Basher Five-Two

Basher Five-Two

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  26 reviews
U.S. Air Force Captain Scott O'Grady was shot down in his F-16 over Bosnia while helping to keep the peace. The plane exploded, and Captain O'Grady fell 5 miles to the ground below. In exciting detail, Captain O'Grady tells how he evaded capture and how, with little water and no food, he was able to survive on his own in enemy territory.
Published July 6th 1998 by Yearling (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Basher Five-Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basher Five-Two

For some reason, I had gotten the idea in my head that adventure stories of soldiers trapped in enemy territory was a thing of the past. Those sorts of things just don't happen anymore; at least, not since World War II or so…..

Wrong! In this autobiographical account written especially for children, Captain Scott O’Grady relates the six hazardous days which he spent behind hostile Bosnian lines - in 1995!

His Life.

As a child, Captain Scott O’Grady fell in love. He fell in love with speed and adven...more
Alan Chen
A very good book, but it's definitely shown to be geared for kids. There is a definite and jarring disconnect between the passages that were originally written by the pilot, and those that have been dumbed-down by the coauthor to make the book readable for kids. The parts meant for kids are really meant for kids, because its here where O'Grady keeps coming across as one who is always in control, always calm, supremely prepared, and where everything in the world falls into a clear dichotomy of go...more
Ozi Fah
This book gave me that on-the-edge feeling and I overall enjoyed the story. I consider Scott O'Grady a hero also for having the determination to stay alive.
Lisa
My boys (12 and 9) read this as part of their schoolwork and said it was a "page-turner." So that's a good review for a school book. :)
Greg D
Great autobiographical account of his ordeal - very entertaining.
Dawn Roberts
Short, somewhat dumbed-down narrative of Scott O'Grady's survival and rescue after being shot down over Bosnia in 1995. Full of patriotic sentiment and the importance of working hard to succeed when you aren't a superstar. OK for upper elementary reading. Interesting perspective after reading Maybury's book about World War II and America's role as global cops. Is it worth American lives to interfere in another country's civil war?
Hannah
Chris
I remember hearing of this incident on the news when it happened and that O'Grady was eventually rescued going into the book. Not as much action as I would expect from a work of fiction, but knowing this is a true story kept me glued to the pages. Very entertaining for a true story.
Ali C
I read this book in just an hour.. it was excellent. He goes into great detail describing his F16.. Although not too much detail about the time he spent in hiding, I felt like I had more of his biography than anything. But I would definitely love to read his other book!
Jeremy Smalley
I liked this book a lot because it was just amazing. All of the little details that the author talks about and how the rescue mission was a COMPLETE success is awesome. After reading it I realized that this is where the movie "Behind Enemy Lines" Spawned from.
Renita
This book has fascinated class after class of students. I love read this one to them because it has such a realistic feel. Most students shy away from autobiographies, but this one grabs them hook, line and sinker!
Courtney Marie W
Angie
Works on a "military true story with sone detail but still appropriate for the elementary crowd" (though they won't have a clue about Bosnia) but the writing is not the best. Lags in more than one place.
Erin St
This book was good for the interesting, nonfiction story of Scott O'Grady surviving alone. However, I disliked the way the author wrote this, and overall I did not think it was a very good book.
Bradley
Military true-life survivor stories are always surprising. This one was not bad.. might have been morer enjoyable if I was not suffering from a horrible sinus infection.
Bonnie
My son chose this for a book report and I read it with him. I think I enjoyed it as much as he did! Light, easy read but very interesting. A true hero.
Cody
i dont like this book i dont think there is alot of action in this book.
Tamie
This was a great book. Amazing story. Holden liked it too.
Cyn
Feb 19, 2009 Cyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young readers
Great for the younger reader.
Ruth Ann
Great bio suggestion for boys!
G Ream
Great story - True! Amazing fortitude.
Jordan D
Torrest
Paula
Paula added it
Sep 12, 2014
Return with Honor Best Nonfiction: Return with Honor; My Name is Mary; A Good Life; Every Knee Small Bow