Start by marking “Her Ladyship's Companion” as Want to Read:
Her Ladyship's Companion

Her Ladyship's Companion

Condemned to a loveless marriage, Lady Isabella Stirling indulges herself by taking a lover. But even though she knows Gideon Rosedale's passion was for sale, she's fallen in love with him.
Published May 1st 2009 by Berkley Books

Rane
I’m always willing to check out new authors, more then not ,many still need a little work but this book was a great first for Evangeline Collins!
Collins keeps the same pace throughout the book only picking up at the climax. I never felt I wanted to skip any part because of to much talking, not enough action- she wrote the perfect balance between both. She also gave you wonderful insight into both Bella’s and Gideon’s thoughts, that you never felt you need to assume this or that. You knew where
Eastofoz
Nov 19, 2009 Eastofoz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers looking for a twist on the courtesan theme
Recommended to Eastofoz by: audball & Rane
This book starts out quite well but just over halfway the plot starts to fizzle and it meanders until the end which is a shame because it’s an original story line with a vivid writing style.

The story is about a woman who was married off young to a horrible man because she was caught in a compromising situation with the stable boy. The crazed husband visits her infrequently throughout the year and leaves her at their country home. She’s bored out of her tree and relishes the sporadic visits from
Tammy Walton Grant
4.5 stars (both times I read it)

Her Ladyship's Companion was the second courtesan-themed book I read in February. The irony of reading about buying love with money right around Valentine's Day does not escape me, but perhaps the real irony is that these two books have been the most romantic I have read in months.

I LOVED this book. I loved the premise, so unusual in a historical - a reverse Pretty Woman, if you will and it was done well so that I believed it. I believed the characters: Isabella,
Ruth
I really enjoyed this book. It has a relatively unusual theme, but it worked for me. It has a great cast of characters, no one is perfect and it doesn't neatly tie up all the loose ends.

The story effectively handles two sides of life of this era which HRs generally either ignore, or paint with a rosy tint: prostitution and marital abuse. Usually prostitutes are women visited by happy, fun-loving aristocrats. Sometimes they are part of the HEA, but more often they are part of the hero's past befo
Nikki
Aug 12, 2011 Nikki rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Peeps who are all about the hero and don't mind immature heroines.
Shelves: own-ebook, 2-stars
2 stars.

While the premise of the story really appealed to me, unfortunately this just didn't fulfill my expectations. And just when I thought that I possibly might DNF it (not something I usually take lightly but have been feeling the urge to more and more lately), it started to pick up.

The reasoning behind my lack of enthusiasm had to do with the slowness of the first quarter of the book and the heroine.

Isabella (Bella) was exhausting. In and out of the bedroom - she suffered an extreme case of
Cheryl
I really, really enjoyed this book! Thank you so much to all my friends, mainly Alycia, for recommending it! It is a wonderful book and not to be missed. Add it to your collection and put it at the top of your to-read list!

I loved both the hero and heroine so very much. Lady Isabella was very sweet but had a very passionate side to her, and she was being punished by her older brother and husband. Her husband was very cruel and I was very excited about what happened to him in the end.

The hero, Gi
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
Charlotte Featherstone
Hot hero. Hot love scenes. Lots of angst and emotion. My kind of romance read. Can't wait for Evangeline's next release!
D.G.
May 11, 2015 D.G. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to D.G. by: Alycia
**2.5 stars**

Her Ladyship’s Companion could have been a really good book, if only the serious aspects of the story weren’t underdeveloped to pander to the salacious ones.

In all my time reading historical romance, I haven’t come across an abused wife as the heroine. I really wish this would have been a bigger component of the plot because it would have created lots of opportunity for angsty conflict. As it was, the bad husband was merely the excuse for the heroine to get a gigolo on retainer.

It
Kathy
Lady Isabella Stirling resides at Bowhill Park in the Scottish countryside. Other than her servants, she is alone. Left by her husband. For months at a time. For five years she has been in a loveless marriage and is basically imprisoned at the estate where she does little more than tend her rose garden. Her betrothal was orchestrated by her brother, Philip, after he had caught her with a lover in the stable on their estate.

One day her cousin, Esme, comes for a visit and makes an outrageous sugg
Natalija
Sep 10, 2016 Natalija rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this book. It was emotionally poignant, heart-wrenching and the main characters were well elaborated and memorable. The relationship development between Isabella and Gideon was believable and trustworthy. They never pretended to be something that they weren't and frankly expressed their desires. Ms. Collins definitely has her own unique voice & I can't wait for her next book to come out (she has only 2 published books at the moment). I highly recom ...more
Rach~The Highlander luverrr
I really liked this book ... it was really entertaining . i loved the HEA the hero was great and not to overpowering .. and the heroine was also very likable ..
Ceren Ünlü
Jan 16, 2015 Ceren Ünlü rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5

kurgu çok güzeldi, çevirisi sıkıntılıydı..
yorum blog da
Carolina
Jun 25, 2015 Carolina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 en realidad
BRNTerri
The story takes place in England and Scotland in 1816 and spans about ten months. The heroine is Isabella ‘Bella’ Stirling. She’s 24 and has been married to Lord Stirling, 34, for almost five years. He’s impotent and they have no relationship of any kind with each other and he’s rarely at home. He’s both physically and verbally abusive toward her. Bella is 5’8″ and has pale blond and violet eyes. She’s terribly unhappy. Her parents are dead and she’s got two brothers and two sisters who have nev ...more
Çisem
Apr 09, 2015 Çisem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

Çeviri o kadar kötüydü ki yani o kadar hani üstüne laf söylenemez :D resmen ilk 150 sayfa konuya giremedim o yüzden :D Kitabın birçok yerinde ne oluyor, kim ne demiş, burası ne alaka diye anlayamamaktan bir hal oldum. Kitabın konusu falan çok güzeldi adam gibi çevrilmiş olsa beşlik kitapta işte rezil etmişler resmen kitabı.

Gideon, yıllardır para karşılığında kadınlarla birlikte olan bir adam, kendini ilişkiye girdiği kadınlardan hep bir uzak tutmuş duygusal duruma girenler oldukça uzaklaşmış
Megan
After an interrupted dalliance with a stableboy, Bella is shoved into a lonely, loveless, abusive marriage and lives an isolated life in Scotland away from her family. Bella's very French cousin hires a high-end prostitute to spend two weeks with Bella. Gideon has been a part of this business for his entire life, but the time he spends with Bella is an awakening for him as well.

Her Ladyship's Companion suffered in comparison to Seven Nights to Forever, which I read first a year ago and thought w
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Gideon was a male prostitute and not looking to settle down and find a wife just yet. Isabella was married for over five years to an absent husband, very lonely in Scotland, and a virgin to boot. Her cousin visits, sees how lonely she is, and hires Gideon for two weeks to give Bella a 'holiday'. During their time together they find in each other what has been missing and they fall deeply in love. Her husband comes home, beats her black and blue for throwing his impotency in his face, and leaves ...more
Mary Kathryn
Jan 09, 2011 Mary Kathryn rated it really liked it
This book reminded me of Pretty Woman just the man is the prostitute not the woman. I had a hard time getting into this book not sure why maybe because I felt like it was overly descriptive at times or maybe because I did have a little trouble getting over the fact that Gideon was a prostitute. But after I got over that and used to the writing I really enjoyed this one. I felt so bad for Isabella. First of all her brother was a jerk and then he marries her off to a even bigger jerk. She did get ...more
Elaine Golden
Feb 19, 2011 Elaine Golden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very unusual hero for this romance. Gideon is a professional prostitute (or modern-day equivalent gigolo) who is hired to be a companion for the heroine. He is the real-deal too --having plied his trade for ten years or more. The heroine, Bella, is also married for most of this romance, so if that squicks you out, stay away.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this romance for it's refreshing & unique relationship and obstacles. Will read more from this author.
Jan
Aug 24, 2015 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on my friend Kat's list...so I sampled it, then downloaded it, then read it.

It was a good book!! I enjoyed the perspective of a male prostitute in Regency England in the early 1800's....I don't think I've ever read a book from that point of view before.

I recommend this book for a fresh look at the standard 'hooker with a heart of gold' , hot lovin' and a well-set pace.
Allure Van Sanz
May 23, 2009 Allure Van Sanz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I know the author personally. So you would expect a good review from me. But in all honesty, the awesome review is heartfelt. I have a hard time completing novels these days and I whipped through this in a day. Sexy! Fun! An historical spin on a reverse Pretty Woman.
Pepa
Histórica erótica, me ha recordado bastante a Robin Schone aunque con un lenguaje mucho menos brusco.
Me ha gustado mucho porque me ha enganchado desde el principio...
Alycia
Jun 28, 2010 Alycia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost done with this one. This is one of the best historical romances I have read. It's sensual, sometimes dark, totally engrossing. I highly recommend this book.
Chelsea
Her Ladyship's Companion was a book that I randomly selected to read on my Kindle because the premise sounded interesting. I had no prior knowledge of the author and I hadn't read any reviews. As with many of my randomly selected books, it was something of a mixed bag, quality wise. I have much to talk about with this book, but I'll try not to ramble.

The book is set in Scotland/England in 1811 and centers around Isabella, a woman in a loveless marriage. Her husband is abusive and hateful, and co
Katyana
Jun 13, 2012 Katyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm.

Well, I liked it, for the most part. Only a couple of criticisms. The first is just that... well, it was just so unrealistic. I mean, okay, HR as a genre is wildly unrealistic, but I have honestly steered clear of the "prostitute that finds true love" Pretty Woman-esque (or Pretty Man, I guess, in this case) historicals because I thought they would stretch my suspension of disbelief past the breaking point. And it did. I kept having to tell myself to stop thinking, this is not even vaguely p
İnci Puyan
3,5 stars

Benim yeni favori tarihi aşk romanı yazarlarımdan biri oldu Evangeline Collins. Yedi Gün Yedi Gece kitabında alışılmışın dışındaki karakterlerle ilgimi çekmişti ama bu kitapta şunu anladım bu kadın aykırılık sınırını tarihi aşk romanlarında taşıyor!

Alıştığımız kurguların dışında derken hiçbir zaman saf, masum kızları ya da dük, kont ya da varlıklı, hovarda, çapkın erkekleri yok bu kadının. Ki bunun yanında olsa da eminim ona bile bir aykırılık yap
Christine
Jane
Dec 23, 2016 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the hero. I had a harder time connecting with the heroine.
Pamela
Sep 05, 2011 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review courtesy of Romance junkies:

Lady Isabella Stirling has been taught to be a proper young lady and abide by the rules of propriety. A moment of passion lands her in a life-altering situation. Her brother witnesses her very secret meeting with a lover. Angry with Isabella, he offers her the only choice she can make... wed a man she knows next to nothing about and be banished from her home.

After five years of marriage and enduring numerous occasions of being left alone, Isabella finds hersel
Win an ARC of Her Ladyship's Companion by Evangeline Collins 1 18 Mar 06, 2009 04:29PM
  • My Only Love
  • Scandal
  • Untouched
  • Sinful (Addicted #2)
  • Broken Wing
  • Touched by Fire
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • To Seduce an Earl (Seduction, #1)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • Once a Rake
  • The School for Brides (School for Brides, #1)
  • Master of Sin (Courtesan Court, #4)
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • The Summer of You (The Blue Raven, #2)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • Bound Forever (Bound, #3)
Evangeline Collins is an award winning author of sensual historical romance. An avid reader, it wasn't until she exhausted her local library's supply of historical romance novels that she decided to try her hand at writing her own. Much to her delight, she discovered a new passion. And she has been hard at work crafting her romances ever since.

Her titles include Her Ladyship’s Companion and Se
More about Evangeline Collins...

“If I could, I would summon the sun for you."

Her step faltered and she looked slowly over to him with a smile full of unexpected joy. "Thank you, but I don't need the sun today."

"And why is that?"

"You're here," she said simply, as if that were answer enough.”
9 likes
“But what the long walk had not done was reveal the cause of the inherent distaste that had sprung out of nowhere overtaking her there under the tree. On the cold, damp grass, or up against the rough tree trunk. He had done it many times without a second thought, and in more challenging situations. It would have been nothing at all to wrap her long legs around his waist, brace one hand against the tree trunk, hold her tight with his other arm, and give the lady exactly what she wanted.

But for some reason he had not been able to do it. For the first time in his life, his body had been willing but his mind had not. Labeling the experience unpleasant would be a severe understatement.”
4 likes