Start by marking “Taller Tales” as Want to Read:
Taller Tales

Taller Tales (The Sandman Presents)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  450 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A modern myth of fantasy and imagination, THE SANDMAN PRESENTS: TALLER TALES chronicles the adventures of the curious inhabitants of the dimension known as the Dreaming. An alternate subconscious reality in which dreams occur, the Dreaming is a land of fantastical creatures that script and act in the theatrical productions that are humans' sleeping fantasies. A highly inve ...more
Published November 1st 2003 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Taller Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taller Tales

Aug 17, 2007 Matt rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sandman completists
I learned how important Neil Gaiman's sensibility was to the sandman universe.

Bill Willingham's work is simplistic and rough where Gaiman's was nuanced. He even introduces a cute kid character(junior librarian Billy Nod) to have gee-whiz neato adventures.

Reading this felt like watching a hollywood adaptation of a favorite book. Strike that, a WB network tv adaptation of a favorite book. Willingham's "Fables" stuff is nice and fluffy, but I don't think that's what I was looking for in the sandma
Luciana Darce
Dois motivos para você largar tudo o que estiver lendo e pegar esse volume imediatamente: Neil Gaiman e Bill Willingham.

Fiquei MALUCA com Contos Fabulosos. Não necessariamente porque essa coletânea tenha histórias fantásticas, mas porque elas são incrivelmente leves e divertidas, um presente maravilhoso para todos os fãs de Sandman. São histórias que te deixam sorrindo estupidamente. Ou que, pelo menos, ME deixaram sorrindo estupidamente.

Contos Fabulosos reúne três contos fechados, independentes
Melissa Chung
Took me a while to finish this. Not because it was long or hard to read but kind of boring. So boring in fact I forgot to update my goodreads to read and write the review yesterday.

So Review... The book is broken up into 4 stories. Some longer than others. All of the stories had to do with dreamdom or dreamland or however they called it. This is a land where all your dream characters and nightmares reside. These "dream" people have jobs like categorizing your dreams and making up scripts for you
Graphic Novel. This reads exactly like Willingham writing Fables in the Sandman universe. Since that's what it is, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I really couldn't get into it.

There's four stories here: Merv Pumpkinhead as the James Bond of the Dreaming; Danny Nod, an original Willingham character that irritated me (see page 77 where Danny acknowledges that "for some reason pretty girls get tied up a lot in boys' adventure fiction" and then walks off and leaves them that way);
Thessaly and Merv (two of my favorite minor characters from Sandman) get expanded...? Yes, please. And thank you. Well done, too.
oh gott Wie schrecklich! Das hat mehr mit spongebob zu tun, als mit sandman! Ganz schnell wieder vergessen!
Melissa Bryan
What a great read. This book is very entertaining, funny and great art. A must read.
Fablesi-mehe Bill Willinghami panus Sandmani-maailma. Eks selline päris kõva Fablesi-mekk on man, Gaimani Sandmani süngusest pole haisugi, selline ihhihhii ja ahhahhaa ainult kogu aeg ja kõvasti hollivuudlik on ka. Aga no huvitav oli ikka. Kõige parem oli vististi Bondi paroodia, Merv Pumpkinhead superagendi osas. Raamatukoguhoidja seiklusi kadunud raamatute kojutoomisel elas Willingham hiljem välja Jack of the Fables - nimelises Fablesi kõrvalsarjas ja nõid Thessaly lugu oli selline...veidravõi ...more
An interesting exploration of Bill Willingham stories in the Sandman's world. Some feel like prototypes for his Fables books; there's a lot of Thessaly in the librarians in Jack of Fables (and Jack himself gets a mention). The Thessaliad I think I'd read before, but if I did, I completely missed most of its meaning. A fantastic story about stories, and very much in Gaiman's style. The other stories were enjoyable as well, but the Thessaliad was definitely the highlight.
Lucy Werner
I haven't read the sandman series yet, needless to say reading this today it has gone up to the top of my graphic reading list.
Bill Willingham is my favourite graphic writer so far, fables is still my favourite but this book is amazing! I thoroughly enjoyed it, to the point I was reading it while walking to work, something I've never done! it's a must for all fable fans!
I had a surprisingly hard time reading this. I really enjoyed the story of Nod, and the Everything You Wanted to Know About Dreams But Were Afraid to Ask series. The Thessiliad was ok, but again, just struggled caring about the other characters and the world. Maybe because I haven't read Sandman?
Merv Pumpkinhead as an oneiric James Bond is one of my favourites. Also "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Dreams" gives some insights about the realm of Morpheus. A slightly humorous relief from the dark world of Sandman.
Donald Armfield
Merv Pumpkinhead gets Five stars, if he was the orignal James Bond i would`v probably enjoyed those movies

Thessaly is one crazy bitch! she gets 5 stars very gory 3 chapters

The rest of this collection was Blah to me
Slightly gory and not as satisfying as the Sandman series. Thessaly story was intriguing, and well written. She is a character that begged for further notice.
Love this book mainly for the Thessaly story, and the vignettes at the end about Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Dreams. An easy, breezy read.
Federiken Masters
Feb 01, 2011 Federiken Masters marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Federiken by: Autor y serie, supongo
Después tengo que chequear bien qué contiene este tomo y si se editó en castellano alguna vez. Por ahora dejo marcada la edición en portugués porque sí.
Ryan Haupt
Haven't spent much time in the Sandman universe lately, really enjoyed the Bond-esque Merv Pumpkinhead story. Good times.
If you've read and fallen in love with Neil Gaiman's Sandman series then pick up a copy of this book.
Spinoff-story featuring Thessaly from The Sandman.
Jenn Lafornara
Jenn Lafornara marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Porc Trou
Porc Trou marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Carleigh marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
  • Lucifer, Vol. 10: Morningstar
  • The Dreaming: Beyond the Shores of Night
  • The Dreaming: Through the Gates of Horn and Ivory
  • Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, Vol. 1
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many ...more
More about Bill Willingham...

The Sandman Presents (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Hellblazer: Marquee Moon