Start by marking “Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air” as Want to Read:
Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air

Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air

Published April 12th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published April 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Unknown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Unknown

Edward Sullivan
May 02, 2011 Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Absolutely stunning! The engaging, informative text chronicles exciting adventures by daring explorers. Biesty's huge, fold out, cutaway cross section illustrations are remarkably detailed. A handsomely designed visual experience.
Dawn
Aug 03, 2011 Dawn rated it really liked it
Drystan - I thought it was great. I would give it 5 stars. My favourite story was about the Appollo 11 moon landing. I liked this best because I can't imagine building a straight, big rocket that would reach the moon. I thought that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin achieved their dream by travelling to the moon. I'd like to go to the moon too.

Dylan - My favourite story was the mission to the bottom of the sea. I liked this one best because I would like to do this myself. I would like to learn abou
Mary Ann
May 02, 2011 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing
As a child, I was fascinated by how early explorers sailed the oceans to new lands, pushing the limits of their knowledge. I remember learning about how Magellan's fleet circumnavigated to world - it was just captivating to learn about, and yet seemed so hard to imagine. Oh, if I only had been able to read Into the Unknown by Stewart Ross and Stephen Biesty - still, as an adult, I've poured over this book for hours and hours. If your child is fascinated by history, travel, exploration, maps or ...more
Mary Beth
I gifted myself and my family with this book(thanks Mom and Pop for the birthday giftcard!). It is the sort of book that encourages the reader to leap off into for an immersive journey, investigating the vehicles and technology of historical explorations from all over the world, throughout time. It is not a comprehensive book, but selects journeys that typify the technology of a given time period. The artwork is detailed and amazing to explore, with so many details and "easter eggs" that ...more
Suburban Homeschooler
Loved the cutaway drawings of the various vessels used to explore over time.
Brenda
Aug 15, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it
I found Into The Unknown to be a fascinating, detailed book about world explorers throughout history. I learned lots about people, places and modes of transportation. An added bonus was that this book had fold-out maps and diagrams that went along with each explorer. The maps clearly showed where each person went and
the diagrams gave detailed information about vehicles used. I thought the authors did a good job of highlighting significant explorers throughout history. While the Wright brothers w
Becky B
Nov 02, 2014 Becky B rated it really liked it
Into the Unknown takes readers on a survey of explorers throughout history, looks at their journeys, and investigates their various methods of travel. The book starts with a little known expedition from Greece to the Arctic Circle in 340B.C. and ends with Armstrong and Aldrin landing on the moon. Each chapter includes a multipage fold-out with detailed maps of the journeys and cross-sections of the vessels used for transportation.

This is a spectacular resource for classes studying exploration,
Stuart
Aug 27, 2014 Stuart rated it really liked it
Into the Unknown is an elaborately illustrated children's book, which chronicles fourteen famous journeys in history. The book begins in 340 B.C. with Pytheas the Greek sailing to the Arctic Circle and concludes with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landing on the moon in 1969. Several other famous journeys detailed in this book are Leif Eriksson's, Marco Polo's, Christopher Columbus', and Edmund Hilary's. In addition to receiving a summary of the journey and illustrations on every page, one ...more
Scott Volz
Apr 08, 2012 Scott Volz rated it really liked it
Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air chronologically profiles the journeys of 14 explorers--from the Greek Pytheas’ sailing into the Arctic in 340 BC to the 1969 Moon landing.

The book shines in its balance of content and presentation. Aimed at the late elementary to early middle-grade reader, each chapter (ranging from 4-10 pages in length) gives some background about the explorer/event before focusing on an overview of the journeys--often discussing elemen
Joan
Mar 18, 2012 Joan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like to explore, history lovers
Ross teamed up with Biesty (Incredible Cross-Sections) to do accounts of 14 of the greatest explorations of humanity. Both the text and the fold out illustrations as well as regular illustrations are magnificent, sure to send any mechanical minded child into an intense read amid dreams of incredible adventures. While the illustrations are the big draw, the text is really well done as well. Ross explains why the earliest explorations were so remarkable. The focus on how the various pieces of ...more
Shazzer
Jan 17, 2012 Shazzer rated it really liked it
As posted on Outside of a Dog:

The first thing to say about Stewart Ross' Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air must be said. This book is cool. Like, super-duper cool. If I can just get kids, especially boys, to open the book, I know I'll have them hooked. Into the Unknown tells the tale of fourteen great explorations and the great men and women who undertook them. Each section is rich in historical facts and modern context, and makes for interesting reading
Kelsey
Age: 8-12
Art: cross-sections, foldouts

Starting in 340 BC with Pytheas the Greek and ending in 1969 with the Apollo 11 moon landing, Ross and illustrator Stephen Bietsy fill this exemplary nonfiction book with intriguing facts and near peril. "These journeys of exploration are not necessarily the most important in terms of what they found, but each one is extraordinary for the way it was made."

Somewhat as an explorer himself, Ross has traveled all over the world to teach history, giving him acute
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I really enjoyed this book. Ross describes the explorations of land, sea, and air by over a dozen different men and women throughout history. Each chapter is accompanied by a fold-out diagram or map and Stephen Biesty's wonderful cross-sections and detailed illustrations. I've always loved to read about explorers, but I have to admit I'd never heard of Pythias or the Piccards, so I learned something here. In fact, my favorite chapter was on the Piccards, father and son. Auguste, the father, ...more
Ari Feinsmith
Mar 10, 2016 Ari Feinsmith rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book. I learned a lot about history and the great things humanity has accomplished. I learned some interesting facts. For example, the Chinese once had the largest treasure fleet in the world, with over 310 ships. They also built massive ships called Super-Junks, that were the largest wooden ships to ever sail the sea. This book has great illustrations and gave me a very good understanding of past inventions worked. It told stories of exploring the new world, climbing ...more
marin
Dec 03, 2012 marin rated it liked it
market research

broken into 14 remarkable voyages which make it a stretch for a school report since the info isn't necessarily longer than in-depth encyclopedia entry. unfolding cross-sections (surprised the library bought it for this reason), high quality color. pretty text heavy considering explorers tend to be of interest to 5th and 6th graders. small font. good overall format, oversized but smaller than a pic book. <100 pages. limited number of sidebars. index, glossary, print sources.

cand
Mattathias Westwood
An engaging nonfiction work with fascinating fold outs-- one thing I noticed partway through is that the pages are also made to mimic the types of paper (or parchment) that might have been used by the explorers covered-- care is taken to include groundbreaking explorations of several kinds. One theme that appeared is that the "first discoverer" often did so by chance or built on the significant work of others.
Jean Haberman
Jun 07, 2013 Jean Haberman rated it really liked it
This was a "Camp-Read-a-Lot" book. There is a two or three page spread and a "fold out" about fourteen amazing explorers covering a time period from 340 BC through the moon landing in 1969. It gives a good overview of the history of exploration. Readers would love to pour over the fold-out pictures of the ships with all the minute details. It is definitely a "must" purchase for the elementary library.

Shoshana
Sep 03, 2011 Shoshana rated it really liked it
This is the way to do kids' nonfiction! It's visual, it's tactile, it lets kids come along on the origin stories of things they've always known, and it manages to juxtapose Pytheas with Neil Armstrong. My only quibble is that I would've liked to see more attention paid to the natives of the places being explored. But the book is far from ethnocentric; it includes explorers from varied parts of the world and never claims that the "discovered" places were actually new.
Teresa
Aug 01, 2011 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Fabulous and informative. Worth owning so you can pore over it at random. Love how it includes eras, areas (space, undersea) besides the "usual suspects" and has lots of fascinating details like how a ship's poor design could impact the success of an explorer. For geography, history and science buffs alike. Of course, Biesty's amazing-as-usual detailed drawings hold a whole book's worth of info--here they are smaller-than-trim-sized, multifold booklets.
AnnieM
Mar 18, 2012 AnnieM rated it it was amazing
This book was too much fun. Explorers' stories told perfectly. The illustrations show specifics pieces that had to happen or exist so that people could travel or explore. This is every kid's dream to experience and every librarian's nightmare.

Still I feel it's worth a gamble for such a genius book.
Kyla Hyden
Dec 10, 2011 Kyla Hyden rated it it was amazing
This is a rich nonfiction text that I would like to have in my classroom. It includes fourteen adventures form history. Each journey that is discussed in the book has fold-out maps and diagrams to help the reader understand more details about the historical events. This is an exciting book that students would enjoy reading.
Bonny
Jun 22, 2012 Bonny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, childrens
Outstanding book for children. Illustrations are amazing. If I would have had this book as a child, I would have carefully cut out all the posters and put them up all over my room. This book is fascinating, engaging, and interesting. I highly recommend to those with an interest in art, geography, history, and science for kids.
Allie
Apr 07, 2013 Allie rated it really liked it
I will totally read anything with a Stephen Biesty cross-section. This had a huge variety of things in cross section, and more kinds of explorations than I suspected. To me the most incredible of all the voyages were the 15th century Chinese treasure ships. Totally bad ass.
Duane
May 21, 2011 Duane rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to add to your youth non fiction collection. The illustrations are amazing and it's chock full of resource information. From Viking discoverys to the landing on the moon, this book takes important discovery events and showcases them with rich text and intricate illustrations. As a bonus each chapter has a fold out diagrams that are super. A wonderful book to relax to.
Louise Bendall
Jul 19, 2012 Louise Bendall rated it really liked it
Fascinating and brief history of explorers and their adventures. I particularly enjoyed reading about Mary Kingsley and how she fearlessly explored the west coast of Africa alone in 1895, also how the father/son team Auguste & Jacques Piccard explored the stratosphere in the 1930s and then used that same technology to build a deep-sea craft.
Tina Smith
May 14, 2016 Tina Smith marked it as to-read
I have only skimmed this but it looks fantastic! It is full of pull out maps and illustrated informational pull outs. Lots of great pictures, and interesting stories. This looks like a fabulous reference book that I need to own!
Thomas
Apr 08, 2016 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Into the Unknown is an elaborately illustrated children's book, which chronicles fourteen famous journeys in history. This book is so hard to put into words it is AMAZING. It has so much detail and information with fold outs and maps for each epic journey. I just cant recommend this book enough.
Heather
Dec 05, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
So interesting and very well done. I loved the explanations, but also the fold out bits, complete with maps and processes and vessel cross-sections. It may be a bit long for some, but if a reader even reads just one of the explorations covered in this book, they will be enriched.
Amy
Feb 01, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
I learned stuff! While most of these stories are for familiar explorers (Columbus, Apollo 11, Leif Erikkson), the authors do a great job of exploring the ins and outs and whys of each journey. Each vignette gets its own fold out showing Stephen Biesty's amazing cross-section drawings.
Tom Menke
was informative as only a reminder that history is written by people and not always true
I wouldnt read it again there are many more comprehensive books on exploration and the truth of why it was done.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Fields of Fury
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • The Bicycle Man
  • 1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving
  • Blizzard of Glass: The Halifax Explosion of 1917
  • Music Was It: Young Leonard Bernstein
  • Bootleg: Murder, Moonshine, and the Lawless Years of Prohibition
  • The Elephant Scientist (Scientist in the Field Series)
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11
  • Trapped
  • The Great Migration: Journey to the North
Stewart Ross has written more than 270 titles, fiction and non-fiction, for children and adults. Many are about (or inspired by) history. He lives in Canterbury, England.
More about Stewart Ross...