Thessaly: Witch for Hire

Thessaly: Witch for Hire (The Sandman Presents)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  1,167 ratings  ·  59 reviews
HELP WANTED

As the world's oldest, most powerful witch,Thessaly has learned through millennia of experience to be prepared for almost anything, but since she could never have foreseen the persistence of one lovesick ghost names Fetch--or the conniving, underhanded lengths he would go to in order to win her heart.

Attaching her name to a monster slaying business behind her b...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Thessaly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thessaly

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
SPOILER ALERT: This review has genital warts in it. Spoilers, too.

The title promises more than the story delivers, possibly more than Willingham is capable of delivering. I found his Fables series dismally undermined by soap operatic gestures and an inability to deliver anything other than standard long-format commercial storytelling tropisms you can see in any number of long-running comic strips and television serials, decked out in Gaimanesque garb. Which is to say, hand-me-down Alan Moore han...more
Nikki
Thessaly is one of the interesting supporting characters from the Sandman cast, but there really isn't much to this graphic novel. It's pretty amusing, and the art is nice, but the story is pretty boring with a standard play on words as the big solution. Fun for a quick read, but not exactly the best or most original story ever.
Monica
So I know that Thessaly originally appears in The Sandman series (in a volume I haven't gotten to, apparently) but I have to say that this reprise of her character was seriously disappointing. The story is mediocre at best, has an abrupt ending and is definitely not representative of how talented Bill Willingham truly is. Skip this and check out "Fables" instead.
Tyler
An ok book, but I'm not sure Willingham captured the character of Thessaly perfectly, or perhaps his writing style is just too different from Gaiman's for my taste. This isn't a bad read, but it's not a great one either. There is much less poetry and a lot less depth than any of the Sandman series.
Melissa
Kind of wish I hadn't read this, this is not the Thessaly from Sandman I so admired. The Tharmic Null is cute & cuddly, he reminds me of my cat when he's cranky.
Sam Quixote
Taking its cue from Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series, this spinoff of one of the minor characters, Thessaly, a millennia old witch, has her encounter monsters and ghosts in a kind of cross between Buffy and Hellboy.

Thessaly's not a bad character but, as with most old people, she is a bit of a grouch and a shut-in, despite looking like a 25 year old model, and as such is kind of an uninteresting person. Her comical love interest/sidekick Fetch isn't much better being a ghost whose only purpose in a...more
PurplyCookie
One of the more enigmatic characters in the unfathomable world that is Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman," Thessaly has also become one of the most endearing. Maybe its because she's a waifishly cute witch of the bookish variety (oftentimes seen wearing fluffy pink slippers) -- at first glance -- but more of the powerful and ruthless type once you get to know her.

Thessaly is your average immortal, powerful witch. She gets up in the morning, goes to the market, and fights off the demons that happen to...more
Aldi
I wanted to like this a lot more than I did, because Thessaly is one of my favourite Sandman characters, but this spin-off really doesn't do her justice. I didn't care for the delusional stalker love interest spouting armchair psychology about Thessaly's isolationist personality and how she just needs to listen to what's in his pants, I mean, her heart. Gag me. I also really didn't like that she didn't pick up on the very obvious piece of info re: how to slay the monster, or that she had to have...more
Matti Karjalainen
Bill Willinghamin käsikirjoittama tarina "Thessaly: Witch for Hire" (DC Comics/Vertigo, 2005) on Sandman-universumiin sijoittuva sarjakuva väkevästä Thessalia-noidasta, joka lemmenkipeän kummituksen vuoksi joutuu kohtaamaan universumeja tuhoavan hirviön, jonka pysäyttäminen ei tiettävästi ole mahdollista. Vai onko sittenkin?

Neil Gaimanin sarjakuvan lukemisesta on jo sen verran aikaa, etten tarkalleen muista millainen hahmo Thessalia hänen töissään mahtoi olla - ja ehkäpä ihan hyvä niin, sillä si...more
Leah
Extremely frustrating and small-minded. A character like Thessaly deserved a much better story than this. Why did her tale have to include a brainless stalker who had convinced himself he was her boyfriend? This is not funny, Bill Willingham, nor is it satisfactory to end it with the "we could have been great if you'd let it happen" trope, because this fetch is deranged. He is a classic example of the "man pursues woman to extreme ends, woman puts up with it and eventually softens" fairy tale cl...more
Story
A few spoilers deep in the review for both Sandman and this book: I don't think it did justice to the Thessaly I'd come to know through Sandman. She was subtle under Gaiman's hand, and sharp, and took things in that the reader didn't at first notice; her denseness was about human (or inhuman) interaction... and even then, there was so much subtlety in the lies she told herself speaking at Dream's wake. Here? Kinda dense on an academic level, which doesn't seem to fit her. That she didn't pick up...more
zaCk S
this is a little 4-issue series following a side adventure of the witch Thessaly (made famous by neil gaiman in his Sandman series). i've got nothing negative to say about it. written by bill willingham the dialogue has roughly the same feel as his Fables series, which is to say, the dialogue doesn't feel tailored to any characters. they all seem to have the same voice. and in a long series like Fables, that feels like more of a distraction than in a one-off like THESSALY: WITCH FOR HIRE. it's a...more
Delicious Strawberry
After reading the Thessaliad (a great series) I was happy to hear that Thessaly was getting another series of her own. At 4/5 stars, I found this a rather enjoyable read. Like the first Thessaly series, our favorite witch has something coming after her and must figure out what it is. Only, this threat is a lot worse than before - a Null, which nothing can defeat. Of course, Thessaly has to figure out how to defeat this. The people who sent the Null after think she has met her match, but as we al...more
Eleanor
A really quick, fun read. I just sat down and read it in about an hour and a half. I picked it up in a second hand bin and I'm really glad I did. It is the first Sandman spin off I have read and I was worried it might just be cashing in on the Sandman name, but it really is a good read.

I mean it is written by Bill Willingham so I should have known it would be worth reading. It doesn't necessarily flesh out the world, but it is a really fun adventure. Thessaly is a great character so I loved her...more
Paula Lyle
I'm not sure how I came upon this title, but it looked interesting. Talk about walking into the middle of a series, which apparently began eons ago. Didn't care about these characters, so not interested in learning more.
Geordie
This is just a sad book. Cribbing excellent characters from Neil Gaiman's comics, the writers tell a disjointed and awkward story full of loud noise and ludicrous happenings. The problem is, the creators want to make things very BIG - but they're just no good at it. Grand spectacle here just looks and feels like something done by a teenager. The story wanders all over, the characters are forced, and the dialogue terrible. It's excessively linear and immature, though the addition of naked breasts...more
Amber
This book could have been so good, but I couldn't get passed the disgusting sexism, blech. I'm just surprised that this sort of writing is even accepted by publishers in these days.
CJ - Drop Dead Cute
Dec 08, 2008 CJ - Drop Dead Cute rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sandman Fans, Bill Willingham fans
Thessaly is the last of her kind. Powerful, tough as nails, cold-hearted, bitchy, wise, clever and underneath it all she's got a bit of a soft spot. Just not for the ghost that has come back to haunt her. The ghost is the amalgamation of all of her previous kills and when you've been alive for several thousand years, that count can get pretty high.

However, ghostie has made a deal and now there's something bad ass that can actually kill Thessaly and you know what, it can't be killed.

The ride is e...more
Chris
Perhaps I was simply expecting something different--especially based on the gorgeous covers by Tara McPherson--but this one didn't really click too much for me. I didn't much care for any of the characters, the art, or much of what seemed to be happening.

Willingham's playfulness is definitely present, but compared to Fables--and compared to Sandman--this simply didn't seem to add up to what he is capable of or the bar set forth by Gaiman for anything with the Sandman's name.

It's not a terrible r...more
Heather
The ghost in love with the witch... What a fun and imaginative story!
April
The Sandman Presents: Thessaly, Witch for Hire
Bill Willingham and Shawn McManus
DC Comics
2005

One of my Christmas presents, Thessaly is a trade paperback chronicling a misadventure of Thessaly, last and greatest of the Thessalian witches and the ghost that loves her.

The comic is full of magic, humor, violence, and brief nudity. It is also, a lot of fun. The art is quirky and attractive. The cover with Thessaly wearing a frog on her head should appeal to anyone.

3 1/2 stars.
Dorothy
offshoot graphic novel from Sandman story. while the cover art made me feel like a 13 year old girl buying this book, i'd say it's worth reading if you like the Sandman. i got this book because i think Thessaly is kind of hot, in agreement with the ghost who's following her around. i don't know who i'd recommend this too, other than people who are into witches and sarcastic humor and aren't TOO serious about their comic book reading.
Conor
This was a fun lighthearted story with cute art. Thessaly is one of my favorite characters in the sandman universe and I was hoping for something heavy that delved into her history, but this was alright too.
Kristen
This brief series, like The Thessaliad , reads like a fun mishmash of Fables and Sandman. Both could have very easily been longer, and would have been better if they had. That being said, I still really enjoyed them. Fingers crossed for more Thessaly/Fetch shenanigans in the future!
Jane
I enjoyed this story and I'm being slightly mean with just 3 stars - but this is a very slender volume to pay quite a large sum of money for. It picks up from the story first written by Willingham in Sandman Presents: Taller Tales, and of the two I preferred the initial story. Still, Thessaly remains an intriguing character and I hope that we do hear more from her.
Amy
The Sandman Presents line takes various characters from the Sandman series and gives them their own stories - not a bad idea. Thessaly is a mild-looking witch who's actually very powerful - in this story she's besting demons left and right, and dealing with a fetch, a ghostie comprised of all the folks she's killed over the years. Fun stuff.
Nicole Romine
Thessaly is a very likable character – a centuries-old witch who is bookish, clever, and most importantly dangerously powerful. Although I loved Thessaly’s strength, this graphic novel just did not deliver. The plot, though interesting, felt undeveloped, and it ended abruptly. A fun, but slightly disappointing read.
Kivilcim Akdemir
Nope,Sandman doesn't present this.It was like reading a simplified version of Sandman.It was taken out of context and this freeding didn't bring much.It is a nice ide to improve/rewrite someone else's story/there are great examples of it but this one is absolutely NOT one of them.
Joe
Such a good read.
This was much better than I hoped.
This was well worth the time spent.
I almost got in trouble reading it...couldn't put it down.

Sadly it seems to be a one-shot...
I could easily read more of her stories.
Please, please write more Thessaly stories.
Declan
This is a great book for anyone who likes Sandman or Fables. Thessaly is one of my favourite characters from the series and this is smart, funny and even kinda touching and romantic in a very strange sort of way.
  • The Furies
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 2: Summonings
  • The Little Endless Storybook
  • A Death Gallery
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 6
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many...more
More about Bill Willingham...
Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile (Fables, #1) Fables, Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers (Fables, #4) Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm (Fables, #2) Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands (Fables, #6) Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love (Fables, #3)