Start by marking “Tacoma Confidential: A True Story of Murder, Suicide, and Apolice Chief's Secret Life” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Gig Harbor, Washington, a quiet Tacoma suburb, knew little of tragedy and scandal-until April 26, 2003. On that day, David Brame, distraught over his impending divorce, shot his wife to death in a busy public parking lot. Then, with the couple's two children only feet away, he turned the gun on himself. It was a horrific event, but Tacoma residents had special reason to be ...more
Published January 3rd 2006 by Signet Book

To ask other readers questions about Tacoma Confidential, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tacoma Confidential

Trixie Fontaine
Readable, eye-opening, balanced account of the case with lots of local juice that satisfied me as a one-time resident of Tacoma and long-time devotee/lover of The City of Destiny.

One negative criticism I have is that the author seemed unable to consistently recognize verbal abuse AS abuse, which is probably part of what makes this a complicated case (the witness testimonies he gave make it sound as though the victim herself was also guilty of verbal abusing not only her husband, but the children
Nick
I didn't expect a murder suicide story about domestic abuse to have so many twists and turns in it. I mean you already know who the killer is right? But then I guess most domestic violence murders aren't committed by a city's police chief. The story was so bizarre I thought I was reading a David Baldacci novel. By the way if any of you are wondering why I update my books so frequently, it's because I currently have an hour and a half train commute to work.
A
Jul 08, 2009 A rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True crime fans, Tacoma residents
This book is written in a style that will totally pull you in. Maybe never knowing the full truth of what David and Crystal Brame were REALLY like, or what their marriage was really like, is why this is so fascinating. Even though this book is very thorough, because the Brames are no longer with us, by circumstance all we have left are a few still shots of what their dynamic really was. And mysteries always keep us hooked.

David Brame was a very dysfunctional man in his personal and professional
Skyler
this book is so weird, because it is so close to home!and events that happen i am aware of and have been to these places. i remember when this happend because i was there, i arrived like right after this happpend. i actually recognize david brame and has seen him in a few places before, its so weird how you can be fooled by the looks of some people, because this family is creepy and they had alot of hidden facts about them. but this book is really good, i cant put it down :]
Elyssa
I read this on my last vacation (when I indulge in all my true crime and other guilty pleasure reading). This book is set in Gig Harbor, WA and tells the story of David Brame, the Chief of Police who murdered his wife and then killed himself. The author does a great job of going behind the facade of this supposed "upstanding citizen" and behind the scenes of his highly dysfunctional marriage to show what led to his act of murder/suicide.
Joanna
A very detailed and interesting account of some major events in a city near where I live. Gave good background on the city to set the stage for the story. The author did a LOT of investigating and interviewing to give many different views of the events. I did find it kind of anti-climactic when they finally got to the murder though--the build-up was a bit overdone and the foreshadowing poorly done.
Laurie
I try to stay away from reading true crime because even though it fascinates me, I have a tendency to let my imagination get the better of me and it can interfere with my ability to sleep at night if it's too creepy. But this book wasn't too scary for me, I really liked the writing style and the story keeps you hooked through the end of the book.
Katie Ann
I really enjoyed this book and read it from start to finish in an afternoon. There were several surprising details about both Crystal and David mentioned in the book and then of course the entire unveiling of the corruption within the police department. Nicely detailed.
Mom Rainey
Jane
Jul 31, 2007 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime fans
Shelves: truecrime
This is a well written book. The author does an excellent job of making the characters & situation very real; at some times, even eery.
The fact that the husband is the chief of police makes the book all that more interesting.
Scott
A fast read. Sometimes a true story is more unbelievable than fiction...this is one of thise stories. Very sad but a story I could not put down.
Exactingnemesis
Interesting book....I think both of them had severe personality disorders. A good quick rainy day read.
Lu
Terrific book! This was my introduction to Paul Larosa. I have been an avid fan ever since!
Marilyn
"Gig Harbor, Washington, a quet Tacoma suburb, knew little of tragedy and scandal - until April 26, 2003. On that day, David Brame, distraught over his impending divorce, shot his wife to death in a busy public parking lot. Then, with the couple's two children only feet away, he turned the gun on himself. It was a horrific event on its own, but Tacoma residents had special reason to be shocked. Many would have considered Brame their city's least likely murderer. He was, after all, the chief of p ...more
Marsmannix
THIS BOOK STUNK LIKE A TEENAGER'S SNEAKERS.
I have read hundreds of true crime books, and LaRosa is no master of language. I characterize his writing as falling under the "jock lit" category. He goes into no depth as far as the criminal's psychology or personality.
I made the mistake of reading 2 by this author. Both reeked.
AVOID.

Read a good crime writer like Philip Carlo (RIP) or Ann Rule
Adelemarie
Well, I didn't find the chief's secret life all that strange compared with what goes on these days. I could understand how upset he was with his soon to be ex destroying his career. He probably just wanted to wring her neck, unfortunatly he had his glock with him. That's a good reason to leave mine at home!
Beth Gordon
Local true crime. I felt like the construction of the story was a bit odd - very slow build-up, the climax was anti-climactic.

Rosario
Interesting story. Awful writing. Reads like hastily transcribed interviews.
Joy
Jul 06, 2012 Joy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I remember this case quite well since we live in WA...
Jackie
Domestic abuse, threesomes, and nudist colonies! Oh my!
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Natalia Das
Natalia Das marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Leona
Leona marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Stephanie Brush
Stephanie Brush marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Patrick Santonja
Patrick Santonja marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • Death Trap
  • A Warrant to Kill
  • Poisoned Love
  • One Deadly Night
  • Dead And Buried: A Shocking Account of Rape, Torture, and Murder on the California Coast
  • Finding Chandra: A True Washington Murder Mystery
  • A Slaying in the Suburbs: The Tara Grant Murder
  • Bluegrass : A True Story of Murder in Small-Town Kentucky
  • In Broad Daylight
  • Mortal Danger and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #13)
  • Predator
  • Murder in the Adirondacks: An American Tragedy Revisited
  • Witch: The True Story of Las Vegas' Most Notorious Female Killer
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives

I'm so happy with the reviews of my memoir "Leaving Story Avenue, my journey from the projects to the front page." Here are just a few:

The NY Times: "A captivating and vivid memoir..."

Ken Auletta of The New Yorker magazine: "A poignant and funny memoir...."

The Newark Star Ledger: "Paul LaRosa nails the twilight era of American newspapers with the aplomb of the award-winning journalist he became."
More about Paul LaRosa...
Seven Days of Rage: The Deadly Crime Spree of the Craigslist Killer Nightmare in Napa: The Wine Country Murders Death of a Dream Leaving Story Avenue:  My Journey From the Projects to the Front Page Leaving Story Avenue, My journey from the projects to the front page