Start by marking “Handbook for Classroom Instruction That Works” as Want to Read:
Handbook for Classroom Instruction That Works

Handbook for Classroom Instruction That Works

What types of instructional strategies work best to improve student achievement? Where can I learn about those strategies? How can I use them in my classroom? Whether you address these issues alone or as part of a study group, you'll find the answers in this book. These strategies can be applied to all content, in all grades, with all students.

After briefly reviewing the

Paperback
Published December 3rd 2005 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Handbook for Classroom Instruction That Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handbook for Classroom Instruction That Works

Jason Lilly
May 31, 2011 Jason Lilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think one of the reasons why most of the reviews for this book are poor is because many school districts around the country have pushed these strategies down teachers throats. When this book was first distributed through our district, I was impressed because I was a fairly new teacher. The book includes many different strategies and even master copies of handouts and graphic organizers for use in the classroom. As a newer teacher, this is one of the things that makes a book of educational stra ...more
Tracey
This book is great for a new teacher, or an experienced teacher needing a refresher course on instruction. While there is nothing, I mean, NOTHING, new in this book, it does bring together instructional strategies for an effective teacher to use in the classroom.
Rick Christiansen
I had just finished Marzano's Classroom Instruction that Works so this handbook was redundant. I actually preferred the research stats and format of Classroom Instruction that Works compared to this one. This handbook has the same ideas presented in the other book, but in more of a self-study workshop type format. I did not go through and fill out each Module as the book was intended, so it was not that useful to me. New teachers may benefit more from this book (i.e. its graphic organizers, the ...more
Jessica
Dec 01, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, 2013
This is a great resource for teachers and review the following teaching strategies:
-Similarities & Differences
-Cues, Questions, & Advance Organizers
-Specific Types of Knowledge
Vwteach02
Jun 29, 2015 Vwteach02 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this along with our districts continuous improvement movement. This book works perfectly by creating a student-centered classroom and growth mindset. Definitely should be a read for every year!
Clickety
Jul 01, 2008 Clickety rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ownit, nonfiction
Details on several (six, I think) instructional strategies shown to be particularly effective in increasing student achievement.
Sally
Sally rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2012
William Roberts
William Roberts rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2014
Maria Buttram
Maria Buttram rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Bernadette Harris
Bernadette Harris rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Whitney
Whitney rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2008
Jami Anne
Jami Anne rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2011
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Susie Costa
Susie Costa rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2016
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Sherri Kulpa
Sherri Kulpa rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Eric A. Combs
Eric A. Combs rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
Rebecca Jagielski
Rebecca Jagielski rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Beth Baer
Beth Baer rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Barbara Nolasco
Barbara Nolasco rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Beth Rayl
Beth Rayl rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Don
Don rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2009
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Janice
Janice rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2010
Rachel Ray
Rachel Ray rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 06, 2010
Frida
Frida rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2014
Gail
Gail rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Need of All Learners
  • Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook
  • Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching
  • Visible Learning: A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement
  • Classroom Assessment for Student Learning: Doing It Right--Using It Well
  • Subjects Matter
  • Classroom Strategies for Interactive Learning
  • How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students
  • Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12
  • Quantum Teaching: Orchestrating Student Success
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • Rethinking Rubrics in Writing Assessment
  • Guided Reading: Good First Teaching for All Children
  • How to Reach and Teach Children with ADD/ADHD: Practical Techniques, Strategies, and Interventions
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding