Start by marking “The October Country” as Want to Read:
The October Country

The October Country

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  9,277 Ratings  ·  559 Reviews
Ray Bradbury's second short story collection is back in print, its chilling encounters with funhouse mirrors, parasitic accident-watchers, and strange poker chips intact. Both sides of Bradbury's vaunted childhood nostalgia are also on display, in the celebratory "Uncle Einar," and haunting "The Lake," the latter a fine elegy to childhood loss. This edition features a new ...more
Published September 7th 1999 by William Morrow (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The October Country, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cheryl
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Lyn
Sep 30, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the reading of Bradbury on a crisp, autumn morning … sounds like October.

The October Country is a collection of short stories by the Grandmaster writer Ray Bradbury.

Eschewing any connection to science fiction, this group of purely fantasy tales resounds with Bradbury’s fascination with and brilliant creativity in the realms of the occult, macabre and the dark.

Bradbury begins the book with this explanation: “The October Country … that country where it is always turning late in the year.
Shawn
One of the first books I ever read, and one of the reasons I still read. I found some of the other reviews dismaying (poor dialogue? silly concepts? antique writing style? - has the world and the people in it really changed that much? Have people lost their hearts? Perhaps, they've just never read "The Smile" by Bradbury, not included in this collection).

Granted, Bradbury's style does take some getting used to - the man is emotionally honest and as people everywhere become more emotionally guard
Char
Finally! Finally, I've read this classic collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury. I'm so glad that I did.

What can I say about this that hasn' t already been said? It's beautifully written. Some of the stories were so haunting, I know that they will stick with me for the rest of my life: Ones like "The Scythe" and "The Dwarf", "Jack in the Box" and "Homecoming."

Bradbury's style is sparse; he packs a lot of meaning into very few words. His prose is so beautiful that, at times, the reader has
Apatt
Oct 02, 2016 Apatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am quite useless at reviewing an anthologies so please bear with me. How do you go about reviewing these things any way? Story by story? Sounds like a chore. I'll just muddle through as usual then!

The October Country is a collection of Ray Bradbury's macabre stories, I hesitate to label them as "horror stories" because they are not particularly horrifying, but they are mostly odd and unsettling, almost "new weird" but disqualified on the "new" part! The iIllustrations by Joe Mugnaini (a few ar
Nolan  Foxworth
Arghh.. rating short stories shouldn't feel like brain surgery and yet my brain is doing a decent deceptive job at making it seem that way. Like no wonder Dan has a bookshelf called I hate short stories. Yup, did some snooping around and now I'm totally stalking your shelves man. Take it as a compliment of the highest order. You can bill me later for the intrusion.

There's 19 of these suckers so I'll try to make this quick and painless.

The Dwarf: It kicked off things in good ol' weird fashion
Maciek
October Country...that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and midnights stay. That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain...

Fall is probably my
Algernon
Nov 04, 2014 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014

... that country were it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilight linger, and midnights stay. The country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal-bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain ...

The introduction suggests this one's
Kimberly
Oct 20, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid writing with some great atmospheric tension! As always in collections, some stories stand out for me more than others. I doubt that I will forget the lingering, oppressive feelings of "Jack-in-the-Box" anytime soon. Another that keeps coming to mind was The Dwarf. I can say that there are some stories that will "click" with almost everyone out there--something to suit everyone's tastes.

Highly recommended!
Paul Bryant
Dec 26, 2013 Paul Bryant rated it really liked it
Anyone reading my review of Something Wicked this way Comes might possibly get the idea that I don't think Ray Bradbury is the godlike genius I used to think he was. Well, I don't. But I was like this stupid kid, I hadn't read anything, and stumbling into RB's world was my 13 year old version of Alice falling down the rabbit hole. Suddenly - Light! Colour! Weirdness! Mars!
He did sentimentality - everyone knows that, buckets of the stuff - but he also did gruesome and freaky. The October Countr
Obsidian
Sep 11, 2016 Obsidian rated it really liked it
All in all I enjoyed this collection. Some stories didn't hit the mark with me though. I ended up giving it four stars because the illustrations that are in here pushed the book to a different level.

"The Dwarf" (3 stars)- I liked it okay, but was actually disappointed in the ending. I thought Bradbury was going one way with the story and it kind of fizzled for me.

"The Next in Line" (5 stars)- Loved it from beginning to end. This story of a married couple visiting a small town and the terror the
Quentin Wallace
Oct 15, 2015 Quentin Wallace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been hearing about this book for years, and finally got around to reading it. I hate to start negatively, but I was slightly disappointed. Now, that's not saying it wasn't good, as it was a four star book. But I think my expectations were so high I was wanting too much out of this one.

Calling attention to a few stories:

SKELETON: This was an interesting horror tale, and I'm fairly sure I read an EC comic adaptation.

THE JAR: One of the better stories in the collection.

THE LAKE: Eerie and a
Adam Light
I've been dipping into this exquisite short story collection for quite some time now, and it is with great ambivalence that I have, at long last, finished reading it. I have paced myself, savored each story, chewing thoroughly every delectable word, sentence, and paragraph. I have supped well and gained much nourishment from Mr. Bradbury's inimitable prose. Though I am happy that I have finally read all of the stories in The October Country, I only wish there were but one more left to consume. ...more
Maxine Marsh

Easily a 5* collection. Something for every horror fan: the gritty truth of life and death, the seedy underbelly of a small Mexican town, the wistfulness of the macabre, evil babies, mystery sideshow jars...A light hand in writing and plotting with such creativity that I wondered how Bradbury even came up with this stuff.
Cody
Oct 07, 2016 Cody rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I received this book as a Christmas gift from my sister, and I've finally read it! Before now the only Ray Bradbury works I'd read were Fahrenheit 451 (read it in high school — it was assigned reading, and I felt pretty MEH about Bradbury's futuristic tale of censorship and loss of identity) and Something Wicked This Way Comes (another MEH one for me). I'd heard Bradbury's short stories were ace, so I decided to go for the collection that seemed to have the best reviews on Amazon — that ...more
Kayıp Rıhtım
Bradbury, insan unsuru üzerine eğilir; yaşayış biçimi, davranışları ve düşünce sistemi üstünde durur. Amacı bize düşündürmek ve sorgulatmaktır. İnsanı başa koyar; ırkçılığı eleştirir, insanın kendisini eleştirir, sistemi eleştirir, eşitliği ve insan haklarını savunur.

Sonbahar Ülkesi’ndeki öykülerde de bu tutumundan vazgeçmiş değil. Bu öykülerdeki farklılık, bizim düşünüş ve yaşayış biçimlerimizden ziyade duygularımıza eğilmiş olması. Bradbury’nin bu öykülerdeki amacı hissettirmek. Öyküleri okurk
Chloe
It is no secret that science fiction tickles my fancy like nothing else. I've penned dozens of reviews by now declaiming the same thing. Yet for all of my heartfelt ardor for the genre as a whole, I have never been a big fan of Golden Age science fiction. By Golden Age I mean those authors writing either before or during the initial space race, authors whose imaginations were set racing by the vision of Sputnik orbiting overhead and whose Eisenhower minds drew long gleaming phallus-looking ...more
Lee Foust
Dec 07, 2013 Lee Foust rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The October Country is, I believe, the earliest Bradbury story collection. Well, it's a bit long for what it is, and not all of the tales are terrific, but it has led me enjoyably down the shadowy path, once again, of Ray Bradbury's precious imagination, which is, for me, the best aspect of picking up one of his books. It's not the ideas but the moods that get me, not the plots of the stories, but rather the details, the similes, certain familiar social situations suddenly set in eldritch precin ...more
Becky
Jan 20, 2016 Becky rated it it was ok
Perhaps it was my fault- I was love-drunk with Something Wicked This Way Comes, and I wanted the same amount of emotional and seasonal precision that I experienced with that book... and I didn't get it. I wanted skittering leaves and brittle pages, I wanted what I was reading to match the feel in the air, I wanted it to be perfectly time in its writing, in my life, in the year, and that is too much to ask from any book. It can only occur by happenstance.

The first page description of the October
Ismael Galvan
I'm a big Bradbury fan but this collection was a bit of a let down. I even went into this book with high expectations for stories on par with The Illustrated Man. It's not that the stories were bad; the majority of stories were average. They lacked the philosophical impact that Bradbury masters in his later years, and so they built up like a potentially funny joke deflated by a weak punchline.

What saved this book for me were a couple of stand out stories that put literary-static electricity on t
Sesana
Sep 09, 2014 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I may or may not have read this once before. Some of the stories were familiar. The first story, The Dwarf, was so intensely familiar I almost felt I could recite parts of it from memory. But others felt new to me. Probably I've just encountered many of these stories in other collections. And why not? They're each of them quite good, at least.

While all of the stories are at least good, and a few are great, this still isn't my favorite selection of Bradbury stories. But you won't do wrong here, b
I SNIFF BOOKS - Beth
[This is a 3.5 rating]As with any collection of short stories, everyone is going to have his or her own favorites, along with some that just didn't strike his or her fancy. My most favorite story in the collection was Skeleton -- it was spectacular, quite possibly perfect. I also very much enjoyed The Crowd, The Cistern, and Homecoming -- all fantastic. And let's not forget The Dwarf, Next in Line, and The Emissary.

But there were a handful of stories I just wasn't crazy about: The Jar, Touched w
David
Oct 22, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, favorites
Many years ago, when my reading tastes were first being formulated, there were two authors that I really connected to: Agatha Christie and Ray Bradbury. These were the first authors I read that felt like "mine". I read everything by them I could get my greasy little hands on.

Although I loved everything Bradbury wrote, two books stood head and shoulders above the rest: Dandelion Wine (still my all-time favorite) and this collection of short stories, The October Country. I have read it so many tim
M. Özgür
Apr 08, 2016 M. Özgür rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Strömquist
Wonderful collection of Bradbury short story gold. This represents his best writing and there is really not much more to be said about that. Read, re-read, read loud.
Davut Cikrikci
Oct 06, 2016 Davut Cikrikci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her hikayenin ölümle bittiği bu kitap okuduktan sonra ölümü sıradanlaştırmayı başaran bir eser olmuş. Başlarda biraz sıkılsam da sonlara doğru zevkle okudum. Çok iyi film senaryosu olabilecek hikayelerle dolu olduğunu düşündüm. Yazarın / çevirmenin dili oldukça sade ve akıcı. Sırada Mars Yıllıkları var. Bakalım o da bunun gibi bir etki bırakacak mı?
Raúl Omar
Aug 24, 2016 Raúl Omar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book is an awesome collection of horror stories. I was reluctant to read horror stories until now. I have to confess that it was a hard reading when I started, truth be told, I didn't know what to expect. After a couple of stories I got used to the style and rhythm. As usual, Bradbury has a beautiful narrative, full of figures, metaphor and symbolism. His poetic prose makes this to be quite an interesting set of horror tales. At first I thought this was Bradbury's weirdest thing I had ever ...more
Werner
May 27, 2008 Werner rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of macabre, scary, or just plain unusual stories
I'd started reading this book several years ago, in the library at another college, while I was attending a library convention, and I've just now gotten around to finishing it. At his best, Bradbury is a master of short fiction; his output in that form ranges across the genres, from the speculative realms of science and supernatural fiction to the everyday world of descriptive fiction. But the unifying thread in all of it is a flamboyant imagination, by turns whimsical or chilling, that can ...more
Melanti
Nov 04, 2014 Melanti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, anthology, horror, 2014
This is a collection of many of Bradbury's horror/Halloween themed short stories. They're a bit more gruesome that his usual fare, but given the theme, that's understandable.

I'm a big Bradbury fan and am slowly working my way through a big stockpile I purchased last summer. And despite reading a lot of his work, all but one of these were totally new to me - which is sort of unusual since he did reprint upon reprint upon reprint. And they'll probably be new to most people unless they've read Dar
Gary
Jun 20, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing
Ray Bradbury. He captured in words the longings that always young hearts feel. A stylist, he produced a language that, once learned, is never forgotten and always recognized. In this collection of a few of his short stories, some are Literature, and his genius is only unrecognized beyond our small corner of science fiction and fantasy because the outside world hasn't met him yet. His magic, when they finally do meet him, will open their minds and hearts to his true magnificent talents. Some of ...more
The best of Bradbury!! 2 33 Mar 17, 2014 01:29PM
  • The Dark Country
  • American Fantastic Tales: Terror and the Uncanny from Poe to the Pulps
  • Fancies and Goodnights
  • Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...

“The minute you get a religion you stop thinking. Believe in one thing too much and you have no room for new ideas.” 296 likes
“Beer's intellectual. What a shame so many idiots drink it.” 79 likes