Start by marking “Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 3: The Vamp” as Want to Read:
Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 3: The Vamp

Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 3: The Vamp (Sandman Mystery Theatre #3)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  273 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Collecting the fourth story arc (issues #13-16) from the acclaimed reimagination of the original Golden Age Sandman, THE VAMP continues the story of Wesley Dodds and his soon-to-be paramour (and narrator) Dian Belmont as they become entangled in mystery from two different directions.
Published July 1st 2005 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 3

Gavin
May 22, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This one is a marked improvement from Vol. 2. Here, one of Dian's friends is running with her old sorority sisters, and Dian thinks things are a little strange...
Also, strange murders of high society men are taking place, seemingly by a woman 'of loose morals' having her way with them and then killing them.
Throw in some intrigue, lesbianism, "marijuana cigarettes" and my goodness! Shocking!
This is more like the Film Noir Book I was looking to read. Well done, though the art still befuddles me, a
Matt Sautman
Nov 25, 2015 Matt Sautman rated it really liked it
This is a book that I wanted to give five stars to. It came so close to getting five stars because how immersed I felt within the noir world of the Sandman. Maybe it's because I know this Sandman's world ties into Gaiman's Sandman. Maybe it's because I had been marathoning the first few episodes of Amazon's The Man in the High Castle around the same time. Either way, I could not give this book five stars for two reasons. One, without giving away the plot, The Vamp comes so close to portraying a ...more
Mike Jozic
Fantastic! I've been meaning to read these stories for 20 years and feel ridiculous that I waited this long to get through every issue. Wagner & Seagle have crafted wonderful characters and continue to throw them in compelling stories that just drip with period accuracy and atmosphere. The return of Guy Davis on art for this volume was a welcome one. I didn't hate the previous artist but I identify Sandman Mystery Theatre so closely with Davis' aesthetic. The story of The Vamp was quite good ...more
Aleksandar Nikolov
Jul 22, 2014 Aleksandar Nikolov rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
За къде без вампири бе? Те са навсякъде ! Дотолкова че ми се повдига вече от такваз тематика. ДО-СА-ДА! Ама като е модерна кво да се прави? Ако искаш и ТИ да си модерен ше траеш па и ще викаш "Тва е бахти якото" и толкова. :(

Поне на Дотс най накрая му излиза късмета! :) Или поне само на два пръста....хъхъ! Екзестинциален въпрос...късмета на пръстите , каква част от общият късмет правят, и дали въобще влизат в уравнението? М-даааа , такива работи се чуди човек докато чете 3-та част на "Пясъчният"
Emily Green
Oct 14, 2012 Emily Green rated it liked it
Sandman Mystery Theater: The Vamp by Matt Wagner and Steven T. Seagle is written with a voiceover by Dian Belmont, girlfriend to Wesley Dodds (Sandman) and daughter of Larry Belmont (District Attorney). Dian, who is worried by the strange behavir of her friend, Carol, decides to investigate into a series of brutally murdered blue-blooded men. The deeper she digs, the more certain she becomes that their fraternity membership holds some clue to their killer.

Fuelling Dian’s interest is her jealous
Erik
Nov 21, 2008 Erik rated it really liked it
Although some comic book series need to be read in sequential order – take for example either Neil Gaiman’s brilliantly original Sandman or Brain K. Vaughn’s Y: The Last Man – SMT doesn’t require that level of exactitude. As I read this series when it was serialized in its monthly installments -- which drove me crazy, I must admit, having to wait that long to see a mystery through to its end – it’s now fun to be able to go to my neighborhood library and pick-up a collected volume of one of Verti ...more
Paul
Nov 07, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Originaly bought as single-issues, I have the complete collection.

Somehow, Matt Wagner and Guy Davis were the perfect team to bring the original Sandman back.
Where most writers would have updated the character to bring him into the 21st century, Matt Wagner goes way back to his original roots set in the 1940s and gives us a bare bones version of the character.
This isn't a super-hero, he doesn't jump from rooftops, he's faillable, he's a well-rounded, caring human being, heck he's not even muscle
Flex Lamont
Jul 28, 2015 Flex Lamont rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Another awesome installment in a great series. The mystery is nice, but it is the art of Guy Davis and the building tension between Dodds and Diane that take center stage. Also, as in the other installments, the social commentary that the mystery revolves around is choice.
Moth Pfunk
May 22, 2013 Moth Pfunk rated it liked it
Things seem to be slowing down here, and the central plot and femme fatale character have less of an impact - the ending was also disappointing. Overall I think they could have done more on this theme, things are wrapped up nicely by the end of this collection which contains four issues of the original publication and I felt as though there wasn't much depth given to the characters involved. The hard boiled, film noir, detective vibe stays strong and we still don't really know anything more abou ...more
Bryan
Jan 30, 2008 Bryan rated it liked it
Pleasant pulp storytelling with lurid blood-draining lesbians, villainous Ivy league frat boys, and an amateur detective with a gas mask and guns which shoot a potent sleeping gas. Guy Davis pleasingly styliized art and clear, intelligent layouts give a great feel for the era.

Wagner and Seagle keep away from cliche and pastiche and develop subtext (in this story, the difficulty of living as a lesbian in the 30's, as well as the racial politics of jazz) while still satisfying a good amount of no
Albert
Feb 17, 2015 Albert rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Interesting story arc with a more predictable mystery. I enjoy Dian as a character but I think she took a step back in this arc. She has come off as a strong and independent female character. In this arc, she comes off to me as a lady that waits for her man. Guy Davis artwork remains strong.
Aurora
Apr 01, 2008 Aurora rated it it was ok
Meh. Solid but not especially compelling. I guess I'm not that interested in a comic book mystery, even one set in the '30s. Lacks a consistent tone. Also, between the latest issues of the Buffy comic, and reading Y the Last Man, I've kind of had it with gratuitous lesbians.
Gonzalo Oyanedel
May 10, 2012 Gonzalo Oyanedel rated it really liked it
Las minorías y su despertar a un siglo violento, donde su reclusión está lejos de ser historia.
Scott Lerer
Scott Lerer marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Wendy Darling
Wendy Darling marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Bozo The
Bozo The marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Erdiawan
Erdiawan rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Ben Johnson
Ben Johnson rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Bryan
Bryan rated it it was ok
May 05, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Siddhant Nath
Siddhant Nath rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Macacoteste
Macacoteste marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Anna Logan
Anna Logan rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Mikayla
Mikayla marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Trent Macdonald
Trent Macdonald marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
  • Starman, Vol. 3: A Wicked Inclination
  • The Express Diaries
  • Hellblazer: Pandemonium
  • Sandman Midnight Theatre
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 6: Planet Love
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 1: In the Service of Angels (Witchfinder, #1)
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 6: The Burning Girl
  • Powers, Vol. 10: Cosmic
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 12: Dirty
  • Catwoman, Vol. 3: Relentless
  • Air, Volume 1: Letters from Lost Countries
  • Samurai Executioner, Vol. 3: The Hell Stick
  • The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures (Deluxe Edition)
  • Human Target
  • The Twelve, Volume 1
Matt Wagner is an American comic book writer and artist. In addition to his creator-owned series' Mage and Grendel, he has also worked on comics featuring The Demon and Batman as well as such titles as Sandman Mystery Theatre and Trinity, a DC Comics limited series featuring Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.
More about Matt Wagner...

Sandman Mystery Theatre (9 books)
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 1: The Tarantula
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 2: The Face and the Brute
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 4: The Scorpion
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 5: Dr. Death and the Night of the Butcher
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 6: The Hourman and the Python
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 7: The Mist and the Phantom of the Fair
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 8: The Blackhawk and the Return of the Scarlet Ghost
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 14