Start by marking “Little Moon Dog” as Want to Read:
Little Moon Dog

Little Moon Dog

The Man in the Moon and his Little Moon Dog live peacefully on the moon. Until a busload of rowdy tourists—fairies!—arrives. Moon Dog ventures out to meet them and has marvelous fun. But one day, he wakes to find the fickle fairies have led him astray, far from his cozy home and dearest friend. Will he ever find his way back to the moon?

Under the luminous beauty of a fant

Published March 15th 2007 by Dutton Juvenile (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Little Moon Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Moon Dog

Logan
Nov 02, 2010 Logan rated it liked it
After our success with Ward's "Unwitting Wisdom: An Anthology of Aesop's Fables," I put several of her books on hold at the library. Her illustrations were so good in UW, I was surprised to find that many of her books are illustrated by other people. Little Moon Dog is illustrated charmingly by Wayne Anderson, but I would have rather had Ward do it. In any case, Logan enjoyed it. He doesn't read, but he goes through the books first and tries to figure out what the story is about. He was confused ...more
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Fantastic! A fairy book that boys could love too.... The Man in the Moon and his Dog live in peace and quiet for most of the year, except when the noisy, naughty fairies come for their annual holidays in the summer. A beguilingly simple tale, but with many hidden messages. New friends aren't always what you think they are, or indeed what you want or need. Your old friends will always love you and take you back. And a fat dog with fake wings is always going to be funny. Wonderful illustrations ...more
The Brothers
Feb 06, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Little Moon Dog and the Man in the Moon always hunker down to wait out the arrival of some very naughty fairies on their summer vacation. But Little Moon Dog is getting bored of hanging around the house without anything to do. So out he goes to play with the fairies. He has such a good time, that he ends up going back to earth with them. But once home again, the fairies loose interest in the little dog because they are too busy causing mischief elsewhere. Luckily, Little Moon Dog has a faithful ...more
Amanda Carpenter
Aug 29, 2012 Amanda Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Yes, I even like to read children's picture books sometimes too. I thought this one was really good. It had a very good story, a good moral to the story. It was very nicely illustrated too. I would recommend it for any child.
Dolly
Nov 18, 2008 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Odd story about the Man from the Moon, some troublesome fairies and a little Moon Dog who wants to have fun. The illustrations are luminously whimsical, yet almost eerie. The overall message of the story is about faithful friendship and companionship.
Lillian
Jul 18, 2016 Lillian rated it really liked it
I have read this book aloud to my 10 grands and last night to my great niece in my camper. It is a sweet story with a message. The illustrations are beautiful. We never tire of reading this story over and over. But only on camping trips.
Clacie
Oct 06, 2014 Clacie rated it really liked it
The best part of this book for me was the pictures. Absolutely beautiful. The story was good too, with a good lesson for the kids.
Jen
Jul 19, 2008 Jen added it
Shelves: edn-344-books
A great story about choosing friends wisely. The illustrations have a very magical feeling. (Choice)
Paula
Jan 04, 2012 Paula rated it liked it

Little Moon Dog plays with the mischievous fairies who come to tour the moon, but he later realizes that the Man in the Moon is his true friend.
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Dyani
Dyani rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2009
Tami
Tami rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Pinky
Pinky rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Charlene
Charlene rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2009
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
C.M
C.M rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Gabe
Gabe rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Gayle
Gayle rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Bug
Bug rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2015
Ririn
Apr 01, 2009 Ririn rated it it was ok
This book is really subjective XD uhm, I dunno...
Maddie
Maddie rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Allie Riley
Allie Riley rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Staci
Staci rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2009
Erroll Treslan
Erroll Treslan rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Helen Ward won the first Walker Prize for Children’s Illustration and twice won the British National Art Library Award. She has also been short-listed for the 2003 Kate Greenaway Medal. She lives in Gloucestershire, England.
More about Helen Ward...