Start by marking “The Complete Poems” as Want to Read:
The Complete Poems

The Complete Poems

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  17,260 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews

Keats's first volume of poems, published in 1817, demonstrated both his belief in the consummate power of poetry and his liberal views. While he was criticized by many for his politics, his immediate circle of friends and family immediately recognized his genius. In his short life he proved to be one of the greatest and most original thinkers of the second generation of Ro

Published (first published 1820)

Praveen
Sep 24, 2016 Praveen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is said that the poem "To Autumn" marks the end of poetic career of Keats.
He died at 25, writing poetry for only about 5 odd years.

But I think he wrote enough, to exist in the hearts of poetry lovers world wide, forever.

A collection of wonderfully composed, natural, sensual and emotional imagery of ...A romantic poet !

Lines from Final stanza of "To Autumn".....

Where are the songs of Spring? Ay, where are they?
Think not of them, thou hast thy music too,–
While barred clouds bloom the soft-dyi
Kelly
Jun 13, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry fans, 18th/19th Century Lit fans
I'm going to come right out and say that I'm not usually a huge poetry fan. (Except in the epic sense where it's actually basically a novel, Byron, or Shakespeare.) But I make a huge exception for Keats. I adore Keats. All of Keats. You can't show me a poem of Keats that I wouldn't like. This stuff is so heartbreakingly beautiful sometimes, I can hardly stand it.

If anyone else has a poet to recommend that they can't live without, please do. I would really like to get more into poetry. I just ha
Manny
Dec 08, 2014 Manny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
On first looking into Chapman's Homer Bjørneboe's Bestialitetens historie

MUCH have I travell'd in the realms of gold,
And many goodly states and kingdoms seen;
Round many western islands have I been
Which bards in fealty to Apollo hold.
Oft of one wide expanse had I been told
That deep-brow'd Homer ruled as his demesne:
Yet did I never breathe its pure serene
Till I heard Chapman speak out loud and bold:
Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken;
Or lik
Mademoiselle Karma
Oh what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
Alone and palely loitering?
The sedge has withered from the lake,
And no birds sing.

Oh what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
So haggard and so woe-begone?
The squirrel's granary is full,
And the harvest's done.

I see a lily on thy brow,
With anguish moist and fever-dew,
And on thy cheeks a fading rose
Fast withereth too.

I met a lady in the meads,
Full beautiful - a faery's child,
Her hair was long, her foot was light,
And her eyes were wild.

I made a garland for her
Conor Walsh
Aug 17, 2010 Conor Walsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Every morning I would wake at 7am just to read this work of genius.

Keats was the Romantic poet who cared most about art and beauty. He didn't allow himself to get mixed up in religion and politics. But in quiet ways, he did comment on political, religious, aesthetic, and sexual beliefs, sometimes in ways that were less traditional than his poetic style. Above all, he was supremely conscious of beauty in the world, as well as the world's suffering. His 143page poem 'Endymion: A Poetic Romance' wo
Lady Jane
Sep 27, 2011 Lady Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Keats... lovely as his writings were, achieved fame only posthumously. Posthumous fame has to be one of the saddest things for an artist, especially for John Keats, whose situation never really got any happier. The poor lad died at the age of 29 after struggling with tuberculosis for years. As if this were not bad enough, critics of his time were very harsh on him... they disliked him because he did not derive from a wealthy family, and claimed that an farm boy like John Keats cannot possib ...more
Mar 05, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah Keats, truest literary love of my life. At least once or twice a year I feel the need to get lost in this book for a little while, and it always feels like having tea and a deep, tearful discussion with a dear friend. It also takes me back to my wonderful memories of studying in England, and all the time I spent belatedly stalking Keats (walking along the path in Winchester where he composed "To Autumn," visiting his home in Hampstead, reading rare biographies in gorgeous old libraries, etc.) ...more
Athena Shardbearer

Lamia

I was a woman, let me have once more
A woman’s shape, and charming as before.
I love a youth of Corinth – O the bliss!
Give me my woman’s form, and place me where he is.
Stoop, Hermes, let me breathe upon thy brow,
And thou shalt see thy sweet nymph even now
Alan
May 01, 2012 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I taught Keats in Intro to Poetry courses for 35 years, and in 1986 appeared (& contributed to the script)
in an Oscar-nominated film, Keats and His Nightingale, originally to be titled Blind Date, but another by that title just edged us out. As a bird-whistler, I also acted the nightingale--I played him more as a Woodthrush (see R Frost's "Come In" on a Wood Thrush). In my companion essay to the film, I argued that that ode has a most unpromising start: Keats is high ("or emptied some dull o
Lidia Mascaró
Aug 01, 2015 Lidia Mascaró rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keats? Johnny? What should I call you? I consider you a close friend, for you /always/ manage to speak to me on a very spiritual level. There is not really much I can say. If I began to talk about these poems, I'd write a novel. Simply amazing, genius, excellent, superb... you get the drill. Your poems have been my safe haven for the last six months now, and I can safely say you have made me fall in love with both life and death in the best ways possible. Thank you very much.
Helen Torres
John Keats had sense of the power and romance of literature and espoused the sanctity of emotion and imagination, and privileged the beauty of the natural world.
Many of the ideas and themes evident in Keats’s great odes are quintessentially Romantic concerns: the beauty of nature, the relation between imagination and creativity, the response of the passions to beauty and suffering, and the transience of human life in time.
Definitely a collection of wonderfully composed, natural, sensual and em
Paul Dinger
Mar 21, 2010 Paul Dinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that it was the movie Bright Star that got me to read the very slim oveare that is Keat's body of work. Yet, for such a small output, it had a huge following. Keats is very influentional through out the Victorian age. There are all kinds of influence on writers from Tennyson to Matthew Arnold and Browning. It seems to me that a major theme in Keats is work is potential unfufilled. It is a major theme in Ode to a Grecian Urn and Eve of Saint Agnes, where the love story is told fro ...more
Patrick Gibson
Aug 23, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who can read
Recommended to Patrick by: calliope
Shelves: poetry
People always pair Keats and Milton. Milton shmilton. Keats is the man. Probably the finest English poet. I think he should shack up with John Donne. Wouldn’t you like to take a walk with those two by your side? I wonder if they ever wrote any dirty limericks?

Think Of It Not, Sweet One

John Keats

Think not of it, sweet one, so;—
Give it not a tear;
Sigh thou mayst, and bid it go
Any—anywhere.

Do not lool so sad, sweet one,—
Sad and fadingly;
Shed one drop then,—it is gone—
O ’twas born to die!

Still
Megan
Mar 24, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sad people in need of catharsis.
Recommended to Megan by: A nightengale.
I bring this with me when I am forced to ride the Metro. Mostly I read "Ode to a Nightengale", "Ode on Melancholy" and "The Eve of St. Agnes" and teeter on the edge of crying and not-crying. I think he really understood depression. Hit up that last stanza of "Melancholy" and you'll have a little window into my brain. Mom assures me that "Endymion" will also make me cry. Maybe it will make you cry, too!
Autumn Meier
Jul 28, 2015 Autumn Meier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
MY FAVORITE POET EVER.

Super sophisticated review, right?
Therese Ptak
Jul 28, 2012 Therese Ptak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am in LOVE with Keats. He's one of my favorites if not my absolute FAVORITE poet. His sonnets are deep touching and beautiful. His poem "the Lamia" and "Bright Star" are so beautifully written. If you haven't yet aquainted yourself with him, buy a book of his poetry and start. If you can get a hold of some of his written letters (they are often published with his poems) read them, it's so interesting to see his thought process!
Rachael
Apr 29, 2016 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Keats writes with a depth that carries you to places you never expected to experience. His work is exceptional, thought provoking, and shows a depth which will leave his readers to ponder on verses he wrote. We will always find the essence of his poems and use them in our lives. wanting to read his poems over and over again!
Gabrielle
Oct 02, 2012 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of the Romantic poets, Keats is by far my favorite. I don't know if it was the tragedy of his brief life or the simple way he put being into words, but every time I read his poetry, my pulse slows and the world stands still.
Susan
Jul 10, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful poet and beautiful man - he died too soon. I love the poetry, the letters, all of it. Found it on Google for free (pubilc domain!) in e-book form, sought it out after watching the movie Bright Star, about his love affair with Fanny Brawne. I recommend that as well.
Edward
Tables of Dates
Further Reading

--Imitation of Spenser
--On Peace
--'Fill for me a brimming bowl'
--To Lord Byron
--'As from the darkening gloom a silver dove'
--'Can death be sleep, when life is but a dream'
--To Chatterton
--Written on the Day that Mr Leigh Hunt left Prison
--To Hope
--Ode to Apollo ('In thy western halls of gold')
--Lines Written on 29 May The Anniversary of the Restoration of Charles the 2nd
--To Some Ladies
--On Receiving a Curious She
Mar 16, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This pleasant tale is like a little copse:
The honied lines do freshly interlace,
To keep the reader in so sweet a place,
So that he here and there full hearted stops;
And of ten times he feels the dewy drops
Come cool and suddenly against his face,
And by the wandering melody trace
Which way the tender-legged linnet hops.
Oh! what a power has white simplicity!
What mighty power has this gentle story!
I, that do ever feel athirst for glory,
Could at this moment be content to lie
Meekly upon the grass, as th
Austin Krause
Personal Response:
I only read the poem "To Autumn" from this book's collection of poems. I thought this poem was a pretty good one. It was pretty easy to read the whole thing with a high level of understanding. I think I really enjoyed the poem because I was able to really connect to it by my own experiences.
Plot:
There is not a true plot to this poem, only that it describes what all an autumn day will hold. The author describes the changing of the plants and sounds. He also describes the actions
Dianne
Oct 22, 2011 Dianne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
It seems I have found a poet I don't like at all. I know his poetry is loved by many, but I fear I will not be one of them. Granted I have read only the 21 poems found in this book and I really don't know how many more he wrote, although dying at the way too young age of 25 didn't give him enough time to be really prolific. Poetry is such a subjective thing that it's difficult to explain why one likes some and not others but I'll try to pinpoint some of the things that kept me at arm's length.

Ke
Naima Haviland
Oct 20, 2013 Naima Haviland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read much poetry, and when I do it's modern and in-your-face. However, I saw the Jane Campion movie, Bright Star, which focuses on the doomed romance between John Keats and Fanny Brawne. It's so beautiful, and it made me want to learn more about Keats. So I read The Complete Poems cover to cover, in order. I will not tell you I found it easy, but it was rewarding. Keats surprised me and, at times, moved me.

On the surface, his romantic style, seemed very far removed from my modern sensibi
Leola
Feb 23, 2016 Leola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Best read alongside Rollins's edition of The Letters of John Keats: Volume 2, 1819 1821: 1814 1821.

In 1819 Keats wrote to his brother George:
"My name with the literary fashionables is vulgar-I am a weaver boy to them..."
And actually, it's not a bad comparison. Keats's work was famously unpopular amongst his contemporaries. His publication of Endymion was met with scorn; and even now it doesn't read much better-self-indulgent, immature. But in Keats's later poems, such as 'Ode to Psyche,' and 'O
Joshua Schenck
Jul 10, 2007 Joshua Schenck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets and dreamers
Of course, Keats is one the most recognized of English poets, but he will always haunt, linger, and sleep in the more silkenly sorrowful oubliettes of my heart. The melancholy, somber tone of his voice confined and steadied by formal elegance never fails to produce a pensive, maudlin gaze bent toward a consideration or disquisition of rest, of a time when one can breathe fully, with winnowing ease, as each suspiration unloads a weight or an onus regardless of how many times vapor slips past the ...more
the mad hatter
Sep 08, 2012 the mad hatter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keat’s poems and letters are an absolute pleasure to read. Keats is one of the most seductive poets I have ever read. His words have completely captivated me, and his letters are further irresistible. Although he could be contradictory and manipulative, he is nonetheless loveable. He had a very short life, and yet, he still managed to write some of the most beautiful poems ever written in the English Language.

Keats also had an enduring interest in antiquity and the ancient world. His longer poe
Steve
Mar 05, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How is it, Shadows! that I knew ye
not?
How came ye muffled in so hush a mask?
Was it a silent deep-disguised plot
To steal away, and leave without a task
My idle days? Ripe was the drowsy
hour;
The blissful cloud of summer-indolence
Benumb'd my eyes; my pulse grew
less and less;
Pain had no sting, and pleasure's wreath
no flower:
O, why did ye not melt, and leave
sense
Unhaunted quite of all but -- nothing-
ness?

(from Ode on Indolence)
Jeff
Jul 03, 2009 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Keats is one of the finest poets who has ever lived, and he died at 25, and this praise comes from one who is not much of a fan of poetry in general. Not much else can be said other than everyone should sample his work (poems and letters)if they wish to be moved or inspired as no other could.
Christopher
Despite my lack of background in Greek mythology I enjoy Keats for his extraordinary skill with words. That being said, you have to sift through some very unremarkable poems to get to the gems. And goddamn John, why do you love the word 'poesy' so much?
Blog Posts - What is acceptable? 2 18 Oct 09, 2013 08:48AM
The Reader's Den 2 23 Sep 17, 2012 07:42AM
  • The Major Works
  • The Complete English Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • The Collected Poems of W.B. Yeats
  • Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
  • The Complete Sonnets and Poems
  • My Last Duchess and Other Poems
  • The Complete Poetry
  • Poems and Prose
  • Collected Poems
  • Selected Poems and Fragments
11978
John Keats was one of the principal poets of the English Romantic movement. During his short life, his work received constant critical attacks from the periodicals of the day, but his posthumous influence on poets such as Alfred Tennyson has been immense. Elaborate word choice and sensual imagery characterize Keats's poetry, including a series of odes that were his masterpieces and which remain am ...more
More about John Keats...

“Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know”
411 likes
Bright Star

Bright star, would I were steadfast as thou art—
Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft-fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors—
No—yet still stedfast, still unchangeable,
Pillow'd upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live ever—or else swoon to death.”
208 likes