3000 Degrees: The True Story of a Deadly Fire and the Men Who Fought It

3000 Degrees: The True Story of a Deadly Fire and the Men Who Fought It

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In the fading industrial city of Worcester, Massachusetts, there are men whose jobs are to brave danger, endure long shifts, and trust other men with their lives. Like their counterparts in cities and small towns everywhere, they are firefighters, and like firefighters everywhere, they take enormous pride in their brotherhood and their calling. On December 3, 1999, as the...more
Published March 31st 2002 by Warner (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about 3000 Degrees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 3000 Degrees

Matt
"The funny thing about firemen is...night and day, they're always firemen."
-- Donald Sutherland, Backdraft.

3000 Degrees is the story six firemen who died in a Worcester warehouse fire on December 3, 1999. The warehouse was a big, brick, windowless monster with a labyrinthine interior that was hard to navigate in daytime, sans fire. When it became dark, filled with smoke and flame, it was a death maze. The fire started after a vagrant fight knocked over a candle. The fire feasted on the interior...more
Cindy
The story of the Worcester Cold Storage fire in December 1999 - the author actually wrote an article about it for a magazine and later expanded it into this book. This fire took the lives of 6 firemen - 2 who were searching for possible victims and got lost/trapped in the building, and 4 more who went after them. This building was a deathtrap, the perfect fire box - insulated to hold in the heat, chemicals treating the walls, and lots of walls and false turns to confuse even the most seasoned fi...more
Al
This book hurt, I know John Sullivan from Engine 3 and could feel his anguish when he came out of the building and was looking for his 2 lost firefighters.
Eric_W
Apr 13, 2010 Eric_W rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read about the technology of firefighting
Sean Flynn writes for Esquire and this is based partially on an article he wrote about the terrible fires suffered by Worcester, Massachusetts. The town has lost much of its industrial base and there were many abandoned buildings that were worth more from insurance claims than as empty buildings. It was not uncommon for engine companies to be called out to fires three to five times per night. Sometimes, the fire might be a prelude to the big one, a small fire just enough to set off the sprinkler...more
Jann
I don't remember this story too well from when it actually happened and was in the newspaper. Had I known I was going to marry a firefighter, I probably would have paid closer attention.

A series of almost unavoidable, unintentional errors left the fire department with a crushing loss. The district manager and the men who were there will undoubtedly never forget it; it was their brothers who were lost. Modern firefighters will hopefully not forget it; some of the surviving men travel and lecture...more
Jack Walsh
As a blaze rages on in the factory as everyone else enjoys the beautiful night. The night was like any other night for all the firefighters on duty until they found out were the call was when the alarm rang through the fire house. In 3000 degrees by Sean Flynn a massive fire is ripping through an abandoned factory. This non fiction piece tells a heroic story of the brave men and women who fought the horrific blaze.

The quote really shows a meaning of brotherhood that all firefighters have. "Yet...more
Kristin
I don't specifically remember this tragedy, though as I read the book, I had a vague recollection. Unfotunately, after 9/11 whenever I think of mass casualty firefighting events, the attack on the World Trade Center blocks out all of the others in my mind. Very similar to 9/11 was this fire in an abandoned meat processing plant in Worchester, MA. The firefighters went into the building without knowing what awaited them beyond the walls, with the intent to rescue anyone who may be trapped inside....more
Phyrman21
I can't believe what the incident commander must have gone through to be in command of a fire where 6 of his men were lost.

Great book. Filled with leadership lessons. Tragic loss of life. All detailed in this book. I don't put many books on my "read this one again list". But this one is. Despite the horrible tales of firefighters dying, this was a great book.
Jim
A gripping account of a five-alarm fire in 1999 that killed six firefighters in Worcester, Massachusetts at an abandoned warehouse building, 3000 Degrees is a to-the-point tale of the men who fought the fire, the events leading up to the blaze, and, most interestingly, a look into the character of the station commander who oversaw a terrible disaster in a building he feared would go up.

The author does not dwell on too much outside detail, but instead competently covers the backgrounds of the fir...more
Anna Engel
Although it reads somewhat like a cleaned-up version of a human-interest piece for a magazine (which it was), "3000 Degrees" is the compelling true story of the firefighters in Worcester. After responding to a fire at the cold storage warehouse, six firemen are lost and later determined to have perished. Their families, other firefighters, and the town are devastated.

What struck me most was the unwavering commitment of the firefighters for each other and for anyone else who might still be in the...more
Anastacia
My husband grew up in Worcester, where this book takes place, and is obsessed with the work police and fire do. I'm rather surprised it took us both this long to read this, but I'm glad we finally did. Hubby, who's not a big reader, read this in less than a week & I finished it in one setting. We watched the news coverage non stop while this happened, and I was able to go to see the funeral procession, something I'll never forget.

This is the true story of the bad building, the fire that kill...more
Monty Allen
Solid book, not well-written. Fascinating story of the fire, but got a little lost in some of the extraneous detail in the back story of the firefighters. Good book, scary fire.
Eric Mccutcheon
Quick read about a terrible fire. Lots of good personal detail about the men and their families.
Ben Vogel
A well told story of a game-changing event in the fire service. The Worchester Cold Storage fire was quickly forgotten in the public eye after 9/11, but the lessons offered and the unsolvable truths revealed within that story have impacted how fires are managed ever since. The author strikes a good balance of telling a tale of the events, bringing forth the human sides of the story, while avoiding the overly melodramatic route that could have diminished the book in my view.
Hockeynut1977
3000 degrees is the retelling of one of Worcester Massachusetts's most tragic fires. It sucks the readers into the tragedy that took place in a abandoned warehouse on December 3rd, 1999. This book will grip you and never let go from start to finish. This is the first book I ever read in just about 3 or 4 days.
Dave Gaston
At Wooster Cold Storage, a huge 12 brick thick windowless death trap caught on fire. Six brave firemen, in teams of two, were trapped inside overtaken by chemical laced smoke and incredible heat. Flynn does a excellent job of bringing the fire to life, but fails to exalt his hero’s to the same status.
Craig Walker
A really good read not just for firefighters, but for everyone. This book doesn't just concern the fire, but also the lives of the firefighters before the blaze, and the after effects that the losses brought about with both brother firefighters, but also the families. Highly recommend.
Junior Greene
A great book about the men and women who sacrifice their lives for people they don't even know. You will feel like your are one of the fire fighters, one of the rescuers, and one of the family. Very easy read, and will keep you captivated until the last page.
Craig
This is a great account of the Worcester Cold Storage Building fire that took the lives of 6 firefighters. The author provides an excellent backdrop of the families and the brotherhood of firefighters. It is a quick read and worth picking up.
Amy Kannel
Swiped this one off my firefighter brother's bookshelf. Sobering and sad...it made me proud of my brother, and a little scared for him, too.
Abby Jones
This book was amazing! Well written. Will leave you haunted and a bit fire crazy for days. I think I'll start it again! Read it!
Jim Noyes
Very well done, great writing, a heartbreaking story done very well.
Barb Guiliotis
A beautiful tribute to the lost firefighters' lives.
William Allen
This book really hit me hard. Amazing book
Anne
Gripping account of the Worcester MA warehouse fire.
Eric F Knox
Fantastic book!
R. Sinnema
Worcester fire
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Adiel Sequera
Adiel Sequera marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Fighting 69th Beer Goggles On the Run: A Mafia Childhood Boston Da Chasing the Tiger's Tail