Start by marking “Intrigue At The Crowned Jewel” as Want to Read:
Intrigue At The Crowned Jewel

Intrigue At The Crowned Jewel

Here at the Jewel, we offer you beautiful men with split personalities, mind-reading courtesans, betrayal of the highest order, dragons, unicorns, ill-fated romance, and more magic than you can shake a stick at. What more could you want? Slash.
Words: 288,329 complete
online fiction, 866 pages
Published November 17th 2010 by FictionPress

To ask other readers questions about Intrigue At The Crowned Jewel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intrigue At The Crowned Jewel

Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
Messy as fuck-- plot and writing.

This story definitely needed a strong editor. I'm no grammar guru (the opposite in fact, and I'm sure many of GR friends have noticed) but at times even I knew there was something distinctly funky going on. And there were also some words that weren't meant to be there/didn't sound quite right, and a novel-long confusion where 'latter' should have been used instead of 'later' (I'm not entirely sure I'm right though). And the quality of the writing wasn't the of th
julio
Sep 09, 2013 julio marked it as to-read
This thing is so huge it took FLAG nearly two minutes to convert it into an ePub for me—and crashed the site widget the first time it tried.

BOOK I COMMAND YOU TO BE EXCELLENT
Bree Cheese
DNF at 60%. This could be a fabulous story, but needs a TON of editing. I got tired of wading around in the murky waters trying to find it.
SueM
To be honest, as others have noted, this was a confusing novel at times, yet I found if I simply accepted the confusing sections as is, it eventually made sense, and it ended up being worth the effort.
Ayanna
Sep 16, 2013 Ayanna rated it it was ok
7/30/14
The ending section/resolution still bothers me. I'm hard-pressed at the moment to pinpoint what exactly it was that disquieted me so beyond just the blatant misuse of power on the Jewel's side and the whole Cinder-esque resolution. I mean, I did like the rest of it, up until the point where all of it just made me so uncomfortable. I dunno. Maybe the ending section was enough to color my entire perception of this story, since I don't look back on it with enjoyment, kind of at all.

Eh. I mea
Cathryn
Jul 24, 2016 Cathryn rated it liked it
IceraMyst tells us the story of Sebastian / The Black Viper, a half-fairy prostitute who works in his mother's brothel, and his slow coming to self-realization and love, through a convoluted web of intrigue, plot, and magic.

It was readable, it was fun in places. I wouldn't call it terrible by any stretch. It did, however, seem to drag on a great deal further than it really needed to. There were several chapters that seemed to serve as filler, or to simply repeat something we'd already read once
Ali
Jul 07, 2013 Ali rated it liked it
Well, this was an interesting read. I liked the set up and the fact that this was played out in an exotic and highly sought after bordello. The characters were fascinating and the interplay between the courtesans intriguing. Sex, although ever present, was very much downplayed which made the story all the more interesting as the effect was to emphasize relationship and characters. The main character, Black Viper/Sebastian made a somewhat bewildering and unreliable narrator and at times his chara ...more
Christina
Dec 01, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
this was awesome!!! really great!!! amazingly entertaining and complex! the only thing that bothered me was that the hermaphrodite was referred to as "It" as the pc term. while there are plenty of gender-neutral pronouns to pic from like :
subject: they or Ey or Xe
object: them or Em or Xem
poss. adj. their or Eir or Xyr
poss. pro. theirs or Eirs or Xyrs
reflexive: themself of Emself or Xemself
all gender neutral pronouns that wouldnt have sounded so dehuminising as "it"... so ya that bothered me alo
Sue
Mar 22, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this long story.
The setting was imaginative and the world-building satisfying.
Although the story was set in a brothel, don't expect lots of graphic sex, because this is primarily quite a gentle fantasy.
I really liked the many characters, especially the cursed prince.
Not going to spoil it by letting on to any of the plot; the twists and turns are best experienced without hints.
It was a good 4.5 stars, almost a 5 and so rounded up on GR (wish we could give half-stars).
adrienne
Jan 28, 2013 adrienne is currently reading it
Forgot I'd read The Sound of Snowfall and really enjoyed it, so I was somewhat startled to find myself really liking this, despite being slightly confused in the first chapter or two.
Samy Rose
Apr 20, 2013 Samy Rose rated it really liked it
very enjoyable. But it should have forgotten the last few chapters.
Rachel
wow, this author has a talent for drawing out the angst for longer than I would have thought possible.
Lori S.
Confusing is the best term I have for this story ...
Ithra
Ithra rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
Yuu
Yuu rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Louis
Louis rated it really liked it
May 08, 2013
Melaney
Melaney rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Ania
Ania rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Det
Det rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Jazmine Boyd
Jazmine Boyd rated it it was ok
Oct 22, 2012
Calliope
Calliope rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Charmed
Charmed rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2011
A
A rated it really liked it
May 10, 2015
Sannah
Sannah rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Elfflame
Elfflame rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Luisana06
Luisana06 rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Lynnebaby
Lynnebaby rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2011
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2011
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Eric Erickson
Eric Erickson rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Tiger and the Raven
  • Kastor Chronicles 1: The Forge of Dawn
  • Cold Turkey
  • Spliced
  • Undesirable
  • This War of Ours (Garnet, #1)
  • Iron Butterfly
  • Chimera: Book One
  • Esperanza
  • Muffin (Muffin #1)
  • The Coquette and the Thane
  • Indulgence
  • Just Because
  • Tenebrism (Light and Shadow, #1)
  • Fleur de Lys