Start by marking “The Final Call: Hockey Stories from a Legend in Stripes” as Want to Read:
The Final Call: Hockey Stories from a Legend in Stripes

The Final Call: Hockey Stories from a Legend in Stripes

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  244 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
After thirty years as an official in the National Hockey League, legendary referee Kerry Fraser has decided to hang up his skates and enjoy the game from the other side of the boards. Never shy about offering his opinion or afraid to step in and separate an on-ice fight, Fraser is arguably the most respected referee in the history of the game. Over the course of the 2,165 ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Fenn Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Final Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Call

Nick
Jun 12, 2012 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
In the interest of full disclosure, I have been a hockey official for the past 22 years. So this book is totally in my wheel house. Kerry did a great job telling some awesome stories from his 30+ years in the NHL. This book isn't just for refs. This book is perfect for any hockey fan.
Mike Smith
Kerry Fraser has an impressive memory of the details of his career, especially regarding anyone who ever praised him for his years of service. I would have preferred to read less about every person who would miss him after 2,165 games and more about how he got there. Dividing his memories by team left the narrative disjointed, and it felt like he focused on the history of each franchise more than his own history. That might seem humble if he wasn't constantly reminding us everyone thinks he's th ...more
Lyricsninja
Aug 03, 2011 Lyricsninja rated it really liked it
outstanding book. from start to finish it is a really crisp, different view of the game of hockey. while being a player may be tough, its likely equally tough to go in there and officiate. kerry frasier may have been one of the best referees to ever grace the game. there are quite a few stories in there that are simply outstanding. how many other people can say they officiated games with greats like gretsky, lindros, lemieux, forsberg, etc etc. and yet it isnt just a story of his respect for tho ...more
Kate Willoughby
Mar 06, 2014 Kate Willoughby rated it liked it
It was interesting to see the game from a referee's perspective, but the way he wove the thread of his last game through the entire book--and I mean the entire book--got a little tedious. I'd be interested to see what other people think of it. It was par for the course for memoirs of hockey careers. I sure think he'd be a neat guy to meet.
Ryan
Jul 15, 2015 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting stories from his years of officiating but completely ruined by how egotistical he is. Score for the book would be higher if not for this fact.
David
Jul 22, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
Mr. Fraser is a class act through and through. He gives you a true inside story on officiating in the NHL and the hard work it takes to get (and stay) there. Good read.
Walter
Jul 14, 2011 Walter rated it liked it
Kerry Frasier desperately needed an editor for this book. While I really enjoy the hockey antidotes he's gather over three decades in the NHL, his writing has the uncanny ability to suck the drama out of nearly every situation and story. While this ability probably served him well as a referees, it's not great as an author. The writing isn't very good, and his parenthetical additions quickly become both obnoxious and burdensome (he'll even add things that are completely pointless, like I just di ...more
Bob
May 22, 2014 Bob rated it it was amazing
I'm a referee, and Kerry puts out some great stories and amazing information. A must read for anyone who is interested in the life of a referee.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Jan 19, 2011 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read
Shelves: sports, memoir
My boyfriend bought this because he enjoys reading hockey memoirs. So do I, come to that, but I don't think I would have bought this one. He was less than thrilled with this one because it had a lot of moralizing, particularly religious. I'm getting the same impression, but it does still have some funny and interesting stories. Between the Lines may be a better book, if you just want a look at hockey from an official's perspective.

Okay, page 96 and the style (and content) are starting to annoy m
Fran Fabrizio
Mar 26, 2014 Fran Fabrizio rated it liked it
The player anecdotes are fascinating, and helps the reader get over the revelation that Kerry Fraser is kinda smug and arrogant.
Fred Schadek
Apr 19, 2016 Fred Schadek rated it did not like it
OK, but nothing special. Very self-aggrandizing.
Sherry
Dec 29, 2014 Sherry rated it did not like it
Way too much name dropping and he comes across as an egotistical ass!
Carla
Jun 20, 2011 Carla rated it liked it
I very much enjoyed this book, being an NHL hockey fan and a Kerry Fraser fan. There are some great stories about some of the best players in the league, and a lot of insight into what officials have to deal with. He does sounds a bit preachy and gives himself a huge amount of credit but it is an autobiography so it wasn't really unexpected. I think it would be an enjoyable read for someone who wants a behind the scenes look at Kerry Fraser's life as an official.
Yan
Dec 03, 2012 Yan rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best hockey books I've read in a while. It gave some insight about what actually goes on on the ice between players and officials. Kerry Fraser talks about his most memorable NHL arenas and his most moments in each of them. He references some games that I remember watching on TV, as well as ones that I attended. I recommend this to any hockey fan.
Lauren1012
Dec 28, 2011 Lauren1012 rated it really liked it
Overall a very good book. Fraser shares his unique perspective of a game that most of us see from our chouches (or if we're really lucky, from the ice). The anecdotes and history and personal stories shared by one of the best at his profession were very interesting. At times it felt a bit melodramatic but I give a pass to a guy who isn't a writer by trade.
Marc Leroux
Feb 15, 2013 Marc Leroux rated it it was ok
I've always liked Kerry Fraser. He was a good referee; (almost) always fair, and one that let the players decide the game. On a trip up to Canada I saw this book in Chapters and immediately snatched it up. While the stories are interesting, and there is a lot of detail in some of them, the writing style made it difficult for me to really get into.
Neil Crocker
Jan 31, 2016 Neil Crocker rated it it was ok
Apparently Kerry Fraser was a legendary NHL referee who recently retired. (Is there such a thing?) After he retired, he wrote a book about his last season and his greatest experiences in the NHL. If you're crazy about hockey, this is a about a 2-star read. For the rest of us 1-star is about it.
Naomi
Mar 31, 2013 Naomi rated it it was amazing
As a young hockey referee, I enjoyed reading this book. I often find autobiographies hard to read, but Kerry is a really great author and I would often laugh out loud as I read the stories that he shared about his time as a referee in the NHL.
Nicole
Feb 20, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Kerry Fraser chronicles his 33 years as an NHL official. Fraser was always my favorite NHL referee. I loved reading stories about all the players I knew while growing up watching hockey. A must read for anyone who loves hockey.
Neil
Aug 04, 2015 Neil rated it really liked it
Mr. Fraser gets a little sentimental at times but tells stories of some of the behind the scenes moments you would expect a referee to have.
Flyerbid
if you are a hockey fan it has a unique perspective.
David
May 09, 2012 David rated it really liked it
An entertaining insight to what goes on behind the scenes and on the ice.
Tim Hill
Feb 03, 2012 Tim Hill rated it it was amazing
Loved the book. Different point of veiw of teh hockey world.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This book is very interesting to me. I liked it a lot. J.M.
Holzster
Feb 09, 2013 Holzster rated it really liked it
Good tp read if you like hockey
Kelly Gressley
Jan 11, 2011 Kelly Gressley rated it it was amazing
I loved reading about Kerry Fraser!
Alex N.
Alex N. marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Matthew Stetz
Matthew Stetz marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
  • Hockey Confidential: Inside Stories from People Inside The Game
  • Tough Guy: My Life on the Edge
  • Don Cherry's Hockey Stories, Part 2
  • Made in America
  • Future Greats and Heartbreaks: A Year Undercover in the Secret World of NHL Scouts
  • The Day I (Almost) Killed Two Gretzkys: And Other Off The Wall Stories About Sports...And Life
  • Brodeur: Beyond the Crease