Start by marking “Swords of Talera (Talera Cycle #1)” as Want to Read:
Swords of Talera (Talera Cycle #1)

Swords of Talera (Talera Cycle #1)

SWORDS OF BLOOD AND GLORY! Abruptly transported from Earth to Talera, Ruenn Maclang must slash his way through a world of alien warriors and deadly beasts, where every move can result in death. To stay alive and find his missing brother, Ruenn must quickly learn the discipline of sword and spear, and experience the bitter stench of battle. And he must uncover the many hidd ...more
Published April 25th 2007 by Borgo Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Swords of Talera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swords of Talera

Richard Godwin
Jul 23, 2011 Richard Godwin rated it it was amazing
Charles Gramlich has written a richly layered, compelling novel in Swords Of Talera. He is himself a highly erudite man who is extremely versatile in his range as a writer. This is exemplified in this excellent novel.
It explores the myth structures we inhabit as well as the tribalism inherent in social structures. And it does so through a highly readable story.
Ruenn Maclang is transported from Earth to Talera. There he encounters a range of alien monsters. He has to fight his way back and in doi
Derek
Jun 17, 2014 Derek rated it liked it
Shelves: sword-and-planet
The specific influence at play here is Dray Prescot. Ruann Maclang is a man out of Earth's past, a sailor, thrown to a strange and unlikely world whose artificial nature hints of a power behind the scenes.

Given that starting point, Gramlich has gone in interesting directions. Talera itself appears to the artificial construct of powerful and mysterious entities, who have populated it with a variety of species stolen from across time and space, all for reasons unknown, but which forms a petri dish
S.E. Lindberg
Swords of Talera: Book One of the Talera Cycle is fun “Sword & Planet” adventure. Get svelte, escape to Talera.

I first discovered Charles Allen Gramlich via his poetic Sword & Sorcery books (highly recommended): Bitter Steel: Tales and Poems of Epic Fantasy and Harvest of War. Being biased toward weird adventure on “earth,” I was inspired to branch out slightly because of the Goodreads Sword & Sorcery Group's groupread for May-June 2014, the theme being “Sword & Planet.” Being a
Bernard DeLeo
Jul 26, 2010 Bernard DeLeo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I heard Charles Gramlich's Swords of Talera, and its sequels would remind me of Robert E Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs, I couldn't resist. Swords of Talera blends fast paced action with exotic locales and peoples very reminiscent of Howard and Burroughs. I was immediately caught up in Ruenn Maclang's plight on the world of Talera, where Maclang wins the loyalty and respect of warriors he reluctantly commands to defeat the slaving race of Klar warriors. Throw in sword wielding Princess Ran ...more
Charles
Jul 17, 2008 Charles added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy
The first book in my Talera cycle. I wrote this one when I was 24, but it was polished many times before it was published initially as a four part serial in a magazine. It was revised again before its first book publication.
Charles
Jul 05, 2010 Charles added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the ebook version of Swords of Talera. I know it is available on Barnes & Noble but I'm not sure where else you could find it. It's not on Amazon because it's not Kindleized.
Randy
Jul 20, 2008 Randy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sword and planet fans
Recommended to Randy by: internet
I love this sort of Sword and Planet adventure, having grown up reading Edgar Rice Burroughs, as well as a number of other such writers.
The adventures of Ruenn Maclang falls right into that genre.
Travis
Jul 26, 2008 Travis rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Cora Pop
This story has all the elements of early, beloved swashbuckling stories. A mysterious stranger who delivers a manuscript and then disappears just as mysteriously. The seas, exotic lands, shipwrecks, a hero with a huge heart and a very interesting name, a damsel in distress who proves more than once that she can stand for herself, sword fights, camaraderie, magic…

The imagery is vivid. The world described is rich in sensory details. There were moments, especially in the wondrous city of Emira duri
Steve Malley
Jan 05, 2011 Steve Malley rated it it was amazing
Talera is swashbuckling high adventure. Swordplay, alien races, beautiful maidens, this book has it all!

Ruenn is a two-fisted hero capable of going toe to toe with any of the heroes of Pellucidar, Mars, Cimerra, Atlantis or the jungles of Tarzan's Africa. Rannon is noble, beautiful and tough as nails herself. One almost expects her to step out of a Frazetta canvas.

This is a tale well told. The characters are vivid, true to life, and stay with the reader long after the final page is turned. I can
Tony Petry
May 13, 2015 Tony Petry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action, fantasy
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This book is amazing. I highly recommend this book to anyone. Mr. Gramlich wrote like a true storyteller. This is jammed pack with action, why this isn't a blockbuster movie is beyond me. Charles Gramlich shows the caliber of writer he truly is, he's without a doubt in the same league as Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robert E. Howard. I'd put Gramlich's character Ruenn Maclang against Conan, Kull, Hercules, and John Carter any day of the week and believe that Ruenn Maclang would c ...more
Michael
Great fun read! A Sword and Planet adventure in the mold of ERB's Barsoom stories. If you like John Carter you will like this. I have already ordered the next two books in the series from Amazon.
Exanimis
This was a fun read that reminded me of the Edgar Rice Burroughs stories I enjoyed for so long. Swords of Talera is a great example of sword and planet.
Writtenwyrdd
Writtenwyrdd rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2009
Colin
Colin rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Charles Gatlin
Charles Gatlin rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Chris Gruber
Chris Gruber rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2008
Bret
Bret rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2008
Cora Pop
Cora Pop rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Shauna
Shauna rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2008
Keith Gouveia
Keith Gouveia rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Avery DeBow
Avery DeBow rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2011
Scott Hall
Scott Hall rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2012
Laughingwolf
Laughingwolf rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2012
Ron Langley
Ron Langley rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2010
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 02, 2008
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2008
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2009
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2009
Melissa Bennett
Melissa Bennett marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2010
Bert Edens
Bert Edens marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2010
Kate Sterling
Kate Sterling marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2010
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2011
Fredrik Bolin
Fredrik Bolin is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2011
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2011
Alyssa Flynn
Alyssa Flynn marked it as to-read
May 30, 2011
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2011
Leon Aldrich
Leon Aldrich marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2011
Jonathon Laudinsky
Jonathon Laudinsky marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2012
Cateline
Cateline marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Br1cht
Br1cht marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Jeff Doten
Jeff Doten marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
I grew up on a farm in Arkansas, and I fully intend to retire right back to that same farm. But not yet. I came to Louisiana in 1986 to teach Biological Psychology at Xavier University in New Orleans. I've been there ever since, although I now live in a semi-rural area outside Abita Springs, Louisiana.

My primary writing interests are in Fantasy and Horror, which are the genres where my books and
More about Charles Allen Gramlich...

Talera Cycle (3 books)
  • Wings Over Talera (Talera Cycle #2)
  • Witch of Talera (Talera Cycle #3)