The Furies

The Furies (The Sandman Presents)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,655 ratings  ·  43 reviews
THE SANDMAN PRESENTS: THE FURIES is a beautifully painted story about a mother's loss and her ultimate redemption. Years ago, Lyta Hall called upon the mythical Furies to exact revenge against the Lord of Dreams for the murder of her son. But when the three spirits of familial vengeance used the grieving mother for their own ends, Lyta fell into a dark world of depression...more
Published December 1st 2003 by Vertigo (first published 2002)

Nikki
The Furies is another Sandman Presents comic. This one takes up the story of Hippolyta Hall, set sometime after the final volume of the series. In it, she is still an 'imago', a channel for the Furies, and she's drawn into the quarrels of ancient gods -- Greek gods, unsurprisingly enough. This time, a quarrel between Hermes and Chronos. The story ends with some resolution for Lyta, which is nice, and we also briefly see the new Dream King.

The art in this comic is quite pretty, but it kind of hit...more
Shel
I enjoyed getting to spend more time in the Sandman universe, and loved the story. However, I have to say I was put off by the artwork. Not that it wasn't gorgeously done - it was beautiful. But it was so different from Gaiman's original series that it didn't feel like Sandman. I had to keep reminding myself that this beautifully painted woman was supposed to be the same character as the more stylistically/cartoonishly drawn Lyta Hall that we originally met.
Paul
They stole her son, her life, and her sanity.
They should have left her with something to lose.

THE SANDMAN PRESENTS: THE FURIES
is a beautifully painted story by Mike Carey (writer) and John Bolton (artist) about a mother's loss and her ultimate redemption.
Years ago, Lyta Hall called upon the mythical Furies to exact revenge against the Lord of Dreams for the murder of her son. But when the three spirits of familial vengeance used the grieving mother for their own ends, Lyta fell into a dark worl...more
Ian Wood
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here.

I rated this novel worthy!

WARNING! UNHIDDEN SPOILERS! PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

This novel fascinated me because of the artwork, which looks like someone took models and posed them for each frame, then ran the resulting picture through a graphics...more
Victoria
Lush, beautiful, dangerous and grotesque, just like the Sandman series proper. I'm glad that Lyta's story got an ending, though I can't help thinking that Gaiman would have pulled off some of the pivotal bits at the climax with a little more dexterity. I guess that goes without saying, though - it's his sandbox.
Robb Bridson
It's hard to judge this one. The story is alright, not Carey's best work, but decent. I'm torn on the art. The characters and some objects are almost photographic, and the result is at times-- like in the Underworld-- amazingly grotesque and atmospheric. But at other times it's just the uncanny valley unleashed on our world and sometimes the characters are disjointed from the background. It's hard to say which effect is the stronger one.

Also, if you are the sort who is bothered by having things...more
Magila
4.5

There was something about this that I really enjoyed. The entire Sandman universe is just rife with energy, emotion, and detail. There is this sincerity and grittiness to it, and this was no different.

Sometimes the (I believe) computer rendered comics that are just super clean, glossy, almost squeaky, come off as banal and uninspiring. I found the art, pencil and ink in this to be this balanced imperfectness that looked and felt great.

As always, I would appreciate a little more creativity i...more
FabulousRaye
I don't think that Hermes would actually have a chicken-ass hairdo.
Luciana Darce
Ganhei esse livro de presente da Elise, uma querida leitora do Coruja, pelo natal do ano passado – e me segurei o quanto pude para deixá-lo para ler agora, dentro do Desafio Literário 2012. Afinal de contas, é Sandman e Gaiman e isso significa que toda a expectativa é merecida.

Ou melhor dizendo, não é Gaiman. A série Sandman Apresenta reúne arcos de histórias fechadas dentro do universo criado pelo mestre – com roteiros escritos também por outros tantos magos da fantasia.

As Fúrias retoma a histó...more
M
Mike Carey retreads Sandman ground with a return look at Lyta Hall in this compilation. Having been used by the Furies during her attempts to find her missing son Daniel, Lyta is still facing her depression. A chance encounter with a travelling theater troupe headed to Greece once again pulls the grieving mother into a confrontation with the mythical. Forced by Chronos to battle her own dark reflection, Lyta finds herself aided by Hermes in an attempt to prevent a power-shake in the Olympian pan...more
Federiken Masters
Jan 30, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Federiken by: Autores+personajes
Interesante epílogo a la historia de Lyta Hall. La historia va leeeenta en varias partes pero sobre el final tiene un par de vueltas de tuerca interesantes, y la caracterización de la Lyta pos-depresión es muy humana y creíble. El modo de introducir dioses griegos también resulta muy natural y bien llevado, pero a los que no tenemos tanta mitología griega fresca por ahí se nos complica en algún que otro momento.
El dibujo (si se puede llamar así a esas fotos pintadas encima) es un tema a parte. L...more
Paul
They stole her son, her life, and her sanity.
They should have left her with something to lose.

THE SANDMAN PRESENTS: THE FURIES
GoodReadsAccount
Decent, in the sense that following in Gaiman's graphic novel footsteps is better than nothing at all.

Almost immediately upon reading this, I thought to myself, "wow, this is like a cruddy God Save the Queen". Yeah. Turns out, same people, just five years earlier, when they were first learning to work together.

If you've got a massive hard-on for anything that has the Sandman name on it, this might be worth picking up. If you're not already a fan, I doubt this would have much appeal.
Jaimie
Kelly O'Dowd
it wasn't bad.
but it didn't really excite me.

there were hints of other things that didn't come to fruition and I dont understand why they were mentioned in the first place.

Carey's Lucifer is a way better tale from the sandman universe.
Mel
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. Following on from the end of Sandman it deals not so much with the mythological events but one woman's struggle with loosing her son. Before too long the powers of Greek mythology do show up and start causing havoc but this is still very much a personal journey looking at the consequences that the bigger actions had on people. The mixture of mythology and real life is done really well. The hyper realistic art style really suits the nature of the comic, someti...more
Delicious Strawberry
Having been a longtime fan of the Sandman universe, I was intrigued by this volume. If you've read the main Sandman series, you should remember Hippolyta (Lyta) Hall well. This volume deals with life after the Sandman series, as Lyta is now alone and dealing with the death of her son.

I really liked the art here, and though the storyline felt a bit disjointed to me (I rate this story 3.5/5 stars), I enjoyed it nonetheless, especially as Lyta becomes more and more Fury-like. If you are a fan of th...more
Belinda
Gorgeous art, excellent story.
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
An interesting epilogue for Hippolyta Hall, but I think I wanted more. I don't think her later reappearance in JSA made much use of this story except for the way she and Hector exited the series. And with continuity reboots being what they are, we probably won't see a Fury story that picks up these threads.
John Bolton's artwork here is unique and daring.
123Mark
Think you can be sneaky, huh? Not in this book. Sure there are some people who are slick, but those people obviously don't know the furies. The furies have blood for tears and snakes for hair. If there was a crime going unpunished, the furies would do the punishing. Even with the furies, society was still rotting. Good book though, good story. 5 stars.
Conor
The art was very realistic and I didn't like it at all most of the time. I didn't like the story much, or really anything about this.
Lobeck
The style of art was a little jarring, so I was surprised to find myself enjoying this book. The writing was decent and the story was woven together rather nicely. As with any Gaiman-imitation story, though, it was shallow by comparison. They really ought to leave Gaiman's stories to him to develop.
Ula
The Furies is a short story continuing after the end of the Sandman books (a spin-off of the Kindly Ones) involving Lyta Hall and the Furies. The art is both creepy and interesting and while the writing is not as good as a Gaiman story, it is a delightful addition to my graphic novel collection.
Katherine
Sandman spinoff, tying up a loose end from the series (Hippolyta Hall). Really delicate artwork and solid writing, with all the mythological and classical references one could hope for. The story feels a bit rushed in places, but I thought the ending was pretty solid.
Helen
Meh. The artwork isn't great, flat, more like paintings with word bubble stuck unnaturally on top of them, like stickers. The story as well, there just isn't enough of it, really. I was hoping for more, as Lyta is one of my favorite characters from Sandman. Oh well.
James
Not bad, but it relies too much on knowing/remembering/understanding both Greek myth and the conclusion of The Sandman (particularly vol. 9, The Kindly Ones). I like Bolton's art, but I'm not sure that it's particularly suited to sequential art.
Blaine Moore
I enjoyed the painted art feel of this story that was a departure from the rest of the Sandman stories. I also thought that it was a pretty well told story in the world despite not having Gaiman at the helm.
K T
Oct 15, 2008 K T rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Probably been too long since I read the rest of Sandman to get anything out of the story. And the photoish artwork did nothing for me. Also, Dream himself looked like a big doof.
Elizabeth
A fine enough story, but utterly redundant to The Kindly Ones.
Jamie
Jan 29, 2008 Jamie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sandman fans and lovers of Greek mythology
For those who love the Sandman series and Greek mythology, this one is for you. This book is about Hippolyta Hall, who was the pregnant wife of Hector the Sandman from Book 3.
  • Thessaly: Witch for Hire
  • Dustcovers: The Collected Sandman Covers, 1989-1996
  • The Sandman Companion
  • The Sandman: The Dream Hunters
  • House of Mystery, Vol. 2: Love Stories for Dead People
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli...more
More about Mike Carey...
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway (Lucifer, #1) The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man