The Wonders Of The Invisible World

The Wonders Of The Invisible World

2.92 of 5 stars 2.92  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The book has no illustrations or index. Purchasers are entitled to a free trial membership in the General Books Club where they can select from more than a million books without charge. Title: The Wonders of the Invisible World Being an Account of the Tryals of Several Witches Lately Executed in New-England, to Which Is Added a Farther Account of the Tryals of the New-Engl...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Wonders Of The Invisible World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wonders Of The Invisible World

Mark
A few years ago I read Washington Irving's short story "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". In the climatic Van Tassel Halloween party Ichabod Crane is reading Cotton Mather's "The Wonders of the Invisible World" to scare the wits out of the young women (and himself) at the party. I was intrigued by the reference and decided that I wanted to read it someday too.

Having just finished "The Wonders of the Invisible World" I can definitely see why it scared the pants off Ichabod Crane and was prime fodder...more
Caleb
Weird stuff for sure. The Salem Witch Trials are a very emotional topic, even today. Same goes for the Crusades. Get a roomful of people together fed with a lifetime of sound bites from the History Channel and you’re off to the races. I read this mainly because of the references in Washington Irving’s Legend of Sleepy Hollow I’d seen over the years, and Franklin’s references to Cotton Mather in his writings. I also enjoy acquainting myself better with early Colonial American thought.
Jessica
Eh, this may be good as a supplement for when my students read The Crucible. However, it is certainly NOT light reading.
Lisette
Get beyond the language and you see a fascinating (and, frankly, scary) look into Puritan ideology and theology...and how these inform their worldview.
Ivan
A scummy man making excuses for his brutality. Well-written, but will make you sick to read his smug self-satisfaction.
Jasmine
fucking ridiculous...
Löu
Löu added it
Aug 17, 2014
Shawnalenore
Shawnalenore marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Kacie
Kacie is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2014
Damarice
Damarice marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Young Napoleon
Young Napoleon marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Hank
Hank added it
Jun 10, 2014
Göran H.
Göran H. marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Wendy Bertsch
Wendy Bertsch marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Jacalyn
Jacalyn marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Katrina
Katrina is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Kasun Pathirage
Kasun Pathirage marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Maritza
Maritza marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Lisa williams
Lisa williams marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Cotton Mather A.B. 1678 (Harvard College), A.M. 1681; honorary doctorate 1710 (University of Glasgow), was a socially and politically influential New England Puritan minister, prolific author, and pamphleteer. Cotton Mather was the son of influential minister Increase Mather. He is often remembered for his connection to the Salem witch trials.

Mather was named after his grandfathers, both paternal...more
More about Cotton Mather...
On Witchcraft A Family Well-Ordered Magnalia Christi Americana or the Ecclesiastical History of New England V1: From Its First Planting in the Year 1620 Unto the Year of Our Lord 1698 Diary of Cotton Mather 1681-1709 V1 Memorable Providences: Relating To Witchrafts And Possessions (Notable American Authors)