Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig

Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig (Mercy Watson #5)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  863 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Can Mercy Watson outwit . . . Animal Control? The porcine wonder’s on the lam in her latest tongue-in-snout adventure!

Eugenia and Baby Lincoln may live next door to a pig, but that doesn’t stop them from living a gracious life. And the amiable Mercy Watson is equally determined to follow the delightful scent (and delicious taste) of the pansies her thoughtful neighbors are...more
Published February 8th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published June 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig

Nancy St. Clair
Jun 16, 2011 Nancy St. Clair rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: transitioning readers
Of course, since Ms. Kate DiCamillo is one my favorite authors, it is of most importance that I read everything that she writes. And the Mercy Watson series is as delightful and fun to read as any of her other books.

Although some of the characters, Mercy, a pig who loves buttered toast, and situations, a pig sipping lemonade while relaxing in a chaise lounge on a patio, seem to be quite silly and unreal, Mercy Watson proves herself to be a pig worth knowing even if she continually drives Eugen

Cheryl in CC NV
I can see how beginning readers would get a kick out of this funny series. I've not read the first - but I suspect that's the best. Don't read if you like buttered toast and are trying to eat healthfully.
The Mercy Watson books are so much fun for early readers!
Amy
I really like these Mercy Watson books, and this one is no exception. The characters are just so fun and so well developed! They each have personalities and presence, and I love doing voices for these characters. The fullness with which they are written really inspires a reader to have fun with bringing them to life.

The kids really enjoyed this story, the humor, and the bright, fun illustrations. Excellent read-aloud book, sure to keep kids happy.
Laurie
Snorkle
I absolutely adore Mercy Watson, she is such a lovable, quirky pig. The things that she gets into are always a riot and this book is no exception. Though I didn't like this book as much as the others in the series, I still thought that the illustrations were hilarious and the book was very cute. I'd definitely recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Mandy Hoffman
This is the adorable tale of Mercy the pig who the events that follow her pansy eating from the neighbors garden. While the books is broken into chapters it still can be easily read in one sittng. The hilarious story and funny illustrations make it fun to read and fun to listen to.
Amy
Mercy Watson thinks Like a Pig is a comedy of errors. When Mercy eats the newly planted flowers by the Lincoln sisters, what will happen when they find out?

I enjoyed all of the Mercy Watson series, as did my just turned 7 year old daughter. I liked DiCamillo's witty story and the illustrations that further bring it to life. I highly recommend reading the stories in order as the characters from the earlier books are used throughout the series.

My daughter enjoys reading these books to herself and...more
Liza
DiCamillo, K. (2008). Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig. Massachusetts: Candlewick Press.
Gr. K-3. Mercy Watson loves to eat flowers. The neighbors flowers are so yummy, but she gets in trouble and runs of to escape the wrath of Eugenia Lincoln. That’s when Animal Control Officer Francine Poulet gets involved, and Mercy is running for her freedom!
Curriculum: This is a good beginner reader book. The vocabulary is easy to read and the chapters are short. This would be a good book to introduce the Anim...more
Mercy Watson is back and this time she's actually done something wrong as opposed to just stumbling into trouble! Eugenia Lincoln has decided that living next to a pig is no reason to not live a gracious life as exemplified by brand-new pansies planted around the house. Unfortunately, Mercy's nose detects the new flowers and, while they don't compare to hot buttered toast, Mercy decides they're tasty enough to do. When Eugenia discovers Mercy's destruction, Animal Control Officer Francine Poulet...more
Leonard
This is one in a series of children's books about Mercy Watson, a pig who gets into trouble but usually, without trying, ends up being a hero and saving the day. Mercy is referred to as a "porcine wonder," by her family of humans. These books are entertaining and fun for children and adults who love reading to children.
Nicola Mansfield
Mercy is in a lot of trouble this time when she ventures over to the Lincoln sister's yard and starts to eat the pansies that Eugenia has just planted. Well, Eugenia has finally had it and calls the Animal Control Officer to come collect this menace of pig. Another cute story that had a few really funny moments but didn't make it as one of our favourites. Though we really did enjoy Eugenia finally blowing her top big time. The other books seemed to lead us to thinking that one day she would just...more
Julie
I love Kate DiCamillo all the way to the very far reaches of my heart.

That's why I use her as my go-to read-aloud choice when I'm the storytime reader in my daughters' first grade class. I've read three other Mercy Watson books as the storytime reader. The kids went nuts for them, and now I've got a bit of a reputation when I arrive to read. This one, for the kids and for me, didn't have quite the same magic.

Mercy is as memorable as always, Francine Poulet is a hilarious new character, and Eugen...more
Colleen Mertens
The fifth installment in the Mercy Watson series. These books are very cute books for a beginning reader. This one introduces an animal control officer who isn't the most observant character. Very funny story.
Kendra
What a mischievous piggy! LOVE the story and all of the characters! The girls LOVE these books!
Kellie
Mercy Watson has found something delicious to eat and it is not hot buttered toast. Mercy has found Eugenia Lincoln's freshly planted pansies and Eugenia is not pleased. Animal Control is called and the officer, Poulet is trying to think like a pig. Meanwhile Mercy has been invited to a tea party that has not food! Not to worry there will be a hot buttered toast celebration at the end.

Great for beginning chapter book readers and for reading out loud (my mom and cat loved it) with large printing...more
Cassie
A book review from my 9 year old daughter who has been reading Mercy books since they first came out and even though they are under her grade level now, she still wants to read them to see what Mercy is up to: Mercy Watson is a very cool pig. I love how in every book they end with eating buttered toast. There is always a mystery like in the one I just read, Think like a pig, they wondered who ate the flowers. Mercy is a pig, so what do you think happened? I definitely recommend this book for kid...more
Liz Todd
These books are so much fun. Every one of them is a blast to read.
Books Kids Like
Eugenia Lincoln calls the animal control officer after Mercy eats all of her pansies.
Erin
Bree loves these silly little stories. Great books for transitioning to chapters.
Megan D. Neal
Ah, Mercy Watson, how my children love thee!

All the Mercy Watson books are perennial favorites around our house and get re-read every few months by both my older girls (ages 6 and 7). This is one series that they can both read themselves, and they are delighted to read them aloud to their little sister. Literarily, the stories are pretty fluffy, but my girls bask in the marshmallowy yumminess. And the pictures, with their fifties retro feel, add greatly to the fun.
Marc Lucke
Unlike most early-reader books, this one actually made me laugh out loud. Mercy's insouciant pigness defies everyone's attempts to re-invent her as some sort of porcine wonder: she remains -- gloriously -- just a pig, and there's great humour in watching others project consciousness onto her as she snuffles around, driven entirely by her appetites.

The whole series is great, but this is my favourite!
Shelby Pfleiger
These fun books follow the Watson family and their child-like pet, Mercy. This series of books has been such an amazing resource to challenge my bright students. My above level soaring kindergarten readers have loved getting to experience a "chapter book" for reading homework. I have developed a simple comprehension packet that asks students to respond to 2-3 literal questions from each chapter.
Rachel Jessen
Margaret has a new favorite character. We seem to be on a 'pig' theme.
Mercy is a very funny pig, and so are her owners, Mr. and Mrs. Watson. DeCamillo was kind has has written several of these, so Margaret has plenty to work on. These are just a tad hard for her, so it's a good exercise. Love our new library branch--the ladies there always have good recommendations.
Olivia
Cute books my mom wanted me to read when I was younger. Great for kids
babyhippoface
When Mercy eats all of Eugenia Lincoln's freshly-planted pansies, an enraged Eugenia calls Animal Control to come take the pig away. Animal Control Officer Francine Poulet responds with enthusiasm, but finds the task more difficult than she anticipated. Quirky and comical in the tradition of the previous Mercy Watson books, this one is sure to please series fans.
Dolly
Feb 23, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, humor, pets
This is another silly book in the Mercy Watson series. After Mercy eats the neighbors' flowers, they call the Animal Control Officer to report her. It's a fairly simple story, but written with humor and funny, expressive illustrations. And of course everyone has some nice, hot, buttered toast. The end.
Luann
Mercy Watson is the cutest pig in literature since Wilbur! Chris Van Dusen’s illustrations are colorful and shiny. I love his human characters - especially the expressions on their faces and their body shapes. Mercy Watson books are just like potato chips! You can’t read just one, you must read them all!
Evan
I liked the part when she almost got captured. Mercy likes to eat toast. Eugenia Lincoln was mean to her because Mercy ate the flowers. So Animal Control Officer Francie Poulet came after her.

Mercy Watson was the main character. The setting was outside and inside. It was in the backyard.
Vivian
Love, love, love the Mercy Watson books! Adults are going to enjoy these as much as their children. They are the perfect transition from Easy Reader to chapter books -- large print, full color illustrations, and great stories. I recommend them all the time.

• In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • Read-Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!
  • Emily The Emerald Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Jewel Fairies, #3)
  • Two Times the Fun
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero (Stink, #5)
  • A Mouse Called Wolf
  • Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea? (Ivy and Bean, #7)
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way!
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • Mrs. Noodlekugel
Kate DiCamillo, the newly named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature for 2014–2015, says about stories, “When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” Born in Philadelphia, the author lives in Minneapolis, where she faithfully writes two pages a day, five days a week.

Kate DiCamillo's own journey is something of a dream come true. After...more
More about Kate DiCamillo...
Because of Winn-Dixie The Tale of Despereaux The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures The Magician's Elephant