Start by marking “No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva” as Want to Read:
No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva

No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  2,018 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Over the years, Pema Chödrön's books have offered readers an exciting new way of living: developing fearlessness, generosity, and compassion in all aspects of their lives. In this new book, she invites readers to venture further along the path of the "bodhisattva warrior," explaining in depth how we can awaken the softness of our hearts and develop true confidence amid the ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 1st 2005)

Buddhajeans Lyngaas
Jan 03, 2012 Buddhajeans Lyngaas rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Buddhajeans by: bookstores
Pema Chädrön is a wise woman and this book are an important book for everybody not only Buddhists, in a world developing faster than ever with more choices than ever. Still we have developed a world of fear with financial crises and terrorism. This beautiful book is pinpointing the need to develop true compassion for others. Only by walking in the city you will on your way see homeless, drug addict or mentally unstable people, stop breathing in their pain and blow out your happy wishes for them. ...more
Chodron looks into the life of Shantideva. He was a monk that all the other monks made fun of because he seemed lazy, dirty and undisciplined. Well then he opened his mouth one day and then began writing scrolls upon scrolls about his teachings - go figure. Another Buddhist metaphor taking the seriousness out of life. Chodron takes her first stab at deconstructing his teachings while still managing to put her American-Pema touch on all her metaphors. Not for the faint of heart, this is an academ ...more
I love Pema Chödrön's books. Dharma lessons not to be missed. I find Buddhism very how-to and helpful. So nuch wisdom for the cost of just one book. Everytime I pick it up off my night stand I am in just the right place, getting the right lesson I need at just the right time. I'm sure many people read this book straight through, but I do not. I read it slowly and reflect on the lessons. I do not know when I will finish it and I do not care, because when I do I will just read it once again. I hig ...more
Gemma Williams
This is a detailed, verse by verse commentary on The Bodhicaryavatara. This is a text that has parts I love, and parts I find difficult, so getting talked through by one of my favourite dharma teachers was a treat, and just as I thought she would, Pema Chodren has elucidated the difficulties for me with her usual humour and warm intelligence. This book has really enriched my understanding.
I also really liked her guidance for studying. I have always liked to do my dharma reading aloud to help me
A wonderful book by Pema Chodron! Pema puts the writings of Shantideva in plain English and reflects her own personal experience with each verse to offer up great lessons for the reader to explore. This book touches on many issues from anger to courage and death. This book has made a huge impact on my life for the better.
This is not an introductory book for someone new to Buddhism. It is an excellent book for someone who knows some basics about Buddhism, has picked up a practice, and wishes to deepen their understanding and spiritual aspirations.

It may be hard to keep in mind that what Pema Chodron writes is the commentary and the text of focus is ancient teachings from the Tibetan lineage of Buddhism. It is customary in Buddhism to do this in order to carry forward the teaching from another time and place to th
Jun 08, 2012 Sharon is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is helping me get through a very difficult time in my life. I think it it more "traditional Buddhist teaching" that some of her other books. It is a wonderful commentary on "The Way Of The Bhodisattva" and a great tool to help you understand how Buddhism is a way of life rather than a religion. Pens makes it easy to understand the poetry and the essence of the text as well as the practical implications of the text.
As usual Pema yields a sword of clarity on the teachings. Very accessible text for anyone making their way through Shantideva's writings.

For more comments see here.
Dot Snyder
I tried and tried to read this. I don't know if it was just over my head or what? I love to hear how people sort out life in their head. What makes them tick? I had trouble with this one, understanding it all.
mis fit
Good stuff as usual from chodron... Simple, thoughtful, and really useful.
Suzanne Arcand
It would be bad form to give this book less than four stars since I read it four time. I'm not sure who to credit for this great book, Shantideva who wrote The Way of the Bodhisattva twelve centuries ago or Pema Chödrön who wrote this commentary.

It amazes me that a book written in eight-century India is still relevant to us in the twenty-first century. Shantideva doesn't only say that loving our neighbor as ourselves will makes us happy but he goes further and says that our neighbor and ourselve
this is a gem...illumination of wisdom heart. i am reading through it very slowly and carefully and will read it again from the beginning as soon as i get to the end. such a rich text. and i am grateful for guidance on the path.

All other foes that I appease and wait upon
Will show me favors, give me every aid,
But should I serve my dark defiled emotions,
They will only harm me, draw me down to grief.

Therefore, if these long-lived ancient enemies of mine,
The wellspring only of increasing woe,
Can fin
Beth P
I waffled between giving this book 3 or 4 stars. The content is 5 star value. I've read many of Pema Chodron's other books and the Buddhist philosophy she teaches makes absolute sense and speaks to me as a spiritual practice. That being said, this particular book is her interpretation of an ancient text written by Shantideva, and it can be a very challenging and frustrating read. Thankfully Pema Chodrom provides the layman's interpretation needed for 21st century Americans to relate. I also read ...more
I generally find Pema Chödrön to be adept at translating Buddhist principles into everyday language with humor. I loved, "The Places that Scare You." This book is a little different from her other works. It's a commentary on Shantideva's "A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way Of Life." Chödrön goes through the classic Mahayana Buddhist text virtually line by line, commenting on meaning, interpretation and practice. If one is to undertake the study of this text, I would recommend this book. She has so ...more
Tim Weakley
A beautiful guide through The Way OF The Bodhisattva by Shantideva. A lot of this book will stay with me for a long time. If you can take even a little from it about treating others with compassion, or even learning compassion in the first place, then the time has been well spent. Grasp the idea that it's okay not to be perfect. We're human; we're not supposed to be perfect. But treat your fellow humans with love and respect.
Jane C O'Keefe
For me, at least, it seemed that it had all been said before. That isn't to say that I have no more to learn. Within another area of spiritual teachings, I suppose.
Fusun Dulger charles
The Lady of Wisdom. Pema Chodron leads you to the way of simplicity and truth in this challenging world we are living in. A must read for Buddhist and non Buddhist.
Oct 29, 2008 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone asking questions about the human condition
To know the human condition and to ask why. That is part of the way. It manifests itself in asking and solidifies itself in knowing, but lives in doing, more like being.
This book was crucial to me for I don't have a teacher in this regard. I am always a believer of balance. This is all about it. To have a lens that I can use and see more clearly is what I think this book is about. It is just as useful as the guide to eating the right foods to attain the right amount of vitamins and minerals, or
Tyrone Martin
this was a difficult and challenging book but very rewarding to get through to work on my compassion
Brigid Schulte
This woman is saving my life.
I started reading this in September and have pretty much read about 20 minutes of it per day since then (obviously rereading portions of it). First, Pema is brilliant and so down to earth. The Way of the Bodhisattva translation is very readable and her commentary really brings it all home. A strong rec if you want some grounding in your life and if you are a meditator, I'd say it's a 'must read.' Will really deepen your practice and outlook. (That said, non-meditators would get a lot out of it a ...more
Andrea Thorpe
I was given this book by a therapist a while back...yes, I've been to a therapist. I pulled a lot of great thoughts out of this book and would highly recommend it to those of us that have minimum knowledge of Buddhism, like myself. Chodron takes the teachings of Shantiveda and puts a professorial spin on them by using excerpts of his writing.

I did, however, find myself drifting constantly and having to reread entire 1/2 pages just to get through it. It is heavy reading and takes time to digest.
Nov 13, 2008 Satia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buudhist, spiritual, sacred text, meditation,
Finally finished this wonderful book. I would love to read this along with Shantideva's The Way of the Bodhichitta and dialogue about it with someone. It took me so long to finish because I kept pausing as I read, putting some of the ideas into practice. I don't feel I've fully tapped into the wealth between the cover. Maybe someday. A book I'll definitely reread.

For a full review:
Barbara Richardson
Some books move beyond text, offering up-close insights and tools for living. I appreciate returning to Shantideva's text and Chodron's commentary on it each weekend, when I choose to chill out from the accumulations of the week and simply be. Buddhists take not suffering seriously, lightly, practically. I'm reminded, with Pema's personal encouragement, that it's wise to side with open-mindedness and simple living.

I finished what I was going to read of this some time last fall and never moved it to the "read" shelf. It's another one of those books that came highly recommended and I just have to say not for me. I don't have a true buddhist sensibility, and trying to get through this just reconfirmed that for me. There are lessons here, I'm sure. I'm just going to have to learn them in a different way.
A talk on a section of Shantideva's "A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of LIfe," this book (and also the audiobook on the same topic) unpacks the 8th century text in modern terms. Scholarly yet unpretentious, this is a great introduction to some of the original Buddhist texts, which can seem a bit intimidating when first approached on your own.
Pema chodron has a way of bringing ancient texts to life, giving them applicability to current times. This book goes through The Way of the Boddhisattva, the ancient Buddhist classic, written in the 8th century by Shantideva. A challenge to heal ourselves and heal our world, starting with an open mind and compassion to ourselves, reaching outward.
I love Pema Chodron and I love her books, but this one is pretty much a translation about Shantideva's writings/poetry. When she interprets these teachings, she often doesn't add any particularly unique voice. Normally, Pema has a real gift for making cryptic, dense teachings very accessible, but that is not the case with this book.
Feb 17, 2009 Cyndee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marianne
Recommended to Cyndee by: Phil
Pema Chodron's commentary and Shantideva's Bodhichar-yavatara, The Way of the Bodhisattva: Not what I'm used to from Pema. Very tough going and well worth it. As did my English teachers on poetry in high school, Pema can interpret the words of Shantideva with a clarity that one wouldn't necessarily get on one's own reading.
Mads P.
The audio book could have been better if a different voice had narrated the quoted Shanti Deva text instead of one narrator for that and Pema's commentary. It got a little confusing at times. Deva is a bit harsh and dramatic for my taste, but Pema did a great job explaining and making applicable for modern life.
Ani Pema 1 11 May 21, 2009 03:12PM
  • Great Eastern Sun: The Wisdom of Shambhala
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Wise Heart: A Guide to the Universal Teachings of Buddhist Psychology
  • What Makes You Not a Buddhist
  • The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Taming the Tiger Within: Meditations on Transforming Difficult Emotions
  • Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • Crooked Cucumber: The Life and Teaching of Shunryu Suzuki
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three g
More about Pema Chödrön...

“In order to work with difficult outer circumstances, we need to gather our inner strength. If even ten or twenty minutes of meditation a day helps us to do this, let's go for it!” 0 likes
“Making good use of our limited time - the limited time from birth to death, as well as our limited time each day - is the key to developing inner steadiness and calm.” 0 likes