I Spy With My Little Eye

I Spy With My Little Eye (Edward Gibbs' I Spy)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  652 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Look through this eye-catching book’s special spy hole to discover a world of animal colors!

Have you ever played the I-spy game? Debut artist Edward Gibbs takes the game to a whole new level in this picture book with spy holes. Peeking through the pages, children will be able to spot a different colored animal every time, and guess what it is using a simple, factual clue....more
Published April 12th 2011 by Templar

To ask other readers questions about I Spy With My Little Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Spy With My Little Eye

I Spy With My Little Eye by Edward GibbsShark vs. Train by Chris  BartonSheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. ShawNever, Ever Shout in a Zoo by Karma WilsonThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
DCLS Picture Books
1st out of 27 books — 4 voters
One by Kathryn OtoshiRed, Green, Blue by Alison JayMy Many Colored Days by Dr. SeussBlue Goose by Nancy TafuriNot All Animals Are Blue by Béatrice Boutignon
Preschool-Colors
7th out of 7 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Debrarian
Tonight I read this gorgeous guessing book to two small sisters clad in pajamas. Each page gave a clue: I spy with my little eye...something gray. It has a long trunk... "Elephant!" shouted Zoe, three years old. Anya, only two, hedged until I turned the page to reveal Gibbs' wonderfully creased elephant. "Rhinoceros!" she yelled. We pondered large leathery beasts. The girls' baby curls glowed in the slanty evening sunshine. They hippety-hopped up and down, riveted by the dramatic tension. We tur...more
Amanda Snow
The concept of this one isn't exactly unique--trying to figure out what may be on the page using small clues--but the format of this particular spying book is fantastic. You get a spy hole!

Each page gives a small clue as to what might be hiding on the next page, paired with a spy hole giving a glimpse of the color of the animal. You'll find whales, polar bears, and even an orangutan hiding in the pages!

The illustrations are nice and bright and the pages are large, making it a great storytime rea...more
Amy
I Spy... animals! This book has colors, shapes (a die cut circle cut out is on each page), animals... what more could you want?
Tasha
Children adore books with holes to peek through. In this book, the frog’s eye on the cover is actually a hole that carries through the book, with the background changing as the page is turned. The entire book is an I-Spy game where a clue is given and then you can see just a bit of the next page. My favorite aspect is that as you turn the page, you see the next creature’s eye looking at you. The book incorporates game play, colors, and logic with great results.

Gibbs has a real sense of style wi...more
Aisha Khan
This book takes inspiration from the popular children’s game ‘I spy ‘ and would be suitable for those in Key Stage One.

The book essentially features a number of different animals participating in the I spy game, with each page featuring a description of the animal and the following page revealing what animal it is. This book is good, as it makes use of the ever popular game to attract the reader’s attention and engage with the children reading it ensuring the educational information is absorbed...more
Sarah Lane
A fun book that gives the audience a clue as to what the animal will be on the next page. There are holes in some of the pages so you can also see a hint of the animal as well. The illustrations are big and beautiful. This would be a great book to review colors and animals.
Dolly
May 22, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book to read aloud with children. The illustrations are great, and who doesn't love a book with cut-outs in the pages? (by the author/illustrator, that is) We made this into more of a challenge for our girls and I would cover up the clue to see if they could figure out the animal just from area around the eye that we could see. Then we'd read the clue, which pretty much gives it away. The illustrations are fantastic; we loved the vibrant colors and swirling lines. We had a lot of l...more
Makenzy Mascioli
I love "I spy" books and this book caught my attention. It has fun shapes, colors, and animals! The best part is that it has a spy hole to try and guess what the next page is!
Emily Brown
fun interactive guessing game. Confidence builder for preschool and up because it is easy for them to guess, and for the toddlers, more of a learning tool.
Amy
I thought my Kindergarten students would find this book too juvenile because it is primarily focusing on animal identification and colors, BUT THEY LOVED IT!!! As an elementary librarian, you can easily access students' affection for a book by watching their reactions to it while reading it to them. You can see it in their eyes, their expressions. My students came alive while reading this book. They loved guessing who the animal would be after "spying" with their little eyes through the book. Th...more
Allison Parker
A familiar format gets a winking new perspective in I Spy With My Little Eye. Readers get clues through peek-a-boo cutouts revealing a creature's eye - then the turn of the page confirms their guesses. Edward Gibbs's animal artwork is full of playful texture and lines, giving well known faces like the elephant and polar bear endearing personality and joy. This book will be a delightful addition to an animal or color themed storytime.
Candice
Dec 11, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Lots of opportunity for participation with this book. The cover and first page are cut out so that you can see the eye on the title page. A page with an eye in a circle says, "I spy with my little eye... something that is [a color]." A cut out circle reveals the color and there is also another hint about the animal that is spied. For "something that is blue" the hint is "I am the biggest animal in the world" and you turn the page to see a blue whale. On the first couple of readings it serves as...more
My 2 yr old nonverbal kids LOVE these books. The illustrations, text, and design make them perfect to inspire participation.
Alyn
A fun and easy read. My son and I enjoyed guessing which animal was next. I have a feeling he had the book read to him before though because he was able to guess a few of them...
Laura Rivera
Antonio really liked it--to the point where we've been reading it twice nightly. :)
Christine Turner
Brilliant! I have not seen this type of illustrations for many years. In fact, the only other book that I can think of is "The Color Box" by Dayle Ann Dodds and illustrated by Giles Laroche. It is always a hit in storytime and I can't wait to read this in Twilight Tales.

Tam
Cute book for my 4-year-old! The book has a hole where you can see the next page but don't know what you're looking at. It describes what's coming next and it was fun for my child to guess (the first time we read it). My child knows his colors but this would be a good book to reinforce them because each description includes the color you see in the cut-out.

Excerpt from the book:
"I spy with my little eye . . . something that is blue.
I am the biggest animal in the whole world."
In the cutout you ca...more
Linda
Simply beautiful! A delightful book to share with a PreK-K age child.
Molly
This would be good for a toddler color storytime.
Kathy
Beautiful pictures, works great for storytime.
Christen
Kids love I Spy books and this is a great one for the younger crowd of three and down. The illustrations are large and clear so that the little ones can recognize each animal. I used this in my two-year-old storytime and the kids enjoyed guessing each animal. Each animal has a page with a brief introduction "I have a long trunk" and a hole in the paper that reveals a little aspect of the animal. Turning the page reveals the creature. The pages are sturdy, which is great because the kids like to...more
Elizabeth
The clues are probably above the heads of my toddlers (and, in a few cases, me, at least until I turned the page), but the colors are fun. I think the Farm book gave better clues than this one, and this one's focus might be overly broad. (Again, I'm reading this with a roomful of toddlers in mind; older kids and/or one-on-one could be an entirely different story. I think this would be super-fun to read with a different audience.)
babyhippoface
The clever format of this book is what makes is a standout, as children get to peek through holes in the pages to guess the answer to clues about different animals. Each spread features a circle-shaped look at the eye of an animal on the left, a clue about the animal on the right, and on the next page, a lovely, brightly colored, full-spread of the animal with a circle-shaped hole on the left that lands on top of the eye from the previous page. Very young children will love playing the old guess...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A fun I Spy book of animals, with clues. The pages have a cutout circle that contains a color clue on the right and then fold over to become an animal eye on the answer. Each animal is a familiar and appealing wild animal for young children.

“I spy with my little eye…
something that is orange.
I swing
from tree to
tree with my
long arms.

I’m an
ORANGUTAN.
Tricia
This book was quickly recommended for our professional collection when it hit the department. Page cut-outs show the eye of an animal and provide a clue as to the identity while the following page shows the entire animal. Bold illustrations are well-sized to be shared with an audience. children will enjoy yelling out their guesses---and seeing the correct answer.
Paula
Short text grate for both preschoolers and toddlers
Peeking through the pages, children will be able to spot a different colored animal every time, and guess what it is using a simple, factual clue. Bold illustrations and die-cut holes will absorb young readers as they learn about colors and animal names.
Ingrid
Very simple book, but beautifully illustrated. Peep-hole cut-outs have been done before, but in this book they are not at all gimmicky. Great animal illustrations. Lots of places for dialog between reader and child as they figure out what animal it might be. I can't wait to use this one at Story Time.
Anna
Oh this is a marvelous book for the little ones. A spy hole to peep through, with superb illustrations. Kids get to guess what animal is coming up on the next page.

Both grandsons loved it.

We saw it at Story Hour at the library today, and then checked it out to bring home.
Melanie
A clever I spy picture book that give readers a small clue to what's on the next page. Clues are given in the form of the color of the animal on the following page and an interesting fact about that animal. For example, the blue whale is described as the largest mammal in the ocean.
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Tuck Me In!
  • RRRalph
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Jump!
  • Monkey And Me
  • If You're Hoppy
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • Hello Baby!
  • The Seals on the Bus
Edward Gibbs studied art in New Zealand and has been working in the creative design business for the last twenty-five years. He lives in London.
More about Edward Gibbs...
I Spy on the Farm I Spy Under the Sea I Spy Pets I Spy in the Sky Little Bee