Start by marking “Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig” as Want to Read:
Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig

Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig (Mercy Watson #5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,294 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Can Mercy Watson outwit . . . Animal Control? The porcine wonder’s on the lam in her latest tongue-in-snout adventure!

Eugenia and Baby Lincoln may live next door to a pig, but that doesn’t stop them from living a gracious life. And the amiable Mercy Watson is equally determined to follow the delightful scent (and delicious taste) of the pansies her thoughtful neighbors are
Published February 8th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published June 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig

Nancy St. Clair
Jun 16, 2011 Nancy St. Clair rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: transitioning readers
Of course, since Ms. Kate DiCamillo is one my favorite authors, it is of most importance that I read everything that she writes. And the Mercy Watson series is as delightful and fun to read as any of her other books.

Although some of the characters, Mercy, a pig who loves buttered toast, and situations, a pig sipping lemonade while relaxing in a chaise lounge on a patio, seem to be quite silly and unreal, Mercy Watson proves herself to be a pig worth knowing even if she continually drives Euge

Emma and I only have one Mercy Watson book left! We will be sad to leave our friends on Deckawoo Drive.
The Mercy Watson books are so much fun for early readers!
I really like these Mercy Watson books, and this one is no exception. The characters are just so fun and so well developed! They each have personalities and presence, and I love doing voices for these characters. The fullness with which they are written really inspires a reader to have fun with bringing them to life.

The kids really enjoyed this story, the humor, and the bright, fun illustrations. Excellent read-aloud book, sure to keep kids happy.
I absolutely adore Mercy Watson, she is such a lovable, quirky pig. The things that she gets into are always a riot and this book is no exception. Though I didn't like this book as much as the others in the series, I still thought that the illustrations were hilarious and the book was very cute. I'd definitely recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog:
Mandy J. Hoffman
This is the adorable tale of Mercy the pig who the events that follow her pansy eating from the neighbors garden. While the books is broken into chapters it still can be easily read in one sittng. The hilarious story and funny illustrations make it fun to read and fun to listen to.
I liked this book because it is very funny and it has so many colorful illustration's and the characters i liked most of all is Mercy Watson the pig.This book is about a house pig who changes her house manners into pig manners.When she used her pig manners it turns out to be quiet a big mess in the Watson families house.And then Mercy gets lost outside.When they found her they made Mercy's pig manners into house manners again. It's a very good book to read hope you all enjoy this book.
Mercy Watson thinks Like a Pig is a comedy of errors. When Mercy eats the newly planted flowers by the Lincoln sisters, what will happen when they find out?

I enjoyed all of the Mercy Watson series, as did my just turned 7 year old daughter. I liked DiCamillo's witty story and the illustrations that further bring it to life. I highly recommend reading the stories in order as the characters from the earlier books are used throughout the series.

My daughter enjoys reading these books to herself and
Eugenia Lincoln plants flowers all around her house, and Mercy eats them. What else would you expect of a pig? But then Eugenia finally calls animal control on Mercy. Lucky for Mercy, the animal control officer "thinks like a pig" to track her down, which means, TOAST FOR EVERYONE!
My son and I weren't as enthused with this particular story, but it still captured our attention and I liked the focus on more secondary characters. (TBH, I'm on Eugenia's side for this story!)
Michele Knott
Why I love this book:
1. I love that the characters have inner dialogue. "Francine," she said to herself, "you've never encountered a pig before. This is a career-expanding opportunity."
2. The vocabulary. "unmentionable horror"
3. The best part of this book is that Chris Van Dusen added Mrs. Watson reading a copy of "Because of Winn-Dixie" in the first illustration of the book. Awesome.
DiCamillo, K. (2008). Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig. Massachusetts: Candlewick Press.
Gr. K-3. Mercy Watson loves to eat flowers. The neighbors flowers are so yummy, but she gets in trouble and runs of to escape the wrath of Eugenia Lincoln. That’s when Animal Control Officer Francine Poulet gets involved, and Mercy is running for her freedom!
Curriculum: This is a good beginner reader book. The vocabulary is easy to read and the chapters are short. This would be a good book to introduce the Anim
Mercy Watson is back and this time she's actually done something wrong as opposed to just stumbling into trouble! Eugenia Lincoln has decided that living next to a pig is no reason to not live a gracious life as exemplified by brand-new pansies planted around the house. Unfortunately, Mercy's nose detects the new flowers and, while they don't compare to hot buttered toast, Mercy decides they're tasty enough to do. When Eugenia discovers Mercy's destruction, Animal Control Officer Francine Poulet ...more
I bought a bunch of chapter books to read to my daughter. She had just reached the stage where she was happy to snuggle up an listen to a lengthy book (as opposed to needing pages to be constantly turned).

This is a great first choice as it is beautifully illustrated, it is a great transition.

I have three or four from this series, and the humour is wonderful.
This is one in a series of children's books about Mercy Watson, a pig who gets into trouble but usually, without trying, ends up being a hero and saving the day. Mercy is referred to as a "porcine wonder," by her family of humans. These books are entertaining and fun for children and adults who love reading to children.
Oh Mercy, what trouble you get into... Charming & with only a tiny bit of buttered toast. The neighbor has finally had it (Mercy did eat her flowers) & calls animal control. Animal control office Francine is... well.... she tries. Fun as a read aloud, a bit more difficult for a beginning reader.
Nicola Mansfield
Mercy is in a lot of trouble this time when she ventures over to the Lincoln sister's yard and starts to eat the pansies that Eugenia has just planted. Well, Eugenia has finally had it and calls the Animal Control Officer to come collect this menace of pig. Another cute story that had a few really funny moments but didn't make it as one of our favourites. Though we really did enjoy Eugenia finally blowing her top big time. The other books seemed to lead us to thinking that one day she would just ...more
I love Kate DiCamillo all the way to the very far reaches of my heart.

That's why I use her as my go-to read-aloud choice when I'm the storytime reader in my daughters' first grade class. I've read three other Mercy Watson books as the storytime reader. The kids went nuts for them, and now I've got a bit of a reputation when I arrive to read. This one, for the kids and for me, didn't have quite the same magic.

Mercy is as memorable as always, Francine Poulet is a hilarious new character, and Eugen
Grace Watkins
I loved this book. I still like to go back and read it even at my age because its so fun and exciting to read. I've the whole Mercy Watson series by Kate DiCamillo and she is an awesome and expressive writer. Mercy always makes me laugh too!
What a super cute, funny beginner reader chapter book. It has enough bright, colorful pictures to support the story and the chapters aren't too long. It's a fun read aloud as well and I can't wait to see what Mercy does next!
Colleen Mertens
The fifth installment in the Mercy Watson series. These books are very cute books for a beginning reader. This one introduces an animal control officer who isn't the most observant character. Very funny story.
I really think these are the perfect starter chapter books--short chapters, plenty of fun, bright pictures, and lots of silliness. Forrest loves them!
Tracie Hall
Two cute little stories about a couple and their pig. I have trouble rating books for very young people due to their simplicity.
The only Mercy Watson I haven't read a zillion times! It's a good one, too! Mercy reminds me of our dog, Bernie...
What a mischievous piggy! LOVE the story and all of the characters! The girls LOVE these books!
Rachel Ferguson
this was a good one. animal control came after mercy. the end was hot buttered toast.
Mercy Watson has found something delicious to eat and it is not hot buttered toast. Mercy has found Eugenia Lincoln's freshly planted pansies and Eugenia is not pleased. Animal Control is called and the officer, Poulet is trying to think like a pig. Meanwhile Mercy has been invited to a tea party that has not food! Not to worry there will be a hot buttered toast celebration at the end.

Great for beginning chapter book readers and for reading out loud (my mom and cat loved it) with large printing
A book review from my 9 year old daughter who has been reading Mercy books since they first came out and even though they are under her grade level now, she still wants to read them to see what Mercy is up to: Mercy Watson is a very cool pig. I love how in every book they end with eating buttered toast. There is always a mystery like in the one I just read, Think like a pig, they wondered who ate the flowers. Mercy is a pig, so what do you think happened? I definitely recommend this book for kid ...more
Liz Todd
These books are so much fun. Every one of them is a blast to read.
Books Kids Like
Eugenia Lincoln calls the animal control officer after Mercy eats all of her pansies.
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission
  • Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • Happy Pig Day! (Elephant & Piggie, #16)
  • Learning to Ski with Mr. Magee
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week (Jasper John Dooley, #1)
  • The Chicken Squad: The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad, #1)
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny
  • Like Carrot Juice on a Cupcake (Eleanor, #3)
Kate DiCamillo, the newly named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature for 2014–2015, says about stories, “When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” Born in Philadelphia, the author lives in Minneapolis, where she faithfully writes two pages a day, five days a week.

Kate DiCamillo's own journey is something of a dream come true. After
More about Kate DiCamillo...

Mercy Watson (6 books)
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride (Mercy Watson #2)
  • Mercy Watson Fights Crime (Mercy Watson #3)
  • Mercy Watson: Princess in Disguise (Mercy Watson #4)
  • Mercy Watson: Something Wonky This Way Comes (Mercy Watson #6)