Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

Longfellow was the most popular poet of his day. This selection includes generous samplings from his longer works—Evangeline, The Courtship of Miles Standish, and Hiawatha—as well as his shorter lyrics and less familiar narrative poems.
Published January 1st 1988 by Penguin Books (first published 1879)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Edward
Oct 14, 2016 Edward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Introduction
Suggestions for Further Reading
A Note on the Text

Longer Works

--Evangeline, A Tale of Acadie (1847)

from The Song of Hiawatha (1855)
--III. Hiawatha's Childhood
--V. Hiawatha's Fasting

--The Courtship of Miles Standish (1858)

from Tales of a Wayside Inn (1863)
--The Landlord's Tale: Paul Revere's Ride
--The Theologian's Tale: Torquemada
--The Poet's Tale: The Birds of Killingworth

The New England Tragedies (1868)
--I. John Endicott
--II. Giles Corey of the Salem Farms
--Finale

--Morituri Salutam
Paula
May 05, 2017 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Snow-Flakes
"Out of the bosom of the Air,
Out of the cloud-folds of her garments shaken,
Over the woodlands brown and bare,
Over the harvest-fields forsaken,
Silent, and soft, and slow
Descends the snow.

Even as our cloudy fancies take
Suddenly shape in some divine expression,
Even as the troubled heart doth make
In the white countenance confession,
The troubled sky reveals
The grief it feels.

This is the poem of the air,
Slowly in silent syllables recorded;
This is the secret of despair,
Long in its c
Morgan Schmidt
Nov 06, 2016 Morgan Schmidt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BR#3

Poems are something I never thought I would say I enjoy, but after reading a book of selected poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow my opinion on them has completely changed. The writer of the poems in this book Henry Wadsworth longfellow uses pain and sadness to make a sad thing beautiful. He uses things like death to make you realize how important and beautiful life is. I have never before wanted to read poetry because every time a teacher has made me read it I have hated it. This book has
Angelique
This volume of selected poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was a true delight to read. The shorter poems in the beginning of this book already blew me away with their beautiful language, and I found many poems that I want to memorize. The excerpts from The Song of Hiawatha were strange at best, but with Evangeline Longfellow won my heart. The Courtship of Miles Standish with its witty and funny tone was a nice closure for this volume. The longer poems gave women a voice and showed their intelli ...more
Jenn
Nov 10, 2013 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume of poetry was an enjoyable and inspirational read. While there are many controversies surrounding Longfellow's style and motivations, it cannot be denied that his work is wonderful and crafted well.

I could not locate my favorite compilation of his work on good reads. The antique books I collect are sometimes a challenge to locate and share, but here is the information.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Selected Poems Copyright 1967 By the Peter Pauper Press of Mount Vernon, New York. Edited
Jeremy
Jun 12, 2012 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, poetry
Nice to "get back into" Longfellow. I taught only a few of his poems, and that was several years ago. I remember starting "Evangeline" and really enjoying the beauty of the language; don't remember if I ever finished it. See more here: http://www.themundanemuse.blogspot.co...
Sammy
Sep 10, 2016 Sammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
One of my top dozen pre-WWII poets in the English language, alongside Shakespeare, Dryden, Wordsworth, Keats, Emerson, Whitman, Dickinson, Tennyson, Christina Rossetti, Yeats, and Wallace Stevens. (Although perhaps, admittedly, clocking in at a distant #12.)
Dayna Smith
Dec 24, 2016 Dayna Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: got-classics, poetry
A wonderful selection of Longfellow's most famous poems, both long and short, as well as two of his plays. A classic must read for all who love American poetry and those who would like to learn to love it, or at least be exposed to it.
Zcrowley50
I enjoyed Evangeline, and the rest was fine but that was it, just fine. I expected more.

Longfellow seems more a recorder, an historian, than an artist. Everything carefully sculpted and fit into its mold. Certainly has his place, though.

Erika
Probably my favorite poet. Whatever emotion whether joy or deep sorrow, hope is always the silver lining. Truth. Goodness. Beauty. Every. Single. Time.
Jeffrey
Oct 08, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Hey, it's Wadsworth. Can I add to the millions of words already said about the man. Think not. Won't not. Don't not.
Anna
Jun 04, 2016 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
'The Rainy Day' is my favourite poem from this book. So true and well written.
Zepp
Jun 05, 2008 Zepp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: learnthatpoem
The good ones are real good ones. Evangeline is thrill.
There are others, though.
Dani
Jun 24, 2016 Dani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some poems I found to be extremely delightful, and some tested my patience. Worth the read anyways.
Greg Bem
Greg Bem rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2013
Sabra
Sabra rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2014
Laura rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Rachel
Apr 03, 2017 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am no great critic of poetry. Most of the time I get bored with it pretty quickly but I quite enjoyed this book of poetry. I picked it up after reading a book about Longfellow meeting and courting his second wife and decided to read some of his work. If any of you happen to outlive me and attend my funeral, I hope that someone will read the poem titled "a psalm for life" for me. It has just enough hope to be inspirational and hopefully inspiring enough to move those who are survivors to good w ...more
Bobby
Bobby rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Dave Donahoe
Dave Donahoe rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Boris
Boris rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2010
Caron Staney
Caron Staney rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Thea
Thea rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Marty
Marty rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2008
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Jennifer Murchison
Jennifer Murchison rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Collected Poetry of Paul Laurence Dunbar
  • The Figured Wheel: New and Collected Poems, 1966-1996
  • Selected Poems
  • Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Selected Poetry
  • Collected Poems
  • Selected Poetry
  • The Odes of John Keats
  • The Word Exchange: Anglo-Saxon Poems in Translation
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...

“Darkness settles on roofs and walls,
But the sea, the sea in the darkness calls;
The little waves, with their soft, white hands,
Efface the footprints in the sands,
And the tide rises, the tide falls.”
1 likes