Start by marking “Knit Your Own Dog: Easy-to-Follow Patterns for 25 Pedigree Pooches” as Want to Read:
Knit Your Own Dog: Easy-to-Follow Patterns for 25 Pedigree Pooches

Knit Your Own Dog: Easy-to-Follow Patterns for 25 Pedigree Pooches

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  148 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The perfect gift for dog-lovers who knit! From a spotted Dalmatian to a wrinkly Bulldog, the step-by-step patterns in Knit Your Own Dog let you knit the dog you've always wanted.

The knitted dog is indeed the ideal companion: There's no feeding, barking, shedding, or vet's bills, and he'll live forever! Knit Your Own Dog is the irresistible guide to knitting the perfect pu

Published February 23rd 2011 by Black Dog & Leventhal (first published February 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Knit Your Own Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knit Your Own Dog

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Jan 30, 2013 Jeanette "Astute Crabbist" rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, how-to, woof
If you're weary of knitting projects that actually produce something useful, behold the bowsers.
You can knit yourself a plethora of pooches, a coterie of canines. From yarn yappers to woolen woofers, there are 25 breeds to choose from.

Photos of the finished product have been posted a few places online, so be sure to check for your preferred breed. Some of the patterns don't result in accurate likenesses. Some of them don't even look like dogs. The English Bull Terrier looks like a rotund reind
Jen
Sep 24, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
I would love to give this a 5 star review, but as I was working on the dogs I found out that the last dog in the book, the Siberian Husky, isn't in the book due to misprint I guess. My Aunt had given me the book as a present in May for Mother's Day and I made her the Jack Russel for her birthday on Sept 18. After I made her dog my children, 7 and 4 years old, asked if they could pick out a doggie too. That's when we discovered the error. Just a warning for anyone who is going to buy the book is ...more
Louise Cochrane
Aug 13, 2012 Louise Cochrane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't resist buying this book when I saw it! I'd recently taken up knitting again and wanted a book full of smaller projects and this was perfect.

I've made the pug so far and he sits on my desk in work and is admired by all who see him!
Kirsten
Aug 23, 2012 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is so funny! I need to find a knitting class in the area. I sense a new source of income...
Linda
Jul 20, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
My goodreads friend and real life friend Cindy sent me the link to this book before it was out. I was number 2 on the library list for the copies (I'm aiming to be number 1 on the request list for something) and the librarian who processed the book told me she almost put a note in asking me which dog I'd be knitting. Yes, they do know me personally at my branch library.

Ah, the pressure. I won't be knitting my own dachshund which is my favorite breed. The patterns are beyond my ability but that d
Sandy Weir
Apr 27, 2013 Sandy Weir rated it really liked it
Being a dog loves and a knitter, I thought this book would be a lot of fun. It is well illustrated and the directions look through and not terribly difficult. My problem is that I do not have little pieces of this color and that color or the desire to knit a whole lot of any particular species AND I really do not want to purchase whole skeins of yarn for a few critical feet that make all of the difference in the finished dog. That said, I have thought of going to a local knitting shop and seeing ...more
Julie
Apr 15, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
I will never knit a dog menagerie! I am rating this book for the pictures alone! It was so fun to peruse the pages! I didn't need the titles to distinguish most of the breeds. The author includes group pictures such as sporting breeds & herding breeds, etc. They seem very true-to-life to me, a dog lover. Several people who I shared this book with said that they would love to purchase one of these dogs. There is a market out there for someone crafty.
Jenny
May 13, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it
Very cute dogs. Easy and quick to make, but I have noticed a few typos. One dog (can't remember which) had the same pattern for the left and right side. Made it twice before realizing it was an error on the author's part, not mine. Luckily, I'm a decent enough knitter to make the adjustments, but would be challenging for a novice. I'd give the book a higher ranking if it wasn't for these errors as the dogs are quite adorable.
Ann
Sep 18, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
I never thought I'd say this but bulldogs "can" be cute. Knit the cutest bulldog ever. I've even saved a pair of old-fashioned brown buttons that would be suitable for his eyes. You'll find hours of creative fun knitting dogs. Now you can own border collies, pugs, labs, schnauzers and cocker spaniels and more. Snuggle up with them all you want, allergy-free.
David
Apr 13, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Well, I was most interested in the Pug doll, but he doesn't look quite right. I'm very impressed with the idea of this book. I really adore these little works of art. I do not knit. I saw this at the book store I just had to have it. Maybe I will take up knitting. It's got me thinking about it.
Joan54
Jun 23, 2013 Joan54 added it
Shelves: to-read-again
I got this book out from MEL and it seems like a good book. I don't want to make anything from this book at this time, maybe sometime in the future. It seems like a lot of work and they come out quite small. I would like to make a cat before I try a dog.
Kerry
Mar 03, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it
More than anything I was highly entertained by this book. The bulldog was hysterical. There's a dog in here for everyone and I knew exactly who l'd give each one to. Fun projects if you want to branch out from traditional gifts.
Randi
Jul 08, 2014 Randi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knitted the English Bulldog. The knitting directions were clear but the sewing up directions were not. Pictures of the pieces before they were sewn up would have helped.
Tisha
Apr 26, 2012 Tisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
This is pretty cute, although I would modify the heck out of anything I knit from this book - especially the ears on the lab I know I'll end up making.
Sara
Dec 22, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-library
I love looking at these patterns, but there isn't a papillon! Patrick gave me a crochet your own dog book with a Papillon, but I don't crochet much.
Callie
Jul 25, 2011 Callie rated it liked it
This was a funny book. I am not a knitter (yet), but I think one of these dogs would be a fun project if I ever got proficient.
Barbara Chambers
Mar 09, 2011 Barbara Chambers rated it it was amazing
I bought this book last week and can't wait to get started knitting my own kennels worth of lovely dogs..
Kristina
Jan 24, 2013 Kristina rated it liked it
Shelves: informative, how-to
Very interesting and inspiring. I just have to try out the patterns now!
Mary
Oct 18, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft, library-books
This book like the cat book has stories about the dogs/breeds.
Jen
Sep 09, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Linda
Mar 12, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing
Adorable patterns, very clever!
Ted Woodward-partridge
Jun 03, 2013 Ted Woodward-partridge rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
Fun idea, working on a Rainbow Lab.
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ marked it as maybe
fun way to use up spare yarn

[image error]

Molly
Aug 05, 2011 Molly rated it liked it
bulldog
Angie Cain
Angie Cain marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
christine
christine rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Margaret Steele
Margaret Steele rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Ashleigh
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Victor Canfield
Victor Canfield is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2016
  • Teeny-Tiny Mochimochi: More Than 40 Itty-Bitty Minis to Knit, Wear, and Give
  • 75 Birds, Butterflies & little beasts to knit and crochet
  • Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!
  • Interweave Presents Knitted Gifts
  • Cast On, Bind Off: 54 Step-by-Step Methods
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Knit Kimono
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Cast On, Bind Off: 211 Ways to Begin and End Your Knitting
  • The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques
  • Knit, Swirl! Uniquely Flattering, One Piece, One Seam Swirl Jackets
  • Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice
  • Knit to Flatter: The Only Instructions You'll Ever Need to Knit Sweaters That Make You Look Good and Feel Great!
  • Inspired to Knit: Creating Exquisite Handknits
  • Finishing School: A Master Class for Knitters
  • Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting
  • A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting
  • Mastering Color Knitting: Simple Instructions for Stranded, Intarsia, and Double Knitting