Start by marking “Memoirs of a Geisha: A Portrait of the Film” as Want to Read:
Memoirs of a Geisha: A Portrait of the Film

Memoirs of a Geisha: A Portrait of the Film

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A stunning visual companion to the highly anticipated new film from director Rob Marshall (Chicago), based on the international bestseller by Arthur Golden—a major holiday release from Columbia Pictures.

Featuring over 150 full-color photographs and drawings, this lavishly illustrated book captures the artistry and romance behind the exquisite new film from Rob Marshall, th
Published October 20th 2005 by Newmarket Press

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of a Geisha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs of a Geisha

Ashley T
Sep 01, 2012 Ashley T marked it as to-read
Shelves: victorian
I have not read this book, but I have read the original book "Memoirs of a Geisha", and seen the movie, both several times. I can say that you won't regret reading or viewing anything to do with the book or the movie.
A wonderful "vacation" to WW2 Japan, into the sizzling and competitive culture of the apprentice and actual "Geisha girls".
I had thought I had a grip on what a "geisha" was, but I realize now that I had no earthly idea!
A geisha is not simply a girl who dresses up really pretty, like
If you are currently reading or about to read "Memoirs of a Geisha" this is a gorgeous visual refrence from the film. True, the movie and pictures kinda blow-it for the imaginative reader, but if you are anything like me who is facinated by the beauty of the ancient japanese culture, you will not be disappointed by these stunning pictures captured from the film. It also puts what is happening in the book into visual perspective.
Oct 13, 2008 Lisea rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisea by: Jenny
I liked the history. The premise of the book not so much. The culture was amazing and I liked that. I would not recommend this to anyone young. It was definitely adult content.
Though I would not categorize this as a "fun, light, beach read," I thoroughly enjoyed the book. This book provides a memoriable portrayal of Gieshas.
Lady Entropy
I usually don't buy movie books, but I opened an exception for this one, and never regretted it. Gorgeous.
This was a really poignant book. I loved learning all the history about geishas.
Read the book before you see the film.
Dominique Pontleve
Dominique Pontleve marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Freema Telotoy
Freema Telotoy marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
LAQ marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Kecia added it
Aug 19, 2015
Haneen Jamal
Haneen Jamal marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Diana Wei
Diana Wei marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Chaya Mckinely
Chaya Mckinely marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Gena Chavez
Gena Chavez marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Reg Ferns
Reg Ferns marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
  • Fresh Fruits
  • Japan - Culture Smart!: the essential guide to customs & culture
  • The Book of Beginnings (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Book of Christmas (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Kawaii Bento Boxes: Cute and Convenient Japanese Meals on the Go
  • A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes: My Story
  • The Knot Book of Wedding Lists
  • Manga Mania™: Romance: Drawing Shojo Girls and Bishie Boys
  • Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes
  • Dwarfs (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Hotel Rwanda
  • Word Hero: A Fiendishly Clever Guide to Crafting the Lines that Get Laughs, Go Viral, and Live Forever
  • The Rabbits' Wedding
  • Clueless in Tokyo: An Explorer's Sketchbook of Weird and Wonderful Things in Japan
  • How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art
  • Bento Boxes: Japanese Meals on the Go
  • Diary of a Citizen Scientist: Chasing Tiger Beetles and Other New Ways of Engaging the World

“Каквито и да са битките и победите ни, както и да ги преживяваме, много скоро те избледняват като воднисто мастило върху хартия.” 1 likes