Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes: The complete illustrated novels” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes: The complete illustrated novels

Sherlock Holmes: The complete illustrated novels

To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the first Sherlock Holmes novel, A Study in Scarlet, this new collection brings together all four of the longer adventures of the great detective.

These gripping stories span the career of the master sleuth, from his historic first meeting with Dr Watson to his clashes with the arch-villain Moriarty. Original illustrations from The Stra
Published March 1987 by Chancellor Press

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes

Jun 07, 2007 Mary-Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I believe this is the collection that I read recently. Sherlock Holmes has always been a favourite of mine. Who can resist the character himself, his supreme arrogance and self-satisfaction, and justifiably so, for he is a genius. Watson's hero worship, which includes always testing his mentor is another constant delight. I need to get my hands on more Sherlock Holmes soon.
SenazNasansia Muliawan
Sep 05, 2007 SenazNasansia Muliawan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read good novels
Shelves: fiction
One word... Superb!
It's the best fiction novel about detective ever..
I absolutely recommend this book to all of you who like good novels.
I myself basically don't like detective novels. Except for this one.
Sir Arthur is definitely brilliant when it comes to describing the adventures of Sherlock and Dr. Watson.
I can't stop reading it. Curiosity is the key. And Sir Arthur seems to know his reader like it.

Kim rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2009
Sep 06, 2010 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked these four short novels, but I did find myself ready for each one of them to be over before it was. And I'd had more than my fill of them by the fourth novel. However, they are iconic for good reason. Sherlock Holmes is quite an interesting fellow. However, he's a tad inconsistent. Though I didn't really want to read the four of them all at once, each novel does have different things to offer. _A Study in Scarlet_ has the set-up, the introduction to Sherlock and Watson, which is fun. It ...more
Malcolm rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Oct 15, 2011 Mel rated it really liked it
I have three of the four novel length story prior to borrowing this book, so I was mostly enjoying the illustration more than actually reading it. As to the last story, I was getting fatigued by the 'conspiracy' at that point the holmesian mystery portion has lost its persisting charm to keep me reading the back story (I am also aware that of all 4 novels this is rated the lowest of all Sherlock Holmes story among Sherlockian readers, so it might have applied a little for me).
Sep 18, 2011 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Oct 20, 2011 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My book club will see the Holmes 2 movie, then use this extremely clear and helpful edition to guide our discussion of both the film and the great old Arthur Conan Doyle texts! This is a great bargain at $0.99, and the study guide is by professors at Princeton University--how great is that??
Smcaron Yahoocom
Smcaron Yahoocom rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2012
♥Beauty With a Brain♥
♥Beauty With a Brain♥ rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2012
Sep 24, 2014 TeresaFL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
6/15 - Finished "A Study in Scarlet". I'm reading all of the Sherlock Holmes books/stories with a friend because we've become such fans of the BBC production of Sherlock. Loved rereading this and seeing where the show and the book coincided.

6/19 - Finished "The Sign of Four".
Andrew Moore
Andrew Moore rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2012
Mar 05, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of the Four. Had to check several times to make sure "Part 2" of A Study in Scarlet was really part of the book when I started reading it!
Oct 10, 2012 Tarqs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes is one of the classics and a must read for all. I for one usually hate short stories but fortunately in this case you can get many short stories following the same characters so I didn't mind :) Over fantastic and a must read.
Dec 12, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four novels in one, so I'll break down my thoughts.

A Study In Scarlet (3/5): Starts out as a great detective novel. Just as the suspense builds and the murderer is uncovered, you go to Utah for 60 pages and the pacing faceplants. Still worth reading; just don't read it first or you may be discouraged from reading other novels.

The Sign of Four (5/5): Probably my favorite of the bunch; or at least the most interesting backstory, as well as the most satisfying resolution.

The Hound of The Baskervill
Jan 05, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
As a kid I had read and cherished several of the Sherlock Holmes short stories, and as an adult I have greatly enjoyed BBC's series "Sherlock." Naturally, I felt inclined to read the novels.

This edition includes all four of the Sherlock Holmes novels, "A Study in Scarlet," "The Sign of the Four," "The Hound of Baskerville," and "The Valley of Fear." Each stars the delightfully eccentric Sherlock Holmes and his devoted colleague Dr. Watson as they look beyond the obvious to solve heinous criminal
Mar 06, 2013 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those authors and characters that I had always intended to read but never had. Great classic stories. A great read and highly recommended - beware, will affect your manner of speech!
Aug 04, 2013 Raj rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, whodunnit, crime
This omnibus volume contains all four Sherlock Holmes novels by Arthur Conan Doyle. It's a companion volume to Sherlock Holmes The Complete Illustrated Short Stories and is as beautifully illustrated as the other with the illustrations from the original serial publication in Punch and the other magazines of the day.

The four novels contained within are all well known, possibly excepting the last one. Holmes' first appearance is in A Study in Scarlet, which sees Holmes and Watson take up residence
Aug 13, 2013 Madiha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very thrilling. Highly recommend it. Specially the hound of Baskerville. It sent chills down my spine.
Esa rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
Sep 20, 2013 Rodrigo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Desde que, siendo niño, leí el primer caso de Sherlock Holmes ("El misterio de la banda moteada", si no mal recuerdo), se convirtió en uno de mis personajes favoritos. Tan favorito que me tomé casi como una ofensa personal lo que le hicieron con la película de Robert Downey Jr. Ahora leo por primera vez cuatro casos, de manera completa, y me vuelvo a maravillar de la manera en que Conan Doyle nos envuelve, nos intriga y nos conduce hacia la solución sin que podamos ni siquiera suponerla. Persona ...more
Steve Bucci
Steve Bucci rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Alicia rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2014
Kevin Nguyen
Kevin Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
Marcus Cerny
Marcus Cerny rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
M rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2015
Cerize Sicat
May 28, 2015 Cerize Sicat rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with Sherlock and Dr. Watson more. The illustrations are all so good.
Scott Kaltenbaugh
Scott Kaltenbaugh rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Cheryl Kelly
Cheryl Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
DefunMatt rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • A Brush with Death (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #2)
  • The Annotated Milton: Complete English Poems
  • The House of Green Turf (Felse, #8)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Nuestra señora de París: Volumen II
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway Mysteries and Other Stories
  • The Bohemian Girl (Denton, #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • Who Is Mark Twain?
  • Best Detective Stories of Agatha Christie
  • False Scent (Roderick Alleyn, #21)
  • The Forgotten Village
  • The Death of Ivan Ilyich/Master and Man
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • Levantul
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...