Start by marking “The Boz: confessions of a modern anti-hero” as Want to Read:
The Boz: confessions of a modern anti-hero

The Boz: confessions of a modern anti-hero

The highest paid rookie in NFL history--when Brian Bosworth signed a deal with the Seattle Seahawks for the unprecedented sum of $11 million--is brash, outspoken, and uninhibited. He wears gold earrings, has a multi-colored mohawk, and plays football like a monster. He's also smart, savvy, and irresistibly likeable in this, his story. 25 photos.
Published August 1st 1988 by DoubleDay

To ask other readers questions about The Boz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boz

Chris Q. Murphy
Aug 27, 2007 Chris Q. Murphy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids who can't decide to be social climbing jocks or freaks like me.
this shit was my bible as a teenager. poorly written by bosworth himself and equally poorly quasi-ghost-written by rick reilly of SI, this book answered every question i had about myself when i was thirteen and asked me a few i hadn't yet thought of.

this self-aggrandizing autobio chronicles the life of a then 20-something, already-ex NFL disappointment, steroid using, athlete-cum-actor-cum-media whore who pre-dated paris hilton by 15 years. weaved into this boast-laden narrative is the over-rid
Sean
Aug 12, 2008 Sean rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
A must read for anyone who followed the prolific career of one of our countries most beloved athletes. What an incredible writer and competitor. A tour de force! If you loved Leviathan or Ulysses but never thought it was in depth enough this is the book for you. This is of course a tough read, and keep a dictionary on hand to understand his vast vocabulary.
Austin Somlo
Aug 13, 2016 Austin Somlo rated it it was ok
The Boz is a weird autobiography about Brian Bosworth who was once a popular football player during the 80's and is now completely forgotten (I saw him in a commercial the past month and had no idea who was that).

In fact, he is only memorable for three things: his haircut, his NFL bust label, and getting run over by Bo Jackson which is, in my opinion, an overrated play because nobody can have stopped him anyway.

The Boz is a totally self-absorbing, narcissistic, and painfully puerile read. If B
Amber
Feb 10, 2014 Amber rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoirs
My mother and sister were huge Seahawks fans (I was ten years old and a Raiders/Bo Jackson fan) and had this book. It wasn't until the late 90's/early 2000's where I was in a weird mood one night and thought it would be really funny to dig this out of storage in the garage and actually read it.

I stopped giggling once I started reading it. Pukeworthy. Maybe if I got stoned beforehand that would have amplified the amusement a little but I doubt it.

Maybe the Boz can get into acting again. If he ju
Ryan Mishap
Oct 08, 2009 Ryan Mishap rated it did not like it
Another one of those "reading because I'm afraid to sleep" things--I don't know why my dad bothered with this, I, at least, have an excuse for reading such crap.
Anyway, loud-mouth, self-centered, arrogant, ignorant jock dictates his vapid life and observations to some sportswriter. You got to love his attempt to make it as an action hero, though, in Stone Cold (which comes well after the events described in this book).
Amy Jones
May 13, 2015 Amy Jones rated it liked it
I watched "Brian and the Boz" and just had to read the book. It was an interesting, entertaining, easy read. However, Bosworth certainly comes across as an immature, petulant man-child. He was only 23 when the book was published, and it ruined his relationship with Oklahoma football for decades -- understandably so, after reading all the prurient details in this book. I'm certain if he could go back, he would run far, far away from Rick Reilly.
Dale
Feb 10, 2013 Dale rated it really liked it
The book itself may not be literary gold, but The Boz was one of first colorful characters that the media followed in college and pro football. There were lots of stories of his college years and some versions of the story about his steroid usage. He is pretty forgettable now unless you're talking about over-hyped busts in the NFL. At the time i read it in the early 90's i had to admit i bought into the hype, so I enjoyed the book.
Davidswriting
Aug 21, 2016 Davidswriting rated it liked it
Personally, I love this book, and quoted it in as many college papers as I possibly could during my film studies days.

To the average reader: It's kind of funny but appeals to a very narrow pool of readers. He talks about Bob Dylan asking for his autograph, and tells a tall tale of one of his roommates shooting 150 machine gun rounds out of his dorm room.
Jeff
Mar 14, 2008 Jeff rated it it was ok
This book ruled when I was in sixth grade (that's why I had to give it more than one star). I cut my hair just like his, but I could never find the sunglasses. Also, some jerk on my football team took the number 44, so I couldn't copy The Boz there either. The one thing that's stuck with me over the years is one of his ten commandments: Only people I care about have opinions I care about.
Rob
Apr 08, 2007 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: College football
Shelves: non-fiction
For what it was, I found it very entertaining. I am not a college football fan but I had read some of the book in the bookstore and found it interesting. A disturbing glimpse into some of the hypocrisy of NCAA, Division-I football. Bosworth candidly admitted he was outrageous in order to market himself and make money.
Brian
Apr 08, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time.

People made a big shit when he came out of college making $11 million over 10 years. How funny is that?

I used to read this to get ready for football season.
Joe
Jan 30, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it
Highly animated stories from an interesting character from the late '80s. He's probably considered a cultural joke now, and his NFL career was a bust, but it's still better than 90% of sports books out there.
Heather Hulscher
Picked this up off my dad's bathroom floor. Boz at times is so very spot on, but ruins it by being a complete tool who is exactly like the people he hates. He said he'd hate his nfl career if he never went to the superbowl and I worry about him
Carmen
Dec 30, 2012 Carmen rated it liked it
Interesting book about a famous character in Norman at the time. He tended to repeat, "Nobody understands the real me."
Jenny
Oct 02, 2007 Jenny added it
Recommends it for: Eva
Don't ask me how, but I have numerous copies of this one. Or, I did anyway! Sorry Jeff!
Ray
Jul 25, 2011 Ray rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Ah, the 80's...who can forget the attitude era? This is an interesting look into one of the more interesting players of the game at that time.
Chase Parsley
Jun 16, 2013 Chase Parsley rated it really liked it
Hilarious and full of insights - the Boz is more interesting than expected!! Some priceless insights include stuff about being recruited by Barry Switzer, how he loves sex, and going to the NFL.
Randie Scott
Apr 02, 2011 Randie Scott rated it it was amazing
This book is about Brian Bosworth and his life leading up to professional football for the Seattle Seahawks. I found it to be very enjoyable reading.
Drfunkenstone
Drfunkenstone rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2008
Aj Woznesensky
Aj Woznesensky rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2010
Brad Gray
Brad Gray rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2009
Michelle Davis
Michelle Davis rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
Nitin
Nitin rated it did not like it
Mar 16, 2012
David Sus
David Sus rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2014
Jarrod Burris
Jarrod Burris rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
John
John rated it did not like it
Jun 17, 2009
James Turner
May 22, 2016 James Turner rated it liked it
An easy read. very entertaining.
Marc Agdish
Marc Agdish rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Mark Suchecki
Mark Suchecki rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Rise and Walk: The Trial and Triumph of Dennis Byrd
  • Russell Rules: 11 Lessons on Leadership from the Twentieth Century's Greatest Winner
  • Ruffians
  • Blue Blood: Duke-Carolina: Inside the Most Storied Rivalry in College Hoops
  • You're Okay, It's Just a Bruise: A Doctor's Sideline Secrets About Pro Football's Most Outrageous Team
  • Pearl Harbor, 1941
  • WWE 50
  • Raising Adopted Children: Practical Reassuring Advice for Every Adoptive Parent
  • Finally Free: An Autobiography