Start by marking “At Ellis Island: A History in Many Voices” as Want to Read:
At Ellis Island: A History in Many Voices

At Ellis Island: A History in Many Voices

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Ellis Island was the gateway to America and the promise of freedom for thousands. Its walls are rich with stories. Its walls are rich with stories. In this book we hear myriad of those voices. First we follow a young person today. Her great-great-grandmother entered America through Ellis Island. As this young girl walks the halls of the famous site, she wonders about the p ...more
Published May 22nd 2007 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about At Ellis Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Ellis Island

538PM_LaurenRomano
"A history in many voices," is a great description of this book. It is a mixture of historical fiction and non-fiction. Each page is packed to the brim with photographs, drawings, maps and information from three different perspectives- real quotes from immigrants, a fictional young Armenian immigrant, and a fictional modern girl looking back on her grandmother's journey through Ellis Island. Each page highlights a different part of the journey- the horrible conditions on the ship, the lack of fo ...more
L11-Sharri Moses
This book gives us three different perspectives of experiences at Ellis Island. Ellis Island was considered the gateway to America and the promise of freedom for millions of immigrants. It is also where the Statue of Liberty stands as a symbol for freedom. One perspective is from a girl escaping the Armenian genocide and she is going to meet her father in America. She is under age and is lonely and scared so she writes to her mother for strength and comfort. In her letters, she explains her hard ...more
Corinne
I read this one out loud to my 8 1/2 year old daughter, at her request. I'd actually bought the book for myself; I have a very soft spot in my heart for Ellis Island and immigration stories in general, since my Great-Grandmother's family immigrated here from Czechoslovakia at the turn of the century.

The book is set up as a series of quotes of actual immigrants who came to America during Ellis Island's busiest period, as well as quotes by people who were employed there at the time. They are inter
Melanie Guerra
I read this to my daughter last night and was struck by the standards and principles Americans and immigrants alike once held to. There are deep lessons in these stories... real sacrifice, self-reliance, obligation, sincere appreciation for the privilege of being can American. Many of these lessons have been lost recently, and should be taught once again. This book should be read by all Americans.
Chantelle
A really well-done historical book with elements of both fiction and nonfiction. It is a quick read, a picture book with lots of examples of primary documents. A great book to use in class as an example of a nonfiction text.

Also - an excellent representation of the Ellis Island experience.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Gives a vivid picture of what it was like to step onto Ellis Island and go through the process of entering the United States. The pictures and excerpts from interviews with immigrants made it come to life.
Cathi
This is a lovely little book, filled with great illustrations by Walter Lyon Krudop and also many wonderful photographs taken from the National Archives. The book imagines a little girl named Sera and her experiences as she comes to America, and it also contains quotes from many early 20th century immigrants who came through Ellis Island. It's a great introductory book for young readers who want to learn about our country's rich history of immigration, from approximately one hundred years ago.
Amy Taylor
This is a fiction picture book that mixes in non-fictions elements. It tells the story of many children who came through Ellis Island through excerpts of their own letters and through the fictional letters of Sera, a 10 year old Armenian girl, to her dead mother as she travels to America alone. Actual photos as well as illustrations are included. Sera’s story pulls at the heartstrings but the letter excerpts and photos really make the book. They pull the reader into the era and the lives of Amer ...more
Very cool structure with fictional narrative, real quotes, and generalized history running throughout. Lots to discuss around immigration.
Amanda Funnell
A wonderful mixture of a girl's fictional account of her journey to America as well as real quotes from immigrants and inspectors.
Shellys♥ Journal
I liked this book a lot. It told the story of Serah who was coming to meet her father in America from Armenia where there was civil war of some kind. She is writing a letters to her mother. This part of the book is fiction. But on each page where she talks about certain parts of her trip, there are also quotes from real people who went through the same thing and drawings and pictures of what it was like.

My family came through Ellis Island, so this was a great book to read to my kids on what it m
'jean
Nicely done.
Tessa
This was really well done - not too long for the younger ones, all about children, full of information and pictures (although, we would have liked even more pictures). My nine year old was particularly riveted and really tried to imagine what it would be like to be sent back to her native country when she'd come all that way to Ellis Island. A very worthwile read, especially if you're studying that period of American history.
Jody
I can't read about the immigrant experience without having tears well up in my eyes. This is a short picture book (fiction AND nonfiction) with illustrations and photographs about the Ellis Island Experience. There's a main story that runs through, and then there are all these captions and excerpts on each page--sort of choppy for my liking, but I did read every word!
John
I enjoyed reading this picture book. The author Louise Peacock created a wonderful depiction of what the lives of these immigrants were like by using a "journal" format throughout much of the book. The illustrations added a great deal of value to the story and will certainly give the reader a more empathetic view of this time in history.
Kelly Taylor
Apr 27, 2008 Kelly Taylor rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This was such a good book. I almost cried as I was reading all the different stories that people had to share. I know that things like this really happened, and I could never imagine going through that myself.
Annie
It was a great book. It must have been hard for Sera she had to travel all alone on one of the boats and when she got to dock the managers for the Ellis Island enter estate almost sent her home. Porter was here:)
This will be a wonderful story to read to my children. It gives real perspective from the immigrants view of how much courage it took to cross the ocean and start over.
Rita
I love this historical fiction book for children! I like how the author uses illustrations as well as real photographs from the past to tell the story.

sarafem
Great kid's book about the history of immigration in the US. I love the rich details in this book - tells stories of real people who went through Ellis Island.
April
I enjoyed the modern and historical perspective of this book. Having been to Ellis Island, it was all the more real to me.
Rebecca Osburn
This book is a great collection of different points of view regarding immigration.
Emily
uses some primary source letters/photos, plus imaginary character letter
11/2007
Greentealearner
Excellent book. I learned a lot very quickly. Just right for primary grades.
Precious
i think it is a good book
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Dhana
Dhana marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Jen Rock
Jen Rock marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Crossing the Delaware: A History in Many Voices Serious Play: Modern Clown Performance Slapstick and Comic Performance: Comedy and Pain Serious Play Peacock Untitled Book 2