Tussen Orinoco en Amazone

Tussen Orinoco en Amazone

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  614 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Na zijn reis van twee maanden naar het hart van Borneo dacht Redmond O'Hanlon dat een reis van vier maanden over de Orinoco naar het hart van het Amazonegebied geen enkel probleem zou opleveren. Niets bleek minder waar: naast de gevaren die hij al kende uit Borneo deden zich nog heel andere voor: een op aids lijkende ziekte, rivierblindheid, geelzucht en niet te vergeten e...more
Published 1988 by Uitgeverij De Arbeiderspers

To ask other readers questions about Tussen Orinoco en Amazone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tussen Orinoco en Amazone

Stephan van der Linde
I really loved this book because O'Hanlon describes his journey with so much detail, you get the delusion you are at the Amazon yourself.

While reading, you got a lot of sympathy for Redmond. His patience, curiosity, the way he acts and accepts the things he's got to deal with. But for the most of his writing with much detail and especially a lot of humour.

All environments are described very well, dialogue's and his travel-partners, the wildlife, tribes and their habits and the danger of it all....more
Les Dangerfield
A different style of travel book! With zany humour. The jungles of the world have always attracted me as little understood frontiers of experience and places full of wildlife wonders. I read his book about travel in Congo jungle years ago and felt much the same about this one. There is something missing (clear narrative maybe) which made it difficult for me to get into. It didn't hold me as I would have expected it to. I was also disturbed by the tendency for his group to kill everything that mo...more
Joe
A mixture of minute, old-fashioned naturalistic observation of plants, mammals, and especially birds in the Amazonian rain forest, and the vicissitudes of traveling with a motley crew of locals along with O'Hanlon's alcoholic English friend Simon, who comes along for a kind of comic counterpoint to the meticulous O'Hanlon but can't take any more and drops out a little more than halfway through the book. In Trouble Again loses something when Simon goes, because he is a kind of cynical everyman, h...more
Bookguide
Read in Dutch. Interesting information in the second half about the Yanomomi tribe of indians in the Venezuelan rain-forest. The first part, about the journey itself, drags by the middle of the book, and there was too much about the birds which would have been better illustrated with coloured illustrations or photos. What happened to all the photos Simon and Redmond took? There is a beautifully-illustrated account of a more recent expedition online: http://www.jandungel.com/en/books/po_...
It was...more
Steve
This is armchair travel writing at its finest. O'Hanlon's account of his journey along the river systems of Venezuela is funny, exhausting and enthralling, as he battles swarms of black fly, poisonous snakes, grumpy colleagues and recalcitrant guides. He is as observant as only a dedicated naturalist can be, and his account is the next best thing to being there. No, actually I would say it is better than being there, since it has convinced this reader that this is one place I will never wish to...more
Gennadyi
Jan 30, 2008 Gennadyi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nature lovers, travelers, and everyone else
I found this book in a Guatemalan eco-hotel in the jungle and it couldn't have been more appropriate.
A hilarious and fascinating account of an englishman's journey through the jungles of Venezuela in the 1980's with a crew of vivid characters to meet a tribe of Indians known for their ferocity and violence towards each other and outsiders. things you can expect: tapir groin ticks, clash of cultures, funny dialog and weird foods.
great travel read.
Rita
If you have traveled the Amazon this is a way to relive the experience, the animals and birds, insects and sense of the rainforest His formidable knowledge of the flora fauna and his fellow man is presented in an off hand way and his feigned innocence of the dangers provides the right touch of wry humor. If you haven't been there or plan to go however this may not be to your taste
Laurie
The second half really picks up and is much more interesting than the first. Redmond is so wacky.
Marie
It seems that Redmond O Hanlon is less a prepared explorer than one who succeeds on the merits of others. Yet his book has humour, pathos, excitement and success in his travels.
His previous expedition mates have no intention of accompanying him again and he finally persuades someon who is even less able to see what such an expedition will involve.

In one tight situation Remond is told "Don't throw the wobbly. Just a few people have died there" by one of his guides.

The expedition is a success and...more
Rebekkila
The book is probably better than a three, but I have a weak stomach and there are some disgusting things in the jungles of South America not to mention lots of snakes. I give a lot of credit to the auhtor for what he did. He boated down some rivers in the Amazon basin looking for the Yanomami Indians. He set off with his friend from London, Simon, and South Americans who worked on expeditions in that area.

The journey sounded quite harrowing and Simon who was a bit of comic relief left relativel...more
Renée Damstra
Weer een droogkomisch interessant avontuur van O'Hanlon. Met een aantal smerige passages, meer dan in het vorige boek wat ik van hem las, de kots, poep en snot perikelen rond de Yanomami en Chimo en Hanlons eigen acties waren weinig appetijtelijk. Vermakelijk, zeker.
J. Kome
I'm a sucker for a book about adventures in another land and O'Hanlon's account of trying to meet members of the Yanomami tribe (supposedly the most violent people on earth) does not disappoint. O'Hanlon is a very entertaining writer and his native companions including the macho (and apparently self-proclaimed King of Virility) Chimo and several other men from villages in that area make this one crazy trip. They travel through dangerous jungle, meet dangerous animals, insects, fish and all kinds...more
Prashant
A very well described jungle by Redmond. While other authors emphasis on landscape, biology and people, Redmond provides a skyward perspective by constantly on the look out for birds. A book written from a Ornithologist. All character that accompany him, his Guide Chimo, friend Simon creating interesting stories to tell. Reading Redmond Amazon tale you definitely will learn how to write a good narrative story.
L.J.
Jan 15, 2008 L.J. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travel, nature readers
Shelves: take-or-leave
For a travel book it is very different from the typical book. Taking the reader along on a South American rainforest excursion to locate and study the Yanomami the writer does a good job of describing the lethal and strange flora and fauna of the region. For anyone interested in this area this is a fun adventure and factual. It is not as witty as Cahill but still an interesting read.
Tag Garibay
This is one of the funniest books I have ever read. It is about Redmond O'Hanlon journeying into the Amazon Rain forest to find an indian tribe. O'Hanlon's party runs into many dangers on the way, and solves them in a comical manner. This is a very good book, and I would reccomend it to anyone who likes funny books and adventures through the Amazon.
Ann Michael
May 27, 2008 Ann Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann by: Jake!
The second half of this book is the best part. The whole first part was a little too much of a stretch for humor...Into the Heart of Borneo was more spontaneously humorous. But if you bear with the snarky "Simon" and the set-off into the Amazon, O'Hanlon's encounter with the Yanomami is intriguing and worth waiting for.
Will
Travel memoir that was supposed to be very funny. The O'Hanlon is insane for attempting the journey he chose. There were definitely funny spots, and crazy little vignettes, but too much of the humor was scatological--stuff you would expect to hear in a 10th grade locker room.
Jay Moskowitz
An incredible adventure deep into the heart of the Amazon seeking to charter an unmapped branch of the Amazon River. Redso's ability to stay focused and not to veer off -track is astounding. He's a phenomenal travel -writer and naturalist.
Shin Yu
This book is a heroicized revisitation of Napoleon Chagnon's ethnographic fieldwork "Yanomami: The Fierce People" and is about as ethnocentric and colonial in its mentality towards the Yanomamo as Chagnon's original.
Ian Billick
Another fun adventure book providing a look into a remote part of the world. Only read it if you have an interest in the Amazon. Like the Patrick O'Brien series, it is a book that you can "bird" through.
Tom
Not as exciting or interesting as I expected, but well-written in parts. Structurally, I have a problem in that the book abruptly concludes with no explicit wrap-up or postscript.
maggie
Redmond O'Hanlon describes location, people, wildlife with an easy, evocative style. You feel like you're there...although relieved you're not.
Jrobertus
a description of a hellish journey through jungle swamps between the amazon and orinoco. well written and with humor.
Joey
Brilliant book. It was my second O'Hanlon. (No Mercy) I am going to miss Chimo and Jarivanau.
-ed- Erwin
This is one of the funniest, most well written and researched travel books I have ever read.
Eric
Great and hilarious travel story. Please Redmond, start writing again.
Neil
Brilliantly funny in an oddly quirky style. O'Hanlon should write more.
Jax Goss
Interesting stuff, although it ended rather abruptly.
Byron
Amusing travel adventure. O'Hanlon has the gift of gab.
Muriel Anderson
He's a little too crude for me.
  • Running the Amazon
  • The Home Of The Blizzard: A True Story Of Antarctic Survival
  • My Life as an Explorer
  • No Picnic on Mount Kenya: A Daring Escape, A Perilous Climb
  • Travels in West Africa
  • The Man Who Walked Through Time: The Story of the First Trip Afoot Through the Grand Canyon
  • In the Land of White Death: An Epic Story of Survival in the Siberian Arctic
  • Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle
  • My Journey to Lhasa: The Classic Story of the Only Western Woman Who Succeeded in Entering the Forbidden City
  • The Mountains of My Life (Modern Library Exploration)
Redmond O'Hanlon is a British author, born in 1947. Mr. O'Hanlon has become known for his journeys into some of the most remote jungles of the world, in Borneo, the Amazon basin and Congo. He has also written a harrowing account of a trip to the North Atlantic on a trawler.
More about Redmond O'Hanlon...
Into the Heart of Borneo No Mercy: A Journey Into the Heart of the Congo Trawler: A Journey Through the North Atlantic Borneo and the Poet (Pocket Penguin 70's #29) A River in Borneo