Start by marking “Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie, #6)” as Want to Read:
Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie, #6)

Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie #6)

Rushmore McKenzie, a retired St. Paul policeman and unexpected millionaire, often works as an unlicensed P.I., doing favors as it suits him. When graduate students Ivy Flynn and Josh Berglund show up with a story about $8 million in missing stolen gold from the ‘30s, McKenzie is intrigued.

In the early 20th century, St. Paul, Minnesota was an open city —a place where gangst
Published May 12th 2009 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Jelly's Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jelly's Gold

First Sentence: Frank Nash was dead.

Rushmore McKenzie was a policeman in St. Paul, Minnesota until an unexpected event caused him to resign the force and become a millionaire. Now, he’s an unlicensed PI doing “favors” when something interests him.

In the 1930s, St. Paul was a save haven for the gangsters of the time in a city where the authorities were almost more crooked than the bad guys. Frank “Jelly” Nash was suspected of masterminding the $8 million theft of gold bars in 1933. Nash was kill
Jan 26, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Housewright is like John Sandford's funnier twin brother. They both write mysteries, they've both developed fantastic main characters and they've both established their main characters in Minnesota. They are both, in short, fabulous. Jelly's Gold features Housewright's Rushmore McKenzie, a wise-cracking, kitchen gadget-loving, jazz-fanatic of a character. He's not a detective, just a slightly eccentric guy who uses his former police skills for good. The results are magic. Jelly's Gold is a ...more
Sep 16, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-read
I would never have selected this book to read on my own, but when my book club decided to read it, of course I accepted the assignment! It was a good book - better than I expected. It was a good mystery about murder and a treasure hunt for a cache of gold bars stolen by gangsters and never recovered. The book was filled with interesting characters and fun historical and current references made about Minnesota, specifically the Twin Cities area. Sometimes I did get bogged down in the characters a ...more
May 26, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rushmore McKenzie was a St. Paul policeman until an unexpected event allowed him to retire as a millionaire. Now he does favors for friends as an unlicensed private investigator. When graduate students Ivy Flynn (who first appeared in Tin City) and Josh Berglund come to him and ask for help finding gold never recovered from a 1930's bank robbery in North Dakota, McKenzie is intrigued.

What follows is a wonderful combination of a classic caper story and an interesting look into the seedy underbell
Anna Marie
Reminiscent of Mikey Spillane and Travis McGee.

McKenzie, a retired St. Paul policeman with enough money to have time on his hands, is involved in another mystery. "Jelly" Nash, a gentleman bank robber from the '30s, escaped with 32 gold bars, hid them, and was killed before he could fence them.

Are the bars still buried somewhere in St. Paul? Did someone find them already, or are they up for grabs? McKenzie starts off with two partners, an old friend Ivy and her boyfriend Berglund. But by the ti
May 10, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw the author pick up a MN book award for this and he was a jaunty entertaining speaker. Intrigued, I got the book at the library and was sort of discouraged at first because there are so many characters. Not only do we follow Rushmore McKenzie the sleuth and his immediate comrades, we get a bunch of suspects, hit men and then an entire historical group of gangsters to keep track of. Slow going at first. Being from the Twin Cities I was amazed at the geography the author throws out. "This is ...more
Heather Hammargren
January - lakes book club.
People are looking for "gold" that is hidden in St. Paul from the gangster days. A fast read and the gangster trivia was interesting, as well as all of the references to St. Paul. The lakes book club is talking about doing a gangster tour this summer.
Oct 13, 2015 Oaken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few issues with editing on this book but overall it was a great dance into St. Paul MN past with gangsters and corruption in the 1930s. Nice cast of characters that moved around like a slapstick comedy of yore.
Feb 05, 2016 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jelly's Gold was a break from the usual form for a McKenzie story. I love history, so I really liked this one. AND, as a librarian, I appreciated the value he put on all the libraries he used to research this time in St. Paul and its colorful characters. It was SO easy to believe it all!!
May 31, 2011 Clare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm on a kick where I'm reading books based in the Twin Cities (or Minnesota) by Minnesota authors. This is another one.

If you never had to worry about money again, what would you do? In Rushmore McKenzie's case, he "helps out" friends and solves mysteries. His young friend Ivy wants him to track down a dead gangster's gold. Turns out, St. Paul was a haven for mobsters in the 20s and 30s. This book narrates Jelly's life and death, and McKenzie's investigation. There's also a young bombshell nam
Aug 21, 2015 Anie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
The author clearly did a lot of research, and he dumped much of it into the book with no apparent purpose. It as so boring that I gave up
Aug 28, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was potentially my favorite McKenzie mystery. I loved the historical aspect and it was just a fun read overall.
Al Stoess
Jun 29, 2015 Al Stoess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Housewright fans. McKenzie fans.
Good. Read some time ago but not listed.

Listed with date of June 29, 2015 but read at least a year ago.
Feb 26, 2014 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. I don't enjoy speculation of conversations 60 years earlier.
Barbara Bakal
Long, overly drawn out. Really unrealistic.
Jan 30, 2010 Jame rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of the Rushmore Mckenzie crimes novels, but this one was definitely a 3 star possibly a 2.5 star. The characters were all well developed and I appreciated the brief history on the crime scene of the 20's and 30's but overall the story seemed to stagnate from time to time making this one a bit difficult to complete. I was hoping for more of the intensity that the other novels such as "Dead Boyfriends" and "Pretty Girl Gone", had.
Feb 17, 2011 Su rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I made an unexpected discovery of yet another Minnesota author and found his writing to be most enjoyable. In this book, the author flashes back between the present and the 1930's, a time when gangsters practically owned the city of St. Paul. The mystery itself centers on several groups of people determined to uncover a stash of gold bars hidden in the 30's by bank robber Frank Nash. It was a very entertaining read.
Nov 24, 2009 Marcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Probably a 3.5 star book, really. Just not a four star. Very quick, enjoyable read. Loved the St. Paul references as I'm a transplant to the Twin City area. Mystery was interesting, but had a tidy end that wasn't very complicated. Really liked the style of Mr. Housewright's writing - well-paced and to the point. Had some humor, too, which was a nice touch.
Mar 05, 2010 Karla is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying this. I think it would be a good "if you like Robert B. Parker you might like this author", although the author bristled when I likened him to Parker. He didn't elaborate why he didn't care to be compared, but I feel confident that others feel as I do. As a librarian these connections are very important when acting as a readers' advisor.
Jul 03, 2009 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down. DH always captures my attention from page one. Loved the 1930's gangster plotline. The book has a lot of character. I'm from the St. Paul area and am familiar with landmarks mentioned in the book so that adds a fun element to reading the McKenzie novels. This would make a good movie. Anyone agree?
Tom Hicks
You know a good book when it makes your emotions come out. I've read all of his books and this was one of the best. Got me thinking about researching the facts about the old gansters. I recently saw the movie Public Enemies with Johnny Depp and it was an action based movie with a little history involved. Good movie.
Apr 20, 2010 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just saw Housewright at the Prior Lake Library. He was up for (and won, by the way) a Minnesota Book Award for Jelly's Gold. After seeing him at the library I started reading Jelly's. I liked it, and since I had just seen him and heard him speak, Mackenzie came more to life for me.
Aug 19, 2009 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: minnesota-reads
P.I.Rushmore McKenzie helps out friends again--former cop who won the lottery always helps his friends. . . .this one pulls us into the world of 30s gangsters and long-lost gold (as in bank robberies). Bit of caper and an easy read. Good way to learn about St. Paul history.
Dec 30, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Especially good because I have spent time in St. Paul, Minn.
Al Iverson
A treasure hunt in St. Paul? WOW! OK, it's a little silly....maybe even sillier than the previous McKenzie books. But, I enjoyed it.
Joe O'c
Nov 06, 2009 Joe O'c rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent; Continuing character: Rushmore McKenzie; a treasure hunt for gold stolen by gansters 70 years prior leads to murder
Nov 17, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Rush McKenzie series by this Minnesota author. This time his case deals with the 1930s gangster era in St. Paul.
Stephanie Wnetrzak

Another well done story! Still loving Mac and all the characters. The buried treasure plot line was fun and different!
Kim Nielsen
Jul 17, 2009 Kim Nielsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Minnesotan-at-heart, and as a fan of Rushmore McKenzie, I highly recommend this series!
Feb 15, 2010 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
i really enjoy my local authors, david does not dissapoint
  • The Enraged (Jonathan Quinn, #7)
  • Stray Bullets (Detective Greene, #3)
  • Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway
  • The Devil's Bed
  • The Wild Beasts of Wuhan (Ava Lee, #3)
  • In The Dark (Jonathan Stride, #4)
  • Marriage Can Be Murder (Dr. Benjamin Bones Mysteries, #1)
  • The Night Searchers
  • Silencing Sam (Riley Spartz, #3)
  • A Welcome Grave (Lincoln Perry, #3)
  • Resort to Murder: Thirteen More Tales of Mystery by Minnesota's Premier Writers
  • Assassins of Athens (Andreas Kaldis, #2)
  • Shotgun Alley (Weiss & Bishop, #2)
  • A Bolt from the Blue: The Epic True Story of Danger, Daring, and Heroism at 13,000 Feet
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • Dark End of the Street
  • The Good Humor Man: Or, Calorie 3501
  • Brush Back (V.I. Warshawski, #17)
A reformed newspaper reporter and ad man, Housewright's book "Penance" (Foul Play Press) earned the 1996 Edgar Award for Best First Novel from the Mystery Writers of America and was nominated for a Shamus in the same category by the Private Eye Writers of America.

"Practice to Deceive" won the 1998 Minnesota Book Award (it is currently being developed as a feature film) and "Jelly's Gold" won the s
More about David Housewright...

Mac McKenzie (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2)
  • Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3)
  • Dead Boyfriends (Mac McKenzie, #4)
  • Madman on a Drum (Mac McKenzie, #5)
  • The Taking of Libbie, SD (Mac McKenzie, #7)
  • Highway 61 (Mac McKenzie, #8)
  • Curse of the Jade Lily (Mac McKenzie, #9)
  • The Last Kind Word (Mac McKenzie, #10)
  • The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)