Start by marking “Five Little Monkeys Sitting In A Tree Signed (A Trumpet Club Special Edition)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Five Little Monkeys Si...

Eileen Christelow

Five Little Monkeys Sitting In A Tree Signed (Five Little Monkeys)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  525 ratings  ·  70 reviews
"Brightly colored, cartoon-style artwork, done in mixed media, spread across wide pages, (captures) the antics of the mischievous critters, whose colorful garb makes them easy to spot as they hide in the foliage of the big old tree."--ALA "Booklist."
Published (first published March 18th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Five Little Monkeys Sitting In A Tree Signed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Little Monkeys Sitting In A Tree Signed

Kiana Gerard
Many of us have all heard the little singsongy tale of the five little monkeys. This is Eileen Christelow's second most popular book in the Five Little Monkeys series. I loved that this book was full of humor and relatable problems that children go through. The five little monkeys tease a crocodile and there is a moral at the end of the story. This hilarious fable not only teaches kids from right and wrong, but Christelow's writing makes the book crafty and fun to read!

After reading the book a c
Brittani Troutman
I grew up singing the “five little monkeys” songs and now sing it to children that I work with. Since I knew the songs and knew children loved singing a long with those I thought that the books would be just as good for children.

Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree by Eileen Christelow is a great book to start teaching children how to count and also to teach them not to pick on others. The book is very colorful and the images really add to what is going on in the story. The colors are also ver
Robert Beveridge
Eileen Christelow, Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree (Clarion, 1991)

Amusing, if lightweight, little book that undercuts its message in hopes of becoming a series. (It did, and an exceptionally popular one, at that.) A good one for reading to the kids if you like playing it up; this one would definitely be better sung than simply read. ***
Rob
This book is fun, if perhaps a big suggestively violent. But the threat of violence looms large in the best children's stories ever written—Grimm's fairy tales, the English folk tale of Titty and Tatty Mouse, this German nurery rhyme about the barber that cuts off kids' fingers when they can't stop sucking their thumbs... Children respond to hyperbole and drastic outcomes. And so with that in mind, we enjoy teasing Mr. Crocodile for the impending *SNAP!*

But I feel like the Mama monkey goes to ea
Kelsey
Five little monkeys learn their lesson about teasing Mr. Crocodile. Each time they tease him, he snaps his jaws at them. Children may enjoy the suspense and may begin to notice little monkey eyes or pieces of monkey clothing peeking between the tree branches. At the end, readers find that all the little monkeys have been hiding safely in the tree branches. They have a picnic with their mother and learn never to tease the crocodile. The rhyme will help children develop phonological awareness.
Mariah Olson
I absolutely love this collection of books by Eileen Christelow about the 5 little monkeys because it's an easy book for preschool and kindergarten aged children to read and learn how to count number 1 through 5. This is also one of those books that kids can read in a 'jump rope' rhythm. What I mean by a 'jump rope' rhythm is that children read it to the rhythm of jumping, so a constant beat, and it helps the kids remember the words in the story and they count down from 5 to 1 by reading through ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Christelow adds another rhythmic, repetitive troublemaking adventure as the Five Little Monkeys climb into a tree and tease a crocodile, while Mama trustfully naps by the bank. This book, like some others in the series, can be either read aloud or sung, and there's a finger play for this one too (unfortunately hard to do while you hold a book, but oh well). In Christelow's version, instead of having the alligator actually eat the monkeys, they leap into the tree branches, to be revealed in the e ...more
Kiera Turner
This book will always be a favorite of mine! When reading this to older children you could introduce academic language such as scold, tease and delicious. For younger children you could use it to introduce counting. When I read this book to my Pre-K children they loved doing the snap as if they were crocodiles!
Brad
The colorful cover for 'Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree' made it look like it was going to be an exciting story. I feel like the climax of the story starts up too soon. We have all the sang the songs or read other books about monkeys jumping on the bed as well as doing many other things and this story did not add anything at all. Bright colors continued to be used throughout the story with the illustrations but, the story ended pretty abruptly just like it began. The monkeys went right to ...more
Karla
This book clearly aims to teach young children just learning to count their numbers. I think the book does a good job with teaching the counting, but I was slightly disappointed with the moral. I felt that it was embarrassingly straightforward. Maybe for young children this is appropriate, but I still thought it could have had a more intelligent ending. This illustrations were fun and brightly colored. They were definitely in a style that would appeal to young children. My only concern with the ...more
Jourdan Aanenson
Five little monkeys sitting in a tree discover, one by one, that it is unwise to tease Mr. Crocodile.

This book has extrodinary in its pictures. The colors of the book is almost like a watercolor paint. The brush strokes on the monkeys show which way their fur moves. Their movements are shown because of the paint stokes in their fur. Their is no title page and I think this is hard because it jumps right into the story and this takes away the importance of the book. The shapes of the monkeys are a
Ashley M.
This story is a fun book to use with young children that are trying to get more involved with reading. The reparative phrases and rhyming text will keep children following along. This book is a good tool to practice teaching children the flow of events in a story by counting down the monkeys.

When using this story in the class room, have the children use their dramatic play skills to re act the story. This will help children practice the sequence of events in the book on an easy level. This can
Robin Morris
This book is a favorite book of mine. Children enjoy acting out teasing the crocodile and clapping their hands together as the crocodile goes "SNAP". It is repetitive which makes it easy to remember and easy for early readers to grasp the words. The book focuses on counting backwards and subtraction and then counting forward when all the monkeys appear in a tree. I like the way the mother monkey loves and disciplines her 5 monkeys with hugs and scolding. What a fun book!

L.E.

I would have a discus
Shamilah Gillani
The five little monkeys series is such a fun series for students of all ages. Five little monkeys wait until their mother takes a nap and start to disturb Mr. Crocodile - oh what an unwise decision! This book teaches sequencing to students, story elements, and the moral of listening to adults.
In my classroom, I would create an anchor chart for students to categorize the characters, problem, solution, theme, setting, and other story elements. I would also use this book to practice sequencing and
Carrie Marie Lawson Brewer
Five little monkeys run into trouble teasing a crocodile when their mother falls asleep
Amy Rae
Genuinely did enjoy this more than the original. I think it works better.
Emily Bernd
This book is fun and has the echo reading. I love the sound effects and repetition.
Salima Hart
This book was really cute, and the children loved it. It teaches the values of learning lessons based on past experiences. The children loved to mimic the book, and since it is repetitive, it is easy for them to do so. I also enjoyed using different voices for the various characters, which continued to grab the students' attention. Due to its simplicity, it is also quite easy for students to look at as a writing example. Students can easily learn from the format of this book and create their own ...more
Ami
This isn't a personal favorite of mine, but he kids loved it.
Autumn
We picked this book up from our local library.

Here we are again jumping into the adventures of the monkeys. When momma monkey decides to take them on a picnic dinner I don't think she planned on her monkeys teasing a crocodile. Don't these monkeys know that teasing a crocodile is not fun! They like to SNAP! We had a good time reading this book along with every time the crocodile would SNAP! We would yell it out, and then try to find the monkey afterwards. Perfect book for all ages. I think they
Connie
Most people know the one about monkeys jumping on the bed (also a book), but this rhyme is about as old. Surprised? Yeah, you're not alone :)

In the original, the monkeys are definitely eaten. In this version, not so much. (Also, this version cuts down some of my favorite lines from the original rhyme.) Because the monkeys aren't eaten, people who are worried about more sensitive children will probably be okay with this book :) Bright illustrations, bouncy classic rhyme, cute story. Gotta love it
Foster123
fostermills06@gmail.com
Matthew Mealer
This book is about monkeys playing in a tree over a river and they are messing with Mr. Crocodile while Mama is sleeping. The story gives a good opportunity to talk about beginning and basic subtraction. Oddly enough I feel obligated to mention that my students love the wording that the author chose to use in this book. They would read the words and laugh and I have no reason why. Particularly with words like Mama.
Matthew
This was a simple, yet enjoyable read aloud to share with a kindergarten class. They enjoyed making the SNAP sound for the crocodile and they were able to discern that the monkeys were not being eaten just by looking closely at the illustrations. The missing monkeys are semi-visible among the foliage of the tree in the background. At least one student was able to spot that before I revealed it in each group that I read with.
Jennifer RDG 3320
I used this book for a direct teach in a kindergarten classroom, and it worked great. Using this book for a math lesson really helped the children visualize how when things go away the number gets smaller. I had the children use there hands to show me the original amount of monkeys and then take the amount away as they go into the water. The students would then tell me how many monkeys were left.
Sabrina Henry
This book is about five monkeys teasing a crocodile that he can't catch them. In the beginning it seems as if they were eaten and then in the end they were seen in the tree. It has a little humor but I didn't like it too much.
The repetition can be engaging for children but the trick (monkeys appeared to have been eaten) can be kind of scarey for some children.
Meg McGregor
The five little monkeys are at it again - not listening to Momma and getting into trouble. But this time it is not just bumping their heads. They are teasing a crocodile.

A fun book for all littles and I always read the book using the same cadence I do for The Five Little Monkeys.

Read again on June 26, 2014.
Kirei
Five monkeys climb a tree, tease a crocodile and SNAP! When I first read through it, it seemed like they were getting eaten. (Although I knew this was an impossibility in a children's book.) But then I realized they were hiding in a tree.

Lesson learned: Don't tease a crocodile.
Tori
This book was about five little monkeys teasing a crocodile. I loved the pictures in the book because they were colorful and unique. This would be a fun book to read to children because of the repetitiveness about it. It would easily keep children entertained.
Vivian
We finished up our story time on alligators with this action story. (We changed the word "crocodile" in the book to "alligator" to suit our purposes). Follow this link to see the actions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7g_PP... .
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • Baby Beluga
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bat!
  • Little Pink Pup
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Jamaica's Find
  • Jumpy Jack & Googily
  • The Itsy Bitsy Spider
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • Cha-Cha Chimps
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed Five Little Monkeys Wash the Car Five Little Monkeys Play Hide and Seek Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do