Start by marking “The Pandora Principle (Star Trek #49)” as Want to Read:
The Pandora Principle (Star Trek #49)

The Pandora Principle (Star Trek: The Original Series #49)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  857 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A Romulan Bird of Prey mysteriously drifts over the neutral zone and into Federation territory. Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise investigate, only to find the ship dead in space. When Starfleet orders the derelict ship brought to Earth for examination, the Enterprise returns home with perhaps her greatest prize.
But the Bird of Prey carries a dangerous cargo, a
Published (first published April 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Pandora Principle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pandora Principle

Tammy
Oct 06, 2009 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. There are plenty better Star Trek novels, but for some reason, this story struck a chord in me when I was younger. I've read it quite a number of times, and nostalgic value alone makes it one of my favorites.
Nicole
Jul 11, 2008 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Spock's personal history with Saavik.
I have a young friend who wasn't even born when Star Trek aired but she has come to be very involved in the story line through the later shows. We often talk about SF and how it has changed through the decades but I have always adamantly avoided the spin off books so this left a hole in an area she particularly enjoys. So I have been given a selection to read.
I am surprised that I enjoyed them. The science was as weak as I feared, but otherwise they are book
Jun 29, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tos-novels
The first time I read this I found it gripping, but also hard, emotionally, to read, similarly to The Hunger Games, yet with a slightly different, more appealing quality. (which I haven't put my finger on yet. It may have some relation to the public hero dynamic for Katniss or the perpetuation of a truly horrifying system.) At the time, I wasn't aware that Saavik wasn't a one-off character for this book. The second time was easier, but I still cried at the return to Hellguard.

The major storyline
Kayla
Dec 11, 2012 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personally, I've never understood why it was good that Hope was left in Pandora's box. As Distress was released in the world, wouldn't we want Hope out, to battle Distress?

Anyway, I liked what Saavik says about the myth:
For myself," she said slowly, "I believe that people make their own evils--and the result is not a matter of chance. I believe a box opens... because that is its nature--and curiosity is ours. Trusting in gods does not keep it shut, and hope does not keep its evil from getting in
Daniel Kukwa
Apr 17, 2012 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Another first-rate tale from the movie-era of "Star Trek". This is a fine example of how to plug an interesting continuity hole without sacrificing solid, exciting, gripping, hilarious, poignant storytelling. This is the novel that not only gives Saavik a proper, multi-layered origin story, but cements why she is a worthy second-generation addition to the TOS universe. It's a crying shame Carolyn Clowes never wrote another "Star Trek" novel -- this is gold worthy of a Ferengi's desire.
Mary Norris
Nov 08, 2010 Mary Norris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book for the fact that I was able to discover the history of Saavik. Half-Vulcan, half-Romulan and completely tough, Commander Spock tries to teach her the ways of Vulcan. Her struggles are hard as expected, but worth it. But Spock and Saavik must unite one more time to return to Saavik's birthworld Hellguard to try and stop an evil plan of the Romulans.
Grey853
Jul 31, 2007 Grey853 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trek
I read this ages ago, and I still love it. I think it's one of the best ST novels for the orginal series. It's fast-paced, well-written, and has lots of character development for Spock.

I was afraid I'd be biased because I know the author, but I think I'd like it anyway even if I didn't know her.
Todd Neblett
Aug 15, 2008 Todd Neblett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is still to this day one of my favorite Star Trek novels. For anyone looking for a better understanding of Spock and Savek's relationship this book is a must read.
Greg Lindsay
Jun 24, 2012 Greg Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a wonderful story. Well written, I was hooked from the beginning, very hard to put down! Loved the incite into Saavik's life.
Alice
Jun 30, 2007 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Star Trek books of all time. Saavik as she might have been. Spock as a patient, but clueless father figure.
Shama
Aug 08, 2012 Shama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, it captures Spock and Saavik's characters beautifully, a must read if you're a Spock fan
SixBeforeLunch
A very well written book. Great for Saavik fans.
Carolin
Sep 14, 2012 Carolin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nach meinem zweiten Star Trek-Buch muss ich feststellen, dass die Geschichten rund um Vulkanier, Romulaner und die uns wohl noch am besten bekannten Terraner ganz nett sind, aber ein Trekkie werde ich wohl nicht mehr werden.

In diesem Buch geht es um Spock und seine Schülerin Saavik: Es wird beschrieben, wie sie sich fanden, welch enge Bindung (gerade für die emotional nun nicht gerade überschwänglichen Vulkanier) sie haben und wie sie gemeinsam das Universum retten. Dafür müssen sie jedoch auf d
Michael Blackmore
After getting tired of the current series of Star Trek books to the point of just writing them, even as fluff reading for my daily commute - I decided to dip into the older novelizations instead.

I have to say this one was a lot of fun. Not perfect, but some fun characterizations and backstory. Just right for commute reading.
J.D.
Jan 20, 2015 J.D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
One of the best Trek books, must read for Spock fans. I'm very NOT a fan of Saavik. But the book is wonderful.
Anna
Mar 11, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of a handful of ST tie-ins that I actually re-read from time to time
Charles
There were some things I liked a lot about this book, and other things I didn't care for. First, the writing was good in general, and written with a lot of heart and passion. However, there were a number of places where the story seemed to jump around so that it was hard to follow. It felt in places as if the writer were assuming the reader would know information that had not been clearly given. Not a bad story but I didn't follow it as well as I would have liked to.
Erin Edgar
As Star Trek novels go, it was just sort of there. That's not very explicit, I realize. Perhaps one of the reasons I appear so down on this book is that the pace seemed very slow. I was drawn to the book because of the main protagonist, who is a character about which little is revealed during either the television series or the movies. I liked the book because I was able to learn about her life as the author imagined it, but the rest of the plot seemed a bit thin.
Lightreads
Original series Star Trek book. Eh, you know, these things go through you like water. This one at least has some lovely personality complexities, touching as it does on some of the more troubling aspects of Kirk's nature by sidelining him for the entire story. Also, I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I actually enjoy Spock and Saavik.

Justin
Jun 18, 2010 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book- it was one of the better ST books I've read. I'd give it four stars if it wouldn't destroy my reputation as a reader of only the finest literature available in the English language (haha yeah right) If you like the series, especially the vulcans/ romulans, you'll probably like Pandora Principle. Trekkie Nerds Unite!
Michael Hanscom
The framing story is acceptable Trek adventure, but this was more interesting for the exploration of Saavik's childhood, with some entertaining moments with Spock cast as an unwitting foster-father to an obstinate half-Romulan, half-Vulcan child.
Kreg
Oct 12, 2009 Kreg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-tos
A well constructed tale of Savvik's origins / youth. Characterizations were excellent, plot held my interest throughout, and not too heavy on technology issues. A very good read!
Mikael Kuoppala
May 27, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel with a reasonably decent plot and a truly great narrative style gives us interesting insights into its characters.
Travis
Feb 03, 2010 Travis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Fairly typical 'mystery disease' Trek story made slightly interesting by focusing on Spock and Savik.
Kaci
Sep 16, 2009 Kaci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
The lure of a pretty box with the power of hidden memories, makes for a compelling tale.
Mely
May 22, 2013 Mely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saavik was my canon Mary Sue.
rivka
Oct 21, 2009 rivka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrek
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Brenda Schichtl
Brenda Schichtl rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
  • The Final Nexus
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • The Great Starship Race
  • A Flag Full of Stars (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #2)
  • Sanctuary
  • Web of the Romulans
  • Ice Trap
  • The Kobayashi Maru

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire