Start by marking “Whatever Became of the Squishies? (The Squishies Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whatever Became of the Squishies? (The Squishies Series, #1)

Whatever Became of the Squishies? (Whatever Became of the Squishies #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  17 reviews
SHE'S JUST INHERITED SUPERPOWERS, OF...ER, SARCASM?

She’s wild, outspoken, trouble follows Carla Mainston wherever she goes. But what do you expect from a purple outcast living in a green colony? She's the last girl on the planet who should be inheriting special powers.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, there's a deadly disease spreading faster than a dirty joke in the playgrou...more
Kindle Edition, U.S. Edition, 264 pages
Published August 30th 2010 by Ragz Books

To ask other readers questions about Whatever Became of the Squishies?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whatever Became of the Squishies?

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Twilight Collection by Stephenie Meyer
Must Read YA Fiction!
127th out of 1,365 books — 2,328 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Best Young Adult Fiction
199th out of 2,085 books — 4,993 voters

More lists with this book...

Ceri Clark
I just finished what became of the squishies and I have to say, I really loved this book. It’s not because it was well-written although that helps but because it’s nice to read something different.

It is a very clever concept with characters that you grow to love through the book. There is humour, adventure and justice at the end.

It is clearly written for a younger audience as the heroine goes to school but it is suitable for anyone who enjoys a really good sci-fi/fantasy story.

Look beyond the al...more
Jay Wilson
An amazing and stunning story, well written and excellently deployed! Chilton tells tale that brings you right into the characters world, and you are naturally brought into the feel of the book instead of being force-fed your emotions, whether its comedy (intended or not), fear, sadness, etc. If you enjoy young adult fantasy, don't pass this one up!
Eileen Gormley
Great fun read. This is the book that's getting my eleven year old reading and enjoying it. She has now developed an obsession with purple aliens and cleaning products.
Kaitlin R.
I liked this book. I really did. It had a lot of silliness and interesting things to say. I think I would have liked it more if I was a teenager but you know, that's not the author's fault at all. I had two problems with this book: there were typos and words errors, and quite a few of them. But it was also all written very briskly. Things would move really fast and then things would move really slow. Information would be thrown a little suddenly, or not quite at the right time, or there'd simply...more
Elizabeth
Carla is a purple girl who lives in a green world called Derombi. In Derombi, everything is green; skin color, eye color, furniture and furnishings - everything. So, it goes without saying that Carla does not fit into her world at all. She feels as if her life is yet to begin and that she has a greater purpose, but she is stuck in a world where her mother cleans and polishes the oven everyday and her brother is perfect in every way. Then a mysterious illness affects all the young people in Derom...more
Donna
This was a really good book from start to finish, and had some great unexpected plot twists. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys teen fantasy books, but also anyone who likes a bit of rebellion in their heroes. Vibrantly, colorful reading!
Connie Jasperson
i love the premise - the only purple girl in a land of green people - where the only work is cleaning and soap products. I would highly recommend this tale to any one!
Katie Pearson
A great book, I loved it!

Not for those who are as serious as cereal, and a must read for everyone else.
B. McMichael
I would recommend this book. While most science fiction tends to be heavy due to the excessive science, this had a more fun feel to it.

Carla is purple in a society filled with green skinned people. She always thought it was just a fluke, a genetic anomaly. Turns out she is not from Derobmi, but from Rhecknaw, where people are purple skinned. That is not the only difference, but will what Carla learns help her save her brother or not?

As in most science fiction, this is set in a different world....more
Emma
At the risk of flinging myself into the grumpy older reader category, my biggest complaint about this adolescent fantasy is that it is, ahem, a bit too adolescent. I am a big fan of the genre, and chose this book because it was in the top 10 Goodreads list for YA fantasy (& I'd read & enjoyed nearly all of the others -- think gorgeous Richelle Mead & Cassandra Clare). Sadly, this is not in their class. It shows lots of promise by way of character development & originality & p...more
Buffybot
This is like Stephen King's Sleepwalkers, only better!

This original story about Carla Mainston, a purple girl living in a colony where everyone is green, really grabbed me. She goes to school where they teach you how to clean. I could relate to her not fitting in. She's a bit of a rebel and I love that about her.

My favorite part is about the threat that she might end up having the life sucked out of her by her new boyfriend. I can't wait to read the second book.
Alison Moore
I really enjoyed this book; it was funny, original and there was never a dull moment. It's an urban fantasy that I just couldn't put down. The main character is a fiesty purple girl living in an OCD green colony, and she really doesn't fit in. I loved the social satire and the strange sci-fi setting in the book. It's a great young adult fantasy, which makes you giggle a lot.
Heidi
I would have given it 2 but it was different and original. The story seemed to not grasp me.It is almost like it went quickly and seemed glossed over. It needed more detail and development. The author didn't envelop me in that world. I still felt like an outsider.
Anjie Kendall
I enjoyed this book, it was well written and the premise behind it was a good one. I just don't think I enjoyed it enough to read any further in the series.
Emily Johnson
It took me a few chapters to get into it and there were a lot of different characters. In the end they all fit together and I couldn't put it down.
Charlotte Harris
Aug 30, 2011 Charlotte Harris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers and young adults
Recommended to Charlotte by: My book club
I adored this book, it's exciting, bizarre and highly addictive reading. A must read for any age, if you like sci fantasy or ya fiction. Love it!
Reva Vardon
loved it! made me laugh a lot- guess I am just a sarcasm type of girl.
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Addicted2books
Addicted2books marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Leah Swenor
Leah Swenor marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Serenity
Serenity marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Legend
Legend marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Barbi Lazar
Barbi Lazar marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Mia Brown
Mia Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Rita_saluehotmail.com
Rita_saluehotmail.com marked it as to-read
Menjam Tamang
Menjam Tamang marked it as to-read
Goodreads Librari...: A Locked Book Cover 10 43 Mar 21, 2012 10:09AM
Young Adult Ficti...: Free Urban Fantasy 5 27 Feb 03, 2012 11:48AM
  • Psych Investigation Episodes: Episode 1
  • The Riddler's Gift (Tales of the Lifesong, #1)
  • Snow, Blood, and Envy
  • Broken: A Paranormal Romance
  • Slow Boat to Purgatory
  • This Brilliant Darkness
  • Eternal Spring
  • Rise of the Demons (Oceans of Red #1)
  • The Childe (The Childe, #1)
  • Smoke and Magic (Blood and Gold, #1)
  • Traitor (Bridger, #2)
  • Barely Human
  • Exiled
  • Obumbrate (Illumine, #2)
  • Deception (Fey Court Trilogy, #1)
  • Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • A Place Beyond The Map
  • The House of Grey - Volume 2
A prolific writer with wide-ranging interests, Claire Chilton specialises in new adult fiction and speculative fiction, which includes genres such as science fiction, fantasy, horror, comedy and romance. Hustle, her Harlequin debut, won the publisher’s So You Think You Can Write contest on Wattpad. Her previous books include a humorous young adult science-fiction series called The Squishies Series...more
More about Claire Chilton...
Demonic Dora A Hint of Magic Shattered (The Squishies Series, #2) Frenzied The Fallen Queen (Origins Series, #0.5)

“Carla had realised there wasn’t just one destined adventure in life, there were thousands of them.” 2 likes