Start by marking “Basher Five-Two” as Want to Read:
Basher Five-Two

Basher Five-Two

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  227 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
U.S. Air Force Captain Scott O'Grady was shot down in his F-16 over Bosnia while helping to keep the peace. The plane exploded, and Captain O'Grady fell 5 miles to the ground below. In exciting detail, Captain O'Grady tells how he evaded capture and how, with little water and no food, he was able to survive on his own in enemy territory.
Published July 6th 1998 by Yearling (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Basher Five-Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basher Five-Two

Laura Verret
For some reason, I had gotten the idea in my head that adventure stories of soldiers trapped in enemy territory was a thing of the past. Those sorts of things just don't happen anymore; at least, not since World War II or so…..

Wrong! In this autobiographical account written especially for children, Captain Scott O’Grady relates the six hazardous days which he spent behind hostile Bosnian lines - in 1995!

His Life.

As a child, Captain Scott O’Grady fell in love. He fell in love with speed and adven
Michael Preston
Sep 29, 2015 Michael Preston rated it it was amazing
Imagine you have just been shot down and you have burns on your neck and face, but you have to keep moving the enemy's on there way, you have to evade them at all cost, to return with honor is your goal. This happened to captain Scott O'Grady, in his autobiography Basher Five-Two. This novel perfectly shows how language can change. At first he is this big hot shot F-16 pilots next he is shown as weak and vulnerable. It also shows conflict, by him hiding from the enemy who is looking for him. It ...more
Erica Honing
Dec 14, 2015 Erica Honing rated it did not like it
Basher Five-Two by Scott O'Grady was an okay book. It wasn't on of my favorites but it was an incredible story. On thing is, is that there was a ton of vocabulary I wasn't to sure with.
This book is a true story about U.S Captain Scott O'Grady. He was shot down in his F-16 over Bosnia while helping to keep peace. His plane exploded, but he parachuted out 5 miles from the ground. In his amazing story he tells how he survived hiding, with barley water and no food, in six days, in enemy's land.
I wou
Alan Chen
Apr 09, 2012 Alan Chen rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, fun
A very good book, but it's definitely shown to be geared for kids. There is a definite and jarring disconnect between the passages that were originally written by the pilot, and those that have been dumbed-down by the coauthor to make the book readable for kids. The parts meant for kids are really meant for kids, because its here where O'Grady keeps coming across as one who is always in control, always calm, supremely prepared, and where everything in the world falls into a clear dichotomy of go ...more
Marija
This book is about an American soldier whose plane crashes in Bosnia during the Bosnian war. He must travel out of the forest to survive.

Antony: My parents escaped from the Bosnian war, so I've heard the 'refugee' stories, but I've never heard any stories from an actual soldier during that time. It was an interesting point of view, and an interesting subject.
Tatra
Mar 26, 2015 Tatra rated it really liked it
Wow. When I first read this book it was just an adventure story made cooler by the fact that it was a true story. Now I read this and see how the universe was moving in this man's life and just wow.
Ozi Fah
Mar 05, 2014 Ozi Fah rated it really liked it
This book gave me that on-the-edge feeling and I overall enjoyed the story. I consider Scott O'Grady a hero also for having the determination to stay alive.
Lisa
Apr 24, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
My boys (12 and 9) read this as part of their schoolwork and said it was a "page-turner." So that's a good review for a school book. :)
Greg D
Feb 25, 2014 Greg D rated it liked it
Great autobiographical account of his ordeal - very entertaining.
Dawn Roberts
Short, somewhat dumbed-down narrative of Scott O'Grady's survival and rescue after being shot down over Bosnia in 1995. Full of patriotic sentiment and the importance of working hard to succeed when you aren't a superstar. OK for upper elementary reading. Interesting perspective after reading Maybury's book about World War II and America's role as global cops. Is it worth American lives to interfere in another country's civil war?
Hannah
May 16, 2009 Hannah rated it liked it
Chris
May 08, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
I remember hearing of this incident on the news when it happened and that O'Grady was eventually rescued going into the book. Not as much action as I would expect from a work of fiction, but knowing this is a true story kept me glued to the pages. Very entertaining for a true story.
Ali C
Dec 17, 2008 Ali C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in just an hour.. it was excellent. He goes into great detail describing his F16.. Although not too much detail about the time he spent in hiding, I felt like I had more of his biography than anything. But I would definitely love to read his other book!
Jeremy Smalley
Sep 07, 2012 Jeremy Smalley rated it it was amazing
I liked this book a lot because it was just amazing. All of the little details that the author talks about and how the rescue mission was a COMPLETE success is awesome. After reading it I realized that this is where the movie "Behind Enemy Lines" Spawned from.
Renita
Dec 22, 2011 Renita rated it it was amazing
This book has fascinated class after class of students. I love read this one to them because it has such a realistic feel. Most students shy away from autobiographies, but this one grabs them hook, line and sinker!
Courtney Marie W
Angie
Jan 14, 2012 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fic
Works on a "military true story with sone detail but still appropriate for the elementary crowd" (though they won't have a clue about Bosnia) but the writing is not the best. Lags in more than one place.
Erin St
Nov 26, 2013 Erin St rated it it was ok
This book was good for the interesting, nonfiction story of Scott O'Grady surviving alone. However, I disliked the way the author wrote this, and overall I did not think it was a very good book.
Bradley
Jun 19, 2011 Bradley rated it liked it
Military true-life survivor stories are always surprising. This one was not bad.. might have been morer enjoyable if I was not suffering from a horrible sinus infection.
Bonnie
Aug 31, 2008 Bonnie rated it really liked it
My son chose this for a book report and I read it with him. I think I enjoyed it as much as he did! Light, easy read but very interesting. A true hero.
Cody
Sep 23, 2009 Cody rated it did not like it
i dont like this book i dont think there is alot of action in this book.
Tamie
Jul 01, 2012 Tamie rated it really liked it
This was a great book. Amazing story. Holden liked it too.
Cyn
Feb 19, 2009 Cyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young readers
Great for the younger reader.
Ruth Ann
Sep 05, 2012 Ruth Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: youth, biography
Great bio suggestion for boys!
G Ream
Dec 25, 2009 G Ream rated it it was amazing
Great story - True! Amazing fortitude.
Jordan D
May 22, 2011 Torrest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
  • Down the Yukon
  • Lewis and Clark and Me: A Dog's Tale
  • The Trouble Begins at 8: A Life of Mark Twain in the Wild, Wild West
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Slave in Ancient Greece!: A Life You'd Rather Not Have
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be Cleopatra!: An Egyptian Ruler You'd Rather Not Be
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Greek Athlete!: Races You'd Rather Not Run
  • The Top of the World: Climbing Mount Everest
  • King Arthur and His Knights
  • Flight to Freedom: First Person Fiction
  • Hitch
  • How to Talk to Your Cat
  • The Odyssey (Adaptation) (Puffin Classics)
  • The Man Who Went to the Far Side of the Moon: The Story of Apollo 11 Astronaut Michael Collins
  • The Winged Watchman (Living History Library)
  • Wilbur and Orville Wright: Young Fliers
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • Other Bells for Us to Ring