Start by marking “400 Questions and Answers about the Life and Times of Jesus Christ” as Want to Read:
400 Questions and Answers about the Life and Times of Jesus Christ

400 Questions and Answers about the Life and Times of Jesus Christ

In this engaging volume, renowned gospel scholar and teacher Susan Easton Black explores more than 400 questions many inspired by her own students about the life and times of the Savior. Organized chronologically from the Nativity to the Resurrection, the author's skillful responses lend valuable insight into the childhood and adolescence of Jesus as well as His mortal ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Covenant Communications Inc. (first published September 1st 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about 400 Questions and Answers about the Life and Times of Jesus Christ

Emily
Apr 14, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
I feel a little thrill every time I pick up a book written by Dr. Black. From past experience, I know that the pages will contain a deluge of pertinent information presented in an accessible manner that will enrich my understanding of whatever topic the book covers. 400 Questions and Answers about the Life and Times of Jesus Christ is no different. Dr. Black distills the essential facts regarding common and not-so-common questions about life in Palestine under Roman rule from dozens of authorita ...more
Michelle Llewellyn
Jan 04, 2011 Michelle Llewellyn rated it it was ok
400 questions and yet you'd think in this day and age with the subject of marriage and family being so hotly debated by every society and group on earth the ONE question formost on everyone's mind, "Was Jesus married?" "Was Mary Magdalene married?" would be addressed but, no, this reader was sorely dissapointed.
Only on p. 62 is the subject given a mere passing reference under the question, "Whose wedding did Jesus and His disciples attend in Cana?" had Jesus not been married, we would undoubt
Michael Foley
Dec 26, 2010 Michael Foley rated it really liked it
This is the book I've been waiting for. Although written by a Mormon scholar, the book is almost totally devoid of LDS Doctrine, and I would recommend it to anyone who is curious about Jesus' time. Several of these historical insights made his parables make far more sense than I previously thought. I found this much more interesting than Talmage's Jesus The Christ, as I would not consider this a DOCTRINAL book, but rather a scholarly work to explain why his teachings/parables/terminology were so ...more
Ryan
Aug 17, 2011 Ryan rated it liked it
This book gave me a lot of great perspective on the times of Christ, and put a lot of the New Testament in context. Jewish customs and traditions, as well as structure that you may not be familiar are explain in depth in the book, and it lends some insights into some of the things that happen to Christ, or decisions that might have been made in that time.

It's not a "sit down and read 'till you're done" kind of book. This is a 'sit down and read when you have 5 minutes' kind of book, as each ques
Rachelle
Apr 25, 2012 Rachelle rated it really liked it
A good reference book. Murrieta friends can borrow it if they want. It gives lots of interesting follow through to questions you can't easily find answers to in the NT institute manual or BD. Like the dove was present at the two most important baptisms: Christ and the earth with Noah. And repentance is the first thing out of John the Baptist and Jesus' mouths (in Jerusalem and America). I am reading it as I prepare the Gospel Doctrine lessons for the week. It only deals with the Gospels ...more
Michele
Nov 11, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2014
"the number of occasions in the ministry of Jesus when food played an important role in His farewells. His Galilean ministry closed with the feeding of five thousand. His ministry to the gentile federation of Decapolis ended with his feeding the four thousand. His Judean ministry ended with the Passover feast.
In the closing of the Judean ministry there was a new beginning. 'The final Passover was, in reality, two events rather one: a formal celebration of the annual Passover supper and the firs
Katie
Sep 01, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoyed this book and found it very interesting and informative. Getting the historical background of the time and circumstances in which Jesus lived gives more meaning and understanding to what we read about Jesus in the New Testament. There was so much information in it, I wish I could remember it all.
Rebecca
Jul 09, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was ok
I loved the printing format and the subject matter, but I didn't really understand how the questions and answers fit together all the time. There were a few gems, and this is a useful book for very brief cultural insights, but I think I was expecting something with a bit more information for each answer.
KyneWynn
Jan 16, 2011 KyneWynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-non-fiction
This was a fascinating book -- what I liked most was all of the things I learned about Jewish and Roman culture. I liked the format, the way the book focuses on each period of Christ's life, and the non-preachy tone. It's about the history -- and I also like that it presented more than one interpretation if there is conflicting thought. The pictures were great too.
April
Apr 12, 2015 April rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A 229 page list of questions and explanations. The author didn't always actually answer the question that was posed. Whether that is because she didn't have a answer or editing removed the actual answer is unclear. I did learn things about the customs and culture of the Jews under Roman rule.
Sherrill
Nov 29, 2011 Sherrill rated it really liked it
How in the world does she know all of this graeat information? She knows the most obscure facts. It is amazing to me. The last part about the crucifiction and the atonement was especially inspiring. It makes you want to read everything she has ever written.
Kimber
Feb 20, 2014 Kimber rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed listening to this book (that's how I do most of my reading these days..I have a 40 minute commute each way). I loved the question and answer format.
Leslie
Sep 22, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
LOVE Susan Easton Black. She is a great speaker and I am enjoying this book. It is easy to read and it gives so much insight into the events of the New Testament.
Kristen
Feb 24, 2011 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Some very insightful and fascinating information about Christ and his times, Jewish traditions, laws, customs. I couldn't put it down.
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2011
K.C.
K.C. rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2013
Carla
Carla rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2012
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2012
M
M rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2011
Jeff Hansen
Jeff Hansen rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2011
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2014
Scott Keele
Scott Keele rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2011
Marjorie Norman
Marjorie Norman rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Nephi Jenks
Nephi Jenks rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Kitty
Kitty rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2011
Tracy Willburn
Tracy Willburn rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014