Start by marking “Cars Galore” as Want to Read:
Cars Galore

Cars Galore

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  341 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Buckle up for an exuberant ride humming with energetic rhymes and whimsical, retro art from a masterful team.

Black car, green car,
nice car, mean car.
Near car, far car.
Whoa! Bizarre car!

Ready to hit the road? Gear up for a nonstop parade of shapes, sizes, sounds, and even smells in a wild array of cars packed with big personalities, awesome features, and eccentric passen
Published March 22nd 2011 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Cars Galore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cars Galore

Samantha
Apr 12, 2011 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Fun book! Lots of repetition (almost Seussian, think The Foot Book) and rhyme. Bright, interesting illustrations support the text and give readers a lot to look at, especially in subsequent readings. This would be a fun storytime read, it oozes with enthusiasm and excitement!
Kate
Jul 20, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-hobbit
Fun art style. Lots of great rhymes. A great read-aloud book!
Sarah Sammis
Jul 23, 2015 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sarah by: There's a Book
David
May 09, 2012 David rated it liked it
Cars Galore by Peter Stein, illustrated by Bob Staake, is a high-energy parade of real, bizarre, and imagined cars.

Staake's bright, stylized illustrations have a retro look along with humor and whimsy. Some very silly and eccentric cars are featured. My favorite images are has-it-all car, fun-filled fort car, music cars, hundred-feet car, and take-a-trip car.

Stein's rhyming text should keep readers turning the pages. Some of the cars could be hard to locate, so I would pre-read this and possibly
Jane
Nov 15, 2014 Jane rated it liked it
The best thing about this book are the illustrations which are zany, wacky, crazy renditions of silly cars. The text lacked a little bit. It was similar to the timing and rhythm of Dr. Seuss, but was sometimes halting to read so it was not entirely successful for me. Regardless, my son loves all things cars and loved to look through this book with me.
Bekka
Jun 17, 2014 Bekka rated it really liked it
Very fun! The rhymes are great, and I love the modern angular illustrations. Its a bit busy, and maybe a tad on the "too much" side, but I think kids would really enjoy this book! The rhymes are very memorable, and kids would enjoy reading this along with a parent, just to say the funny rhymes.
Karen
Aug 07, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cars Galore is a really fun read. It is exactly the sort of book I would have chosen for Toddler/Preschooler story time at the library. It reads as if Peter Stein wrote it by reading it out loud to a four-year-old. It is silly, funny and packed with visual words and onomatopoeia. And now I love it even more because I got to use the word "onomatopoeia" in a review.

I love everything about Bob Staake's artwork for this book, from the cover, to the end papers, to every illustration inside. Again, th
Margaret Chind
Aug 06, 2012 Margaret Chind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Candlewick Press
This is one fun and funky board book! A board book version of the original release from early 2011 it is definitely one to have on hand. It fits in really well with our preschool stuff right along with the rhythm and rhyme of Go, Dog, Go! and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and all those other fun and ridiculously silly reads. The illustrations are definitely where the funky comes in my opinion but it is a good way. There is plenty to stare at and in our reading, my preschooler was sure ...more
Barb
Aug 07, 2014 Barb rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable picture book for the littlest motorhead in your life. I love the rhyming text and the illustrations are pure fun. I read this with my 9 year old son and we had fun matching up the cars to their descriptions; tall car, short car, fun filled fort car...
Drew Graham
May 05, 2016 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
There are all kinds of cars! Some are really wacky.

We love a cars book at our house, and this one was pretty unique. Some of the humor falls a bit flat to my mind, but the illustrations are vibrant and whimsical and original, and the rhyming pattern has some appeal and humor. We had a little sneezing car on our hands after reading this.
Library
Jun 01, 2015 Library rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: board-books
Though a board book, this book has plenty of text (too much for storytime). The many fun car descriptions are great for teaching opposites. Some of my favorite creative and hilarious cars were Noah's Ark car and fort car (a house with wheels).
Danielle Mootz
May 24, 2016 Danielle Mootz rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
My son loves cars so you can't go wrong with a book full of them. He particularly loved the alligator driving the big pink car.
Jennifer Heise
Jun 18, 2013 Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it
Shelves: trucks, beekman
My four-year-old took to this with great joy, and has already requested repeat reads. The rhymes are great & the pictures creatively zany; however, for the adult reader-aloud, the illustrations are a constant frustration because there's no clear sequence of which car on the page goes with which line in the rhyme, and sometimes there are cars that don't seem to fit anywhere. After another 4-5 readings I will probably have settled on a pointing sequence... another idea would be to ask the chil ...more
Renee
Apr 14, 2016 Renee rated it liked it
Although I enjoyed the bold illustrations, noah's ark car and mean car were a no-go for me.
Kim
Mar 25, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Grades Preschool - 2

Silliness abounds in this energetic rhyming book about all kinds of cars. "Fast car, slow car/ on-the-go car/ Big car, small car./ Has-it-all car./ Cars and MORE cars!/ Doing-chore cars!/ Rev-'em-up-and-/ make-'em-ROAR cars!" Bob Staake's stylized retro drawings nicely complement Stein's verses, and will make adult readers think they've stepped back to the 1960's. When fans of all things car spot this title, it won't stay on the shelf... the upbeat tempo makes it a book that
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 21, 2016 Debby Baumgartner rated it it was ok
PreK book about all kinds of cars.
Emerson and Theodore
Oct 29, 2014 Emerson and Theodore rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Back to an old favorite topic. Fun book.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
“Cars off-roading,
jumping, thumping!
Gears all grinding!
Pistons pumping!”

In a book reminiscent of Go, Dog, Go, Peter Stein and Bob Staake have created a world full of cars of every possible sort, from traditional cars to the most eccentric cars imaginable. Cars wind their way down the coal-black roads of this book, full of gizmos and gadgets, racing, chasing, on highways and skyways. With just enough rhyme to keep turning the pages, this is a perfect book for the car lover.
Jul 10, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
What a fun, rhyming read aloud! Cars Galore includes tons of fun, quirky cars with a bouncing, rhyming narrative. As an adult, even I enjoyed figuring out which car matched the descriptions. I loved the hundred-feet car!

Preschool aged children, especially car-obsessed tots, will certainly get a kick out of this book. I'm not sure I would purchases this book for a K-5 elementary collection, but younger children will love it and it definitely belongs in a public library.
Jane G Meyer
Nov 15, 2011 Jane G Meyer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
One of the best little car books I've found. The rhyming is fun, not forced at all, and the illustrations are a crack up. It's the type of book a little one could read again and again, and short enough for a grown up to read over and over without keeling over...

Because of the colorful, whimsical style, and because of some of the really funny girl cars and characters, I think girls would get a kick out of this as well as any truck-loving boy...
Tanya
Jul 13, 2011 Tanya rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
Boring! Even my 4yr old who loves cars wasn't that keen on this one. The illustrations are colorful but the cars depicted are odd. It would be ok if you didn't have to find each car listed in the pages on the pages ... this is implied ... and it frankly takes too long for the child to decide which car is being referred to as some could be the same and yet they are all bizarre. Read Go Dog Go instead!!
Rachael
Aug 18, 2012 Rachael rated it really liked it
I was looking for a book with simple text and cars on every page for my car-obsessed toddler, and this fits the bill perfectly. He absolutely loves it, and lets Daddy know he's ready for bed by telling him "Cars Galore." Since this was a library book, I think we're going to have to buy this one!
Donalyn
A random assortment of cars--both realistic and fanciful-- speed across the pages of this book. Full of word play and interesting word choices. I thought it was difficult to match the illustrations to specific phrases in the text at times, but I imagine kids could work it out!
Tam
Apr 24, 2011 Tam rated it really liked it
My 4-year-old loves cars so this was the perfect book for him. Each page gives a description of cars (Cars on highways! Cars on cliffs! Cars on skyways! Cars on lifts!) and is illustrated with the cars it described so he can figure out which car is which.
Linda
With verse similar to "Go Dog Go" and "Red Fish, Blue Fish", this book filled with cars of all shapes and sizes might be a favorite of a car loving child, but I think the adult reader will be ready to pull their hair out at the end!
Elisabeth
Apr 08, 2011 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Great new choice for all those transportation lovin' kids. Won't use in story time, because although it's clever it does go on and on a bit and I start to squirm at the thought of my little audience squirming.
Sarah Stumphf
Jun 20, 2013 Sarah Stumphf rated it it was amazing
If you have a two year old boy, this is a real attention keeper! So many different kinds of cars to look at and imagine! He'll add to the story, or possibly make up his own as you read this! Really cute book!
Kayla
Everything a board book should be...interesting to parents, repetitive phrases mixed with lots of new vocabulary words, and plenty of things to look for in the pictures. Love the retro illustrations, too.
Malissa
Honk Honk! What a fun and silly book all about different cars- real and imagined. Kids would love the playfulness of the words and the illustrations and enjoy matching the cars to the words.
Butterflycager
May 23, 2011 Butterflycager rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-kids-loved-it
My daughters have begged for this book every night since we checked it out of the library, so we'll probably go ahead and buy it. Their favorite cars are the bizarre car and the hundred feet car.
  • Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat
  • One Pup's Up
  • I'm Not.
  • Look! A Book!
  • Pocketful of Posies: A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes
Peter Stein has been a highly successful writer, editor, designer, and art director for more than twenty years. He is the author of seven gift books, including Age Is Nothing, Attitude Is Everything and Fine Friends: A Little Book About You and Me. He lives in Petaluma, California.
More about Peter Stein...