Start by marking “The MacArthur Study Bible, NKJV” as Want to Read:
The MacArthur Study Bible, NKJV

The MacArthur Study Bible, NKJV

4.58 of 5 stars 4.58  ·  rating details  ·  912 ratings  ·  66 reviews
From the moment you pick it up, you'll know it's a classic. Featuring the word-for-word accuracy of the New King James Version, "The MacArthur Study Bible" is perfect for serious study.

Dr. John MacArthur has compiled more than 20,000 study notes, a 200-page topical index, and numerous charts, maps, outlines, and articles to create "The MacArthur Study Bible." No other stud
Published October 1st 2006 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published October 5th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The MacArthur Study Bible, NKJV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The MacArthur Study Bible, NKJV

Isaiah
Everyone needs to read the bible. If you don't have one get one and start reading (never stop).
Paige Mefferd
The Bible is the best book that I own. I mean it! I couldn't imagine a better life book! I love the Lod and this book!
Frank Della Torre
God has blessed the ministry of John MacArthur in an incredible way. Speaking from my own personal experience, I have been extremely blessed by the rigorous and God-honoring teachings of MacArthur. We live in a day and age in which the supposed mark of a "loving Christian" is "tolerance" and "inclusivism." It seems as though Biblical Orthodoxy is under attack in the evangelical churches! First and foremost, the church must always, without fail, stand upon the unchanging teachings of God, regardl ...more
Ralph
Jun 04, 2012 Ralph rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone especially my kids
John MacArthur's Study Bible in the New King James is the best one I have owned. It is now my number one read and resource for all things in this world and beyond. There are more than 20,000 notes referencing most of the verses in the entire Bible. This gives clarity and perspective to the Bible.
I listen to John's podcasts on my ipod when going for long walks. Each one is 28 minutes and easily downloaded from Grace to You Ministries. There are more than 4,000. A few more download each time the i
Dave TN
This will remain in my "currently reading" list permanently because it is for a lifetime of study. This has been my favorite translation of The Holy Bible. I really like the New King James Version (NKJV), and I especially like this one with John MacArthur's commentary for every verse, and introduction notes for every book.

For anyone interested in my routine, I try to read one chapter and commentary for that chapter each day. I succeed at this five or six days a week, early in the morning. I hav
Heather's Mum
There is no doubt that the New Kings James Version is a good translation from the original Hebrew, Greek and the few passages of Aramaic script. So, of course the BIBLE Scripture itself gets 5 stars. I gave this edition 3 stars because of the LARGE "MacArthur" printed before the Study Bible title on the spine, the pronounced authorship credit on the title page and voluminous personal doctrine, opinions and interpretations.

I take minor issue with this edition because the Bible is the Holy Bible,
Steven Henry
Aug 30, 2007 Steven Henry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE! Great notes!
Shelves: favoritebooks
God has blessed Pastor John MacArthur with an ability to study His Word and break it down and apply it. There are so many people out there who pick and choose parts of the Bible they like and don't like. But, John MacArthur (and others like him) do their best to teach "the whole counsel" of the Word of God. In a day where so few know or even understand the words of Jesus and the message He preached, Pastor John MacArthur is one of few teaching the practical, applicable message of Jesus Christ or ...more
Chris Fowler
As one who believes that Pastor MacArthur is one of the finest Bible expositors in our day, I bought copies of this study Bible for my entire family. My only regret was that at the time it was only in the NKJV, and I prefer the NASB, which they have now come out with.
Derek
the Best study Bible on the market. Very in-depth and thourough in its commentary. Easy to understand and has excellent Scripture reference and concordance work.
Martin Lowe
Nov 30, 2007 Martin Lowe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All humans
I'm a sinner!!! But have been redeemed, Amen
Tessa McKnight
This is such a GREAT study Bible!!!!!!!
Amy
2/10/09
Matthew 1:1-17
Level One:
1)What is contained in this passage?-The geneology of Jesus Christ.

2)Who are some of the "important" people in Jesus' geneology?-To the Jews of the time, Jesus's most famous relatives included Abraham, David, and Solomon.

3)Who were the three Gentiles in Jesus's family?-Tamar, Rahab, and Ruth were the three Gentiles in Jesus's family.

Level Two:
1)What was the significance of Matthew listing these Gentile women in Jesus's geneology?-The significance was to signify tha
Enio De Souza
Very good Study Bible. I came to this Bible when I was looking for a good Study Bible! I got a good deal on it and it was very great surprise that I really enjoy its content! The extensive notes are a great aid to serious Bible study, particularly from a Fundamental Baptist point of view. This is now my favorite study bible and I highly recommend it to others. Thanks God, it is also available in Portuguese!!!
Nathan
Feb 16, 2009 Nathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: IRS, prostitutes, hedonsists, atheists, everyone else who can read
Love the introductions (author and date, background and setting, historical and theological themes, and interpretive challenges) to each book in the Bible, 66 in total. I have really appreciated how he gives evidence in side margins for more literal translations of words in certain passages or contested translation points. The research put into this Bible and the honesty of MacArthur is most refreshing. I have used it for several years and continue to grow mentally and, more importantly, spirit ...more
Bill
Great Bible to read and study. Gave it a four instead of a 5 because of the few less than reformed point of view. Worth having and reading.
Luke Brown
This was the Study Bible I went through in 2012. I have always enjoyed many of MacArthur's books but we don't agree on some areas, such as the sacraments or the end times. It is amazing how many times he can bring those up, especially the end times. When I want to study those in more depth and get an idea of different opinions, I will come back to this. Meanwhile, it grew frustrating and I skimmed over the footnotes pretty quickly, especially in Revelation. I did enjoy much of the New King James ...more
SeriouslyJerome
This is a bit misleading - I'm reading the ESV translation of the Bible at esvbible.org, in a one year, chronological reading plan. There's an option to read John MacArthur's notes along with the text, so that's what I'm doing. And I LOVE the option to listen to the text, as read by Max McLean.

*done!*
Enjoyed having the notes right next to the text while reading it online. Very convenient - & even accessible on my phone, which was how I read/listed to most of it.
Rachel
May 04, 2007 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Christian
This is probably my favorite study Bible. My dad and brother and mom all have the real study Bible but I have the student Bible and.......well, at the beginning of March, I made it a goal to read the Bible twice a day. I haven't completely stuck to my plan, but while reading this Bible. I really feel like I'm getting a good grasp on what I'm reading (mainly because of the little footnotes and q&a boxes), even if it's only once a day. I totally recommend this to everyone.
James
Jul 09, 2013 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to James by: bible book shop
"I like it - but upon purchasing it i was shocked to suddenly come across a lot of negative reviews that where almost off putting , but on reflection the negative reviews i think where unfair and coming from christians very uncharitable 'John Macarthur is a good solid bible preacher / teacher and although im no calvinist in my bible theology , still i greatly respect him and am thankful God has lent him to the church in our dark days....."
D. L.
This is a wonderful study bible and is sound in the doctrine of the Gospel. Dr. MacArthur has given the truth of the Gospel for almost fifty years and his passion for teaching the Gospel is amazing. This Bible has increase my knowledge of God and how He wants to use me in reaching His people with the truth. A wonderful addition to the Christian's study tools.
Stacy
Dec 29, 2007 Stacy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone!
This is probably THE BEST study Bible out there! I got it for Christmas, and can't stop reading it! If you want a study Bible that explains things in a literal, historical, gramatical way, get this Bible! There are a lot of more liberal Bibles out there, but this is not one of them! :-)
Todd Bryant
MacArthur's view of the church is too broad. The Bible only speaks of a local church (ie. the church at Corinth, the church at Ephesus, etc.). However, his study notes are great other than than. He generally has good thoughts to accompany the verses.
Wendy Spencer
MacArthur's commentary explained things I didn't realize needed to be. I read this version through a very difficult time in my life and finished reading just as Christ roared into my heart, "It is finished." Praise God for His Word Incarnate!
Stephanie
Just finished reading through the entire Bible for the very first time! Wow, what a blessing to be able to read God's Word!

I give it 5 stars because it's the BIBLE! Probably 3 stars for the translation/study notes. :)
John Chilman
Best study bible ever! I lo e the notes and I love New King James version. Was a little rough in Revelation with the left behind angle on stuff but definitely my favorite version of scripture!
Greg Judy
This is an excellent commentary on both the Old and New Testaments, plus maps and other special features. I own several study Bibles and this is probably the best one I own.
Davinci Thang
Well, I have just started reading the book, but not the Book, of course.But I don't understand some English it used.He said we can finish the Bible in less than 3 years!!good...
I love this Bible. It has great comments and supports and explanations. It clearly links sections of the Bible together which helps me to have a clearer picture.
Lisa
English Standard Version I really like the translation, and his commentary is quite good, even if I don't agree 100% of the time, probably 99% of the time!
Kat
One of the best translations paired with one of the best expositors living today - AWESOME resource, and highly recommended!
  • Hard to Believe: The High Cost and Infinite Value of Following Jesus
  • The School of Biblical Evangelism: 101 Lessons: How to Share Your Faith Simply, Effectively, Biblically... the Way Jesus Did
  • John MacArthur: Servant of the Word and Flock
  • How to Study Your Bible
  • The Attributes of God
  • Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible: Complete and Unabridged in One Volume
  • All of Grace [With CD]
  • Faith Alone: The Evangelical Doctrine of Justification
  • The God Who Justifies
  • A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God's Love
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights Holy Bible: New International Version The Epic of Gilgamesh The Bhagavad Gita