Start by marking “Harbors and High Seas: An Atlas and Geographical Guide to the Complete Aubrey-Maturin Novels of Patrick O'Brian” as Want to Read:

This indispensable guide to navigating the well-loved Aubrey-Maturin novels has been updated, with new chapters devoted to the final books in the series. Harbors and High Seas includes maps created exclusively for each of the novels in this world-renowned series.
Paperback, Third Edition, 288 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Harbors and High Seas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harbors and High Seas

Jason Koivu
Dean King so wants to have a bromance with his favorite author Patrick O'Brian. Hey, who am I to talk, I popped an O'Brian boner too when I walked into a bookstore and found upon a shelf Harbor and High Seas: An Atlas and Geographical Guide to the Complete Aubrey-Maturin Novels of Patrick O'Brian.

O'Brian's 20 book series (21 if you count the unfinished one) can be read and enjoyed without such Cliffs Notes-style assistance. However, O'Brian wrote with exquisite attention to detail for time and p
Terence
Picked this one up at the used-book store I frequent on the same fishing expedition that netted The Lucky Strike. I always feel bad if I can't find something there to buy, and not just because they're a used-book store in a world where that species is increasingly rare but also because they were my source for many of the Sylvia Townsend Warner and T.F. Powys volumes I own.

I figure it's the least I can do to help keep them in business.
HBalikov
Apr 07, 2013 HBalikov rated it it was amazing
This book amply fulfills its stated purpose and makes a great series even more enjoyable. For me, seeing a graphic representation of the journeys by Captain Aubrey enhanced my understanding of what this captain and crew faced. The text is most helpful in giving additional information about countries, ports, etc.
Dawn
Apr 10, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing
indispensable when reading the series!
Drew Raley
Jul 01, 2011 Drew Raley rated it liked it
Why oh why am I taking my passion for the Aubreyad to this level, that I require supplementary materials for leisure reading? Oh well, the maps and capsule articles about 19th Century life and navigation are plenty helpful. I sure didn't feel the need for table space and cross-referencing when I sit down with Dickens and Hornblower. I guess this means I'm all grown up now. The sunset is that much closer on the horizon, and the sky is lowering on the last act of life. Will this book, this seconda ...more
Don
Jan 12, 2015 Don rated it it was ok
Shelves: ships
This book comprises a chapter for each of the 20 completed Aubrey-Maturin novels, with a technical introduction (by John B Hattendorf) and some general maps of Europe, England and Ireland. The 20 chapters each contain a summary of the corresponding book, a short commentary on some of the key places, and one or more maps showing the routes taken by the protagonists.

I read it alongside the last 7 of the books and found the maps very useful - I wish I had had them to hand when I was reading the ea
MisterFweem
Jan 04, 2013 MisterFweem rated it liked it
I think I read this book wrong.

Rather than reading it as a companion to Patrick O'Brian's books, I read it on its own, and really had to plod through it. It's a fount of good information, but not all at one go.

The authors do a great deal to explain places, but I was surprised at the sparse treatment of nautical terms and such. O'Brian does some of that in his books, but I would have liked to have seen the authors of this book do a thorough job of it.
Edward Truitt
Mar 30, 2011 Edward Truitt rated it really liked it
A valuable companion to the Aubrey Maturin series, and now, as I near the end of reading the series through for the second time (but in chronological order this time) I am enjoying perusing it for its own sake, a very readable and enjoyable piece of work in its own right.
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Third Edition

This would have been rated one notch higher if I had had it available while reading through the series. An avid fan would own this volume and follow along with the maps (curiously absent from the books and sorely missed by landlubbers such as myself),
Roger W.
May 02, 2008 Roger W. added it
Recommends it for: Readers of Patrick O'Brian
This is the geographical arm of the reference volumes for the Aubrey-Maturin series of Patrick O'Brian. Here you can look up any real or invented place described in the books and find out just where Mahon was situated and what its harbor defenses looked like in that day.
Bill
Jul 16, 2015 Bill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Great companion to the book series. I like to go and review this after I have finished one of the novels. Really fantastic job done on this to be able to tell where Captain Aubrey traveled all over the world.
Catherine  Mustread
Feb 19, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who reads the Aubrey-Maturin novels.
Great companion book to the Aubrey-Maturin series. This 3rd edition covers books 1-20. (#21 is the last and uncompleted book in the series. Maps and diagrams make the novels better understood geographically.
Ross
Mar 25, 2012 Ross rated it really liked it
This is the most useful of the reference books for the series. It is a must companion for getting full enjoyment reading this series. The gloss for the series "A Sea of Words" is also a must reference.
Jon
Sep 11, 2013 Jon rated it liked it
This was great in parts, but more battle maps (and just more maps in general) would improve it. It's helpful for context, but not as much as I'd initially hoped.
Wendy
If you read Patrick O'Brian at all, this is a must-have. Dean King gives you maps and other geographical info that literally makes the books come alive.
Amy
Sep 24, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
I have been using this reference as I read the books. It's nice to see the geography referred to, although sometimes the maps don't include all the detail I'd like.
Meg
Sep 29, 2007 Meg rated it did not like it
Shelves: sailing-fiction
Pretty much useless synopsis of all the stories. Has a few maps illustrating where battles were. I was hoping for LOTS of charts. The title is very misleading.
Kathy
Jun 14, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it
Geography lessons are extremely helpful. However, the short write-ups on places of interest could be a lot more engaging.
Teri
Feb 27, 2015 Teri rated it it was amazing
I use this book as a reference and as such not to be read cover-to-cover like a fiction book, which is why I marked it as read. Very good.
Paulo
Paulo rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2012
Jennifer Kleine
Jennifer Kleine rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2013
Marty Moore
Marty Moore rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Lillian Spencer
Lillian Spencer rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2009
Christopher Irwin
Christopher Irwin rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Sherwood Smith
Sherwood Smith rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2008
Jamie Collins
Jamie Collins rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2007
Clark
Clark rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2012
Gavin
Gavin rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Bill Kershner
Bill Kershner rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
  • Men-of-War: Life in Nelson's Navy
  • Lobscouse and Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels
  • Patrick O'Brian's Navy
I like to read, wander cross-country, travel in cultures I don't understand, cycle, play squash, and I'm a foodie. But most of all I like to be in the throes of writing a book. This is invigorating work. The moment when the hard-won research combines with a bit of sweat and blood and occasionally a tear to become a fluid paragraph is like no other. What I hope to achieve is to suspend time and dis ...more
More about Dean King...