Start by marking “The Overload Syndrome” as Want to Read:
The Overload Syndrome

The Overload Syndrome

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Anyone living in today's society knows the struggle of trying to handle busyness. You feel tired, stressed, and burned out. These symptoms are signs that you're suffering from the Overload Syndrome.This book examines where overload comes from and what it can lead to while offering prescriptions to counteract its effects and restore time to rest and space to heal.Find the s ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published August 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Overload Syndrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Overload Syndrome

Robin
Love this book...it's the kind I'll need to read over and over to truly absorb all the good advice and wisdom. First of all, I've learned that I need to create margin in my schedule. That I should give myself more time to do something than I think it will take and I should not fill my entire day (duh. right?). I also began to think about stuff that we all take for granted in a different way, such as the telephone/cell phone. I don't have to be at everyone's beck and call. I can own the phone and ...more
Craig Houston
I loved this book, because it was providentially given at a time when I was overwhelmed by life and ministry. Though I may not agree with every specific recommendation, I think Dr. Swensen makes a strong case that we are so overloaded by stuff that we can't enjoy the life that God has given nor the people that he has placed in our lives.
Debi
This was a great book dealing with how overloaded we become, especially in our current fast-paced society. " 'Someone has described a modern American,' wrote pastor and college president Paul Billheimer, 'as a person who drives a bank-financed car over a bond-financed highway on credit card gas to open a charge account at a department store so he can fill his Savings and Loan financed home with installment-purchased furniture.' "

The author gives "prescriptions" to allow more margin in different
Crystal
Disregard the somewhat dated technological references, and the book still makes valid points about not letting out stuff control us, making space for the people in our lives, and making our lives purposeful and intentional. Good reading.
Melodie Harris
Mar 07, 2015 Melodie Harris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: stressed out people
Made me reflect on how our busy, multi-tasking world of really bad for us. Slow down and enjoy life. Besides explaining how stress was once necessary to save human life (and it still is in many respects), this book explains how being in that mode constantly is why we cannot enjoy our lives. It is a good read and well worth the money.

If you are struggling with stress--which I didn't realize I was—this book will help you. If you feel like you are not enjoying your hobbies, this book will help you.
Melissa
Such a good book for this day and age when everyone is so busy. We don't always have to do it all or be it all.
Mary
Great book on learning to live within your limits and have something left over at the end of the day!
Julie
Jun 26, 2008 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Julie by: Focus on the Family
ALL OF US TYPE A personalities need to read this book! Christian-based.
Cheryl
Practical, but a little boring and surface
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Dewa
Dewa marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Jennifer Elmore dowdy
Jennifer Elmore dowdy marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Reed Stratton
Reed Stratton marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Raed Al-Jhani
Raed Al-Jhani marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
Mar 10, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Jody
Jody marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Natalie F
Natalie F marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Tracie
Tracie is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Connecting
  • The Church on the Other Side: Doing Ministry in the Postmodern Matrix
  • Forgive and Forget: Healing the Hurts We Don't Deserve
  • Sleep Thieves: an Eye-Opening Exploration into the Science and Mysteries of Sleep
  • With: Reimagining the Way You Relate to God
  • Descending Into Greatness
  • The Good and Beautiful Life: Putting on the Character of Christ
  • Bipolar Disorder Demystified: Mastering the Tightrope of Manic Depression
  • Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • Not the Way It's Supposed to Be: A Breviary of Sin
  • Renovation of the Church: What Happens When a Seeker Church Discovers Spiritual Formation
  • The Shut Up and Shoot Documentary Guide: A Down & Dirty DV Production
  • Recovery of Your Inner Child: The Highly Acclaimed Method for Liberating Your Inner Self
  • The Secret of Happiness
  • Pursuing God's Will Together: A Discernment Practice for Leadership Groups
  • The Secret of the Shadow: The Power of Owning Your Story
  • When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair: 50 Ways to Feel Thin, Gorgeous, and Happy {When You Feel Anything But}
Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives In Search of Balance: Keys to a Stable Life More Than Meets the Eye: Fascinating Glimpses of Gods Power and Design A Minute of Margin: Restoring Balance to Busy Lives - 180 Daily Reflections Restoring Margin to Overloaded Lives