Escape to Other Worlds with Science Fiction

Escape to Other Worlds with Science Fiction

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  5 reviews
It’s 1960, and the Axis powers dominate the world. Life goes on, because, as we see in “Escape to Other Worlds with Science Fiction,” history is driven both by big events and by small temptations…

Following the appearance of her first two novels, The King’s Peace and The King’s Name, Jo Walton won the 2002 John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer. Two years later she won...more
Published July 20th 2010 by Tor Books (first published February 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Escape to Other Worlds with Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape to Other Worlds with Science Fiction

Cynthia Armistead
I've read Walton's columns at Tor.com with much appreciation, and realized with some ebarrassment that I haven't actually read any of her fiction. I tried this story as a starter.

It is extremely well written, but so chilling that I'm almost scared away from her novels! Fortunately, many of the comments on the story site do point out that her best-known novels aren't as dark as this piece. That's a relief, as I don't think I could stay away from such a marvelous author.
Kaethe
Such a bleak story. Most effective. But, uh, I haven't felt myself in such a miserable world since Brazil.

I bought a copy.
Suz
(Dark) Snippets from lives in an alternate history, post, what would be our WWII. Deliciously chilling.
Kimikimi
Yuck, this story is depressing. But since it's supposed to be depressing well done! to the writer.
Mike Chrisman
This is an interesting bit of alternative history.
Sara Schertz
Sara Schertz marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Michelle Johnson
Michelle Johnson marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Luci Davin
Luci Davin marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Jonelle Renee
Jonelle Renee marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Professorsaul
Professorsaul marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
John Oswalt
John Oswalt marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Alina White
Alina White marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
S.M.M. Lindström
S.M.M. Lindström marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Wryberry
Wryberry marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Jo Walton writes science fiction and fantasy novels and reads a lot and eats great food. It worries her slightly that this is so exactly what she always wanted to do when she grew up. She comes from Wales, but lives in Montreal.
More about Jo Walton...
Among Others Farthing (Small Change, #1) Tooth and Claw My Real Children Ha'penny (Small Change, #2)