Start by marking “Exposure” as Want to Read:
Exposure

Exposure (Paul Faustino #3)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Winner of the 2009 Guardian Children's Fiction Prize

Carnegie Medalist Mal Peet takes a searing look at the world of soccer and pop-celebrity culture — and the lives of three street kids caught in its glare.

When a black South American soccer star signs on to a team in the country's racist south, headlines blare. And when he falls for the sensual Desmerelda, a stunning whit
Published March 8th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published October 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Exposure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exposure

Christianne
There are great things about this book. The writing is solid. The peek inside of the building up and tearing down of a celebrity is interesting. Peet's treatment of kids who live on the street is thoughtful and compelling. This story is based on Shakepeare's Othello, and in general I do like books that are new takes on classics.

However, there is a big problem. The Iago character, named Diego, is deeply flawed. I just didn't understand why he was trying to ruin Otello, the main character. Diego i
Anthony Eaton
This most recent of Peet's Paul Faustino novels (according to Peet, his character's surname is taken from a very servicable bottle of cheap Spanish white wine, by the way) is a treatment of 'Othello' which, I'll be perfectly honest, I picked up with mixed feelings.

I'm kind of over the whole 'sexing up Shakespeare for the kids' thing. Baz Lurhman did it beautifully, and others since have attempted to re-invent the bard in film and literature, few with any real degree of success to my mind. One no
Mark
This is Mal Peet back at the top of his game with the latest in the Paul Faustino series. I thought The Penalty was fairly dull compared with the elegance and simplicity of Keeper so it was good to see him produce a winner again.
Another South American football story - this time an updated version of Shakespeare's Othello. Even if kids are unfamiliar with the story of Othello, they will likely enjoy this tale. Reluctant male readers will particularly enjoy this as well.
Luis Chavez
Exposure is a good book; I would recommend it to people that like to read books about life. Exposure is also a book for people who really like reading because it’s a pretty long book. I liked it because this book talks about the life of a soccer player but it doesn’t only talk about his career it also talks about his life. I did not like how the book keeps switching from character to character though it was kind of confusing to me. The characters really reflect how complicated the life of a comm ...more
Marita
I really enjoyed this new outing with sportswriter Paul Faustino, although it is so different to Keeper (I'm yet to read Penalty). As one of the characters says, football is politics in certain parts of South America, and racism comes into the mix as well as when black player from the north - the national captain no less - finds the transition to his new team difficult. Lots more complications as well, and a wonderful Othello trope which mixes it up a bit. The overlapping plots of three street k ...more
Terri
I am not an historical fiction fan generally, but when I read Mal Peet's "Tamar" I was almost converted. So when his latest book, "Exposure," came out I thought I would give it a try. I was especially pleased that the book was not historical fiction. It is one of the rare books that I nearly abandoned. However, I ended up feeling that sticking with it was worthwhile. I stayed up late into the night reading the last hundred pages or so.

The concept of "Exposure" is interesting - a contemporary rem
Audra Deemer
This is a modern spin on the tragedy of Shakespeare’s Othello and set in South America. Otello is a black soccer star recently traded to the country’s racist south. He falls in love and marries quickly Desmerelda, the country’s striking white pop star (and daughter of a powerful and conservative politician). The glare of the paparazzi‘s cameras can be blinding and enemies can appear to be one’s confidantes and friends.

The story is divided into five acts. Knowledge of Shakespeare’s Othello is no
Courtney Johnston
I blogged this yesterday, when I was half-way through 'Exposure'

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I read a lot of YA, but I tend to read classics, or stuff that falls into the fantasy sci/fi category. I think I do this because YA set in this everyday world is often shallow, or modeled on the same dreary stuff that adult fiction is - so what's the point?

But I'm trying to self-medicate, and I'm starting with Mal Peet's Exposure. You might argue it's fantasy, but I don't care.

Expo
Interesting reworking of Othello, with the action taking place in some unnamed South American country with serious race issues. OthelloOtello is a black footballsoccer star, traded to an almost all-white southern team. At a party to meet the Very Important People in his new city, he's introduced to DesdemonaDesmerelda (or Dezi), a Shakira-clone. IagoDiego, his manager, sets the tragedy in motion; the other players (Michael Cass, Hector Brabanto, Paul Faustino) all do their best to keep the plot ...more
Candy Wood
Transposing Othello to present-day Latin America makes for some interesting changes. Otello is a football star, bought by a southern team where his reception is racist but they need his skill--Desmerelda is a pop music star, daughter of a wealthy businessman who backs the Rialto team--Diego Mendosa is Otello's agent, working to destroy his client with even less motivation than Iago has to destroy Shakespeare's Othello. What makes it a YA novel is the presence of Bush, a street kid, and his siste ...more
Christian Reyes
Feb 10, 2014 Christian Reyes is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Im reading a book entitled Exposure by Mal Peet which is a work of sports. Otello is a south american soccer player.I wonder how did he become a soccer player? Otello isnt rich infact he comes from a poor environment and he cleans cars for money. Something that this book makes me think about is how he became a professional soccer player.
Claire
A wonderfully well-written story of celebrity, love and compassion, Exposure is based in part on Othello. I find Mal Peet's characters completely fascinating and enticing and his written style is effortless and captivating.
M Hunt
In Exposure, Mal Peet re-imagined Shakespeare's "Othello" set in the world of professional soccer. The Iago equivalent - an uber sports-manager - complains that heroes used to 'invent countries, give names to things' but now a hero is nothing more than a celebrity. 'It reduces all of us. It reduces me.' And so, he decides to take down his gifted client Otello, Otello's pop singing wife, Desdemona, the media that elevated them as a superstar couple and the society which gives celebrities all its ...more
Jen
Last in the Paul Faustino novels about soccer, and set in an un-named South American country. This one is loosely based on Shakespeare's Othello. It concerns Otello, a black star just signed to a new team and Desmerelda, a pup star and the daughter of the main patron of the team. They fall in love and marry, in spite of the opposition of Dezi's father. They become the power couple of their country, like Posh and Becks. Mixed in with this, is the story of 3 street kids, whose lives cross with Fau ...more
Sophie
Brilliant - though the problem with a modern retelling of Othello is the unshakable feeling of dread from when you pick up the book...
Ryan
Catherine  Mustread
Jan 28, 2010 Catherine Mustread rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catherine by: Guardian Childrens Prize 2009
Written as a teen book, but quite worthy of an adult audience. Journalist Paul Faustino appears in Mal Peet's third book, this time without the voo-doo spiritual aspects of The Penalty and Keeper. Each book stands alone, however, and Exposure, a retelling and reworked Othello, continues Peet's previous themes of responsible journalism, race, class and celebrity.
Michael Earp
Who knew I could like a book about soccer? :)
Claire
The atmosphere is great. In fact, it was almost too well-created for me: reading the book was like watching a horror movie where you know what's going to happen and you can only wait in dread for it to unfold, gripping the book and thinking, "no! no! don't do it!" But the end felt like a let-down after all that build-up. You retell a Shakespearean tragedy and nobody dies except for a character who didn't even exist in the original? Come on...
Jen
If you liked reading "othello" then you have to read this book.

It iis a modern version of Othello.

In this book, Othello is a famous soccor player and Desdemona is pop singer. Of course they fall in love and get married.

However, everything goes downhill from there. Diego (Othello's agent) does everything he can to bring down Othello, due to jealousy and greediness.
Olivia Knight
Exposure is a very clever and well-put together novel centered around one of Shakespeare's most recognized tragedies in his time. The novel centers around different characters a time, including Paul Faustino. Some themes of the novel include racism, frenemies, and especially forbidden love, all wrapped up between the famous couple of Otello and Desmerelda.
Trisha
This retelling of 'Othello' has much to recommend it. The author recreates the jealousy, the greed and the racial issue with much dignity and realism. But he goes that one step further. Ulitmately what we have here with 'Exposure' is a portrayal of modern, contemporary life that is both stark and sharp. What a book!
Debra
Think Othello in a Brazil-like soccer (futbol) obsessed country....

Not as high a quality as Peet's earlier Paul Guardino books, but still a good read completely independent of the earlier series books.

This man can write. Forget that they are called teen books. Just try one to see if it floats your boat.
Ann
There's no doubt that Mal Peet is a terrific writer, but there's something disjointed, slightly wrong about the plot and setting of these Paul Faustino books. Can't quite put my finger on it, a great read, but not an entirely pleasant or satisfying one.
Emma
Some of this story follows Othello so closely (such as the names) that the ending threw me off. However, I liked the fact I didn't predict the ending. I'll stop with that so I don't spoil the ending for others.
Richard
This was a disappointment. The auther did such a great job with "Keeper", but I gave up on this one about half way through and quickly scanned the last of the book. The story was improbabale and not well written.
Ola
Great book about South American soccer and its danger. Soccer players all around will love this story of a star's life after a trade. Twists throughout will make you rethink sports all over the world.
Andrea
Started really well but there was no satisfactory conclusion to the end of the story it just kind of petered out...very disappointing was looking forward to recommending this to my students!
Brandee Terry
Not a bad book but I'll take the original (Shakespear's Othello) over this any day. I like the idea of a retake on such a well known story but this was lacking in character development.
  • Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices
  • Paradise
  • A Stone in My Hand
  • X: A Novel
200052
Mal Peet grew up in North Norfolk, and studied English and American Studies at the University of Warwick. Later he moved to southwest England and worked at a variety of jobs before turning full-time to writing and illustrating in the early 1990s. With his wife, Elspeth Graham, he had written and illustrated many educational picture books for young children, and his cartoons have appeared in a numb ...more
More about Mal Peet...

Paul Faustino (3 books)
  • Keeper (Paul Faustino, #1)
  • The Penalty (Paul Faustino, #2)
Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal Keeper (Paul Faustino, #1) Life: An Exploded Diagram Cloud Tea Monkeys The Penalty (Paul Faustino, #2)