Start by marking “One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,069 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
With more than 200,000 copies in print, Storey's One-Skein Wonders series is an unqualified success. Now, for the first time in the series, fabric takes center stage! And the timing couldn't be better. Sewing machine sales have doubled over the past 10 years, and crafters are discovering the joy of another kind of stitching."One-Yard Wonders" will delight anyone who has ev ...more
Published April 5th 2013 by Storey Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about One-Yard Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One-Yard Wonders

Marie Z. Johansen
Dec 03, 2009 Marie Z. Johansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sewing
I was not quite sure just what I would think of this book when I first saw. I think I was leery of the title - only because I tend to dislike titles like ' fast, fun easy' or fun & quick'. Don't get me wrong we all need a quick fix at times and more or less instant result can be a very good thing sometimes too...I am just one of those people who stills likes real letters and finds more comfort in slow cloth than quick and easy.

The first thing I noticed about this book is it's quality. It's a
I love this book. I am so glad that I bought it, because it has served me very well.

One-Yard Wonders is a book of sewing projects that require only 1 yard of fabric (or less). This idea was terribly appealling to me, because I always find fabrics that I absolutely love, but have no idea what I might do with them. I now buy a yard of it, come home, and open this book to find out what my fabirc will become. To be sure, I usually have to run back to the fabric store to pick up some interfacing or
Sep 03, 2010 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: members of the denver sewing collective
Shelves: sewing
Ah, One Yard Wonders where have you been all my life. I am not the most widely creative person. I need help, inspiration, a burly muse that will nudge me (shove me) in the creative direction. I have a ton of one yard or less pieces of fabric. What seamstress or crafter doesn't? This book has a many ideas for those one yard or less scraps that are taking up precious space. I really enjoyed this book, it offered many ideas for those leftover scraps. The book is sprial bound which I like, lays nice ...more
Jan 07, 2011 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sewing-fiber-art
One Yard Wonders is a beautifully photographed book, with engaging and fun projects. I liked the fabrics used, the intro to fabric at the beginning, and the overall tone of the book. The look and feel of the cover implies the book is for beginners and yet the instructions are lacking the detail a beginner would need. For example, in some projects it's not clear whether a step should be sewed by hand or by machine. The wording in some of the instructions was unclear to me as a beginner. So I'd re ...more
Nov 15, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craftycrafty, 2012
I'm pretty familiar with this series from the massively popular one-skein wonder knitting books. They tend to be more about quantity of patterns rather than quality, and this book is no exception -- there is a fanny pack pattern, I kid you not. But because there are a ton of patterns, there's something for everyone (due to the one-yard limitation, especially if you sew for kids), and I have to give kudos to the spiral-bound format which I will forever blather about LOVING for craft and cookbooks ...more
Mar 26, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I use this book all the time.
Jun 02, 2011 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sewing
This book is exactly what the title implies. Most of the projects didn't appeal to me personally. However, I may get it from the library at some point for the following projects:

Petite Diaper Tote
Toddler Pinafore Smock Top
Child's Messenger Bag
Go Fly a Kite (I find the idea of sewing a kite particularly intriguing.)

Lindsey Jane
This book contains various projects that use one yard of fabric or less. A great stash buster book. However, many of the projects are simple. Many can be found for free on the internet. Some of the directions would be very difficult for a new sewer to follow along with.
Gina House
Mar 21, 2011 Gina House rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book full of fun sewing projects using only one yard of fabric. The only thing I would change would be to add a difficulty rating for each pattern. I'm a very beginner sewer (?) and sone of the projects were a bit above my level- and it was frustrating.
Melissa Barton
Aug 07, 2014 Melissa Barton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely a feast for the eyes. I always appreciate books with cute fabrics and colors--I just find them so inspiring. That said, many of these projects are things you can find online or they are geared towards children so that is something you may want to consider. I didn't find any of the projects to be overwhelming but I consider myself a moderately skilled seamstress. As a previous reviewer stated, it would be helpful to give a difficulty level for the projects as well to help ...more
Jan 02, 2013 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! This book has all sorts of projects, from a smocked pillow to pajamas to a baby jacket to a pet bed. There should be something here for everyone.

Patterns are included. The more complicated pieces are in there; for simple rectangle pieces, you need to measure and cut yourself.

There are several projects in this book I'd like to try; there's a lunch bag and a stuffed dinosaur and a children's jumper. But the first project I tried was a pinafore:

It turned out well. The instructions wer
Feb 13, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home, reference
This book has an excellent introduction with a useful list of sewing essentials, fabric information, tips on cutting, fabric preparation, good sewing practices and a bit of terminology to get you started, not to mention the glossary at the back of the book. The instructions themselves are clear and easy to follow with excellent illustrations and diagrams for how to layout the patter for maximum and efficient fabric use and how to bring the pieces together. Each project also has tips on the best ...more
Apr 09, 2010 JayeL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quilt, 2010
I heard about Rebecca Yaker and her book, One Yard Wonders, from Jennifer Ackerman-Haywood of CraftSanity. Jennifer did a podcast interview with Rebecca and I ended up with the book from the Library!

First, I love the look of this book. It is lay flat spiralbound with a hard cover. It is well designed in terms of color. Each page has a bit of fabric on the edge to add interest. I wasn't that excited about the fabric chosen for the projects. It simply is not my style, however I found that the fabr
Dec 18, 2013 Dree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafting
Seems like a clever concept.

The patterns largely look like they are for beginners. But the directions are rather short, and can be incredibly confusing--you need to know basic construction to figure some of this out, or to just make it work your own way.

Granny's Clothespin Apron: calls for cutting 4 ties, 2 is plenty; the binding is cut very wide and is strangely attached; an odd construction for the ties.

Smock of All Ages: the pattern pieces do not fit into the 1 washed yard of quilting weight
Sonja Isaacson
I have been looking through sewing books at the library since it may be out new household hobby. I like the theory of this book - making something without tons of fabric since I would prefer this not to be an expensive hobby.

While there are a lot of cute things in this book, for the most part these are not things I would make. I am not super interested in creating a lot of household things that just end up being fairly useless "stuff". We also don't need a whole slew of bags - we have so many f
Dec 31, 2014 Mindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the pictures in this book were beautiful. I thought the instructions were clear and well written. I loved that it came with pattern pieces. The problem with this book is the projects. In the whole book I found 3 projects that I was interested in making. This book is definitely aimed towards sewers with small kids. I am not the target audience any more. I'm glad I didn't purchase this book.
Jan 06, 2016 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts-etc
I've made several things out of this book, and the instructions are easy to follow for beginners. My only complaint is the sizing: I realize that you do need to be small to wear only one yard of fabric, but it would have been nice to include instructions for altering the pattern for various sizes.
Jul 23, 2014 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
101 sewing projects for things you can make out of just one yard of fabric. Pattern pieces are included for many of the projects. I only found one time in the book that I would like to make and did not want to remove the pattern from the pocket (since this was a library issued book).
May 16, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
I got this book from NetGalley there are SO many cute projects for toddlers and babies, that it is well worth the price, especially the print edition with the paper patterns.
Mar 12, 2014 Mckinley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft, non-fiction, sew
Lots of ideas and patterns for making items for the home and to wear for females, babies and even pets.
Apr 06, 2016 Justine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for anyone who wants simple, quick sewing projects. Great gift ideas too!
Heydi Smith
Love this book and all the fabulous totally doable ideas.
Sep 05, 2013 Kricket rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2013, sewing
i have to admit i'm a little biased (HARHARHAR) because my sister has two patterns in this book, but the one i started with (bias skirt) was not one of hers. sewed up nice & easy for my first adult machine-made wearable.

ALTHOUGH- if you do make this particular pattern, it totally takes more than one yard of fabric, unless your yard is cut in such a way that fabric stores will rarely cut fabric. i bought two yards in case of mistakes and wound up using them both in one go.

still, love the bo
Anne Hawn Smith
Nov 01, 2014 Anne Hawn Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a take off on the wildly popular 101 knitting books and it is just as good. There are a number of quick and easy gift ideas and a lot of small sewn items that help to organize the sewing room as well as the house. There are patterns in the back of the book that you can trace off for your projects making it much more likely that you'll actually do the craft. I read though the instructions on a number of projects and found them very clear and easy to understand. If you like to sew, it is w ...more
Mar 21, 2014 Guin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sewing, craft
Plenty of ideas to chose from for only one yard of fabric.
Jan 15, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of fun projects in this book. I think most of these things could be sought out for free online, but frankly, I find pattern surfing to be such a time suck. I've decided to invest in several good knitting and sewing books that I can reference when I want to do a project instead of logging on. I find that i get a lot more done this way with fewer distractions.

I've made several things from this book already. My favorite so far was the little house. I also like the good day hat.
Feb 05, 2010 Missy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts-and-arts
I enjoyed the nice balance of instruction, inspiration and idea spurring. And the book design is fun, functional and approachable. There are many pictures and even patterns. The addition of the patterns makes the cost of the book a steal! I am an intermediate level sewer, give or take, and I found it easy to follow the directions for the 3 things that I have made from this book. I even picked up some new tips and was able to work from the ideas in the book to make my own modified design.
Apr 01, 2010 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft-design, own_it
EKW gave me this book for Christmas and I have to say, it is awesome. I haven't made any of the patterns out of it yet, but I do have fabric for two of them and I can't wait to get started. Projects range from things you can use around the home (laundry bag, aprons, etc) to wearables (skirt, PJ tops & bottoms) to things for pets and all manner of other small-ish items. It's very colorful and modern, and overall I was thrilled to receive it and stayed thrilled as I paged through the projects.
Jun 22, 2010 Marjanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-sew-etc
Sewing is kind of my new obsession. I checked this book out from the library (on the new arrivals shelf, my fave), took it home, looked through it twice and decided that borrowing this book was not going to be enough. I had to own it. And now I do. There are so many fun projects and ideas; I can't wait to start planning my next projects. The instructions seem fairly easy to follow and nothing all that over complicated and some direction on techniques that I haven't learned yet. Yea!
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
  • Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
  • Sewing Bits and Pieces: 35 Projects Using Fabric Scraps
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • A Rainbow of Stitches: Embroidery and Cross-Stitch Basics Plus More Than 1,000 Motifs and 80 Project Ideas
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • Sew & Stow: 31 Fun Sewing Projects to Carry, Hold, and Organize Your Stuff, Your Home, and Yourself!
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish