Start by marking “The Wonders Of The Invisible World” as Want to Read:
The Wonders Of The Invisible World

The Wonders Of The Invisible World

The book has no illustrations or index. Purchasers are entitled to a free trial membership in the General Books Club where they can select from more than a million books without charge. Title: The Wonders of the Invisible World Being an Account of the Tryals of Several Witches Lately Executed in New-England, to Which Is Added a Farther Account of the Tryals of the New-Engl ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Wonders Of The Invisible World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wonders Of The Invisible World

Jul 05, 2010 Lisette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Get beyond the language and you see a fascinating (and, frankly, scary) look into Puritan ideology and theology...and how these inform their worldview.
Feb 07, 2015 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: americana
A few years ago I read Washington Irving's short story "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". In the climatic Van Tassel Halloween party Ichabod Crane is reading Cotton Mather's "The Wonders of the Invisible World" to scare the wits out of the young women (and himself) at the party. I was intrigued by the reference and decided that I wanted to read it someday too.

Having just finished "The Wonders of the Invisible World" I can definitely see why it scared the pants off Ichabod Crane and was prime fodder
Katie Riley
I have only read three of the trials/accounts in this book, and I doubt I will read any more. If not for the module I am doing in university I would not have known about this book, and would have ignorantly ignored it, but I am glad I have read it. It is well written, even if I dislike the writer and the trials and everything about it makes me angry and sad, it is still an interesting read. I may read the others at a later date, yet I cannot at the moment.
This was very disturbing to read - to see injustice presented like something logical and reasonable. Mostly for me, it was about how the place and time in which one lives influences their moral judgement.
Apr 17, 2015 Grant rated it liked it
Crazy shit
Nov 14, 2012 Caleb rated it liked it
Weird stuff for sure. The Salem Witch Trials are a very emotional topic, even today. Same goes for the Crusades. Get a roomful of people together fed with a lifetime of sound bites from the History Channel and you’re off to the races. I read this mainly because of the references in Washington Irving’s Legend of Sleepy Hollow I’d seen over the years, and Franklin’s references to Cotton Mather in his writings. I also enjoy acquainting myself better with early Colonial American thought.
I just wanted to read the justification for these events. This book will have to be read again after some time. Hard to read. Got kind of boring, yet still interesting in some weird way!Lol
Christopher Gage
Truthfully different

I must say that the book is having an impact on the environment and the book is of course a good idea. It was going to be a good thing. You must not be biased towards the reading of the book.
Aug 21, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Eh, this may be good as a supplement for when my students read The Crucible. However, it is certainly NOT light reading.
Feb 15, 2013 Ivan rated it it was ok
A scummy man making excuses for his brutality. Well-written, but will make you sick to read his smug self-satisfaction.
Matthew McKenna
Oct 23, 2016 Matthew McKenna rated it really liked it
Deeply disturbing.
Oct 20, 2012 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
fucking ridiculous...
Jon marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Dana Hammer
Dana Hammer marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
AC marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Cambria marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Irkulyen is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2016
Helen Rogerson
Helen Rogerson marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Larry Mc Ilvoy
Larry Mc Ilvoy rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Sandi marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Candice Maxwell
Candice Maxwell marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
adi added it
Aug 10, 2016
Chloe rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2016
Lois Cooper
Lois Cooper marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Amber marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Ette marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ozark Magic and Folklore
  • The Mermaid and the Minotaur: Sexual Arrangements and Human Malaise
  • The Heroine's Journey: Woman's Quest for Wholeness
  • Evolution and Ethics: And Other Essays
  • Chronic Resilience: 10 Sanity-Saving Strategies for Women Coping with the Stress of Illness
  • Judge Sewall's Apology: The Salem Witch Trials and the Forming of an American Conscience
  • Thunder Road (Thunder Road, #1)
  • The Fairies in Tradition and Literature
  • Build Your Dreams: How To Make a Living Doing What You Love
  • Faery Tale: One Woman's Search for Enchantment in a Modern World
  • Violins of Hope: Violins of the Holocaust--Instruments of Hope and Liberation in Mankind's Darkest Hour
  • Salem Witch Judge: The Life and Repentance of Samuel Sewall
  • The Devil in Massachusetts: A Modern Enquiry Into the Salem Witch Trials
  • Why Can't I Get Better? Solving the Mystery of Lyme and Chronic Disease
  • Every Knee Shall Bow
  • Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson
  • Witch-Hunt: Mysteries of the Salem Witch Trials
  • Murder by Candlelight: The Gruesome Slayings Behind Our Romance with the Macabre
Cotton Mather A.B. 1678 (Harvard College), A.M. 1681; honorary doctorate 1710 (University of Glasgow), was a socially and politically influential New England Puritan minister, prolific author, and pamphleteer. Cotton Mather was the son of influential minister Increase Mather. He is often remembered for his connection to the Salem witch trials.

Mather was named after his grandfathers, both paternal
More about Cotton Mather...