Start by marking “Payback (Boy Soldier, #2)” as Want to Read:
Payback (Boy Soldier, #2)
Preview

Payback (Boy Soldier #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  645 ratings  ·  25 reviews

A series of high-profile suicide bombings are devastating London and frustrating British Intelligence. But that doesn't matter to seventeen-year-old Danny Watts and his former SAS hero grandfather, Fergus, who are living undercover in southern Spain, knowing that the slightest slip could expose their whereabouts to the ruthless killers on their trail. All too soon, Danny a

Published October 5th 2006 by Putnam Juvenile (first published October 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Payback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Payback

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Angel Experiment by James Patterson
Best YA Books Ever
424th out of 531 books — 605 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerExplosion in Paris by Linda Masemore PirrungHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Favorites
455th out of 548 books — 245 voters

More lists with this book...

Calvin Foun
I thought that payback was a exciting book. It tells of a wanted man and his grandson on the run from the government. I liked that it explained why Fergus did everything. For example, I found it interesting that he slams his door shut to make the bolts tight. When the government snuck into his house at night, they quietly shut the door to not wake up Fergus and in the morning Fergus knew that they came in.
Milly Hawkins
At the beginning of the book I found the main character Danny,a 17 year old teenager a very introverted and frustated boy. As the story progresses he develops confidence and an a more outgoing personality. Danny and his grandfather Fergus are on the run and hiding in Spain but have to return to England to prove Fergus is innocent. They face many dangerous obstacles on their travels. I think this book would appeal to a teenage audience who enjoy an action-packed, gripping storyline.
Ian
This story follows the adventure that seventeen year-old Danny and his grandfather Fergus take as they investigate and try to put a stop to a train of terrorist attacks in London. As expected, this book had many scenes of action and suspense. For example, "Kev fired two rapid double taps at Fran, who was crouching beside her vehicle, but in the glare of the headlights it was virtually impossible to get a decent aim. He turned the SD on the lights they exploded in a hail of glass"(McNab 128). Thi ...more
Pan Alchemist
I am not in the mood to sit and write a proper review. I have a book I am looking forward to reading waiting and I just want to get this over with.

I don't necessarily want to be overly negative about this book. Granted, it is not what I enjoy, but that doesn't mean that it might not be a good book for boys to read. As I am neither approaching or in my early teens, or a boy, I am not in a position to give this a fair judgement.

What the book has going for it: It uses military acronyms, abbreviati
Ben King
A series of suicide bombings are destroying London and frustrating British Intelligence. But that doesn't matter to seventeen-year-old Danny Watts and his former SAS hero grandfather, Fergus, who are living undercover in southern Spain, knowing that the slightest slip could expose their whereabouts to the ruthless killers on their trail. All is well, until Danny and Fergus have their cover blown and are on the run again, with their enemies closing in fast. Suddenly, Danny and Fergus are forced t ...more
James Hargest Library
Justin Marek
Payback
There is a seventeen year old that had seven kilos of explosives strapped to him. And when he detonated it he killed almost seventy people. In this book I like how they explain things to a certain level. And describe what he did. But I did not like how they did not describe how he did it. Or exactly why he blew everyone up.
Grace Wright
Its definitly confusing. I think it would help if I read the first book first. But even if I had, the rating wouldn't be much higher. Its about suicide bombers, and suicide bombers are a weird thing to read about. Sure I like weird books, but still.

I don't know what was going on in this book. It might be just that I forgot what happened since I read it awhile back and am only doing the reveiw now but I vividly remember being confused and asking myself what was going on.

Maybe it makes more sence
Tom
Cam Marcoulier
The book Payback by Andy McNab is about a boy named Danny and his grandfather named Fergus. They were hiding out in Spain but some criminals found out where thy were hiding and they had to return to London in order to clear their family name. Once there they figure out Danny is somehow connected to bombing that are happening in London. I thought this book was prettyy good, it had a lot of suspence throughout it which made me keep wanting to read. I thought that it summed up pretty well too.
Grace
I loved this book which is the 2nd one in the series. I think the story flows better than a typical McNab book because Robert Rigby writes better than McNab and therefore the book is easier to read. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
John
A good read from Andy McNab that one would expect with the knowledge he has gained on operations for the UK.

The book I beleive was targeted at the younger reader, nonetheless, it does not lack the punch or storyline McNab usally puts out. A good plot that one can beleive if you stretch things but for one little escapade that is the sum of the writers imagination and journalistic licence.

Worth the money.
Nelsond
I liked this book very much. I usually don't get all that into a book but this one was fun to read. It is about a boy named Danny and his Grandfather named Fergus. They are both running away from the British CIA because they are both tagged as terrorists. Later in the book they both go to great struggles to try and clear their names while also dodging people who want to claim the bounty for them.
Josh Keller
"Payback" by Andy McNab is the great sequel to the first book in this series. This is the last and final book. The story is about Danny Watts teamming up with his Grandfather to take out the evil spy in the army. This was a good read. It was a easy read with a good ending. There are lots of army terms in this book. It is a realistic fiction.
Chris Harrison
Better than the 1st book in the series, although there was some comparisons with Eddie in the 1st book basically cloned as Joey in the 2nd book and you could see the outcome for him coming long before it happened. Like the way it entices you to get the next book with the epilogue and its looking like it might be an interesting read.
Gregg Stephenson
This is the 2nd in the Boy Soldier series by Andy McNab. I was on the fence with the first book, but made a deal with myself to try the 2nd in the series.
I found Payback to be a much better read. It was more realistic and compelling. So, now I'm on the hook and ready to read the next in the series. Hope its as good as this one.
Claire
Fergus and Danny are hiding in Spain trying to figure out how to expose the individual who set Fergus up and is trying to silence them. They are discovered and on the run. Lots of action, the story line holds,
Christopher R
very good book high suspense is a little boring in the beginning. It is about a ex sas person named fergus watts hw is on the run because MI5 says he stole lots of money but he was actually a undercover agent.
Emma
Jan 08, 2009 Emma rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who liked Traitor or Alex Rider
Good content, just like Traitor (the 1st book of the series). Unforseen twists in the book, and the ending was good to lead to its sequel.
Wilton314
A well written sequel to Traitor, the first in the Boy Soldier series. Just as action packed and hard to put down.
Nick Sienkiewicz
It was a good book that kept me on the edge of my seat and i had no idea what was going to happen
Lucas J
The second book after boy soldier. Its wasnt as good as the first one.
Graham Mergler
A lot of suspense, a good book. Can't wait to read the last book in the series
Ali Amir
my favourite book of the series!!
Brian
check if brian read it
Liaden
Liaden marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Naomi Owen
Naomi Owen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Please help me combine this McNab book edition 2 21 Nov 27, 2011 02:04AM
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • The Eyes of a King (The Last Descendants, #1)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • The Story of Cirrus Flux
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • Hunted (Alpha Force, #6)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • The Opposite of Invisible
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Monster Republic (Monster Republic, #1)
  • The Jumbee
  • Kisses and Lies (Scarlett Wakefield, #2)
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk, #2)
  • The Ship of Adventure (Adventure, #6)
  • Freaks and Revelations
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • The King's Rose
  • Ice Claw (Danger Zone, #2)
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t
More about Andy McNab...

Boy Soldier (4 books)
  • Traitor (Boy Soldier, #1)
  • Avenger (Boy Soldier, #3)
  • Meltdown (Boy Soldier, #4)
Bravo Two Zero Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1) Immediate Action Firewall (Nick Stone, #3) Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)