Start by marking “Taller Tales” as Want to Read:
Taller Tales

Taller Tales

A modern myth of fantasy and imagination, THE SANDMAN PRESENTS: TALLER TALES chronicles the adventures of the curious inhabitants of the dimension known as the Dreaming. An alternate subconscious reality in which dreams occur, the Dreaming is a land of fantastical creatures that script and act in the theatrical productions that are humans' sleeping fantasies. A highly inve ...more
Published November 1st 2003 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Taller Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taller Tales

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Not bad. But nothing like FABLES!!!
Matt
Aug 17, 2007 Matt rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: sandman completists
I learned how important Neil Gaiman's sensibility was to the sandman universe.

Bill Willingham's work is simplistic and rough where Gaiman's was nuanced. He even introduces a cute kid character(junior librarian Billy Nod) to have gee-whiz neato adventures.

Reading this felt like watching a hollywood adaptation of a favorite book. Strike that, a WB network tv adaptation of a favorite book. Willingham's "Fables" stuff is nice and fluffy, but I don't think that's what I was looking for in the sandma
Luciana Darce
Oct 30, 2014 Luciana Darce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dois motivos para você largar tudo o que estiver lendo e pegar esse volume imediatamente: Neil Gaiman e Bill Willingham.

Fiquei MALUCA com Contos Fabulosos. Não necessariamente porque essa coletânea tenha histórias fantásticas, mas porque elas são incrivelmente leves e divertidas, um presente maravilhoso para todos os fãs de Sandman. São histórias que te deixam sorrindo estupidamente. Ou que, pelo menos, ME deixaram sorrindo estupidamente.

Contos Fabulosos reúne três contos fechados, independentes
Liss Capello
Dec 06, 2016 Liss Capello rated it liked it
A short collection of comics set in and tied to the Sandman universe, by other authors. So none of this is Neil Gaiman's work, but many of the characters are his. It's kind of uneven, and the volume contains several different components, so I'll speak briefly to each of them.

Merv Pumpkinhead, Agent of D.R.E.A.M. - the conceit of Merv Pumpkinseed as a 007-style special agent is slightly amusing, but not really my style, so this particular story didn't do much for me. I do like Merv as a character
Punk
Jun 22, 2008 Punk rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Graphic Novel. This reads exactly like Willingham writing Fables in the Sandman universe. Since that's what it is, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I really couldn't get into it.

There's four stories here: Merv Pumpkinhead as the James Bond of the Dreaming; Danny Nod, an original Willingham character that irritated me (see page 77 where Danny acknowledges that "for some reason pretty girls get tied up a lot in boys' adventure fiction" and then walks off and leaves them that way);
Melissa Chung
May 24, 2014 Melissa Chung rated it liked it
Took me a while to finish this. Not because it was long or hard to read but kind of boring. So boring in fact I forgot to update my goodreads to read and write the review yesterday.

So Review... The book is broken up into 4 stories. Some longer than others. All of the stories had to do with dreamdom or dreamland or however they called it. This is a land where all your dream characters and nightmares reside. These "dream" people have jobs like categorizing your dreams and making up scripts for you
Lauri
Mar 24, 2013 Lauri rated it liked it
Fablesi-mehe Bill Willinghami panus Sandmani-maailma. Eks selline päris kõva Fablesi-mekk on man, Gaimani Sandmani süngusest pole haisugi, selline ihhihhii ja ahhahhaa ainult kogu aeg ja kõvasti hollivuudlik on ka. Aga no huvitav oli ikka. Kõige parem oli vististi Bondi paroodia, Merv Pumpkinhead superagendi osas. Raamatukoguhoidja seiklusi kadunud raamatute kojutoomisel elas Willingham hiljem välja Jack of the Fables - nimelises Fablesi kõrvalsarjas ja nõid Thessaly lugu oli selline...veidravõi ...more
Cale
May 05, 2012 Cale rated it really liked it
An interesting exploration of Bill Willingham stories in the Sandman's world. Some feel like prototypes for his Fables books; there's a lot of Thessaly in the librarians in Jack of Fables (and Jack himself gets a mention). The Thessaliad I think I'd read before, but if I did, I completely missed most of its meaning. A fantastic story about stories, and very much in Gaiman's style. The other stories were enjoyable as well, but the Thessaliad was definitely the highlight.
Shipofools999
Nov 28, 2015 Shipofools999 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Good Sandman stories. Typical darkness and gore for the Sandman comics. I don't know why I am not creeped out by this in these books but I am unfazed.

It is a series of stories about secondary characters ( I love Thessally) and it is nice to see them fleshed out. Not by Gaiman but he overseas the project and it has his stamp of approval.

I do recommend this book.
Lucy Werner
Jan 30, 2013 Lucy Werner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome-books
I haven't read the sandman series yet, needless to say reading this today it has gone up to the top of my graphic reading list.
Bill Willingham is my favourite graphic writer so far, fables is still my favourite but this book is amazing! I thoroughly enjoyed it, to the point I was reading it while walking to work, something I've never done! it's a must for all fable fans!
M Strawberry Reviews
Overall, this is not the best addition to the Sandman library. Sure, Bill Willingham wrote it, but this volume will only really appeal to die-hard Sandman fans, as this can not really be read on its own, requiring understanding of the Sandman universe. Some of the tales are pretty good, but a few are meh.
Allison
Mar 08, 2013 Allison rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I had a surprisingly hard time reading this. I really enjoyed the story of Nod, and the Everything You Wanted to Know About Dreams But Were Afraid to Ask series. The Thessiliad was ok, but again, just struggled caring about the other characters and the world. Maybe because I haven't read Sandman?
Donald Armfield
May 23, 2011 Donald Armfield rated it really liked it
Merv Pumpkinhead gets Five stars, if he was the orignal James Bond i would`v probably enjoyed those movies

Thessaly is one crazy bitch! she gets 5 stars very gory 3 chapters

The rest of this collection was Blah to me
Piotr
Jun 18, 2008 Piotr rated it really liked it
Merv Pumpkinhead as an oneiric James Bond is one of my favourites. Also "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Dreams" gives some insights about the realm of Morpheus. A slightly humorous relief from the dark world of Sandman.
Jane
Feb 02, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
Love this book mainly for the Thessaly story, and the vignettes at the end about Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Dreams. An easy, breezy read.
Melissa Bryan
Jul 06, 2014 Melissa Bryan rated it it was amazing
What a great read. This book is very entertaining, funny and great art. A must read.
Ryan Haupt
Mar 14, 2012 Ryan Haupt rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Haven't spent much time in the Sandman universe lately, really enjoyed the Bond-esque Merv Pumpkinhead story. Good times.
Brian
Jul 27, 2010 Brian rated it liked it
Slightly gory and not as satisfying as the Sandman series. Thessaly story was intriguing, and well written. She is a character that begged for further notice.
Bradley
Apr 15, 2011 Bradley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
If you've read and fallen in love with Neil Gaiman's Sandman series then pick up a copy of this book.
Virdilak
Nov 09, 2007 Virdilak rated it really liked it
Spinoff-story featuring Thessaly from The Sandman.
Feather Mista
Feb 01, 2011 Feather Mista marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Feather by: Autor y serie, supongo
Después tengo que chequear bien qué contiene este tomo y si se editó en castellano alguna vez. Por ahora dejo marcada la edición en portugués porque sí.
Jessica
Jul 07, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Thessaly and Merv (two of my favorite minor characters from Sandman) get expanded...? Yes, please. And thank you. Well done, too.
Kylee Click
Kylee Click rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2016
Paul Taylor
Paul Taylor rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Fabiano Da Silva
Fabiano Da Silva rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
Einar Nielsen
Einar Nielsen rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Coeli
Coeli rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2011
Jonathan Scotese
Jonathan Scotese rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2012
Maye
Maye rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
  • The Books of Faerie: Auberon's Tale
  • The Dreaming: Beyond the Shores of Night
  • Lucifer, Vol. 3: A Dalliance With the Damned
  • The Sandman: Gallery of Dreams
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many ...more
More about Bill Willingham...