Start by marking “The Waxman Murders (Hugh Corbett, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Waxman Murders (Hugh Corbett, #15)

The Waxman Murders (Hugh Corbett #15)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  278 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
In 1300, an English privateer named 'The Wax-Men' was trapped and overrun by two powerful war cogs flying the streamers of the powerful Hanseatic League of North Germany. The ship was carrying a casket containing the 'Carta Mysteriosa', a collection of valuable and detailed maps and sea charts. The rulers of Europe, not to mention their merchant princes, would wade through ...more
Published December 4th 2006 by Headline (first published December 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Waxman Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Waxman Murders

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
I'm still reading the medieval mystery series starring Hugh Corbett, although I'm almost up to date, woohoo!!! This is the 15th in the series and was another great medieval 'whodunnit', published in 2007.

This time the historical fiction was set in 1300 - 1303 and the plot involved the legend of a buried treasure, pirates as well as numerous murders and assassinations.

The regular characters were all in attendance; Sir Hugh Corbett, Ranulf and Chanson, and as usual the plot kept me guessing until
Jaci
Mar 14, 2011 Jaci rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A series of murders concerning ownership of mysterious seacharts is investigated by Sir Hugh Corbett. He finds out "whodunit" but never finds the maps. Not sure if I cared one way or the other by the time I'd finished.
Donna
Dec 31, 2010 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: similar to Roger the Chapman series
Good, but a bit confusing (too many characters with similar names). Early 14th century England is not one I know much about, and this series helps fill in the knowledge gaps.
K.B. Hallman
I almost didn't finish this one. I really enjoyed the other book I read in the Hugh Corbett series, so I muscled on. But this felt as though Doherty were floundering.
Papalodge
The usual storyline is becoming annoying.
Repeating the clues time and again with few new discoveries added - ends in redundancy.
Dominic McLoughlin
I really enjoyed another tale of political intrigue and murder in the England of the early 14th century!
Lynda Wilcox
Sep 27, 2011 Lynda Wilcox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Paul Doherty's work and this was well up to scratch.
Richard
Jan 11, 2011 Richard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History buffs; those who like Medieval times, mysteries, English novels.
Recommended to Richard by: I read all Mr. Doherty's work.
Although set in the early 1300's at Canterbury, England this mystery has it all: a missing treasure map; locked room murders; invisible cross bow shooters; threatening messages, including a withered hand; disappearing servants; and all the pageantry and mess of daily life in a large city with no plumbing and very little law enforcement. Of course, what justice there was is swift and brutal.

It is a compelling story to see if the King's Keeper of the Secret Seal of Edward I can untwist all these c
henrys-axe
Jun 25, 2015 henrys-axe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
High sea piracy, treachery, buried treasure, murder and revenge are all part of this fifteenth novel the series. Sir Hugh Corbett, his long time clerk Ranulf and groomsman Chanson journey to Canterbury at the command of their monarch to investigate the murder of the wealthy merchant, Sir Rauf.
Kirsten
May 16, 2015 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could divide my rating in half, I'd say the 1st half was 3 stars and the 2nd was 5 stars. It took a while to bring the story together and make it interesting. It was like he forgot what he was doing for a few chapters.
Kathleen L Donnelly
Doherty at his best yet again. This author never disappoints with his medieval ( no pun intended) intricacies and fully fleshed characters.

In this outing, Hugh Corbett, the Kong's man has several puzzles to solve, each more perplexing than the next. There's a treasure map (history buffs will recognize a connection with recent discoveries.), a damsel in apparent distress, spies, piracy and enough murder to make everyone nervous. I found this to be a satisfying journey through history and mystery.
Alain
En 1303 le roi d'Angleterre a envoy? son plus fid?le ?missaire, Sir Hugh Corbett, ? Cantorbery pour r?cup?rer la carte d'un fabuleux tr?sor. Le roi aurait bien besoin de ce tr?sor pour financer ses guerres. A peine arriv? sur place, Corbett ne tombera pas sur la carte mais sur une suite d'assassinats dont il devra trouver la raison s'il ne veut pas finir, lui aussi, de violente fa?on.
Un livre distrayant pour qui aime les atmosph?res du Moyen-Age.
Stephanie
Pretty good mystery. Sometimes the writing feels stilted; not much variation in rhythm, which is hard for me as a reader. The time period is fascinating, and the murder mystery is so cleverly drawn that I didn't mind the narration after a while. It is quite bloody, so if you're looking for a gentle read, this is not it.
John Lee
Aug 23, 2010 John Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first taste of a Hugh Corbett tale and I enjoyed it. Tried to find the first in the series ( this is 15) but the first few are unobtainable in my county library.
Willa Grant
Dec 21, 2011 Willa Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this & it's my favorite of the Hugh Corbett mysteroes so far. This character has grown through out the series & is now really fully fleshed out.
Tracy
Apr 04, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Doherty's writing is up to his usual high standards. I am a "forever' fan of the Hugh Corbett stories. Wonderful reading.
Winnie
Mar 13, 2012 Winnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hugh Corbett strives against all odds yet again to solve another mystery. An exciting read.
Jon Allor
This was a 2nd Hugh Corbett story for me.
Papalodge
Mar 06, 2011 Papalodge is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far not as gripping as previous stories
Nancy
Mar 24, 2011 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
particularly brutal, even for Hugh Corbett tales.
Mary
Mar 14, 2011 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read about a great era.
Jan Fortney
May 31, 2013 Jan Fortney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not into Medieval.
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Kenneth C. Brasel
Kenneth C. Brasel rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Rhonda Pickens
Rhonda Pickens marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Jack Budz
Jack Budz rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Claudio Delzanno
Claudio Delzanno marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
judith ungvary
judith ungvary rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Tyler Evon
Tyler Evon marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
  • The Midsummer Crown (Roger the Chapman #20)
  • A Masterly Murder (Matthew Bartholomew, #6)
  • City of Fiends (Knights Templar, #31)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • The Bone-Pedlar (Sir Richard Straccan, #1)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • Historical Whodunits
  • Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)

He has been published under several pseudonyms: P.C. Doherty, Celia L. Grace, Paul Harding, Ann Dukthas, Vanessa Alexander, Michael Clynes and Anna Apostolou but now writes only under his own name.

Paul Doherty was born in Middlesbrough (North-Eastern England) in 1946. He had
More about Paul Doherty...

Hugh Corbett (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Satan in St Mary's (Hugh Corbett, #1)
  • The Crown in Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #2)
  • Spy in Chancery (Hugh Corbett, #3)
  • The Angel of Death (Hugh Corbett, #4)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • Murder Wears a Cowl (Hugh Corbett, #6)
  • The Assassin in the Greenwood (Hugh Corbett, #7)
  • The Song of a Dark Angel (Hugh Corbett, #8)
  • Satan's Fire (Hugh Corbett, #9)
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)