Start by marking “A Field Guide to Monsters: This Book Could Save Your Life” as Want to Read:
A Field Guide to Monsters: This Book Could Save Your Life

A Field Guide to Monsters: This Book Could Save Your Life

Encounter every kind of movie monster in this comprehensive, one-of-a-kind book that features over 100 monsters. 160 illustrations.
Published October 1st 2004 by Hylas Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Field Guide to Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Field Guide to Monsters

Donna
Nov 23, 2014 Donna rated it liked it
Gotta love them bargain bin finds. And you usually get these good ones right around Halloween. I love Barnes and Noble. I really do.

Aside from being heinously inaccurate (I mean, to say the guy mutilated the Lost Boys section is an understatement), it's actually a pretty funny read. I don't know if the mistakes were intentional or a result of an "I don't give a shit" attitude but the snarky comments partially made up for it. So the guy can't tell the difference between Medus and a Hydra. Is that
Nozomi
Jun 27, 2013 Nozomi rated it it was ok
A fun little book with many monsters described with pictures and little funny notes. If only it was accurate! There are countless errors and typos. It's like the authors didn't do any research at all. I also felt that while many obscure monsters were included, lots of others were left out. Predator? Alien? The things from Tremors? E.T.? I felt the need for Jareth the Goblin King to be included too.

When it describes Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, it says the first appearance was from 1931, but there
Mark
Sep 24, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of b-movies, monsters, horror
Shelves: own, horror, sci-fi, 2011, movie_tv, 2016
This is a neat book I picked up for cheap. It contains a lot of classic b-movie icons and that's something I was always looking for in a book like this. The basic idea of the whole book is interesting. It contains stats and brief description of each monster and there is some humor in here as well, though it's more geared towards a younger audience I think.

Because of this book there's a couple b-movies I need to watch now. The only disappointing thing I noticed is they don't have Cthulhu, C.H.U.D
Glen Hannah
Sep 24, 2016 Glen Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Likeable tongue in cheek guide to movie monsters. Monster to a page with info about behaviour, lethality, weaknesses and powers. Plenty of wonderful photos make this a joy. Easy to flip through and would make a good gift for a movie monster fan. Some entries for the monsters of TVs Buffy. Fun read.
Matt
Oct 06, 2009 Matt rated it did not like it
Shelves: used-to-own
Mostly very useless in information overall about the different monsters. Mostly bad attempts at jokes. Nice pictures tho. Only interesting part is the size comparison chart in the back of the book.

Glad i only paid a couple dollars for this book (bargain book from Borders books) instead of the $19.95 original retail price for it as labeled on the back of the book.
Tom
May 06, 2009 Tom rated it liked it
This book is a cute little thing, a light comedy posing as a "Field Guide" for what to do should you come across a "monster" from any number of famous (and less-so) movies and some TV shows. The book isn't really laugh out loud, and some monsters included might be questionable (like, say, Robocop), and there are no doubt dozens left out, but its basically entertaining for what it is.
Kristian Reedus
This book show all sorts of popular monsters from movies and TV shows! This book contains parodies.
Jean Oram
Sep 30, 2009 Jean Oram rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Everyone from Shrek to Frankenstein to Freddy Cougar. Great, colour images. Great for ages 10 and up. Shows size in relation to other monsters, lists special powers, etc.
September
Feb 13, 2010 September rated it it was ok
A really fun book for geeks about B-rated horror critters, only problem is it is very, very inaccurate. But fun for just reading for fun and not "geek research."
Jun 15, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
Best quick comprehensive guide to monsters that I've ever seen. If something unusual appears, I'll instantly know how to handle the situation.
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Brian Barnett
Brian Barnett rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2010
Elizabeth Hitz
Elizabeth Hitz rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Carlo
Carlo rated it liked it
Jenn
Jenn rated it did not like it
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
David Graham
David Graham rated it it was amazing
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2011
Jennifer rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2011
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2011
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Joshua Potter
Joshua Potter rated it really liked it
Desiree Frescki
Desiree Frescki rated it it was amazing
Carlo
Carlo rated it liked it
Joshua
Joshua rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Lyric
Lyric rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2008
Noran Miss Pumkin
Noran Miss Pumkin rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2014
Ali
Ali rated it really liked it
Ericka
Ericka rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Amy
Jun 12, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires
I really liked this book, but I believe many monsters were excluded.
« previous 1 3 next »