Start by marking “I Spy With My Little Eye” as Want to Read:
I Spy With My Little Eye

I Spy With My Little Eye (Edward Gibbs' I Spy)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,396 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Look through this eye-catching book’s special spy hole to discover a world of animal colors!

Have you ever played the I-spy game? Debut artist Edward Gibbs takes the game to a whole new level in this picture book with spy holes. Peeking through the pages, children will be able to spot a different colored animal every time, and guess what it is using a simple, factual clue.
Published April 12th 2011 by Templar

To ask other readers questions about I Spy With My Little Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Spy With My Little Eye

Jessica
Oct 02, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
I get a lot of board books out of the library for my one-year-old and most of them are just okay; this is the first one that I'm definitely going to buy a copy of for us to keep. The art is ridiculously gorgeous and I know I'll never get tired of looking at these illustrations. My kid's too young to get the guessing game, in which you see an eye through a hole and read a clue before turning the page to reveal the whole animal, but it's a great use of cutaways and of the board book format, and sh ...more
Debrarian
Tonight I read this gorgeous guessing book to two small sisters clad in pajamas. Each page gave a clue: I spy with my little eye...something gray. It has a long trunk... "Elephant!" shouted Zoe, three years old. Anya, only two, hedged until I turned the page to reveal Gibbs' wonderfully creased elephant. "Rhinoceros!" she yelled. We pondered large leathery beasts. The girls' baby curls glowed in the slanty evening sunshine. They hippety-hopped up and down, riveted by the dramatic tension. We tur ...more
Amanda Snow
May 07, 2011 Amanda Snow rated it really liked it
The concept of this one isn't exactly unique--trying to figure out what may be on the page using small clues--but the format of this particular spying book is fantastic. You get a spy hole!

Each page gives a small clue as to what might be hiding on the next page, paired with a spy hole giving a glimpse of the color of the animal. You'll find whales, polar bears, and even an orangutan hiding in the pages!

The illustrations are nice and bright and the pages are large, making it a great storytime rea
Traci Bold
Cute picture book for young readers to introduce them to colors and animals using a peeka boo method.

Written and illustrated by Edward Gibbs. Published by Templar Books.

#PB #concept #colors #animals
Sarah Sammis
Nov 29, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
My daughter has enjoyed reading it a number of times. The eye hole on the back of the book was a nice surprise. It encourages children to continue the game after finishing the book.

Amy
Feb 01, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
I Spy... animals! This book has colors, shapes (a die cut circle cut out is on each page), animals... what more could you want?
Tian Ruan
Title (italicize): I Spy With My Little Eye
Author: Edward Gibbs
Illustrator: Edward Gibbs
Genre: Juvenile literature, board books, picture, toy books
Theme(s): color, animals
Opening line/sentence:
I spy with my little eye…
Something that is blue.
I am the biggest animal in the whole world.
Brief Book Summary:
On each page, there is a small hole that allows children to peek through and guess what it is. There is a simple and factual clue provided each time. In the next page, a very vivid picture of th
Felicia Tidwell taylor
Trying to find clues can be very difficult. But if you use that one good eye you may get lucky. But you have to look very close.
Brooke Snyder
Oct 04, 2014 Brooke Snyder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baker-s-dozen
Summary: Edward Gibbs uses the “I-Spy” game to his advantage in this picture book. He uses spy holes in the pages that peek through to the next page. Each page describes an animal that will appear as you turn the page with a color and a little descriptor about it. Children can guess what animal will appear when they turn the page based on the descriptors.

Personal Response/Critical Response: This book is awesome. Not only can it be used in my classroom but parents can use it too. Children will lo
Aisha Khan
Aug 19, 2013 Aisha Khan rated it really liked it
This book takes inspiration from the popular children’s game ‘I spy ‘ and would be suitable for those in Key Stage One.

The book essentially features a number of different animals participating in the I spy game, with each page featuring a description of the animal and the following page revealing what animal it is. This book is good, as it makes use of the ever popular game to attract the reader’s attention and engage with the children reading it ensuring the educational information is absorbed
Tasha
Mar 09, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Children adore books with holes to peek through. In this book, the frog’s eye on the cover is actually a hole that carries through the book, with the background changing as the page is turned. The entire book is an I-Spy game where a clue is given and then you can see just a bit of the next page. My favorite aspect is that as you turn the page, you see the next creature’s eye looking at you. The book incorporates game play, colors, and logic with great results.

Gibbs has a real sense of style wi
Dolly
May 22, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book to read aloud with children. The illustrations are great, and who doesn't love a book with cut-outs in the pages? (by the author/illustrator, that is) We made this into more of a challenge for our girls and I would cover up the clue to see if they could figure out the animal just from area around the eye that we could see. Then we'd read the clue, which pretty much gives it away. The illustrations are fantastic; we loved the vibrant colors and swirling lines. We had a lot of l ...more
RumBelle
Feb 08, 2017 RumBelle rated it it was amazing
I love Edward Gibbs' see through books. With simple clues, and just a hint of the animal beneath, children have a wonderful time guessing what they are looking at.
Amy
Nov 29, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I thought my Kindergarten students would find this book too juvenile because it is primarily focusing on animal identification and colors, BUT THEY LOVED IT!!! As an elementary librarian, you can easily access students' affection for a book by watching their reactions to it while reading it to them. You can see it in their eyes, their expressions. My students came alive while reading this book. They loved guessing who the animal would be after "spying" with their little eyes through the book. Th ...more
Allison Parker
Aug 04, 2011 Allison Parker rated it really liked it
A familiar format gets a winking new perspective in I Spy With My Little Eye. Readers get clues through peek-a-boo cutouts revealing a creature's eye - then the turn of the page confirms their guesses. Edward Gibbs's animal artwork is full of playful texture and lines, giving well known faces like the elephant and polar bear endearing personality and joy. This book will be a delightful addition to an animal or color themed storytime.
Candice
Dec 11, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Lots of opportunity for participation with this book. The cover and first page are cut out so that you can see the eye on the title page. A page with an eye in a circle says, "I spy with my little eye... something that is [a color]." A cut out circle reveals the color and there is also another hint about the animal that is spied. For "something that is blue" the hint is "I am the biggest animal in the world" and you turn the page to see a blue whale. On the first couple of readings it serves as ...more
Tam
Jan 27, 2012 Tam rated it really liked it
Cute book for my 4-year-old! The book has a hole where you can see the next page but don't know what you're looking at. It describes what's coming next and it was fun for my child to guess (the first time we read it). My child knows his colors but this would be a good book to reinforce them because each description includes the color you see in the cut-out.

Excerpt from the book:
"I spy with my little eye . . . something that is blue.
I am the biggest animal in the whole world."
In the cutout you ca
Christine Turner
Brilliant! I have not seen this type of illustrations for many years. In fact, the only other book that I can think of is "The Color Box" by Dayle Ann Dodds and illustrated by Giles Laroche. It is always a hit in storytime and I can't wait to read this in Twilight Tales.

babyhippoface
Jul 25, 2011 babyhippoface rated it it was amazing
The clever format of this book is what makes is a standout, as children get to peek through holes in the pages to guess the answer to clues about different animals. Each spread features a circle-shaped look at the eye of an animal on the left, a clue about the animal on the right, and on the next page, a lovely, brightly colored, full-spread of the animal with a circle-shaped hole on the left that lands on top of the eye from the previous page. Very young children will love playing the old guess ...more
Christen
Sep 17, 2011 Christen rated it really liked it
Kids love I Spy books and this is a great one for the younger crowd of three and down. The illustrations are large and clear so that the little ones can recognize each animal. I used this in my two-year-old storytime and the kids enjoyed guessing each animal. Each animal has a page with a brief introduction "I have a long trunk" and a hole in the paper that reveals a little aspect of the animal. Turning the page reveals the creature. The pages are sturdy, which is great because the kids like to ...more
Karen Dransfield
Jul 06, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This is another clever picture book that has holes on some of the pages with the I spy with my little eye something that is (insert a colour) and you can see just an eye/circle's worth until you turn the page. You then get to see the whole picture... and that whole turns something on the previous page to part of the picture still. It runs through a range of colours leading into pictures of animals. Very stylish.
Caroline
Feb 06, 2015 Caroline rated it liked it
The reader starts with a 2-page spread that says "I Spy with my little eye..." and gives a color clue about the animal, with both a verbal statement and a circular cutout giving a peek of the animal on the next page, and an additional fact specific to that animal. The next 2-page spread depicts a wonderfully smooth and bright illustration of the animal. Contains about 5 animals for the readers to guess.

A fun interactive book for story time.
Elizabeth
The clues are probably above the heads of my toddlers (and, in a few cases, me, at least until I turned the page), but the colors are fun. I think the Farm book gave better clues than this one, and this one's focus might be overly broad. (Again, I'm reading this with a roomful of toddlers in mind; older kids and/or one-on-one could be an entirely different story. I think this would be super-fun to read with a different audience.)
Paula
Short text grate for both preschoolers and toddlers
Peeking through the pages, children will be able to spot a different colored animal every time, and guess what it is using a simple, factual clue. Bold illustrations and die-cut holes will absorb young readers as they learn about colors and animal names.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 23, 2011 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
A fun I Spy book of animals, with clues. The pages have a cutout circle that contains a color clue on the right and then fold over to become an animal eye on the answer. Each animal is a familiar and appealing wild animal for young children.

“I spy with my little eye…
something that is orange.
I swing
from tree to
tree with my
long arms.

I’m an
ORANGUTAN.
Ingrid
Very simple book, but beautifully illustrated. Peep-hole cut-outs have been done before, but in this book they are not at all gimmicky. Great animal illustrations. Lots of places for dialog between reader and child as they figure out what animal it might be. I can't wait to use this one at Story Time.
Tricia
Aug 07, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
This book was quickly recommended for our professional collection when it hit the department. Page cut-outs show the eye of an animal and provide a clue as to the identity while the following page shows the entire animal. Bold illustrations are well-sized to be shared with an audience. children will enjoy yelling out their guesses---and seeing the correct answer.
Joy
Nov 04, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it
One of my new favorite storytime books. Use cutouts to create a picture book guessing game. Each animal gives a clue if kids can't guess based on the picture alone. Really vibrant, bright illustrations. Simple enough that you could probably do this with toddlers as well as preschoolers.
Erin
Nov 08, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Book lets children look at the eye of an animal and gives a questions about that animal. Turn the page--you see the answer! Teaches colors, animal characteristics, and, importantly, how to play "I spy!"
Anna
Jul 18, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Oh this is a marvelous book for the little ones. A spy hole to peep through, with superb illustrations. Kids get to guess what animal is coming up on the next page.

Both grandsons loved it.

We saw it at Story Hour at the library today, and then checked it out to bring home.
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • If You're Hoppy
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Grumpy Bird
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Hello Baby!
  • Tap the Magic Tree
Edward Gibbs studied art in New Zealand and has been working in the creative design business for the last twenty-five years. He lives in London.
More about Edward Gibbs...

Edward Gibbs' I Spy (5 books)
  • I Spy Under the Sea