Start by marking “All about Asset Allocation” as Want to Read:
All about Asset Allocation

All about Asset Allocation

WHEN IT COMES TO INVESTING FOR YOUR FUTURE, THERE'S ONLY ONE SURE BET--ASSET ALLOCATION THE EASY WAY TO GET STARTED Everything You Need to Know About How To: Implement a smart asset allocation strategy Diversify your investments with stocks, bonds, real estate, and other classes Change your allocation and lock in gains

Trying to outwit the market is a bad gamble. If you're
ebook, Second Edition, 336 pages
Published July 12th 2010 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published September 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about All about Asset Allocation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All about Asset Allocation

Chad Warner
Nov 20, 2011 Chad Warner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: investors
Recommended to Chad by: The Index Investing Show
Shelves: finance, non-fiction
The best book I’ve read on asset allocation. It’s a practical guide to constructing a portfolio based on modern portfolio theory (MPT). Full of recent data (2010), studies, charts and graphs, it’s relatively easy to read, but better for intermediate investors, not beginners.

Research shows that about 90% of portfolio performance depends on asset allocation. I liked the point that the goal of investing isn't to get rich; it's to not get poor. Ferri’s advice: don’t try to outguess the markets, but
Todd N
Jun 05, 2009 Todd N rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
I took my time with this book to absorb all the data. This is an excellent overview of the theory of asset allocation with plenty of examples mixed in. Highly recommended as a follow on to Intelligent Asset Allocator.

The first part of the book goes over the different asset classes in detail with a lot of examples. Then correlation is covered, showing how weakly correlated asset classes combined in a portfolio can reduce risk and increase return.

The end of the book is a little rushed. It covers (
Shirley
Oct 17, 2010 Shirley rated it it was amazing
I've read many books on investing and this is the book I would recommend that a new investor read before any others. It may be the only book on the subject they will ever need. The author does a great job of de-mystifying "modern portfolio theory" and providing practical advice on how to apply the research knowledge as an individual investor. His explanation of the technical support for allocation of investment dollars by specific asset classes is the best I've found. It won't satisfy someone wh ...more
Noah Sanchez
Jun 20, 2015 Noah Sanchez rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that should be read before you start investing. I'd pair this book w/ The Boglehead's Guide to Investing. They both subscribe to John Bogle's philosophy on investing, and both provide strategy to accomplish this.

I wouldn't say this one differs from Bogglehead's Guide to Investing as much as I would say it adds to it. Where the former covers everything from beginning to end, All About Asset Allocation goes deeper (without getting bogged down in minutia) into how to select the types
Oli
Apr 21, 2014 Oli rated it liked it
Fine refresher on asset allocation and rebalancing. The discussion of taxes and fees is quite clear and helpful. I liked the overview of asset classes and related low cost funds, as well as the discussion of life cycle considerations. The prose is not very inspiring but the language is clear. If you are new to the topic, I would suggest Bernstein's books instead.
Alexa
Jul 04, 2016 Alexa rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
How does this book maintain such a good review average? While it contains a few good pieces of information, the writing is absolutely horrible.

The entire book reads like a high school student essay. You know the type - where the student has to repeat their thesis and main points ad nauseam. This book could be trimmed to less than half its current length and not lose any valuable information. And never mind all the spelling and grammatical mistakes too... (How is this the book's second edition an
Harry Robinson
Feb 10, 2015 Harry Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a Boglehead for over ten years now, and have read many of Rick Ferri's articles on finance. This is the first of his books that I've read; and I am impressed. The subject matter is one that interests me; and I found Ferri's analysis to be clear and easily understandable.

He presents the fundamental concepts of modern portfolio theory clearly; supported by multiple charts and graphs. He simplifies the more complex ideas for the nontechnical reader, but does not get so simplistic as to "g
Richard Staves
Don't read it unless you are a geek like me.
Daniel
Dec 21, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This book could be really good but unfortunately is let down in a few areas.

Rick has a good, consistent way of demonstrating and measuring the advantages of diversifying between different asset types. In doing so he also gives a good explanation of modern portfolio theory and the "efficient frontier".

Here's where it falls short:
It is myopically written for Americans. While I can understand that the author might want to stick to the environment and laws with which he is familiar, it would have at
Marshall
This is the best nuts-and-bolts investing book I've read. There are a lot of investing books out there that explain how investing works, but they come up short when it comes to explaining exactly how to put together an investment portfolio. This book is the opposite. It focuses entirely on putting together a portfolio, explaining what pieces are needed and why, but it assumes the reader has a general understanding.

This book is based on passive investing and Modern Portfolio Theory, so if you're
Steve
A nice, not too difficult read, with plenty of charts and figures but not too much real math or deep theory.

I like how Modern Portfolio Theory was introduced in the 1950's, with Harry Markowitz's "Portfolio Selection". And yet so many people still don't know about it (I didn't, this time last year).

The first part of the book briefly introduces asset allocation. The second and largest part is an overview of the major asset classes. The last section discusses portfolio management principles.

Ferri
Krenzel
Sep 19, 2008 Krenzel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
With the current banking crisis and volatile markets, many investors are facing a lot of stress. Unfortunately, they may feel even more panicked if they are watching CNBC or listening to their brokers instead of doing their own research and developing a long-term strategy that will give them confidence during market downturns. In his book, "All About Asset Allocation," author Richard A. Ferri (a portfolio manager, professor of finance, and Chartered Financial Analyst) gives readers the investing ...more
Michael Higgins
Mar 05, 2016 Michael Higgins rated it liked it
Shelves: investing
Very good coverage of the basics. At times he is more detail oriented than I am. Recommended an emergency cash fund in retirement with 2 years cash. Other than that point, not nearly so conservative as post subprime Bernstein. My recollection is that he even notes some investors may be at 70% equity in retirement.
Linden
Dec 31, 2014 Linden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: financial
I'm working my way through William Bernstein's reading list from the "If You Can" pamphlet.

"All About Asset Allocation" is an excellent introduction to Modern Portfolio Theory. There is a good discussion of the characteristics of various asset classes, volatility reduction using asset classes that are not perfectly correlated, as well as some guidance about which asset classes are not worth using at all (i.e. gold and commodities).

I don't agree with 100% of the recommendations (i.e. I don't thin
Nathaniel
Aug 13, 2007 Nathaniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money
Provides analysis of various asset allocation strategies, teaching the basics of Modern Portfolio Theory, and delving into the numbers, showing how different strategies have perform ed both in nominal and real terms. Includes analysis of rather esoteric asset classes (precious metals, fine art, hedge funds, etc.), but focuses on the basics (stocks, bonds, REITs, both national and international).

Ferri closes the book with recommendations for asset allocation for people in different age groups wit
Ed Lee
Jun 13, 2015 Ed Lee rated it really liked it
Very good info but way too verbose. I bet it can be half as long and just as good
Jeff
Aug 03, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Best book I've found on asset allocation. Practical - I refer to it regularly.
Cherif
Dec 07, 2015 Cherif rated it it was amazing
A worthy read for any diy investor.
Ravi Dawar
Nov 19, 2015 Ravi Dawar rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I read on asset allocations and how to build a portfolio for the long term. The book is simple to understand and best part is that every concept is followed with an example from the real world of investing.
João Henrique Dimas
Sep 15, 2015 João Henrique Dimas rated it really liked it
Muito bom para explicar os conceitos. Aprendi muito com este livro.
Infelizmente as informações específicas sobre fundos e rentabilidades estimadas são exclusivas dos Estados Unidos.
Vale a pena ler e tirar uma ideia geral sobre alocação de ativos.
Renaudb
Aug 05, 2014 Renaudb rated it really liked it
This book is a good introduction to asset allocation. It contains many examples and detailed numbers about correlation and past performance of many asset classes. I read this book after The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing and it really helped me feel confident about my asset allocation strategy. This is the perfect book if you want an in depth, but approachable analysis of the different asset classes available to the retail investor.
Clem
Feb 24, 2011 Clem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In-depth details on the formation of your own asset allocation, and plenty of good advice all around to follow it. It's definitely a must-read once you have understood the importance of low-cost/passive investing, perhaps by reading other books prior to this.
Jeremy
Dec 21, 2013 Jeremy rated it really liked it
A straight-forward guide to asset allocation for the passive investor. Mr Ferri has struck a good balance between theory and practicalities. Well-researched and easy to read but suffers from many grammatical mistakes and typographical errors.
Ricardo Fiorelli
Sep 08, 2014 Ricardo Fiorelli rated it it was amazing
This is the best demonstration of the Asset Allocation Investment Strategy I've read. It covers from the technical part and everything type of asset you can invest in and also he psychological part of investor as anxiety.
Niniane Wang
Apr 15, 2010 Niniane Wang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather dry, but informative. It is a condensed version of other books such as "Random Walk Down Wall Street". It's good as a supplemental resource, but I suggest first reading Random Walk or "Four Pillars of Investing".
Mat
Sep 09, 2014 Mat rated it it was amazing
This book totally changed the way I approach investing. I really enjoyed the historical data that was uses throughout and all the graphs.

I've read the 1st edition and now this one.
Aaron
Jun 15, 2012 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good primer on asset allocation. Unfortunately it doesn't explain the sensitivity of results to assumptions well, but it does include good recommendations for mutual funds.
Nat Shirman
Jul 15, 2015 Nat Shirman rated it really liked it
Helpful, easy to read, theoretical part more useful than practical part
Alen Siljak
Jun 09, 2014 Alen Siljak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended as a starter for anyone looking to save for retirement.
  • The Intelligent Asset Allocator: How to Build Your Portfolio
  • The New Coffeehouse Investor
  • Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street: Golden Rules Any Investor Can Learn
  • The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy You'll Ever Need: The Way Smart Money Preserves Wealth Today
  • Unconventional Success: A Fundamental Approach to Personal Investment
  • Winning the Loser's Game: Timeless Strategies for Successful Investing
  • Asset Allocation: Balancing Financial Risk
  • Devil Take the Hindmost:  a History of Financial Speculation
  • The Psychology of Trading: Tools and Techniques for Minding the Markets
  • Your Money and Your Brain
  • The Little Book of Main Street Money: 21 Simple Truths That Help Real People Make Real Money
  • The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing: Morningstar's Guide to Building Wealth and Winning in the Market
  • The Elements of Investing
  • Stocks for the Long Run
  • Value Averaging: The Safe and Easy Strategy for Higher Investment Returns
  • Money Girl's Smart Moves to Grow Rich

“The category of small-cap value represents approximately 3 percent of the capitalization of the broad U.S. market.” 0 likes
“Investors who followed a broadly diversified asset allocation that included a total market fund and a small value index fund would have faired very well during the past decade.” 0 likes