Start by marking “Akira, Vol. 5 (Akira, #5)” as Want to Read:
Akira, Vol. 5 (Akira, #5)

Akira, Vol. 5 (Akira: 6 Volumes #5)

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  3,648 ratings  ·  40 reviews
In the 21st century, the once-glittering Neo-Tokyo lies in ruins, leveled in minutes by the infinite power of the child psychic giant, Akira. Now a wasteland of rubble and anarchy, the Great Tokyo Empire rises, a ragtag group of zealots and crazies who worship and fear Akira and his mad prime minister, Tetsuo, an angry teen with immense powers of his own -- and equally imm ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Dark Horse (first published December 10th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Akira, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Akira, Vol. 5

Watchmen by Alan MooreMaus, I by Art SpiegelmanCalvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonV for Vendetta by Alan MooreMaus, II by Art Spiegelman
Best Graphic Novels and Comic Books
129th out of 410 books — 273 voters
Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierMacbeth by William ShakespeareDracula by Bram StokerEmma by Jane AustenHamlet by William Shakespeare
One Name as a Title
110th out of 384 books — 120 voters

More lists with this book...

Eric
(I read Akira in one huge go over a weekend, so I will be cutting and pasting this review for all 6 volumes)

Akira is an epic work of science fiction sequential art. The storyline is complex and consistent. There is social commentary, ethical musing, and morality woven through an action packed storyline of science gone wrong. The "romance" portion of the story is believable as well. The two characters are drawn to one another over time, and the world doesn't stop for them to wallow in their newfo
Jocelyn
Volume 5 focuses more on Tetsuo's growing powers and the different military offenses against Akira. There's also a "turf war" between the Great Tokyo Empire (of which Akira is de facto leader) and Miyako-sama's side, mostly instigated by the Captain of the Great Tokyo Empire. Because people are leaving Akira's side and going to Miyako-sama for food and shelter (two things that Akira's side have failed to adequately supply people with), they hold a rally of some-sorts where Akira and Tetsuo show ...more
Evan
A disappointing downturn in quality—not a particularly abrupt one, nor a considerable change. But still, after the first three volumes, Akira takes a more standard, tropey road. Kaneda is suddenly that whiny, shouty protagonist from every anime I've ever seen. As the drama turns more fantastical it loses a je ne sais quoi driving force, a certain amount of frenetic excitement, even though Otomo's action scenes remain as good as ever.

The intertwining machinations of the American scientists, Amer
Gwen
Help!!! The awesome won't stop!!!
Helmut
Mensch-Maschine

Ein gewisser Stimmungswandel ist zu Beginn dieses 5. und damit vorletzten Bands der Reihe zu spüren: Ein Flugzeugträger mit Soldaten und Wissenschaftlern an Bord ist auf dem Weg, die Bedrohung durch Akira und Tetsuo, die weltweite Ausmaße angenommen hat, ein für allemal zu beenden. Während diese Armada auf rohe Gewalt setzt, planen die anderen Psycho-Mutanten unter Führung von Mutter Miyako einen subtileren Ansatz... Und am Ende dieses Bandes, der sehr abrupt aufhört, steht der Sh
Taruia
Just when you think you know what is going to happen, the massive psychic abilities of Tetsuo blows up part of the moon. I am not going to lie, I did find this a little difficult to follow especially as Kaneda and Kei are drawn similarly. However having said that this is still a great manga and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Mike
Quick thoughts: Nice build towards the finale. Numerous forces with different purposes and plans set to collide. Continues the momentum of volume 4 and is just as good.
Ted Child
The art and story continue to be amazing and the destroyed cityscape wonderfully cathartic. While reading the first couple volumes I felt that sometimes the action was a bit too fast paced. Whether I have grown accustomed to the pace or it’s slowed down a bit I’m not sure but I no longer feel it’s a problem. I have enjoyed the later books more than the first couple, especially since the re-destruction of Tokyo. I’m looking forward to how this series ends and re-watching the movie, hopefully wit ...more
Elizabeth Sinclair-Smith
In this volume, we see more fighting, explosions, and Tetsuo's new hairdo. Looking forward to the surely dramatic conclusion in vol. 6!
Richard
Probably one of the more fast paced volumes. I like all of the 6 but this is the most appealing for me.
John Schneider
The more that I have read this series, the more I wondered why they did not take the time to create a proper sequel to Akira the animated movie. This manga series has such superb depth that I cannot recommend it enough. In this volume of the manga, it managers to start a subtle but penetrating examination of the Japan's relationship with the United States and the rest of the world. I have seen that trope done time and again, but Akira's treatment is level-headed and engaging. And that's not even ...more
Aaron
Feb 12, 2014 Aaron added it
Pree good
Andrew
This is the penultimate book in the series and my challenge for the evening - yes i had to read it in the evening in one go - as the various characters draw to the inevitable conclusion you cannot wonder who will survive and who will not - you will be surprised and if you are familiar with the amine by now you must have realised that nothing is as it seems. The pace is still manic running headlong to what you can only expect to be an epic show down. Read on it does not get better than this.
Andrew Wright
I'd seen the movie a dozen times and loved it, and yet, reading this, I got to love it even more. Akira the movie really only draws on volumes 1, 2 and 6 of the manga. The whole story is great, a lot richer. The artwork is incredibly good. Coincidentally, when I read this, I'd just finished For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Pilar's resistance fighters reminded me a lot of the whole characters and dynamics for the terrorist cell in Akira. Really good comic book.
Don
After reading Books 1-4 in fairly rapid succession, didn't get to Book 5 till 9 or 10 months later. Unfortunate, and with a story this complex definitely affected my appreciation.

Even with that, it's still a clearly incredible work, and in this penultimate volume there is an overpowering sense of everything speeding up, faster and faster, towards the chaos and climax. And yet Otomo is *still* introducing new characters, and developing old ones! Impressive.
Elaine
The anticipation for the next volume is killing me. While this entire volume is pretty much a slow build-up to the ending battle, the pacing itself doesn't feel like it has slowed down. Rather the pacing almost feels like it has ramped up a bit in this volume because of all the action sequences. Like hearing and seeing the bubbles in the water before the pot gets to a full rolling boil. Looking forward to the epic battle that is sure to come.
Neville Ridley-smith
The first half of this seemed to just have the characters going back and forth between various places. The second half had some great stuff but also felt a bit meandering. But you can't go past the awesomely detailed artwork and there *are* some awesome things that happen. I mean, just look at that moon...
Caroline
Akira's not one of my favorite manga series, but it's a staple in the genre and pretty much required reading, in my opinion. This boasts an impressive storyline, interesting characters, and is definitely one of the more complex, adult manga out there.
Dru
Really great stuff. Neo-Tokyo is in ruins. The survivors attempt to finally kill Tetsuo and Akira. I totally forgot most of the plot since I haven't read Akira vol.4 in a while, but it didn't take long get back on track.
Colin Willett
An amazing epic of a biker gang and a child destined to be a god, but he sees his powers as leverage to get what he wants in life. He desperately wants power, no matter who he takes down with him. Part V of VI
Kate Mowery
This is a great series and I am enjoying it a lot, but man, it's just page after page of ugly, ugly people.

Still, as a whole I would say it is better drawn than a lot of mangas.
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
Another great book in the series--this the final build up to the clash! I was metaphorically nail biting by the end of the last book. Can't wait to finish the series!
Abel
Excelente! Falta solo el tomo final
Carl Nelson
This volume is both the most action-packed and, strangely, the most character-centric volume so far. Definitely setting up for the grand finale!
Gaelen
Excellent lead in to final volume. The action really came together, and I can't wait to see how it finishes up. Excellent art, too.
Max
Tetsuo's losing control and multiple forces are gathering against him and Akira. It's about to hit the fan
Kars
The scale of the mayhem just keeps increasing. Otomo's cinematic sequences are just amazing.
Sam
Quite a ride. Otomo's story tears through his art to reach out an pull readers along.
Oliver
Less focused than volume 4, but gripping. Clearly setting up for the finale.
  • PLUTO: 浦沢 直樹 x 手塚 治虫 005 (Pluto, #5)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Vol. 2 (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, #2)
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Tekkon Kinkreet: Black and White
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 3: The Flute of the Fallen Tiger (Lone Wolf and Cub, #3)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 03: Killing Angel
Katsuhiro Otomo (大友 克洋, Otomo Katsuhiro) is a Japanese manga artist, film director, and screenwriter. He is perhaps best known for being the creator of the manga Akira and its anime adaptation, which are extremely famous and influential. Otomo has also directed several live-action films, such as the recent 2006 feature film adaptation of the Mushishi manga.

Katsuhiro Otomo was born in the former to
More about Katsuhiro Otomo...
Akira, Vol. 1 (Akira, #1) Akira, Vol. 2 (Akira, #2) Akira, Vol. 3 (Akira, #3) Akira, Vol. 4 (Akira, #4) Akira, Vol. 6 (Akira, #6)