Start by marking “A Spy in the House (The Agency, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Spy in the House (The Agency, #1)

A Spy in the House (The Agency #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,834 Ratings  ·  1,348 Reviews
Introducing an exciting new series! Steeped in Victorian atmosphere and intrigue, this diverting mystery trails a feisty heroine as she takes on a precarious secret assignment.

Rescued from the gallows in 1850s London, young orphan (and thief) Mary Quinn is surprised to be offered a singular education, instruction in fine manners — and an unusual vocation. Miss Scrimshaw’s
Published February 8th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published April 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Spy in the House, please sign up.

Megan There is the suggestion of the main character possibly falling in love and love is mentioned, but as a person who personally hates books with a lot of…moreThere is the suggestion of the main character possibly falling in love and love is mentioned, but as a person who personally hates books with a lot of romance it was fine. There isn't very much and it isn't a main part. (less)
Divergent by Veronica RothObsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenCinder by Marissa MeyerGraceling by Kristin Cashore
Young Adult Books Without Love Triangles
97th out of 471 books — 382 voters
They Call Me Alexandra Gastone by T.A. MaclaganI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterOnly the Good Spy Young by Ally CarterDon't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally CarterOut of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter
Best YA spy books
11th out of 58 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
I really, really wanted to like this book. I'm a fan of novels set during the Victorian era, as I've always been very interested in how thinking, reasoning people-especially women--manage to survive in such a repressive society. It's the same reason I like Jane Austen novels, because the yearning for connection with other human beings is so often at odds with the strict customs of the day.

There's a tendency now in books for authors to just ignore those rules and just barrel forward with whatever
Krystle
Jun 06, 2011 Krystle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dude, this book rocked my world in all sorts of ways. Asian-American (Woops sorry, she's Asian-Canadian actually) author? Bingo! Asian-ish character? Double bingo! Feisty main character with an even crackalicious chemistry between the two leads? JACKPOT.

My favorite part of the book has to be the interactions between James and Mary. I must’ve cracked up tons of times from their hilarious banter. They just sizzle in their scenes together. After all, if she meets him in a closet there is bound to
David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
Mary Quinn displays plenty of charm and wit while working as A Spy In The House. Sadly, tiresome cliches and one-dimensional supporting characters prevent this good read from becoming a great one!

It's 1853 in London, England, and 12-year old Mary Quinn has just been sentenced to die! Convicted for thievery, Mary is saved from the gallows pole at the last moment by a mysterious stranger and brought to Miss Scrimshaw's Academy for Girls. But much like Mary herself, the Academy is full of secrets.
TL
Jan 17, 2016 TL rated it liked it
Recommended to TL by: xmas gift from Kolleen and Kay
Not bad but not great either... the old/classic "good idea but not great execution"

The premise itself sounded interesting but I couldn't get invested in it. We move too quickly from one event to the next in some cases and some of the connections seem too convenient or not quite believable.

I would have loved to learn more about Mary's school years and the "skills" her benefactors thought she displayed that they thought were good qualities for an Agent. Mental red flags popped up from the beginnin
Sesana
I like the basic concept of The Agency. A group of female spies in Victorian England! It sounds fabulous. A woman posing as a servant, a governess, for example, or a lady's maid or companion, could overhear and quietly collect a lot of things. So I came in ready to love this series.

Unfortunately, Mary Quinn goes directly from being informed that the Agency exists to arriving at her first job. She is apparently given "intensive" training in between, but we don't see even a moment of it. And I don
Nafiza
This read like a dream. Yes, I said it. Now if you are anything like me and your bibliophilic life started with raunchy mills and boons (Australian and Kiwi editions) and then widened to include historical romance (which were just as raunchy but did teach me a lot about Bonaparte) you will have some level of familiarity with historical novels boasting of a strong heroine and an intriguing hero. This, I hasten to add, is not to imply that The Agency is a romance novel. Oh no, far from it. Or that ...more
Lexy S.C.
May 26, 2016 Lexy S.C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like historical fiction and I love mysteries! This book was really good and did not disappoint. The plot was great and the characters were very charming. Very well written, too.
Priscilla
Feb 25, 2012 Priscilla rated it really liked it
Quick paced, fun, and yes, a cute mystery read! Ah, YA, you are my comfort zone. :)

Initial Thoughts:
1. Great female protagonist! Mary Quinn is strong, independent, determined, and a smart character. She really breaks through society's expectations of 'hollow housewife', and takes risks in finding the necessary information for the case.
2. Ah, sweet romantic tension. This novel is not overly romantic, but the tense relationship between Mary and James is just cute. Seriously, how they meet made me
Minli
Mar 11, 2012 Minli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh, the Agency. I read you in hopes of reading a version of the Gallagher Girls (spy school!) in the Victorian period (petticoats!), but alas. Here are the ways in which you disappointed me:

1. You play Victorian dress-up, but really, you're a modern girl at heart who likes to swear and call boys by their first names. Also, being a "lady"--I do not think it means what you think it means.

2. I was teased completely by Mary being half-Chinese, but then Lee spoke very little to that experience. That
Tara Chevrestt
A must read for fans of historical fiction, mystery, and strong heroines. Picture Nancy Drew living in Victorian England and you have the new spunky Mary Lang aka Mary Quinn.

An orphan destined for the gallows, Mary is rescued by a school for girls that is an agency on the side. Her first assignment: Pose as a lady's companion and extract as much information as she can about stolen goods from India. We meet an interesting cast of characters as Mary becomes embroiled in more than the bargained for
Sara Grochowski
First read: 6/28/2010
Second read: 4/17/2016 (Just as wonderful as the first time around!!)

I sometimes find that novels with historical settings can be a bit dry, but Y.S. Lee has rekindled my love affair with Victorian England. A SPY IN THE HOUSE is a fast paced read, narrated by a feisty heroine, bursting with mystery, lies, greed, secret alliances, and, of course, romance.

With her quick wit and adventuresome spirit, Mary Quinn has quickly become one of my favorite main characters! A SPY IN THE
Paige  *an exploding fluffball* Bookdragon
description

I thought this is a mystery, action packed book with a dash of romance.

The mystery?
I didn't feel anything.

The action?
Me:I want some dirty fist fight and "running around in London while being chased by the damn crooks" moment.

The book: LOL!No!

The romance?
Give me love! Give me love!
Rachel
Aug 07, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-books
Very disappointed in this one as the premise was quite promising. Set in Victorian London, a 17 year old girl goes undercover as a paid ladies companion in a wealthy family to uncover a smuggling scheme. The girl is a student of 'the agency' - a group that takes poor, smart girls and turns them into spies for hire.

One of the things that really caught my attention about this book is that the author has a Phd in Victorian literature and culture. I expected the book to 'ring-true' in terms of the p
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
3.5 stars.

I loved the concept of this book. I mean, a school in Victorian London that trains working class girls to NOT be reliant on men for an income or a roof over their heads? And a school that's actually secretly an agency that sends women out on covert missions for Scotland Yard or whoever, because nobody pays attention to maids and housekeepers and companions? PERFECTION.

I also loved that Mary is a mixed race protagonist. This fact doesn't come out until half way through the book, but I
Maud
Jan 26, 2015 Maud rated it it was amazing
Mystery was good, main character was awesome, loved the romantic interest and the ending was amazing. Go pick up this book right now!
Watch my full review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT8hC...
Amber
Jun 20, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this first book in The Agency series follows sixteen year old half-Irish, half-Chinese Mary Lang/Quinn, a female espionage working for the mysterious Agency. A Spy in the House is full of witty banters and a charming male lead with an acerbic sense of humor. I will admit that occasionally the banter stretches to the point of being unnecessary that I forget about the plot. I’d be enjoying the fighting so much that after Mary and James finally do stop fighting, I remember, OH. RIGHT ...more
Jaclyn
A Spy in the House follows reformed thief, Mary Quinn, when she starts her first assignment for the mysterious women's detective agency run by her school headmistresses. Mary is placed in the Thorold household as a paid companion for the family's daughter, Angelica. Mary's mission is to use her position to investigate the suspicious shipping company that Mr. Thorold runs. Mary ends up becoming more embroiled than she was intended, eventually unraveling the mystery. However, she also learns about ...more
Kristi
Jul 24, 2010 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, I was really apprehensive about reading this novel. I was intrigued by the summary, I loved the cover, but I was lax about picking it up. And even now, I'm not exactly sure why I was hesitant to start it. But I'm glad I finally read it because I was pleasantly surprised!

The setting itself was enthralling... the cobblestone streets and smelly river of Victorian England, don't tell me that didn't get your attention! I even managed to learn a few things, that is always a positive.
Nikki
I found A Spy in the House to be pretty entertaining, but fluffy. It didn't require much thought or attention: I wasn't bothered by Mum's snoring in the background (a flight from the UK to Italy is so tiring), or the conversations going on just outside the hotel room. Fun, but not taxing.

The whole idea is quite fun: an academy for girls who're down on their luck (the main character is rescued from the gallows in the opening of the book), which can lead -- for some -- into becoming spies, in the
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
This book seemed sooooooo good. Well maybe... it didn't seem, maybe it was.

I can't wait to read the next book.
Amy
Apr 26, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I completely forgot how much I love mysteries. I LOVE THEM A LOT.
There are many things I love in books: spies, mysteries, England (back in the day), hot guys, and disguises. And these are just some. I love EVERYTHING about this book.

I love Y.S. Lee’s writing style. I love the way she captures the time period, the amazingness of Mary, the total hotness and amazingness of James, the suspense and mystery of the plotline, and the way she had me guessing up until the very end. When describing everyth
Jubilation Lee
So here’s a pet peeve of Monica’s: Characters in books that are supposed to have all sorts of skills or attributes, whether beauty or cunning or archery or whatever, but who actually suck at whatever it is they’re supposed to be doing.

I can’t think of an example offhand, except for this book I am about to review. But I know there are a million of them out there, because this is a frequent complaint of mine.

Books like this drive me crazy, kids, because dammit, it’s like… don’t TELL me, author, ju
Nisha
I'm impressed. I've discovered another historical fiction YA book that gives me the same thrills that Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy does. True, Mary "Jacky" Faber is much more show-offy than the blending-in-the-wallpaper heroine, Mary Lang, but they're both ballsy YA heroines.

Mary Lang, our heroine, was rescued from the gallows at age 12 to attend Miss Scrimshaw’s Academy for Girls. 5 years later, teaching has become a bore and she long
Lindsey
I enjoyed this but did not love it. Spy/Secret agent books have never been a favorite of mine. However I found myself liking parts of this book while reading.

First it's a quick read, it might seem long to most but once you start you keep reading. Even for someone who does not like Spy books I found myself wanting to finish it. I wish I could have given it a higher rating but it got 3 stars from me.

It's London in the 1850s and everything is going to change for Mary Quinn. She is offered to atte
Sherwood Smith
I've begun reading this, and about a third of the way through.

Things I like: Mary potentially being other than white bread (though there is very little hint of that so far). The idea of the agency--women trained as spies. Mary relying on her brains and wits. I like Angelica's complexity, and the hint that the mother is not the namby-pamby witless woman she seems.

Things that put me off: In spite of the careful research about London of the time that is shouldered in here and there, the story doesn
Miriam
Aug 17, 2010 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, mystery, victorian
I was surprised to see from the author bio that Lee has a PhD in Victorian literature and culture, since to me the historical authenticity was the weakest aspect of this book. The characters, particularly our heroine Mary, seem like modern people plonked down in a prior century; their speech and attitudes are not Victorian, and they buck constantly against the norms and mores of the period.

I wished that improbable feistiness wasn't Mary's only personality trait. Also, she kind of sucked at bein
Susan Crowe
This was a great book. Just a good, old fashioned mystery. No vulgar language. A great reading experience. Already have the next in the series on hold at the library.
Anne Hamilton
Aug 24, 2015 Anne Hamilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Surprising, surprising, surprising.

The whole premise of the book is never underestimate a woman. And how cleverly the author plays with that notion.

Orphaned Mary Lang is sentenced to hang for theft when she is saved by a wardess and sent to Miss Scrimshaw's Academy for Girls. There she is schooled to be a lady and educated in many useful subjects. As she grows older, she begins to tutor the younger girls. But it's not enough for her restless mind and depth of intelligence.

Expressing her boredom
Mandiann
A cute but predictable mystery novel. (view spoiler)

It was a funny, enjoyable read. It drew me in right away. I was quite pleasantly surprised with this book and may even continue the series.
Small Review
Originally posted on Small Review

I had such high expectations for this series, but it failed pretty much every single one of them.

I didn't get along with main character Mary at all and found her thoroughly dislikable. She made some stupid choices and broke all the wrong rules for all the wrong reasons. There is supposedly another seasoned spy on assignment as well (undercover even from novice Mary) and all I could think of was this better spy facepalming the entire time as Mary runs amok all ove
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Feb 20, 2015 09:30AM
Young Adult Histo...: A Spy In The House - April 2013 9 29 Apr 28, 2013 06:33PM
Palito de Café: A spy in the house 1 9 Feb 28, 2013 06:40AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: A Spy in the House 1 3 Jul 18, 2012 02:41PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: A Spy in the House 1 3 May 30, 2012 05:21AM
  • The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes, #4)
  • Palace of Spies (Palace of Spies, #1)
  • Prisoners in the Palace
  • Wrapped (Wrapped, #1)
  • Folly
  • Deception (Lady Grace Mysteries, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)
  • Cate of the Lost Colony
  • The Diamond of Drury Lane (Cat Royal, #1)
  • The Pale Assassin (Pimpernelles, #1)
  • The Girl is Murder (The Girl is Murder, #1)
  • Death in the Air (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Education of Bet
  • The Other Countess (The Lacey Chronicles, #1)
  • Fallen Grace
  • The FitzOsbornes in Exile (The Montmaray Journals, #2)
  • Strings Attached
  • Betraying Season (Leland Sisters, #2)
Y S Lee was born in Singapore, raised in Vancouver and Toronto, and lived for a spell in England. As she completed her PhD in Victorian literature and culture, she began to research a story about a girl detective in 1850s London. The result was her debut novel, The Agency: A Spy in the House. This won the Canadian Children’s Book Centre’s inaugural John Spray Mystery Award in 2011.

The Agency quart
More about Y.S. Lee...

The Agency (4 books)
  • The Body at the Tower (The Agency, #2)
  • The Traitor in the Tunnel (The Agency, #3)
  • Rivals in the City (The Agency, #4)

“He laughed, then became serious once more. "Mary............"
The expression in his eyes set her heart pounding. "Yes?"
Twice he began to frame a sentence, and twice his voice seemed to fail him.
And she thought she understood. What could he possibly say to her now, when he was on the verge of leaving forever? Even something as simple as asking her to write to him carried a distinct sort of promis, the type of promise he was ten years and a half a world removed from being able to make.
She forced a polite smile and held out her hand. "Good luck, James."
Regret-and relief-flooded his eyes. he took her hand, cradling it for a long moment. "And to you."
It was foolish to linger. She slid her fingers from his grasp, turned, and began to walk away in the direction of the Academy. She'd gone about thirty paces when she heard his voice.
"Mary!"
She spun about. "What is it?"
"Stay out of wardrobes!"
She laughed, shook her head, and began to walk again. She was smiling this time.”
55 likes
“It's terrifying, to be on the verge of finally getting what you want.” 41 likes