Facing the Dragon: How a Desperate Act Pulled One Addict Out of Methamphetamine Hell

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  9 reviews
After more than twenty-three years addicted to methamphetamine and otherdrugs, David Parnell put an SKS assault rifle under his chin and pulled the trigger.The blast took off half his face, yet somehow he survived. They called him the 'miracle man' at the Nashville hospital where he'd been pronounced clinically dead. Following an afterlife experience where he briefly exper...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Health Communications (first published November 10th 2010)

Ed
Excellent account of this man's descent into the hell of methamphetamine addiction. Anyone who decides to "experiment" with drugs should read this. Parnell was able to live a relatively normal life early in his meth use, but we see the inevitable result and the tragic result. It's fine to read about drug use from physicians and other "experts," but this is an account of what happens to an addict - from an addict. Every drug abuse counselor should have a copy on his shelf... every parent should r...more
Judy Herzanek
Unbelievable. A true story of desperation, hell, courage, miracles and hope.

Unbelievable. David Parnell has lived a life that most people would never dream of in their worst nightmares. His story of methamphetamine addiction, "unthinkable acts" and ultimate recovery are truly "unbelievable."

"Facing the Dragon" gives the reader a brutally honest, ultra-realistic picture of what life is like for someone completely lost to the world of methamphetamine addiction. David's descriptions are often shock...more
Portable Awesomeness
Thanks!

Great awareness book! $10 is a little spendy! More detail on the family and the relationship afterward would have been more helpful.
Patricia
First of all, thank you David for sending me a copy of your book.

I am still in shock after reading this true life account of drug abuse. I am so happy that David recovered his life and his family. At least he had a second chance to be the husband and father that every family deserves.

This is a powerful book and I learned a lot from reading it. Good Luck to David, Amy, and the children!! May God continue to watch over you and your family.
Glenda
This was such a sad story and I was amazed at how much David had gone through and lived to talk about!! If this doesn't scare you away from trying meth I honestly don't know what would. This would be good reading for kids to show them what their life could be like should they decide to fool around with meth. It was riveting.
Cassandra
This guy seemed like an idiot. Was it the larger -than-normal print in the book? The way he talked? A lot of the time, I couldn't focus on the story because of how bad the writing was.

The story was heartbreaking. But it seemed really watered down with immature language and sentence structure .
Jane Walker
my cousin husband wrote this book about his life and it is great the way they turned their lives around.
Bex
Despite the tale of redemption, it's pretty dark and depressing.
Donna
Review to come.
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Lynette Rambousek
Lynette Rambousek is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 10, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Betty Macy
Betty Macy marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Angie Wheelehan
Angie Wheelehan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Pat Forbes
Pat Forbes marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
jv poore
jv poore marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014