Start by marking “The Case of the Green-Eyed Sister” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Green-Eyed Sister

The Case of the Green-Eyed Sister (Perry Mason #42)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  206 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Sylvia Bain Atwood, a green-eyed beauty in charge of her ailing father's estate, calls on Perry Mason when one of her father's creditors tries to blackmail the family.
Hardcover
Published 1953 by Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Green-Eyed Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Green-Eyed Sister

Ana
Mar 15, 2016 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gostei bastante do livro. O caso que deu origem à história é bastante interessante. Este advogado é de uma inteligência fora de série! A única coisa que não gostei tanto foi o final, achei que foi um bocadinho forçado e não me satisfez inteiramente mas, mesmo assim, gostei!
Bob
Mar 22, 2014 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books off and on for many years. Many years ago, I was an intense fan of the series, and read them all, at least once. Now, after a lot of water over the dam, I'm looking at them again.

Those who are used to really fine mystery writers, such as Ross Macdonald, may find the writing style here off-putting. It can be stiff and mechanical. Nonetheless, I still love the general setting: the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That,
Ed
Jun 08, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, mystery
#42 in the Perry Mason series. The Green-Eyed Sister, who Della Street describes to Perry as "I think she'd cut your heart out for thirty-seven cents...", is a great character. She retains Perry to represent the Bain family against a blackmail plot that could cost them dearly.
But "Little Miss Fix-It" as Perry refers to her won't let him run the case and decides to release information to the police. Eventually, the blackmailer is killed and the other sister is arrested for the murder. "Little Mis
Angie
Dec 14, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't help but love these Perry Mason mysteries. Especially when Della is heavily involved (and even more so when she puts Perry tartly in his place) and Paul makes a strong appearance. I sometimes think that I would read about Perry and Della and Paul sitting around and eating lunch and chatting. No lie.
JoAnne
May 28, 2014 JoAnne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sylvia Atwood has come to Perry for help. Her father is being blackmailed. He started his successful business with money that was lent by a friend, JJ Fritch. Supposedly, Fritch stole this money from a bank. Perry wants to hear the recording that the blackmailer, Brogan, has alluding to Mr. Bain's admission of knowing the money was stolen. Perry is figuring the family's way out of this when Sylvia stumbles onto Fritch's dead body in Brogan apartment. The police then arrest Sylvia's sister Hattie ...more
Nicole
Mar 25, 2016 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-read
Although I've definitely seen this episode of Perry Mason a few times, but I couldn't remember the ending! The books have been fun to read and obviously go more in depth than the tv shows. I still picture the characters exactly like on tv, while reading. This story went a bit too much into the gory details of the corpse (they're all murder mysteries) and a bit too long in the courtroom for my taste, that's why I gave it a 3 star instead of a 4 star rating. The little touches that make these so 1 ...more
Carlos
Jul 13, 2014 Carlos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un buen misterio que me tomó un par de días leerlo. Algo viejo por la temática pero Perry Mason sigue siendo Perry Mason. Un abogado de los buenos.

Aquí tenemos un par de hermanas que están envueltas en un caso de chantaje y solo la inteligencia de Mason evitará que terminen en la cárcel.

Nada como para hablarle a mi Madre a su casa pero aun asi ideal para esos dos dias que estuve solo en casa y me aburría de planchar, lavar, barrer, sacudir, dar de comer a los gatos y tender mi cama. Cualquier co
Stven
Feb 24, 2016 Stven rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Perry Mason story. Unlike many of the books from the 1930s and 1940s, this one from 1953 has aged poorly. The business with the spliced tape recording and surreptitiously erasing it with a magnet feels very tired, and the business with the alibi is so obvious that it's lame. The surrounding personalities don't quite rescue the story. And what does "the polished side of a pencil" mean, anyway?
Amicus (David Barnett)
I had seen the TV version of this before reading the book and the TV adaptation took even more liberties with the original than usual, even down to the identity of the killer.

Definitely this is one of Gardner's better Perry Mason stories with, as far a I could see, no loose ends.
Freya
Jan 09, 2015 Freya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Mason novels have one thing for sure in common, the PYT's. There one for sure in every book and sometimes they are feisty ones like in this one!
Sriluckshmy
the story looks unfinished. I know the case finished and all but still...
Lisa
Nov 30, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like this one as much as some of the others, but still a good read. Because of certain occurances in this book, it should be read towards the end of any group of the Perry Mason books, but before the Grinning Gorilla.
Vincent Darlage
Interesting conclusion, but less satisfying than most of the books in the Perry Mason series - although he made Sgt. Holcomb look like a fool, Hamilton Burger wasn't on scene to be made into legal hamburger.
Ilavenil
Ilavenil rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Manuel Martins
Manuel Martins marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Joyce Kusuma
Joyce Kusuma marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Jul 18, 2016
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Andrei
Andrei marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Gabe
Gabe marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Mike Grill
Mike Grill marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Abhi B
Abhi B rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Kevin Trainer
Kevin Trainer marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
NEMICHAND JAIN
NEMICHAND JAIN marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Farida
Farida rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Irina
Irina added it
Jun 10, 2016
Ravindranath
Ravindranath marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Venkata Subrahmanyam
Venkata Subrahmanyam marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Combine an edition 2 12 Jul 28, 2014 01:43AM
  • The Murderer Is A Fox
  • My Name is Abu Salem
  • The Prisoner
  • False Convictions (Casey Jordan, #3)
  • The Sonderberg Case
  • Second Chance Bride (The Great Wedding Giveaway #2)
  • More From the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency: Blue Shoes and Happiness / The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
  • Secret Words (Secret Dreams, #1)
  • The Door with Seven Locks
  • Home Is the Sailor (Hard Case Crime #7)
  • The Genius Thieves (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #9)
  • American Evita: Hillary Clinton's Path to Power
  • The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery, #2)
  • Lavender Road (London at War)
  • A Royal Legacy (Latvala Royals, #6)
  • Stirring Up Strife (Hope Street Church Mystery, #1)
  • Lovestruck Forever (Lovestruck #3)
  • Speaking Truth to Power

More about Erle Stanley Gardner...

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason Mysteries)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason Mystery)