Start by marking “Don't Call Me Special: A First Look at Disability (First Look at Books)” as Want to Read:
Don't Call Me Special: A First Look at Disability (First Look at Books)

Don't Call Me Special: A First Look at Disability (First Look at Books)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Paperback. Pub: 2002 Pages: 29 Publisher: Barrons Educational Series This delightful picture book explores questions and concerns about physical disabilities in a simple and reassuring way. Younger children can find out about individual disabilities. Special equipment that is available to help the disabled. and how people of all ages can deal with disabilities and live hap ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Barron's Educational Series (first published December 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Call Me Special, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Call Me Special

Sian
This book allows children the opportunity to explore different disabilities and the help available to people with disabilities. It allows children to look at the equipment some individuals may need and that people with a disability are able to live a happy and full life.
This book would be great to use with younger children in introducing the concept of disability and differences. It would also be good to use within a classroom that involved children with disabilities to ensure children's underst
Suzanna
Nice, age appropriate book introducing the concept of disability. Covers misconceptions and questions that children at a young age might have about those who have disabilities. shows how people with disabilities live full lives and enjoy the same things that they do.

A fantastic book for early years and early KS1

I particularly like the open questions written in the book, this could be worked through in a circle time and help make the book interactive as well as for independent readers or LSA gro
Angela
This is a picture book which explores the topic of disabilities, how children with disabilities cope with their differences and how everybody is different and unique but should be treated equally.
This is a great book and I think anyone with a particular interest in SEN would really like it. This is the first book I have come across that discusses the issue of disabilities at a child’s level, although I’m sure there are lots more out there. The book is written in a very simplistic way and it is
Bianca
Don’t call me special is a vibrant picture book that explores the topic of disability in an intriguing way. This book addresses misconceptions that may children have of disabled children, that they are slow, they can not fit in, and they can not be played with. Its use of probing questions is highly effective in challenging stereotypes. Its direct, bold approach is straight to the point and gives children a clear picture that although disabled children learn in a different way and at a different ...more
Helen Louden

Don’t Call me Special by Pat Thomas (Wayland)

This book is a non- book which frankly discusses disabilities in children in an informative and sensitive way. It uses politically correct language to describe particular disabilities. It explains how some children may have difficulties joining in because of their disabilities and how we can help them and the equipment which can help them. It teaches children the right words to describe particular disabilities and how some words may be hurtful and ins
Jessica Hall
This is a lovely book about children with disabilities. It has beautiful illustrations and explores questions and concerns that children may have. It looks at the different types of disability and the things that children might have in place to help them. It covers common misconceptions that children may have about other children with disabilities in a reassuring way, promoting that everybody is unique and different and that no assumptions should be made about anyone. The book would be great for ...more
Hana Sm.
This book was very enjoyable. I think this is the top children's book about disabilities. It explains how ordinary children with disabilities are; these people are just like everyone else on the inside. The book has 23 pages—the last page is "How To Use This Book."
(view spoiler)
Samantha Mendez
Don’t Call Me Special is a picture book that is designed to be used as a child’s first look at disability. It seeks to inform children that despite their disabilities people are still able to live happy and relatively normal lives. It aims to address any concerns that may be had by children about disabilities and identifies ways that those whom are less able may be helped. Don’t call me special shows the importance of developing both a tolerance and acceptance of those that we deem to be ‘differ ...more
Ray
I thought this book was really easy to access and was also broad enough to be used from Year 2 upward, for bridging an understanding of tolerance and acceptance.

In my opinion, this book is thoughtfully laid out and allows the development of understanding from the outset. The language used is fairly simple and the illustrations add weight to the information on the page. This is a book which can be used during guided reading or circle time . Either way, it's a good non-fiction book for everyone.

T
Laina Shearouse
"Don't Call Me Special: A First Look at Disability" by Pat Thomas is a wonderful book and one of the few that I have been able to find that discuss "fairness" in special education. The book makes you realize that you use some common stereotypes and shows that they are not true. In simplified versions the book discuss' many topics from accommodations to types of disabilities and how/ why people can have disabilities. It also covers the shift in special education from separate schools and classroo ...more
Dianne J.
Age of readership: Ages 4-8

Genre: Picture Book

Diversity: Differences and Abilities

Illustrations: Colorful drawings of people participating in many activities

My response to the book: This book explains how we may be different on the outside but have the same range of emotions on the inside and that all of us have difficulty doing some things. There is a very short glossary at the back of the book, suggestions for teachers and parents and further readings organizations to contact for more informat
April
1. Rating: 5
2. A book review from Disaboom (Alexandra Fresch) said, "Don't Call Me Special: A First Look at Disability, written by psychotherapist and counselor Pat Thomas and illustrated by Lesley Harker, is a delightful picture book about disability aimed towards children in preschool through early elementary. It explores questions and concerns children may have regarding disability in a clear, simple manner."
3. This is a great introductory book on the subject of children with disabilities. It
Kristina Moss
This book is explores children disabilities and differences. This selection also includes the importance of eliminating assumptions about individuals in their disabilities. The author, Pat Thomas, highlights ways to deal with disabilities and ways to make individuals feel accepted. As a teacher, I will use this text to educate my students on disabilities and differences and the significance of making everyone feel welcome around us. I also appreciate the way Pat Thomas, included questions within ...more
jennifer
I'm sorry, this was just one of those things that you read just because....
Ngoc  Dang
This is great to use in a class where teachers have children with special need in their class. Reading about this types of books help children accommodate better in the classroom. They know how to behave around children who have special needs. This book show children that children with special need can and want to do things that normal children would want to do. They will understand that children with special needs just do things a little differently than they do.
Amanda
I really like this book. It talks about children with disabilities and how they are just like you and I. It gives good examples of the different disabilities that children may run into and show that having a disability doesn't make that person any different. It is easy to understand and I think young children would really like this book. Would be a good book to use when introducting a disability to the classroom.
Kathleen Ruff
I absolutely loved this book. It was a great read. This would be a fantastic book when teaching kids about disabilities and the differences and simmiliarities between people. This would be the perfect book to read if there was a teasing or bullying problem going on. Another great thing about this book is that it ask questions to the students and gets them to think about things going on with them.
Ashley Courtemanche
The theme of this book was disabilities. This book was about children that have disabilities. Its to show children that some children have disabilities, for example they might be in a wheelchair. This book is to show that just because a child has a disability that they are just like you. they have the same feelings, they might like the same things but they just have a disability.
Kia M.
This would be a great book to read to your classroom whether who are in a special needs class or traditional setting. It is important to let your students know that even if someone has certain disablities they can still do some of the things that you can do, but just in a different way. It is alo important to teach them not to make assumptions about persons with disabilities.
Ealthafer
This is a perfect book to read to an inclusion class special needs class or any traditional class. Students without special needs realize the struggles students with special needs go through and also how strong and brave Rey are. Students with special needs who hear this Story can be inspired that they are strong and capable of what they want to do.
Laneika Cason
PB35. This is a great book for all classrooms. Whether it's a generl education, special education, or an inclusion classroom this book teaches acceptance of individuals with disabilities. It helps people realize that individuals with disabilities are more like everyone else than they are different and they want and should be treated like everyone else.
Mouse Denehy
The language in this book is simple and easy to follow with the rhyme scheme. I think this book would be good for introducing the concept of disabilities to children as it doesn't over complicate the concepts of defining a disability. I enjoyed how the book explains to not judge a book by its cover and remain informative without the point being muddled.
Tessa
I liked this book because it is a good way to explain to children that we can't judge people by the way they look. I really liked that is showed students who people might judge as incapable doing things they love. For example there is a picture of a student who can't walk playing basketball.
Takishia Gabriel
I really enjoyed reading this book. This book would be great to teach students about disabilities. Also this book could be used to teach about similarities and differences about people. If there is any bullying or even teasing going on the classroom, this would be the book to read.

Megan Zimmerman
This book looks at the questions and concerns that students may have of other students with physical disabilities, and how those students want to be treated normally. A great way to introduce students to these different physical disabilities and the special equipment they may require.
Jayna
This is an informative book about disabilities. It challenges stereotypes in a way that the children should be able to understand. This book would be good for any lesson on diversity or if the situation arises.
Hannah
What a great book. I enjoyed reading this one. It really gives a good look into why people assume what they assume when it comes to someone in a wheelchair, etc.
Jim
now i know why somepeople prefer the term "diferently abled." this book does well in showing that "special" is a lousy word. but "disabled" is pretty damn cruel too.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I Miss You: a First Look at Death (First Look at Books (Paperback)) Stop Picking on Me! Listen, Whitey!: The Sounds of Black Power, 1965-1975 The Skin I'm in: A First Look at Racism a First Look at Racism My Family's Changing- A First Look at Family Break Up