Start by marking “Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)” as Want to Read:
Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)

Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns #6)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  3,158 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
The alien hydrogues have been defeated, driven back into the cores of their planets by an alliance of the Earth Defence Forces, the ancient Ildiran Empire, the Roamer clans and water elemental beings as well as gigantic living 'treeships'. But as the various factions try to pick up the pieces and recover, the wounds may be fatal.
Published July 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Metal Swarm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metal Swarm

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. CoreyDune by Frank HerbertHyperion by Dan SimmonsHouse of Suns by Alastair ReynoldsEnder's Game by Orson Scott Card
Space Opera Fans Favorites
70th out of 247 books — 86 voters
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasLegend by Marie LuCinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera Cass
YA Books That Would Make Great Movies
404th out of 407 books — 467 voters

More lists with this book...

D.w.
Aug 10, 2010 D.w. rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Only one more book to go.

Often during the reviews of this series I cite how timeline is a terrible distraction. The Pregnancy that has gone on forever is now finally over. How a second problem that the author thinks is a triumph is the short vignettes of everyone's story. That still plagues us.

How as a political treatise we have a meglomaniac ruling earth without a checks and balance system. Still the Chairman gets away with terrible horrors and no one stops him.

A new item has come to the surfac
Dave Johnson
man, this really disappointed me. with such a great previous book, i really thought this was going to be amazing. it actually turned out to be my worst fears. anderson finally succumbed to corny characters, predictable plots, and tired conversations. too bad. i guess i'll still read the next one. i guess i have to since it'll be the last in the series. maybe this was a fluke.
Heather
Apr 11, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
It was fairly clear for a few books that the Klikiss were not extinct, and I was eagerly waiting for the moment when they would reappear. I had an image of the Klikiss in mind which was totally destroyed in the first few pages of their appearance. By this point, I shouldn’t be surprised that Anderson created something completely unexpected.

Another expected—and yet surprisingly different—enemy is the faeros. I was fairly certain they would switch sides eventually. Their blending with Rusa’h was
Angus Mcfarlane
Nov 14, 2015 Angus Mcfarlane rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, reviewed
The galaxy at war, humanity at war with itself and a new, ruthless enemy enters the scene. There are enough mysteries left in this saga to keep things interesting but there seemed much that was contrived to keep the plot alive in the present so the deeper history could be drawn out. The utter power difference between the elementals and terrestrial creatures suggests the latter should be easily eliminated; a leader as dysfunctional as Wenceslas would surely have been removed - these were issues ...more
John D'alessio
Dec 07, 2010 John D'alessio rated it it was ok
The plot lines in this series were very interesting, and it was just enough to keep me reading it through to the end, but I found the writing repetitive, than tiresome and finally flat out boring.

Anderson writes each chapter as if you may have forgotten the setting laid down previously...I get it that the roamers are inventive, I get it that Ildarians can feel each other through some sort of psychic link, and I get it that the Chairman is distrustful of others...you don't need to continually be
Jason
Mar 19, 2009 Jason rated it it was amazing
This is great science fiction - excellent character development, complex story arcs and just pure excitement to read. I'm glad I got into the Saga of Seven Suns series after 5 of them had been published as it would have killed me to have to wait long periods in between publishing each book.
Kim
Sep 10, 2012 Kim rated it it was ok
I had been enjoying this series of seven books but it could have ended at book five. I am now just reading them to complete the set and am finding that I just want it to end already so I can go on to another book...something different.
Dianna Steiger
Oct 02, 2016 Dianna Steiger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Continuing down the Spiral

One of the names for the area of Space they are in is The Spiral Arm and that is a perfect word to describe these works, for a spiral can continue on for a very long time and you can roll forward or backward to find the threads that make it great.
Thackshila
Sep 28, 2016 Thackshila rated it really liked it
Nearly at the end of the journey, the story has lost it's momentum. The plot does get even more complicated, but it's slowly drifting towards... I don't know... messy? Too many villains and I can't really see how Mr.Anderson is planning to get himself out of this in a single book.

never the less, 4 stars for innovation. The various components are still working, and it would appear that they will form a giant single tapestry of clockworks.
Ok then, On to the seventh book!
Paul
Feb 10, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, part 6 in the series, takes place in the far future, after a brutal galactic war. Klikiss robots pretended to be humanity’s friend, building soldier compies (battle computers) for the Earth Defense Forces in their war against the hydrogues. The compies were all programmed to turn against their human hosts at a particular moment, killing thousands and stealing many Earth battleships. Sirix, the leader of the robots, uses these Earth battleships to attack undefended Earth colonies.

The l
Stephanie
Nov 19, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Précis The hydrogues were defeated in the last volume and now both the Hansa and the Ildirans are picking up the pieces. King Peter is strengthening his newly founded Confederation on Theroc and Basil Wenceslas, chairman of the Hansa is slowly losing his grip as he tries to discredit the Confederation and hang on to the colonies.
The new Ildiran Mage-Imperator Jora'h is taking a new approach to his position much to the dismay of many Ildirans, which eventually puts him in harm's way. Adding to h
Aqiul Colombowala
Apr 18, 2016 Aqiul Colombowala rated it liked it
After the crushing defeat of the hydrogues in the last book, things should have been more peaceful in our little universe. But sadly new enemies have cropped up and the EDF is out on witch hunts to crush the planets signing up with King Peter.

This book was average I'd say and as usual, except for the last 50 pages or so the action was spread out into small patches here and there. Davlin is the best character in this book followed closely by Rlinda Kett and Bebob.

The book is full of plot holes at
Chris Evans
Jul 01, 2016 Chris Evans rated it liked it
*sigh*

I'm not sure where Kevin Anderson is going with all this. His narrative is turning into a bit of a mess. I had hoped, with the end of the Elemental war in the last book, he could bring things back down into a more streamline narrative. No such luck

(view spoiler)
Don Viecelli
Jun 13, 2012 Don Viecelli rated it really liked it
From my Newsletter Number 24:

I finished reading the next book from Kevin J. Anderson, Metal Swarm, the sixth book in The Saga of Seven Suns series of seven books. It is amazing to me how the author continues to build out the storyline and characters after six books.

Metal Swarm begins with the bettlelike Klikiss returning to reclaim their worlds from anyone who lives there. Everyone on the Klikiss planets is helpless against them and many will die trying to escape. The Klikiss robots are losing
Michel
Nov 20, 2015 Michel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kevin J. Anderson! Faut pas pousser bobonne dans les orties, gast.

Tot daar aan toe dat Star Trekgewijsde Ildiranen er menselijk uitzien.Maar als ik even oplijst: er zijn mensen die met Ildiranen kinderen krijgen, er zijn mensen die met boomachtige aliens versmelten, er zijn mensen die met waterachtige aliens versmelten, er zijn Ildiranen die met vuurachtige aliens versmelten, en er zijn begot zelfs mensen die metinsekt-achtige aliens versmelten.

Herhaal met mij, Anderson: DNA is geen universele s
Allan
Jun 13, 2014 Allan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had been about four years since I put down Of Fire and Night so, on picking up Metal Swarm, I find not much has changed but the story rages on. When one enemy falls another arises only this time it's two of them - the Faeros and the long lost Klikiss. The Faeros are being directed by ex-Ildiran nut-job Rusa'h and basically burning everything in sight while the Klikiss simply want their old worlds back and woe betide anyone foolish enough to have colonized them.

On top of that lot the human pol
Sebastien
Mar 15, 2012 Sebastien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fan de la série seven suns
Shelves: science-fiction
Pour faire suite au livre précédent, comme on a eu droit à un final très surprenant, on est maintenant rendu au point où il faut relance la finale des retombé de ce conflit. Le début de ce livre est un peu lent, mais c'est a comprendre car il y a des points à introduire.

J'ai eu un peu peur quand j'ai commencer ce livre car je me demandais bien comment l'auteur pouvait continuer le reste de son histoire sur plus de 1000 pages quand le principale de l'histoire a été traité dans le dernier livre. H
Warren Dunham
Jul 09, 2015 Warren Dunham rated it really liked it
Ok this series continues to grow on me. At first i was only a little into it but the more it goes on the more I feel for the characters the action drives fast tension is well managed from chapter to chapter, and it really takes epic to the next level it kinda reminds me of star wars but the jedi arn't epic enough, Dune would probably be another good similer example.
My one complaint is this is the first book that doesn't feel like it wraps up and stands by itself. well maybe not stand by itself d
Danny
Jan 12, 2012 Danny rated it it was amazing
This one was slow at the start, but built up steam as it progressed to the end. Anderson leads you to believe that the war in the Spiral Arm is over, but as often happens in reality things just keep getting worse! With the help of the wentals, and verdani the humans and the strange yet compelling allies of the humans, the Illdrans, might yet survive the continuing war.
The Kilkiss(an ancient and very alien race believed to be extinct) are back, and the irrationality of the Hansa Chairman lead t
Paul
Mar 18, 2010 Paul rated it liked it
For this one I started in book six or seven of a giantic epic. Fortunately there was a rather large recap of the last five books at the beginning so I wasn't lost. Andersons universe is peppered with hundreds of subplots and characters. Basically we got a number of groups of human confederations fighting against black robots (created by a race of bugs). Those bugs have resurfaced to destroy the robots and use the humans as of new DNA so they can fight against each other. There are also subwars ...more
Michelle
Nov 02, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
I like these books by Kevin Anderson because each chapter follows a character. They are great for reading in places where you have small snippets of time like the bathroom, the doctors office, the car waiting to pick up kids, on the morning train, etc. The chapters are short 3-4 pages and only follow one character at a time so it's not too confusing. The characters are also richly developed and the plot is always thickening. Just when you think you've figured it out the author throws something ...more
John Shumway
Jul 27, 2010 John Shumway rated it liked it
** Save review for the series:
This was a fun series to read. The semi long winded way of writing reminds me of the Dune prequels and conclusions he helped write. Not that I'm really complaining it’s just a lot to get through.
The story is big but the character list is bigger, and you get plenty of detail. I was able to read the entire series with only 1 or 2 forced distraction books to get a break from the story. Which for me means it’s pretty good if I don't get too sick of it after 7 books.
If
Nor'dzin Pamo
Jun 17, 2011 Nor'dzin Pamo rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Book 6 of the Saga and I thought it was pretty good. Having been told this was the weakest book of the 7 I was pleasantly surprised. A few of the story lines from earlier books that seemed like irrelevant red herrings came back and proved that there was some point to them. I felt this book was better written than some of the earlier ones with more skillful descriptions. The characters were more filled out and the story moved at a good pace. I am looking forward to seeing how it all gets wrapped ...more
Suzichka
Sep 10, 2012 Suzichka rated it liked it
Yes, a lot of reading and many races, characters and interplanetary history in this part of the saga. Once you invest the time to learn all the societies and main characters, you just keep on reading. The characters are well defined, and clearly for the good of others or out for themselves, and so make this an easy read.. A relief in a complicated world to read about shining right and blatant wrong themes. I read this a little while ago, but wanted to remember it so will make this my first post ...more
Vincent Wood
Mar 12, 2011 Vincent Wood rated it it was ok
Where book five was fun and exciting, book six was tedious and boring at times, almost as bad as the first book. A lot of plot occurred in book five, but the story did not end there. Several plot threads still need wrapping up plus an almost new thread that was only hinted at in earlier books has blossomed in this book. Still, the final part of the book was good enough to give me hope that the seventh and final book of the series might be a good one.
Eric Venditti
Sep 13, 2009 Eric Venditti rated it really liked it
As the previous book this one kept me asking for more. The more I read this serie the more I wish they will make a movie from it and in the same way I am so sure I would be disappointed. Sometime I wish some of the caracters' interactions would be more developed but in this case it might take a couple more books, which I would not complain about. So excited about reading the last book of the serie finally.
Rhenda Strub
Aug 23, 2008 Rhenda Strub rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to finish the series.
Very disappointing. The previous books in this series had enough good writing in them to keep me interested. But, this is the case of an author who has fallen victim to his own success. He must have fired every competent editor and he's just vomiting every thought in his head. Some of it is really awful.
Scott Lee
Aug 20, 2015 Scott Lee rated it really liked it
While I expected a drop off with the main storyline of the previous books wrapped up, I was surprised to find I enjoyed this novel more than the previous volume in the series if anything. The focus on more human characters (the Humans and Ildyrans) with more understandable motivations--particularly the monomaniacal Chairman Wenceslas as the villain worked really, really well.
Mihai Dan
May 04, 2016 Mihai Dan rated it liked it
I gave this book three stars instead of two just because the beginning was sort of intriguing. The writing style is a step (or more) backwards for Anderson. And I understand this is a space opera but during this book it seems more like a sci fi version of Young & Restless. Maybe a bit harsh, but if I knew how dull this book was I would have probably not invest the time in this series.
Mike Dodd
Mar 17, 2013 Mike Dodd rated it really liked it
6th book in a 7 book series. I have enjoyed this series. It is a bit predictable at times, other times I am impressed by the creative direction he takes the characters. It's a great book to read before bed, lots of dream material to be found. I have started on the 7th and final book in the series.
  • Ally (Wess'Har Wars, #5)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist 1: Consolidation (Night's Dawn 2)
  • Polystom: Two Universes in One Reality
  • Coyote Frontier (Coyote Trilogy, #3)
  • Expendable
  • The Orphaned Worlds (Humanity's Fire, #2)
  • Hellhole Awakening (Hellhole, #2)
  • Restoration (Star Trek: New Frontier, #11)
  • Orphan's Alliance (Jason Wander, #4)
  • Dirge (Founding of the Commonwealth, #2)
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...

The Saga of Seven Suns (7 books)
  • Hidden Empire (The Saga of Seven Suns, #1)
  • A Forest of Stars (The Saga of Seven Suns, #2)
  • Horizon Storms (The Saga of Seven Suns, #3)
  • Scattered Suns (The Saga of Seven Suns, #4)
  • Of Fire and Night (The Saga of Seven Suns, #5)
  • The Ashes of Worlds (The Saga of Seven Suns, #7)