Start by marking “The Wall Street Journal Guide to the New Rules of Personal Finance: Essential Strategies for Saving, Investing, and Building a Portfolio in a World Turned Upside Down” as Want to Read:

Everything you thought you knew about saving, managing risk, and securing your financial future has changed.

The world is very different in the wake of the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression. Retirement accounts have been eviscerated, risk appetites diminished, and questions raised about age-old personal finance strategies such as "buy and hold" and t

Published December 28th 2010 by HarperBusiness (first published December 15th 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about The Wall Street Journal Guide to the New Rules of Personal Finance

Mel
Nov 10, 2016 Mel rated it liked it
Waiting for my turn at the babershop. I liked it. Recommended.
Collin
May 20, 2016 Collin rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
Dave Kansas does a great job laying out the basics of investing for retirement, keeping in mind the lessons we learned during the last financial crisis. He explains the basics of mutual funds and ETFs but also explains investing in real estate, annuities and commodities, things which were foreign to me before this book.

The gems I got from this book: 1) make your home your home and not an investment to be cashed in on. 2) diversify! Don't just pile everything on your 401k (as I'm doing right now
Scott Shipp
Apr 10, 2016 Scott Shipp rated it liked it
I can recommend this for the strong stance on frugality and growing wealth slowly. It is a short quick read. Go for it. There are better books to read, though. The advice falls into two camps: first, obvious advice that is always right no matter what time you are in, and second, advice that is aimed at the past four years (book was written four years ago at the time of this review) and which I would consider hit-or-miss. Not sure the author really nailed it.
Blake Cleckler
May 06, 2013 Blake Cleckler rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting and had some good ideas. It did not read like a text book like other informative books I have read, and that is a plus! Recommended for people interested in ideas on saving and investing.
Tatiana Jimenez
Sep 23, 2014 Tatiana Jimenez rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
A good post-financial crisis book about personal finance. It wasn't as in-depth regarding the stock market as I'd hoped, but it was a well written and well researched book, and I learned some new things.
Caitlin
May 02, 2011 Caitlin rated it liked it
It taught me a few things, but none of it completely revolutionary. In fact, I'd debate that some of his "old rules" were contrived to complete the book and justify the "new rules". "Get rich, die broke"? Who ever really believed that was the way to be successful?
Ginny
Apr 22, 2014 Ginny rated it liked it
Nothing earth-shattering in this book, but it reinforces solid savings and investment advice.
Sharon Thomas
May 15, 2016 Sharon Thomas rated it did not like it
Outdated and overly simplistic
Julie
Mar 08, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
Has some good advice for getting your personal finances on track. It was a good book to read through at the start of the year...
Andrew
Nov 11, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it
Best practices that factor in globalizaton and lessons we've learned after 2008-9. Easy to digest.
Katharine Rudzitis
Sep 07, 2015 Katharine Rudzitis rated it it was ok
A basic overview of smart saving/spending/investing strategies, but other books in the canon do a better job.
Qwerty
Mar 02, 2011 Qwerty rated it did not like it
Very superficial.
Sandy
A little too much of the author's political/social philosophy, and not enough practical advice on investment strategies.
Kerri
Kerri rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Michael Zalla
Michael Zalla rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Nahush Patel
Nahush Patel rated it liked it
May 01, 2013
Tri Ahmad Irfan
Tri Ahmad Irfan rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Armando
Armando rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2017
Rene
Rene rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Betsy Book
Betsy Book rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Channing Lenert
Channing Lenert rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Jessie H
Jessie H rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Bridgette
Bridgette rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Russell Kruse
Russell Kruse rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2013
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Gabriel Becerril Parreño
Gabriel Becerril Parreño rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2017
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Yesenia
Yesenia rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2012